The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

POLL: VOTE: Who Do You Trade?

Who Do You Trade?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. You are the GM. The hockey gods have determined that you can only make one trade of a player making >$2 million. They have also determined the return, and NTC is waived: Who do you trade?

• Eric Staal: Return: Mid first round draft pick, top 6 forward, defensive prospect
    • Cam Ward: Mid first round draft pick
    • Andrej Sekera: mid-late first round pick (UFA next year)
    • Juri Tlusty: mid-late second round pick
    • Jeff Skinner: #2 dman OR similar young forward with upside plus or minus picks if player lower quality
    • Anton Khudoben: Mid first round draft pick
    • Jordan Staal: mid-high first round pick, lower end top 6 forward
    • None. (Assumes Sekera and Tlusty re-sign). I like our group

Even though at this point, I don't see Skinner nearly as untouchable as I ever have, I'd still go the route of shipping Ward out for whatever. Yes, we are not going to get full value. Yes we may retain some of that cap hit. But the immediate relief of even half his contract let alone 3/4's of it would really help this franchise move on and focus on the future. Not to mention at his age, and with his skills he deserves to be on a team who has a snowball's chance to make the playoffs in the latter parts of his career. And he won't have that here over the next year or so. Ship him out while we can, although honestly, this move probably isn't made until next year when he's a pending UFA. Sekera and Tlusty are most likely gone, as well as McClement and potentially Dwyer too (although I don't see that happening, Dwyer is our best kept secret and if we let him go over a few hundred thousand we are idiots). Beyond that it all depends on what other teams bring to the table. There's no way we trade Skinner just to trade him. It'd be for an overpayment and I doubt anyone does that with his performance this season and his injury history. Time is the only thing we really have, so we can afford to be patient and hope Skinner continues to develop and find a consistent pace with scoring. I also feel we are going to do this with Semin as well. Just hope and wait. I say Semin gets one more year, another dismal outing like this season and he gets bought out. But Skinner is young, has the upside/potential, it's not worth it giving up on him just because.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

Skinner might bring a D-man or a nearly ready prospect D-man to replace Sekera. With proper SRM, there are at least 4 forward prospects in the draft with very good scoring potential, and we should be able to grab one of them. I don't follow draft prospect ratings that closely, but I keep reading on these boards there will be good defense prospects low in the first round. Hopefully we can nab a pick there for Sekera or Sekera+, and we should also have a top 5 pick in the second round. We have all seen what Skinner can do, and it would hurt to see him take off with another team, but I just don't see that he has chemistry with any of our projected top 6 forwards, and he might flourish with another team, hopefully in the Western Conference that has the size, grit and will to protect him. If we get fair value, preferably on the defensive side, then such a trade could work out for both teams and for Skinner.

Sure would have liked to have been a "fly on the wall" at last night's game that RF and Peters attended to hear who they were observing? I guess we'll know soon enough? I'm betting Sekera will be the last to go, as RF attempts to get the best deal?

That has to be one of the hardest thing about GM'ing. When to pull the trigger. I guess you just have to decide what a guy is worth, and see if your price get's met. But in the case of the UFA's there is a deadline. It's like guessing closest to the price without going over, because if you go over, you bust. 

On the one hand, teams with a need get more desperate, but on the other hand they sometimes also go elsewhere to feed the need. 

Still think we are better off keeping Sekera, but if that isn't happening, it would be far far superior to get a pick from a team that ends up missing the playoffs. Kind of obvious, but the draft order for playoff teams is set by how deep they go, so once the team that we have their pick makes the playoffs, they could go deep or even win the cup. If' they're out, we start at pick #15 and go up from there.

So it's a wrap on this poll.

The winner by one vote: Cam Ward.

Of course Tlusty and Sekera were the ones moved at this point. But they were UFA's and it is clear that PK is not going to add a lot of payroll just now. Both of those guys would probably have been looking to get to $3-4 and $5 million and would have been the next teir of players right in and around our big guys. It will be interesting to see what Francis does to shore up the new gaping hole in our already mediocre defense, but we shall see.

Anyway, the biggest things I found interesting in this poll.

1. There was no clear winner. As a board, we do not have a clear idea of what to do with this team.

2. There was stunningly little interest in moving a Staal.

Ironically, at least in the past, THE guy who has been linked to a serious return was Eric to Torotonto. Now their pick is a lottery pick though, where it wasn't when that deal was floated, so who knows if it is still there. But with Toronto in disaster mode, there still could be a move there.....

Anyway, thanks for voting!