The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
LakeLivin

POLL: Where do you predict the Canes end up in the 2015 draft? (ignore the lottery)

Where will the Canes end up in the 2015 draft?   

23 members have voted

1. 1. Where will the Canes end up in the 2015 draft? (ignore the lottery)

• 2nd pick
    • 3rd pick
    • 4th pick
    • 5th pick
    • 6th pick
    • 7th pick
    • 8th pick or lower

Ignore the possibility of sliding down a spot if a team below us wins the lottery.

Vote soon. The poll portion will close in a week since there there is so much advantage gained with additional games played, management moves, etc.  Earlier correct predictions get more bragging rights than later correct predictions. 

I didn't even bother listing "1st pick". Let's face it, no one is going to "catch" Buffalo. :wacko:

But the poll is named "Where will the Canes end up in the 2015 draft?" and actually references picks. That is not "Where will the Canes finish the season?" as you seem to suggest.

True, technically you're right. The first post in the thread explains the "rules", but I guess people coming in late may miss the first page. 

The problem with using "Where will the Canes finish the season?" is that draft order is much more commonly referenced and therefore more "intuitive" than season placement. If asked the other way around, I'd find myself doing the subtraction from 31 to end up with "draft order" anyways.  But I'll see if I can come up with an efficient re-wording to make it more exact.

Edited by LakeLivin

I almost had a bout of lawyer-esque arguing with LakeLivin over the same issue... until I read the first post.   :)

A tweaked title might help.

Edited by wxray1

I almost had a bout of lawyer-esque arguing with LakeLivin over the same issue... until I read the first post.   :)

A tweaked title might help.

I tweaked the title and the poll question right after my last post.  Is it still ambiguous? :unsure:  

A while ago it was rumored that Toronto would trade their #1, a defenman and either Kadri or Bozak for E.

As Toronto falls like a BASE jumper with a faulty parachute, wouldn't it be something to have made that deal if, in fact is was ever there?

Probably have two picks in the first 5, and then possibly one later for Sekera....

I picked 6th. There seems to be zero interest in losing a single game which IMO brings us to 4th, then there are teams above us who appear to be in total SRM mode and diving quickly which brings us to 6th. Just my opinion...

SNAPSHOT:

Noon on Feb 22nd (after the Devils game):

3rd pick (3 votes [16.67%])

4th pick (3 votes [16.67%])

5th pick (3 votes [16.67%])

6th pick (5 votes [27.78%])

7th pick (4 votes [22.22%])

Edited by LakeLivin

I voted for 4th. Columbus and NJ have 6-8 points on us, and hopefully that is enough of a cushion to stay behind them. I did not foresee Toronto going into full-on Buffalo mode, so now I would say 5th most likely, but no lower. If we can get a 1st for Sekera or Sekera+,we could have 3 picks in the top 35. Hope for someone near NHL ready with high offensive upside w/earliest pick, then use next 2 picks on best available D prospects. 10 years of sub-par defense has proven JR's strategy of trying to develop a defensive corps from FAs and trades does not work. I think Ronnie gets that.

"FINAL" VOTE:

Noon on Feb 25th (after the Flyers game):

3rd pick (3 votes [15.79%])

5th pick (3 votes [15.79%])

6th pick (5 votes [26.32%])

7th pick (4 votes [21.05%])

I'm considering this the final vote tally, i.e., votes coming after this point don't get to count for the purposes of bragging rights.  Of course, everyone is welcome to continue discussing our upcoming draft position here if they so desire.

Gotta admit, I'm still conflicted over wanting to win individual games vs. better draft position, though.  The rational side of me says "draft position" but then whenever we score a goal the fist goes up into the air . . .

What makes it worse is that we've been in this spot over and over and over. At some point the rational side has to say "enough" we need to break this cycle so we're not here again and again until there are no fans left.

But then it always feels better to win just the same.

More than anything else I would love to stop having to have this discussion. 'click' More than anything else I want to stop having this discussion. 'click' More than anything else I want to stop having this discussion. 'click' More than anything...

What makes it worse is that we've been in this spot over and over and over. At some point the rational side has to say "enough" we need to break this cycle so we're not here again and again until there are no fans left.

But then it always feels better to win just the same.

More than anything else I would love to stop having to have this discussion. 'click' More than anything else I want to stop having this discussion. 'click' More than anything else I want to stop having this discussion. 'click' More than anything...

Well, Ron signed McClement to a 2 year deal.  JR would have given him a contract longer than his mortgage.  that's a change.

So at the moment, baring a huge collapse, we've just about played our way out of the top 3.

Buffalo is uncatchable for last, being 12 points back, two more games played, and not good enough to win it's way up to us.p

Edmonton is 9 points back, but again, two more games played, makes them more like 11 points back. While they are masters of the tank, they do seem to be at least folding a few wins in, but are effectlvely out of reach.

Arizona is 8 pounts back, but again, two more games played would be more like 10 points back. But Arizona is in full on no holds barrred SRM and even tank mode. They just traded what little semblance of NHL talent they had and had lost 9 IN A ROW even before that.

Watch Buffalo, because they are only 4 points away from Arizona who seems intent on losing every game from here on.

So the McEichel battle will come down to those three (Buffalo, Arizona and Edmonton) and we are out of that. It will be interesting watching that tank battle for last.

We are tied for 4th pick currently with Toronto. But, again, Toronto has played two more games, so we are really 5th. But Columbus has played one more game and is only one point ahead of us. So we are right on the 5-6 cusp at the moment.

NJ is 7 points up and not tanking, but like everyone else has games played x 2 on us. Dallas is 9 points up as is Ottawa. None of Ottawa, NJ, or Dallas seems to be tanking. 

So the best bet right now is that we pick 5 or 6. I'm sticking with my original #6.

Edited by remkin

I originally picked 7th but am now thinking 6th.  I just don't see how we stay at 4th or worse. As previously noted, players tanking just isn't a reality. This year and even last, our guys played hard right to the end, in spite of no chance at playoffs. 

I can't see what additional SRM moves we'd make beyond Sekera and Tlusty, and so far that hasn't bit us (granted, sample size=1). Maybe bring Kirk Muller back to finish out the season coaching? :P

Toronto has firmly surpassed/fallen below the Canes in the standings and they aren't looking back/forward. Columbus has us by 5 points, so it's looking like the 5 pick (lottery not considered).

Well, that's a 7-point lead after the Columbus win last night. That win likely locks us into #5........prior to the lottery.  I can't imagine we could overtake Toronto and their own purpose sucktitude.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Toronto does seem to be in full on tank, but we have a defense of Faulk, Hainsey and "insert name here" x 4 at the moment and we're facing a pretty tough line up of teams.

We seemed to have slid into our own dismal state and then rebounded with Ottawa, but Montreal suggests that maybe Ottawa was the outlier and things could get ugly.

Given our defesnse, continued fecklessness from Semin and E in particular, and the teams we'll be lining up against, 4th is still a lot more likely than 6th, but 5th is the best bet.

Edited by remkin

Three out of 20 people correctly picked 5th. The "winners" are:

wxray

Whaler1

richardfoc

:winner::applause:  :groupwave::ohyeah::banana::applaud::woohoo:  :winning:

Now let's hope that the "semantics thing" about finishing order vs. draft order becomes relevant because the Canes win the draft lottery!

Edited by LakeLivin

My next prediction: Canes don't win lottery, but thankfully also do not move down.  Arizona wins lottery.

Maybe I should give a try at the bracket?  I never tried in the past.