The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

POLL: VOTE: Who Do You Trade?

Who Do You Trade?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. You are the GM. The hockey gods have determined that you can only make one trade of a player making >$2 million. They have also determined the return, and NTC is waived: Who do you trade?

• Eric Staal: Return: Mid first round draft pick, top 6 forward, defensive prospect
    • Cam Ward: Mid first round draft pick
    • Andrej Sekera: mid-late first round pick (UFA next year)
    • Juri Tlusty: mid-late second round pick
    • Jeff Skinner: #2 dman OR similar young forward with upside plus or minus picks if player lower quality
    • Anton Khudoben: Mid first round draft pick
    • Jordan Staal: mid-high first round pick, lower end top 6 forward
    • None. (Assumes Sekera and Tlusty re-sign). I like our group

Feel free to add any trade proposals or critique my alleged return. The poll itself is more for fun, but also to gauge who people would want to move for at least a guess on the possible return.

It can be argued that my returns are generous. Fair enough, but they need to be to see who people would move.

If you stay pat, it assumes you want Sekera and Tlusty to sign, or they should be the choice.

Finally, one Alexander Semin is not on the list because at this point I deem him untradable. Hey, it's my poll. And if that isn't enough, if I put any decent return on him, he'd win by so much it would ruin the whole thing.

Edited by remkin

rem, I voted Skinner, and can't really give you a sound reason why, but just to say that even though he dazzles at times, and I have loved his young, formative years, I really am getting tired of seeing him go down with the puck and attempt to split 2 defenders, only to lose the puck and often succeed in falling down to create a breakout for the other team!

Additionally, his shying away from the front of the net, or inability to win puck battles in corners, suggests that he just is not a Peters man.

I know, that saying this, and if he is in fact traded, that decision will likely come back to haunt this team, but that one move may be the catalyst to a whole new team??

Skinner is in play. He is also concussion prone, and in a couple years a NTC kicks in.

The thing about a Skinner deal is we might get no warning. No rumblings until a deal is either done or nearly done.

The key on trading Skinner is return. A GM is not going to trade that many future points from such a young dazzling star without a serious return. Boston kind of did that w/ Seguin and is probalby not feeling great about it right now.

Unfortunately, have to factor that in. Even if not an immediate retirement, just enough to never let him really hit is full potential. If this were a non contact game Skinner would be right at the top.

I voted Skinner, Kjun summed it up pretty well. Lots of potential but I am seeing him regress, or at least not progressing. Too many holes in his game and like Kjun said I don't think he is a Peters type of guy.

He is also under contract for a few more years and I am already resigned to the fact that next year will be more of the same. Let the contracts of Ward, E. Staal, Liles, etc. expire next year if that is what has to happen and then make real changes for the 2016/2017 season. With those contracts expiring it may also be easier to trade them as rentals next year.

No way do I trade Jordan Staal or Khudobin at this point.

I'm fine with trading Tlusty, Ward, E. Staal, and any UFA if the return is there.

As we all know Sekera is a tough one. I like having him here, he seems like a true professional, but it's likely that he will look for greener pastures, with the key word being "green."

Edited by Kyrule

I voted Semin for a BoBerry biscuit since I'm the GM.

I think a BoBerry may be an overpayment and a little more return than we could get.  I'd take some expired Hardees coupons and some dead D-cell batteries. 

I voted Ward due to age, salary, and return; however, I think those trade proposals are very inflated.  We would not get that kind of return for any of those players not named Staal.

I am open to people posting here what they think the returns would be.

I did set them optimistic, but hopefully realistically.

My vote was based on my prediction of what's actually going to happen.

Tlusty.

ETA: although, after today's posts, it looks like the last may have been a premonition on your part Rem!

Edited by Whattausay

Yeah Whattauay,

I had no idea. I better start thinking more about the consequences of my posts. And that goes for everyone else on here too.  

Just kidding top!

I don't think we'll re-sign Sekera before the trade deadline and may not by season's end.

Better to get something for him if this is the case rather than letting him walk and we get nothing.

Man, I never would have guessed that Skinner was gonna have such a horrible year. We talk about how its all about drafting and building around the young core. it just seems wrong to get rid of him since he has been our most succesfull draft pick and is very young. However, I just don't know if he's gonna fade off and have a mediocre career or blow up and become a 35goal scorer consistently. Hard to say, it would be a risk that we could really regret. Concussions and a bad performance this year weigh heavily on moving him though. I think its all about the return for me. We would have to get a top 6 proven 25goal 50point plus scorer for him. No draft pick junk, I'm sick of draft picks, they seem to lead nowhere fast and we need help fast.

Edited by danimal-ch1

Moving Sekera seems like somewhat of a "dumb" move. We complain about never having good Defense or a top 4 and than we go and get rid of one of our top D men in recent years. I think we need to build the D around Sekera and Faulk, at least we have a top two pairing. All other D is expendable and will not be missed.

Moving Sekera seems like somewhat of a "dumb" move. We complain about never having good Defense or a top 4 and than we go and get rid of one of our top D men in recent years. I think we need to build the D around Sekera and Faulk, at least we have a top two pairing. All other D is expendable and will not be missed.

I don't think anybody wants to trade him if we can sign him, but that is getting more and more unlikely.

I think you've gotta do your best to move Cam for whatever he's currently worth to make the money to offer to Andrej in my opinion.

Moving Cam to save Andrej? Worth it to this guy.

How plausible is that? Not sure.

Edited by legend-1

Tlusty, buy out Semin, if we can... The rest of the pieces i would keep..And yes, i agree with Legend, we have to keep Andrej.

Edited by dinz

Still ignoring the poll because "none" is not actually an option if it is contingent on re-signing Tlusty and Sekera.

If the reality is what most here seem to think - that he's already as good as gone - Sekera becomes the guy we shop at the deadline, and only to get another potential top-two D-man. If Tlusty doesn't re-up he could be shopped too, but in his case there's no reason. No deadline move does anything for how we finish this year, but keeping Sekera has all kinds of positive implications for the future.

So I'm "voting" for Ronnie's first big move being something of a coup: Re-signing Sekera (and again, Chip Alexander, feel free to do some enterprise reporting about the status of the talks any time you're ready...).

Our needs at D and forward are very different. Tlusty is expendable because IF the brothers Staal keep playing like this you could pretty much put a jersey on a pylon and stick it at the other wing - and pylons are cheap. But that doesn't mean we move Tlusty at the deadline. Let him stay to build his numbers for the UFA market in the off-season, then turn him loose, knowing his salary is what enables keeping Sekera.

Edited by top-shelf-1

. . .

But that doesn't mean we move Tlusty at the deadline. Let him stay to build his numbers for the UFA market in the off-season, then turn him loose, knowing his salary is what enables keeping Sekera.

Ruh??  If you're acknowledging that we're going to lose Tlusty next season anyways, why not get a draft pick in return instead of losing him to free agency?  Either way you lose his salary.  And despite our nice start to the new year, it's not like his staying will contribute to a playoff run.  That ship has sailed unless we're part of a miracle run . . .

Finally voted.  I didn't vote as who "I would trade".  I didn't vote that it would be the trade made.  I just think this guy is not the coach's type of player.  I voted Jeff Skinner.

Last night he got stapled to the bench in the 3rd.  I read on another message board (observation of somebody sitting behind the bench) that Skinner came off the ice and Peters went to talk to him.  After some attitude, Peters walked off and Brindy when down to address Skinner.  It's heresay, but I can see it happening.  I wonder if Skinner is a Peters' guy.  If not, his value would be more to trade him and free up the funds for Sekera.