The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
LakeLivin

POLL: Where do you predict the Canes end up in the 2015 draft? (ignore the lottery)

Where will the Canes end up in the 2015 draft?   

23 members have voted

1. 1. Where will the Canes end up in the 2015 draft? (ignore the lottery)

• 2nd pick
    • 3rd pick
    • 4th pick
    • 5th pick
    • 6th pick
    • 7th pick
    • 8th pick or lower

Ignore the possibility of sliding down a spot if a team below us wins the lottery.

Vote soon. The poll portion will close in a week since there there is so much advantage gained with additional games played, management moves, etc.  Earlier correct predictions get more bragging rights than later correct predictions. 

I didn't even bother listing "1st pick". Let's face it, no one is going to "catch" Buffalo. :wacko:

Edited by LakeLivin

I voted for 3rd.  I know we have been surging lately, but we have 0 depth in the system.  When we trade Sekera, Tlusty, McClement, Dwyer, Gleason, or anybody else, who is going to play those minutes?  We should be in for a Buffaloish slide in the standings.

I say 4th.

It's also the fact that other teams around us are purposely tanking as well.  It's truly amazing how bad the Coyotes are playing.  This team was a contender 2 seasons ago.  Toronto was leading the league in scoring at the top of the year, now they can't buy a goal.  Columbus, Colorado, and Philadelphia were all playoff teams last year.  In the preseason, Edmonton was looked at as a sleeper team to make the playoffs.

I do however think the team ranked last will not get the 1st pick.  It would be awesome if we were to get it.

...and just to get my 3rd pick choice on record early:

"With third pick in the 2015 NHL draft, the Carolina Hurricanes select, from the Erie Otters, forward Dylan Strome.

GP:  53

G:  34

A:  63

TP:  97

PIM:  28

...and just to get my 3rd pick choice on record early:

"With third pick in the 2015 NHL draft, the Carolina Hurricanes select, from the Erie Otters, forward Dylan Strome.

GP:  53

G:  34

A:  63

TP:  97

PIM:  28

I was looking into him yesterday.  The big knock on him is his skating ability.  That's a big deal seeing how we want to get faster.  Scouts said the same thing about Skinner to for what it's worth.

I was looking into him yesterday.  The big knock on him is his skating ability.  That's a big deal seeing how we want to get faster.  Scouts said the same thing about Skinner to for what it's worth.

Of all the tools, skating is considered the easiest to develop.  The knock on him earlier in the year was that his points were a result of McDavid, but his production didn't drop off at all when McDavid was out of the lineup. 

OK, I admit it.  I've been watching sportsclubstats.com for this.  For each team, look near the bottom of their page and he comes up with draft pick probability.

Right now, the computer's best guess is 4th.  I chose 5th in the poll.  Computer also gives decent chance to 3rd, 5th and 6th.

Edited by wxray1

SNAPSHOT:

Noon on Feb 18th (after the Isles game):

3 through 7 have two votes each. 

I was torn between 6 and 7, went with 7, but after last nights game I wish I'd picked 6th.  Hard to factor in SRM as I suspect most of the teams near the bottom will be doing it. . . 

Edited by LakeLivin

OK, I admit it.  I've been watching sportsclubstats.com for this.  For each team, look near the bottom of their page and he comes up with draft pick probability.

Right now, the computer's best guess is 4th.  I chose 5th in the poll.  Computer also gives decent chance to 3rd, 5th and 6th.

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/Eastern/Metropolitan/Carolina.html

HA!  Even the computer gives us 0% chance of catching Buffalo for last place!  (that's not quite exactly what the numbers mean, but close enough)

Lake, I'm the other 7.  My thinking was, when the trades start hitting, whoever's left (assuming there are any) would realize that at the end of the season, they may need jobs somewhere and step up the play.  If history over the past few years proves out again, we've got to rise in the standings.

All this being said, after last night's game I'm thinking lower numbers.

