The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
wxray1

Playoff obsession - why can't we just enjoy the games?

Folks, I've been thinking a lot of about how in Hockey especially, we are play off obsessed.  Sure, it is in all sports, but because of the intensity of the second season of NHL hockey, we are completely consumed by making the playoffs -- right from game 1.

I wish we could just enjoy the games as they come.  But it seems like we can't.

I literally was dreaming about this last night, after the Toronto game.  I mean, the game was OK, but the teams and crowd were just going through the motions.  "meh" as the youngsters say.

So, in my dream, the following improvement ideas came to mind.  These have been thrown around before.  But I really think it is time.

Point System

• 3 points for a regulation win
  • 2 points for an OT win
  • 1.5 points for a SO win
  • 1 point for an OT/SO loss
  • 0 points for a regulation loss

The shootout half-point is optional.  Mostly, we need to get to the 3 point system.  This would really ramp up the play of teams behind.  Putting away a team in front of you with a "6 point" jump would be huge.

Overtime

• 3 minutes of 4 on 4, 3 minutes of 3 on 3
  • The shootout is too compelling, so keep it, but award only 1/2 point to the winner

None of this will probably ever happen and this thread will just go into the NHL dumper.  But thanks for listening.  Have a good day.

Some good points Xray. In a league where over half the teams make the playoffs each year a drought like ours is an issue. Playoff hockey is just so good, that not making it is an issue.

But I completely agree with a three point system and have been advocating for it for a couple of years now. No team has made the playoffs if out by more than 10 points at the All Star break since like 1992 or something. The reason is all the teams that eak out one point here, one point there. Teams playing for ties.

I love the 3 on 3 option before SO and have been an advocate on here for that for a couple of years also.

I don't like a half point though. 3 points for a win, 2 points for an OT or SO win, 1 point for an OT loss.

I can enjoy games some, but I want a consistently winning, playoff team here for the long run, so I can't help but say, if this team can't get it done, let's get picks and a highe pick and change the future.

Edited by remkin

I like 3 pts for a win in regulation.  3 points for a win in OT (no loser pt) with 5 min of 4 on 4 and 5 min of 3 on 3.  2 pts for a shootout win and 1 for a shootout loss.  A team shouldn't get full credit (3 pts) for winning in a game of Rock, Paper, Scissors...er...oh, the shootout.   Just making it to OT doesn't guarantee a pt.  It would put additional pressure on teams to get the job done during actual play.

The main thing I want to see is every game worth the same amount of total points, not some worth 2 and some 3.

I like 3 pts for a win in regulation.  3 points for a win in OT (no loser pt) with 5 min of 4 on 4 and 5 min of 3 on 3.  2 pts for a shootout win and 1 for a shootout loss.  A team shouldn't get full credit (3 pts) for winning in a game of Rock, Paper, Scissors...er...oh, the shootout.   Just making it to OT doesn't guarantee a pt.  It would put additional pressure on teams to get the job done during actual play.

The main thing I want to see is every game worth the same amount of total points, not some worth 2 and some 3.

I like this.  Play to win, not play to not lose.

Trying to comprehend your post, but I'll opine anyway. I have no problem enjoying the games as they come...as long as i'm not paying big bux for the privledge. Next year I'll remain a Canes fan and I'll do what seems like the majority on this board and Canes Country posters do...watch from home for (almost) free.

It's easy for folks to have an opinion and "hold out hope for the future" when the majority of them have no skin in the game as STHs. Just my opinion here and I'm not trolling, but I think it's time to put up or shut up. If fans are not willing to sacrifice a chunk of their income to tangibly support this team, then in my opinion they're just making noise.

The team has been bad for years and it appears as though next year will be no different. PK is in trouble financially and that's reflected on the ice. I've paid (real money--not a cable bill) for the privledge of watching this team through all of these losing seasons. Blame JR/PK all you want for the position we're in. Either way, if you think opposing fans filled the arena this year; wait until next. When the most satisfaction a Canes fan can get is occasionally sending opposing fans home unhappy, then that's a problem.

Great topic wxray. Unfortunately, from what I've heard on XM and read elsewhere we won't be going to a 3 points system without some regime change in the commish's office :)

Trying to comprehend your post, but I'll opine anyway. I have no problem enjoying the games as they come...as long as i'm not paying big bux for the privledge. Next year I'll remain a Canes fan and I'll do what seems like the majority on this board and Canes Country posters do...watch from home for (almost) free.

It's easy for folks to have an opinion and "hold out hope for the future" when the majority of them have no skin in the game as STHs. Just my opinion here and I'm not trolling, but I think it's time to put up or shut up. If fans are not willing to sacrifice a chunk of their income to tangibly support this team, then in my opinion they're just making noise.

The team has been bad for years and it appears as though next year will be no different. PK is in trouble financially and that's reflected on the ice. I've paid (real money--not a cable bill) for the privledge of watching this team through all of these losing seasons. Blame JR/PK all you want for the position we're in. Either way, if you think opposing fans filled the arena this year; wait until next. When the most satisfaction a Canes fan can get is occasionally sending opposing fans home unhappy, then that's a problem.

Hi weehawk,

Well, my intent was not to make it about GM or owner moves.  If you thought that, it wasn't what I was thinking.

It is less about this Canes team in the South, and more about the state of NHL hockey in general.

In summary:

1) Playoff hockey rules, so we get jazzed by it

2) Is there a way to make the regular season more enjoyable, and for teams to put more into them?  Hence the point discussion.

This was a difficult year because the Canes were out of it so fast.   And that's reflected in attendance, and that's where you went, which is OK.

If the regular season games were not so diluted, perhaps "casual southern fans" would buy in more.  I dunno.

Edited by wxray1