The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

Flash Poll: Are We Done Yet?

Flash POLL: Should We be Done for Now?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. So the big UFA's are gone. The deadline is a few days off. Outside of the remaining UFA's should Francis make any major moves before the deadline?

• Yes. Try to move a major player if the return is good now, before the deadline
    • No. Make one or two big moves in the offseason before the draft.
    • No. UFA moves were the ones that needed to be made. Let this core try again next season with a couple of UFA picks ups in the offseason.

So, we have moved the two big UFA's. Low return on Tlusty, pretty good return on Sekera, (though not as good as Sekera himself, but I guess we had no choice). We may move McClement for a lower pick, or Dwyer etc, but the big UFA moves were made.

Francis has suggested he's not likely to make a big splash before the deadline, but should he?

This poll will only be up until the deadline or a little bit after, so vote now if you want to vote.

Should Francis try to move a major player, or two? Possibly pick up another draft pick maybe even a lottery pick (Eric) and or more. 

As always, this poll assumes that Semin is out of play since he's been out of play on the ice for so long.

There are two No's and one Yes. I am hoping to see A. Do people want a major move before the deadline, and if NO, do the remainder want a deal before next year?

Anyway, this is a flash poll because it will only be pinned for a few days.  I have unpinned my other poll.

Edited by remkin

rem, the 1st vote was mine, and I believe something of more substance by way of moves has to be done. Further, I may be in the minority, but I think ESTAAL is coming around, thus I just can't believe Ronnie is ready to cut those ties. My question, Does RF have a similar attachment to one Jeff Skinners,, whom to me is almost as much of an enigma as is Semin?

Now, in a somewhat "nitpicking category, is it McClemment or as I think, McClement? Just kidding my friend. On 2nd thought, does your damn spell checker keep making this correction? Drives me up the wall! Tried 4 times to get Semin's name correct that the wisdom of my spell checker keeps spelling Semen, Then there's Skinner, that comes out Skinners?? WTH, doesn't it discern that PROPER names don't follow grammatical rules. Compound that with not helping out with spelling on words I can't recall how to spell, and I get furious.

Edited by KJUNKANE

I voted "yes" since I would want him to make any trade that the return was good or beneficial to the team.  No need to wait until the off season to do it, but also no rush to do anything with anyone other than UFA's that will not be resigned.

I voted yes. If you could move a major player and the return is good, why wouldn't you do it?

I think it would also send a clear message that real change is upon us, and the march towards the future starts now. It would tell the fan-base that "we like our group" isn't the case anymore. This could be done in the offseason of course, but the sooner the message gets out there, the better IMO (but not at the cost of a better return).

Of course management may still like our group, and God help us if that's the case.

The coach is instituting a good system and makes players accountable. He has them

playing a great brand of hockey that is fun to watch again. (No one expected Jordan to

be down for 1/2 the season but it impacted our standing in wins/losses in the early going.)

Except for Semin---all the negativity about the core group is very strong on this board---

but I disagree. (Would like to see Semin's bloated contract gone so that we had funds for

another piece or two.) Other than that, I fail to see the wisdom of trading players just for the

sake of "doing something".

Unfortunately we got rid of a great defenseman, and I think replacing him will be more

difficult than we think. But he was offered a chance to stay and didn't take it so RF needed

to get something for him, and he did.

I am not in the camp of trading Cam or the Staals--that situation will play out next year as Cam's

and Eric's contracts wind down. So I voted for #3 in the poll above.

Tough decison to make, of course we would all like the core to work out with a few new faces next year.  However, we have given it two years and two coaches and it hasn't..  Time to rip the band aid off immediately and get it over with.  make a couple huge trades that will bring tears to our eyes but a winning culture back.  Do it now, not later, we are losing the fan base, we need hope and change.

We have a lot of work to do,why wait?? Entertain all potential trades and offers. I 4 1 do not want to see Tlusty back.It's time to stop the Rutherford retread mentality.

Tough crowd-----so we trade our best players if we get an offer----and then wait another

3-4 years of re-build to get playoff ready?  What do you think that will do for the fan base?

The whole re-alignment has been stacked against small market teams, especially in the

East. I am all for changing the "culture" of JR. But that effort has to be balanced with

having skill on the team. If we try to build that from the draft and bit pieces, that will take time. Look

at the Oilers. Key veterans are needed to balance out with the young, skilled up and comers.

I am glad smarter minds that me, and maybe some of you----are working on the long term plan.

Edited by UNCCaniac8

Yes,veterans are needed to balance out the young players,but that doesn't mean it has to be Staal or some of the other high priced veterans we have on the team who have taken us nowhere. It looks more like we will be holding onto Eric for another year, (I'm disappointed).  Until we move some of the big contracts that have not executed we are going to endure more painful years to come.

need to move the high $ contracts that are not providing  ROI,  At least Ward is somewhat returning to form and J. Staal is returning from injury.  The team dug such a deep hole at the start of the season contention for a playoff berth became unlikely

So we're about to get a final answer on this.

