The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caneswincup

It's that time of year...Season Ticket Renewal email

Top, you are right about the footprint the Canes are shooting for. Notice that they are the "Carolina Hurricanes" and not the "Raleigh Hurricanes". They are marketing to all ends of the state (and SC too), and they have to because there aren't enough close by to completely support the team. These recent changes are most hurtful to those out of town fans that want to commit, but can not work a full STH package into their life. Someone in Greensboro, Winston Salem, Greenville, Fayetteville, etc. may be able to handle the small partial plan, but a full STH package does not make sense. Drastically increasing the cost per game for a single ticket is going to alienate many. I was told that the new "flex plan" is what research, surveys, and feedback from fans wanted. Well, they didn't survey me.

As for the generous policies in the past of ticket exchanges and vouchers, the Canes couldn't sell those tickets anyway. They may as well use that as an incentive to get people to the game. This is where the changes make no sense. I told my rep that about the vouchers. Why remove a benefit that cost nothing to give, and you can't sell the darn seats anyway. If and when the Canes ever start selling close to capacity, then removing those makes sense.

Vouchers were great with the 12 game plan and gave a lot of flexibility. You could pick up two additional games of your choice or pick up extras to current games to take friends or family. Losing those and a game in the package (12 to 11 games)is not an even trade off to me for the new flex plan. I don't care how "exciting" the sales staff claims it to be.

Edited by super_dave_1

Had good conversation concerning mini plans with Don and PJ .   There is alot of information not presented here about how it will all work.  They acknowledged that issue.   I referred this to this as being asked to "buy a pig in a poke".   I also said that people that lve farther away have alot of difficulty with utilizing  Full Plans.  People in town dont pay as much per seat when you figure in the travel cost.  Not to mention just getting to games after work.  BUT- these fans are probably some of the most dedicated .  I would hope they realize this. They also indicated adjustments could possibly be made during the summer. It appears the number of games restricted for silver and gold will be fairly small. I did tell them the jury is still out and we will have to see how it goes.  Wait and see.   

You mean there is a lot of information not presented in their own marketing materials.  Total failure on their part in communication.

At the game Sunday I got a few more tidbits of info from fellow fans who spoke to the tix reps.  There's a lot not said in the material we have access to.

Top, you are right about the footprint the Canes are shooting for. Notice that they are the "Carolina Hurricanes" and not the "Raleigh Hurricanes". They are marketing to all ends of the state (and SC too), and they have to because there aren't enough close by to completely support the team. These recent changes are most hurtful to those out of town fans that want to commit, but can not work a full STH package into their life. Someone in Greensboro, Winston Salem, Greenville, Fayetteville, etc. may be able to handle the small partial plan, but a full STH package does not make sense. Drastically increasing the cost per game for a single ticket is going to alienate many. I was told that the new "flex plan" is what research, surveys, and feedback from fans wanted. Well, they didn't survey me.

As for the generous policies in the past of ticket exchanges and vouchers, the Canes couldn't sell those tickets anyway. They may as well use that as an incentive to get people to the game. This is where the changes make no sense. I told my rep that about the vouchers. Why remove a benefit that cost nothing to give, and you can't sell the darn seats anyway. If and when the Canes ever start selling close to capacity, then removing those makes sense.

Vouchers were great with the 12 game plan and gave a lot of flexibility. You could pick up two additional games of your choice or pick up extras to current games to take friends or family. Losing those and a game in the package (12 to 11 games)is not an even trade off to me for the new flex plan. I don't care how "exciting" the sales staff claims it to be.

I would also add that, while I agree with Swanson about combining with other fans to make up a "full STH," that seems to me to be something that the sales department could - and should - be helping to facilitate. If they can do Ticket Exchange, why not offer a service to help connect current and former STHs of every type based on their geographic location? Folks log in, enter their radius from the arena, and other registrants from a similar distance pop up.

The prevalence of hockey fans here is very different from other markets, where groups of employees, church members, etc., often join up to buy plans. Here there may be one or two hockey fans in many orgs, where in other markets there are far more, even Arizona, where a lot of retirees come from traditional hockey markets.

I grew up in the Philly suburbs and my dad joined with co-workers for four STs at the old Spectrum. The guys who lived in town took weeknights and suburbanites like us - particularly those with kids - got weekend games, when getting in late didn't cause problems at school the next morning. In those days puck drop was regularly at 8 p.m. (except on Sundays when it was 7). Start times are not an issue here, but distances to the arena create the same concerns.

I'm not saying the club should get involved in what members of what I'll call a "purchasing group" go to which games, but it could certainly be proactive about trying to sell more full plans by creating an online tool to help folks who were buying partial plans find each other and go in together on full plans, in the way Swanson suggests.

Edited by top-shelf-1

I'm not saying the club should get involved in what members of what I'll call a "purchasing group" go to which games, but it could certainly be proactive about trying to sell more full plans by creating an online tool to help folks who were buying partial plans find each other and go in together on full plans, in the way Swanson suggests.