Of all the tools, skating is considered the easiest to develop.  The knock on him earlier in the year was that his points were a result of McDavid, but his production didn't drop off at all when McDavid was out of the lineup. 

My thing is I really want a defensive prospect as I see this team has historically dodged this position.  And you look at most of the championship caliber teams, most of them have drafted there top dman.

However, if we intend on moving away from Eric, which I foresee in the near future, then he will need a successor.  As someone else mentioned in another thread, I felt like this team should've drafted Sean Monaham over Lindholm.  At the time of the draft, we were already set at center with the Staal's, but I felt he could've developed on the third line.  As is, he's already a solid 2nd line center, and will be a first liner one day.  I am proud of Lindholm, as he's made improvements to his game.  He felt he wasn't strong enough at the end of last season, now he's easily our most physical player.  The offense is a little inconsistent, but I think one day he'll be a consistent 60pt player for us.  I said it last year, and i'll say it again, in certain aspects he reminds me a lot of Dustin Brown.  Which some people love him some people hate him, but he's the captain of a 2 time stanley cup winning team.

Anyways getting back on topic, Strome could be another John Tavaras type player.  Assuming we don't somehow land McDavid or Eichel, and if Hanifin's gone by time we draft, I'd be down for drafting Strome.  I want to compile as many 1st rounders as possible.  There are a bunch of good defensive prospects on the back half of the 1st round.  Particularly Jeremy Roy and Brandon Carlo.

Unless i'm reading outdated lists, Hanifin's still 3rd or 4th on most draft rankings outside of TSN.  Like I said, since there are skilled dmen available on the back half of the draft, the smart move would be to draft offense first then use whatever other draft pick we obtain on D.  I wouldn't mind actually having a center who can score goals.  All of our centers are very passive, except we don't having many wingers for them to pass to.  

Lawson Crouse would be a good prospect to have, but like you i think i'd rather have Strome over him.

Lake, I'm the other 7.  My thinking was, when the trades start hitting, whoever's left (assuming there are any) would realize that at the end of the season, they may need jobs somewhere and step up the play.  If history over the past few years proves out again, we've got to rise in the standings.

All this being said, after last night's game I'm thinking lower numbers.

WC-  I was looking at where we currently are (4th), the 4 other teams ahead of us that we're reasonably close to (6 or 7 points), and how we were trending in our play compared to all of those.

Yeah, I was "discouraged" a bit as far as my pick after last night's game. But the Isles are sitting 2nd in the Eastern Conference; it's hard for me to make that subconscious transition from a bottom dweller last year to what apparently is a legitimate power this year.  Wins against the Leafs and Devils in our next 2 games (very doable) will put our "optimistic"  predictions right back on track.  :grin:

Gotta admit, I'm still conflicted over wanting to win individual games vs. better draft position, though.  The rational side of me says "draft position" but then whenever we score a goal the fist goes up into the air . . .

Gotta admit, I'm still conflicted over wanting to win individual games vs. better draft position, though.  The rational side of me says "draft position" but then whenever we score a goal the fist goes up into the air . . .

That sums the season up for me. I can't help wanting to win but if we don't there is the draft

Thanks for the poll Lake. Like it. 

I voted 6th. One reason, that's where we just seem to end up. Right around there. 

It asks for a prediction and that's my prediction, but it would be too bad really.

Thoughts:

We are NOT catching Buffalo. The have been planning this for a while and are executing SRM beautifully. And while I will never count out the world class experts in this area, Edmonton, no one else will catch Buffalo. While Edmonton is very very skilled at getting top draft picks, Buffalo is an astounding -90 goal differential, and if Edmonton gets close, they'll hire Trip Tracy and start him every game until Edmonton gives up trying. 