It is interesting that about half the people want a big time trade before the deadline and half don't.

But only 19% want to keep the band together in the end.

Recent rank speculation from Brett Slawson of The Hockey Writers: 5 bold NHL Deadline predictions:

Predicts a possible Eric Staal trade:

http://thehockeywriters.com/5-bold-nhl-trade-deadline-predictions/

The last paragraph:

"The best destination for Eric Staal could be an up and coming team such as the Edmonton Oilers, who could use a star center man with playoff experience to help guide their young team to the next level. Also, the Oilers have plenty of young players and prospects who could be moved in order to acquire Staal, making a potential deal extremely tempting to Ron Francis.

Chance of a Staal Trade: 35%"

Interestingly Brett Slawson covers none other than....the Edmonton Oilers.

So we're about to get a final answer on this.

It is interesting that about half the people want a big time trade before the deadline and half don't.

But only 19% want to keep the band together in the end.

Recent rank speculation from Brett Slawson of The Hockey Writers: 5 bold NHL Deadline predictions:

Predicts a possible Eric Staal trade:

http://thehockeywriters.com/5-bold-nhl-trade-deadline-predictions/

The last paragraph:

"The best destination for Eric Staal could be an up and coming team such as the Edmonton Oilers, who could use a star center man with playoff experience to help guide their young team to the next level. Also, the Oilers have plenty of young players and prospects who could be moved in order to acquire Staal, making a potential deal extremely tempting to Ron Francis.

Chance of a Staal Trade: 35%"

Interestingly Brett Slawson covers none other than....the Edmonton Oilers.

I'll take the word of RF over an Oil fanboy. Ronnie says the Staals are going nowhere at deadline, and even if Eric were, I can't see him waiving to go to Edmonton, where summer is August first through the fifth. 

I did think Skinner might be the odd man out, but the way things have developed - and frankly, the way this team has been energized since the departures of our UFAs - I'm no longer sure that anyone's salary is under scrutiny, save Semin. We obviously freed enough space to sign McClement, and that is very big given the fourth line's success and his PK and face-off expertise.

With Chicago getting Vermette to fill the Kane void, and the Rangers inking Mats, it looks like the demand for top-six forwards among teams in the Cup hunt has been met, and that the only thing left is for teams with pending UFAs to unload them today in hopes of getting at least a little something back - or to giving guys like Kidlicky in Jersey, who are older and may be nearing their last chance at a Cup, that opportunity.

On our remaining UFAs, I could see us taking whatever we can get for Dwyer if someone were to come calling, but who would? Besides, BP likes Dwyer's work ethic, and it's not like he's costing us much, so just sitting on him and trying to sign him in the off-season if no one makes an inquiry makes sense (versus shopping him). Same with Bellemore and Terry, both being guys about whom BP has spoken highly, recently.

It feels to me like we have (here it comes...) "the group" we want, other than Sasha, at least for now. The summer could see more dealing, but - again, other than Sasha, for whom we should be thrilled to get a trash bag full of broken sticks - dealing high-dollar guys today assures getting too little back, with most of the needs we've been hearing about around the league having been met. I think RF was very calculating and made his deals before the 11th hour specifically to avoid that pressure, and the result, as coastal pointed out in another thread, is that we now have as many draft picks as any team. If we're following the Detroit model, that's exactly what we need at this stage.

If we can dump Sasha over the summer and pick up an NHL D-man, we may well be set for the fall.

Edited by top-shelf-1

4 trades and a signing not bad. The typical UFA damage has been minimalized and we didn't sign a sucker contract with Sekera.

Still waiting for the major shakeup move which I'm hoping is buying out Semin in the summer. No telling how much better this team is if Semin has 50-60 points right now.

Does look like we're mostly done outside of stragler UFA contracts. But of course he left the door open a crack with "did not expect" to move anyone not a UFA.

I agree that E. being traded is more of a long shot than the 35%, mainly because the team is playing better and of course brother Jordan.

I will say that the notion of Edmonton as the destination would make sense if E didn't have the NTC though. Basically, an E. trade would not be a rental to a playoff team. He would be a major addition to a team in need of him. Further, the deal that might really tempt a GM with an eye to a rebuild would be a deal for a truley good young prospect and a HIGH first round draft pick.

Edmonton has that in spades. Of course would Edmonton trade their "3 points from McEichel" lottery pick for E? Seems unlikely but then Edmonton is a team that has been down the "if we just get this top pick" road and are the poster boys for cautionary tales on going from worst to first by drafting high, so you never know. I agree though that E. would almost certainly block that trade.

But what about Toronto? That seems like an outside chance. Most Canadian boys have a desire to play for the Leafs and E might give that a look. Right now Toronto is picking #4. Seems that if E is going anywhere, that would be the place.