You see, the funny thing here is that the previous partial plans allowed fans to do just this with no effort on the Canes part and the Canes were charging more for those partial plan tickets. Win/win. Edited by super_dave_1

On ticket prices: if the Forbes list is to be believed, I'm guessing the drive to increase ticket revenues isn't due to the CBA clause we've been talking about but rather operating losses. 

Only Florida (-$15.6m) is listed as losing more than the Canes last year (-$14.0m).  TB the only other team in double figures at -$11.9m. 

Ten teams listed with operating losses, surprisingly including St. Louis and Anaheim. 

http://www.forbes.com/nhl-valuations/list/

I'm pretty sure the list was published last fall.  Operating income was defined as income before interest, taxes, depreciation, and amortization.

p.s. I'm not taking a stance on whether I think that justifies raising ticket prices or whether I think their strategy will be effective, just pointing out where I think the organization is most likely coming from.

Edited by LakeLivin

You see, the funny thing here is that the previous partial plans allowed fans to do just this with no effort on the Canes part and the Canes could charge more for those partial plan tickets. Win/win.

Wow, then this move is all the more nonsensical. Defies reason, AFAIC.

Maybe it's worth a 15 percent hike with a graciously worded accompanying letter explaining that any future increases will be tied to the team's success. Maybe. But it sure-as-shootin' won't support a 43% increase in one fell swoop.

Good idea Top Shelf, I think Florida offered a late season multi game ticket package a few years ago and it was free or something like that if the team didn't make the playoffs.

Hey Canes, put some skin in the game to show you're serious with this 'commitment to winning' with something similar, like STHers get 25% back if the team misses the playoffs (or 25% off price frozen renewals for 2016-17, etc.)

I think they have a two fold "plan". Hope that they make enough increase in full STH's to make up for the loss in partial plan people. The second is to make the partial plans enticing to fans of other teams who happen to live in the Raleigh area. Let them pick out their couple of games against their favorite team and then whatever else is left. If you get the vibe in the arena of late, the visiting fans are becoming a greater part of the crowd.

SD I think you really hit on something here and after further discussions with my ticket rep this makes too much sense, given the market.  Mostly the "flex" part of the mini plans. 

SD I think you really hit on something here and after further discussions with my ticket rep this makes too much sense, given the market.  Mostly the "flex" part of the mini plans. 

Yep.  The more I think about it, the more I think the 11 game flex pack is for hockey fans, not Canes fans.  They can see the teams they want to see.  I am a Canes fan and really don't care about the opponent.  That's why losing 3 of my 14 games and paying the same price sucks so bad. 

I disagree with a bit of that SD.

Why can't 11-game plans benefit those who live outside of Raleigh, yes us, and those who want to see "their"  teams?

Why isn't that a good thing?

Edited by coastal_caniac

Had good conversation concerning mini plans with Don and PJ .   There is alot of information not presented here about how it will all work.  They acknowledged that issue.   I referred this to this as being asked to "buy a pig in a poke".   I also said that people that lve farther away have alot of difficulty with utilizing  Full Plans.  People in town dont pay as much per seat when you figure in the travel cost.  Not to mention just getting to games after work.  BUT- these fans are probably some of the most dedicated .  I would hope they realize this. They also indicated adjustments could possibly be made during the summer. It appears the number of games restricted for silver and gold will be fairly small. I did tell them the jury is still out and we will have to see how it goes.  Wait and see.   

Good stuff cc.

Wish I could have been a fly on the wall.

Thx for backing up the spider web of Canes fans that go all over.  Particularly those of us that travel regularly.

Canes fans that want the flexibility can reap those benefits too.  Maybe I should have phrased it a bit better.  I think they are trying to devise a plan that fits with hockey fans of other teams as well as Canes fans.  Maybe that is the right direction.  With me it always gets back to the fact that they are effectively raising prices a minimum of 26% per game in my package and justifying that by saying I now have flexibility.  Price doesn't factor in with the same importance to everybody.  With me, it's honestly more of the principle of raising those prices that amount.  I really shouldn't let that make the decision, but I certainly feel that my check book is the only "power" that I have in this relationship.

A ticket rep said Friday that surveys indicated that fans wanted this flexibility.  Maybe I'm the one seeing things the wrong way.  Still one of the biggest issues is as CC has stated.  We don't know what "pig" and what "poke" we are being asked to buy yet.

Edited by super_dave_1

Yep. The more I think about it, the more I think the 11 game flex pack is for hockey fans, not Canes fans. They can see the teams they want to see. I am a Canes fan and really don't care about the opponent. That's why losing 3 of my 14 games and paying the same price sucks so bad.

