The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

AHL moving west

It appears the AHL has decided to move west. The Norfolk Admirals and other east coast Ahl affiliates are moving. The West Coast Division will consist of the Admirals and affiliates of the Los Angeles Kings, San Jose Sharks, Calgary Flames and Edmonton Oilers.

WVEC

Admirals have been good rivals for the Checkers and the closest place I could travel to see the Chex and AHL hockey.

It looks like ECHL hockey will come back to Norfolk. I don't mind ECHL hockey but I will miss the AHL play and seeing the Checkers.

I wonder if I will get to see the Everblades.

AHL is denying a final decision

AHL president Dave Andrews denied that the Board of Governors approved western relocation at his State of the League address on Monday.

but it sure feels like a done deal.

The five teams moving would be

The five teams are Los Angeles, moving from Manchester to Ontario, Calif; Edmonton, moving from Oklahoma City to Bakersfield, Calif;. San Jose, moving from Worcester, to TBA; Anaheim, purchasing Norfolk and shipping it to San Diego; and Calgary, packing up in Glens Falls in favor of Stockton, Calif.

Hmmm.  Does this mean more or less travel for the Checkers?

Keep in mind it isn't official yet  but with Norfolk reporting the sale of the Admirals and now Manchester's media reporting that team is moving I expect it will be official within days. The Manchester ownership has also called a news conference later this week and San Diego media is reporting the return of hockey (Norfolk team) to that area.

It appears travel is still up in the air and who would pay if east coast teams travel west to play or if a separate Pacific Division would play only among themselves. The number of games are also being discussed.

I wonder if this will move the Checkers back into the eastern conference.

Probably NHL western conference teams taking note of the travel problems faced by having their AHL franchises on the other coast.

Hard to call someone up when they're 3000 miles away.

Edited by hopper915

Its offical

Norfolk is one of five cities losing its AHL team. Manchester, New Hampshire’s team, is moving to Ontario, California. Edmonton affiliate Oklahoma City is moving to Bakersfield. The Worcester Sharks are moving to San Jose and the Adirondack Flames are moving to Stockton.

Not sure what it means to the Checkers but bound to be some conference and schedule changes

Full division alignments and schedule formats for the 2015-16 season will be determined by the Board of Governors at a later date.