Francis is sort of putting out the word that he is mostly done, and most often that is what happens. But he has reportely also been taking offers on Ward and Skinner and even trying to move Semin, so if say Toronto came with a great offer for one of those and offered their first rounder in the deal....never know. Probably not though.

Edited by remkin

None of that really makes any sense for a last minute deadline deal. What would be the point? Except trying to beat someone to the punch but its not like ppl are beating down the doors for E and he's not really being put out there as available for trade....

None of that really makes any sense for a last minute deadline deal. What would be the point? Except trying to beat someone to the punch but its not like ppl are beating down the doors for E and he's not really being put out there as available for trade....

Not much to do up there, especially when competing against many other media.  So, make crap up to occupy your time and look likeyou are working.  Doesn't have to make sense.  35%.  Ha ha ha ha.

I don't expect any deals possibly involving our "big ticket" items to be explored until the draft.  Teams in the hunt don't really have the kind of cap space available to take on an EStaal or a Skinner, nor do they have the requisite high draft choice that RF would be looking for if he was even thinking it.  Semin is basically untradeable in my opinion, even at 50% off.  The only possibility I see is a trade to LA for Richards this summer if they were going to buy him out.  A Semin buyout would cost LA less and Richards would be some kind of asset that the Canes could use and actually cost less money for the next 3 years than Semin would cost.  Richards would be a longer term deal, but it may be an option.

Edited by super_dave_1

I wouldn't mind seeing the Canes do something at the deadline to rid ourselves of Alex Semin and his contract now.  IMO, he's clearly not going to be on the team when the season starts next October.  A fresh start somewhere else might be in his and the Canes best interest.

I doubt that happens before 3 pm today, but I think he's gone at some point.

I think it is a good point about a Staal or Skinner deal could just as well be done in the offseason, as long as it's ahead of the draft.

To me a Staal deal would likely be Toronto, but that's if it ever happened. On the cap, and now, that is a good point too. I don't know Toronto's cap situation, though they are rumored to be wanting to move Kessel and we would probably take back a pick and a player that would lessen the cap hit.

I guess another long shot would be a playoff team not thrilled with it's goalie situation, and Ward, but none jumps to mind.

But hey, I agree, these are long shots. Franics is probably just sitting back fielding any offers on Dwyer. The only thing is sometimes GM's are just in a trading mood and a deal gets done now. Unlikely.

I agree w/ Coastal though. If any playoff team is wiling to take a shot at Semin, who if he turned it on could be a major player....yes. But not likely either.

A couple more hours

Edited by remkin

But hey, I agree, these are long shots. Franics is probably just sitting back fielding any offers on Dwyer. The only thing is sometimes GM's are just in a trading mood and a deal gets done now. Unlikely.

We'll see how it all ends up after a year or two, but RF doesn't strike me as an "In the mood" kind of guy.

I didn't mean Franics would suddenly get "in the mood". I am saying another GM might. Many GMs are churing their trade juices right now, so sometimes a trade pops up. I am guessing Francis is bascically done, maybe trying a long shot deal at moving Semin, But if say Toronto said, "you know what? What about that Staal trade we were kicking aroung before? What if we sweeten the pot?".

Trades do happen that way sometimes.

But again, as I led with, these are long shots.

I think it is a good point about a Staal or Skinner deal could just as well be done in the offseason, as long as it's ahead of the draft.

To me a Staal deal would likely be Toronto, but that's if it ever happened. On the cap, and now, that is a good point too. I don't know Toronto's cap situation, though they are rumored to be wanting to move Kessel and we would probably take back a pick and a player that would lessen the cap hit.

. . .

Toronto should have some cap space following the Clarkson - Horton trade ["So much for the untradeable player with the unmovable contract"].  http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/clarkson-for-horton-trade-a-legal-and-brilliant-circumvention-of-the-salary-cap/

But, given the zoo that Toronto has become (actually, it's moved way beyond a zoo), I can't see E approving a trade there . . .  

Edited by LakeLivin

But it is Toronto! The NY Yankees of Hockey.

Yet, even if we were to revisit that idea, it really does make more sense as an offseason thing.

I didn't mean Franics would suddenly get "in the mood". I am saying another GM might. Many GMs are churing their trade juices right now, so sometimes a trade pops up. I am guessing Francis is bascically done, maybe trying a long shot deal at moving Semin, But if say Toronto said, "you know what? What about that Staal trade we were kicking aroung before? What if we sweeten the pot?".

Trades do happen that way sometimes.

But again, as I led with, these are long shots.

Yes, long shots.

Phil Esposito was talking about that topic this morning.  He says it is extremely rare to get a deal out of the blue.  It does happen, but very, very rare.  He says most trades you see are a product of many calls and conversations usually over weeks or months, or even from long held discussions.  As you say, Rem, perhaps it could be the final consummation on something that has been kicking around for some time.