DITTO- and I told my ticket rep and Mr. Waddle that in my conversation/email.i travel 2 hours from Jacksonville- that makes Full season next to impossible-I picked my pack based on when the games were not who they were- I am a CANES FAN -give me my 12 (14) games cookie!

Edited by Pkling40

They wouldn't need to create it; could just work with splitseasontickets.com like the Ducks, Caps, and Sharks.

They wouldn't need to create it; could just work with splitseasontickets.com like the Ducks, Caps, and Sharks.

good call, caniac-1-1. I didn't know this existed. Why the heck wouldn't the club be doing this?

Some additional information was mailed out, for those who have not seen it yet. It should help those with partial season plans who want to have the same seats for every game:

We apologize for the initial confusion with the new 22 and 11-Game Flex Plans, and we would like to clarify the way seating will work for these plans.

Your account priority, which is based on the size of your ticket plan (22 or 11) and your account creation date, will still determine when your seat selection will be scheduled. Furthermore, you will have the opportunity to lock in the same seats for every game in your plan if you'd like or you can choose to have the best available seats in your price category for each individual game in your plan. The choice is yours.

I see your points and agree that if we just had a winning team, that would change a lot of attitudes.  But as far as the fan zone being bad business -- I don't know.  I mean, if they came out this week and said they were doing away with it, I'd be done as an STH by necessity.  My alternative would be a handful of games a year, and I know I'm not the only one.

Yeah, I'm only renewing next year because i can afford the Fan Zone.  The 22 pack won't be worth it to me.

After the reality of all this has sunk in, and I'm over my temper tantrum of increased prices and decreased plans, I still don't think I know enough about how this is going to work with the part plans. Do you select your games when the schedule is released? Is it like having vouchers that you can redeem when you want to select a game? Are you required to use them "so many before Jan 1"? How do they handle the surcharges for the premium games?

After the reality of all this has sunk in, and I'm over my temper tantrum of increased prices and decreased plans, I still don't think I know enough about how this is going to work with the part plans. Do you select your games when the schedule is released? Is it like having vouchers that you can redeem when you want to select a game? Are you required to use them "so many before Jan 1"? How do they handle the surcharges for the premium games?

According to my ticket Rep- when the schedule comes out you will choose your games and your invoice will be adjusted accordingly- the price on the invoice is based on all bronze games.

Sent this to the "ticket" email address and Waddell, Francis and Daniels.  I'm sure there will be no response.

So my games have gone from 14 (12 game pack and 2 vouchers) to 12 games (11 games and 1 voucher) and the price per ticket has increased.  Along with the fact that the variable pricing based upon opponent and the lack of consistent seat assignment easily made my decision NOT to renew my 4 seats as a long-time season ticket holder.  Thanks for the memories but I will use my $4000 next year on other entertainment pursuits.  Considering the level of product the Carolina Hurricanes put on the ice this season this organization has got some gall with the program as it is laid out for the 2015-2016 season.  Was Don Waddell brought in to destroy the loyal fan base of the Carolina Hurricanes like he did with the Atlanta Thrashers?  Sorry but if anything the Hurricanes should not have tinkered with anything and left the program as it was considering what we the fans bought into this past season.  Word to management – you need to WIN on the ice if you want to put butts in the seats. 

Was Don Waddell brought in to destroy the loyal fan base of the Carolina Hurricanes like he did with the Atlanta Thrashers?

Yeah doubt you are going to get a response with that little tidbit. Did Waddell destroy the fan base in Atlanta? If so how?

At least the fact that they are adding back in one voucher to the 11 game package means they are listening, or at least tired of getting raked over the coals on the issue.

At least the fact that they are adding back in one voucher to the 11 game package means they are listening, or at least tired of getting raked over the coals on the issue.

Perhaps.  They are also "listening" to those of us who are not bowing down to the god of Waddell by not sending in our invoices immediately.  We are many, and we are a force to be felt.

I'll eat the puny 3% food credit on May 1 and continue my little bit of pressure on them.  

Edited by wxray1

Somebody has to "listen" to the lack of fan support this season.  Tickets to the games my have been sold, but how many of these tickets are translated to butts in seats?  Support in the Chat Room has been nonexistent.  What will happen when the average fan decides there are better ways to spend his entertainment $$?

Somebody has to "listen" to the lack of fan support this season.  Tickets to the games my have been sold, but how many of these tickets are translated to butts in seats?  Support in the Chat Room has been nonexistent.  What will happen when the average fan decides there are better ways to spend his entertainment $$?

colliefan: I think that has already happened.

Now, on to other thoughts.  You all may not like this thought, but is on my mind.

JR treated us fans no different than Staal, Semin, Skinner.

We got a sweet deal, and now the new sheriff is putting it to us.  JR was too nice with "ice your price," "fanzone", "vouchers", etc.  Now we are paying.  The new godfather sheriff is playing hardball and making us kiss his ring pay more to the league average.

Thoughts?  I personally despise this thought.  I wish I never had it.