But we could find a way into second or third. Look if we do move Sekera, and Tlusty, and McClemment, we could get back to some losing. But really, I do think second OR third will take SRM to the point of trading Ward or Skinner or E. This is part of my diabolical plan to trade Ward: get one of our Charlotte guys up here and start getting them some starts. SRM at it's finest. 

Really though if you look at goal differential as a sign of team strength, we have no business in the Buffalo, Edmonton or Arizona triad. We are -27, but complied a lot of that in October, while Arizona and Edmonton are -47 and -42 respectively. And likely both are on the cusp of their own SRM.

So, more likely we find our selves #4 or up. In that next grouping of -20-somethings, NJ, Columbus and the Canes. NJ has 6 points on us w/one game more played, Columbus has 6 points on us, but one less game played. Neither NJ or Columbus is really tanking at this point. 

However, Toronto is. They are falling like a WWII fighter plane that's lost a wing. 1-7-2 in their last 10. Yes they are 4 points up on us, but have also played 2 more games. 

So, Toronto slips past us bumping us to #5, then we play too well and pass either NJ or Columbus into #6, or both into #7.

If we go on a real run, we could slide into #8, but higher than that is nearly impossible. 

Basically the way I see it, if we SRM a bit, we should end up #5-6 (right above Toronto). If we SRM HARD, we could drop to 2-4. If we don't really SRM much at all: 7-8.

Now me, I vote to SRM like crazy and try to get #29. Yes, it is  a year where #29 could be the sucker's spot, but you do still have a 1/3 shot at McEichel and close to pick of the rest of the litter. I'm just kind of tired of being bad enough for most of the year to pick in the top 3, then ending up 5-7.

Edited by remkin

I voted 5th.

I figure if Francis manages to move any player(s) of significance, there is a good chance that everything unravels quickly. With a full roster in Raleigh, Peters would have to plug holes with the players from the press box or with prospects he could get in a trade, considering they are not waiver exempt and they don't want to risk losing them. Semin obviously wouldn't affect our lineup but any combination of Sekera and Tlusty or Ward or Skinner (like some are hoping for), could send us in a free fall. At the very best, I could imagine a staus quo for a few weeks until the adrenalin rush from the shakeup wears off.     

Toronto's swoon is crazy nutz.  Friday's game will be interesting in this regard.

It will be interesting to see how the Leafs perform in front of non-hostile "home team" Leafs fans. :P

If it does turn ugly, what's the over-under for Leafs jerseys on the ice?

Edited by LakeLivin

I chose 6th.  Buffalo has 1st locked up and I think Edmonton has 2nd locked up (although I think the league should ban Edmonton from the 1st round since they don't seem to get the idea).  That leaves the Canes and Arizona tied for now at 3rd.  Toronto seems hell bent on losing at 5 and NJ is about to go into sell mode at 6.  Since this is the time of the year that Gilligan starts getting his raft together and things start going better, I think we pick up those couple of spots and finish with the 6th worst record.  All the teams in 3 thru 6 position will be sellers, but the Canes will be left with the best roster out of those after March 2.

I'm not sure why everybody is automatically giving Buffalo the #1 pick. From the way I read it they have a 20% chance of getting that pick and while that is better than any other team it is far from a lock.

And just for the record I voted 5th pick because that's how we do things. Not bad enough to be awful but not good enough to be good.

I'm not sure why everybody is automatically giving Buffalo the #1 pick. From the way I read it they have a 20% chance of getting that pick and while that is better than any other team it is far from a lock.

And just for the record I voted 5th pick because that's how we do things. Not bad enough to be awful but not good enough to be good.

We're ignoring the lottery, so we're talking about where teams finish, not where they actually pick.

And while you're right about Buffalo's chances at McDavid, they seem a lock for McEichel.

Edited by LakeLivin

We're ignoring the lottery, so we're talking about where teams finish, not where they actually pick.

But the poll is named "Where will the Canes end up in the 2015 draft?" and actually references picks. That is not "Where will the Canes finish the season?" as you seem to suggest.