The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caneswincup

It's that time of year...Season Ticket Renewal email

JR treated us fans no different than Staal, Semin, Skinner.  We got a sweet deal, and now the new sheriff is putting it to us.  JR was too nice with "ice your price," "fanzone", "vouchers", etc.  Now we are paying.  The new godfather sheriff is playing hardball and making us kiss his ring pay more to the league average.

It is futile to compare this market with the league average.  We are not NYC, Boston. MTL,  LA or even Winnipeg.  ACC football and basket ball are still kings and prime competitors for the entertainment  $$.  In a market where a team has to make the playoffs to turn a market, this playoff drought cannot continue much longer.

When the team first came here the sport was pretty much a novelty but making the playoffs (yet getting bounced in the first round) created a solid fan base.  Making the SCF in 2002 and  2006 helped solidify that base as did the ECF in 2009.   The team has struggled since then to form an identity.  The team has "nice guys" but no charismatic superstars. There is no one to love (or, to hate).  The team has the same identity as the Durham Bulls or the Carolina Mudcats

I have my own conspiracy theory and maybe I'm crazy.  I hope so.  Based on the shenanigans of both the Canes and the Checkers next year that have upset many fans, my fleeting thought was that there is a concious effort to decrease the # STHs enough to provide leverage for ownership to move the team.

Edit:  I just saw your other post about moving to Vegas, NHL letting the Canes leave, etc.  Yes, you get it. ;)

I'm also a 12 game ticket holder. I called a ticket rep and asked why Mr. Waddell and Mr. Karmanos thought it was a good idea to raise prices substantially coming off 6 seasons without playoffs and 2 abysmal seasons. As noted by someone else, I'm losing my vouchers and paying more for tickets. Also, with the "flex" plan, you are not assured of getting your same seats for evey game unless you are a full season ticket holder.

So... formula for increasing ticket base is to provide an inferior product for 6 years running (and getting worse each year), raise prices substantially, take away STH benefits, and NOT sign one significant free agent or make one trade of consequence in the last 2 years. My cup of frustration runneth over. I suggested the ticket rep have Mr. Waddell monitor these boards. Any conspiracy theories out there?

Edited by Charlotte_Caniac

Wxray - you raise a very interesting point. It will be interesting to watch the Penguins and see how JR operates with a salary cap team rather than a budget team. Most of Pittsburgh's biggest name players are locked up, but he has the challenge of filling out a team when 4 players take up a big share of their cap space.

Ticket rep is adamant that team is locked into Raleigh for the long haul. I can see that ticket prices needed to increase, but a more incremental increase over several years should not have upset STH's much. If the Canes stick with Raleigh, and they should, ticket sales will increase directly in proportion to on ice performance. I like the way Francis and Peters are rebuilding the team, but serious competiveness does not appear to be less than 2 years away. In a year, I'll be more convinced the Canes are here for the forseeable future if further drastic price increases do not happen again next year.

I have made comments/jokes about the team moving, but really the league wants to expand by two teams prior to any moves.  You don't have to be a rocket surgeon to see that the lopsided conferences are pre-planning for two additional western teams.  The owners as a whole do not make money from a team moving.  They want the fees from adding a team, which will be in the hundreds of millions of dollars.  Also, no ticket rep is going to say anything other than "we are here for the long haul". 

I do think they would have been better off spreading a major shift in ticket plans over a few seasons, but I guess there is the idea that it's better to rip the bandage off quickly.  They will lose some STH's, but if the team is on the cusp of returning to relevance, then attendance will bounce back and they will have the ticket structure where they want it.

I sometimes wonder if the repetitive running of the Golden Corral commercial where the family screams at the top of their lungs for way to long is a ploy to get us to buy tickets/come to the games, versus watching on TV?  Been a STH since 08 and I'm not sure which is more annoying.1.Going to the games and watch another loss while being heckled by the opponents fans, or watching at home and having to keep the remote in hand to change the channel to avoid listening to the screams!!  

The Canes will win the Cup in '16.  Why do I say this?  Because for the first time since 2002, I won't be renewing our season tickets.  I know I'll catch the devil from my wife for not renewing.  But after 14 years of being a STH, I reached a point where I said enough is enough.  No more waiting for "next year."  The product on the ice declines (except for '06) while the cost of tickets increases.  I calculated that I've spent well over $100k over the years on the Canes and simply will not continue down this path.  We'll certainly go to a few games, but not all games.

The ticket rep who has been calling my house is certainly being a tenacious little creature.  It may be the standard thing they do to people who don't re-up, but I like to imagine it's because panic is setting in at Canes HQ as the STH-base undergoes some "shrinkage"... 

Was watching the live stream from Day 2 of prospect camp.  Did anybody else notice all the seats with a white tag on them?  If past practice continues, those seats are available during select-a seat sessions.  That's a lot of seats, although I realize that seat selection hasn't started yet.  Still, that's a lot of white showing, more than when I previously attended the event.

yes, the seats with the white tags are the ones available.   I would not expect things to change much this season

I was told by my ticket rep that "Select-a-Seat" is being revamped and will be done on line. So why are there tags on seats??

I just called the ticket reps and was told SAS will be online and take place mid July (a week from now) with an email gong out today with appt times.  Maybe the tags are there for fans coming to Summerfest?

Edited by hockeyteach

Yes, for camp and summerfest.  You get to see what is available live instead of on a computer screen.

My SAS email doesn't say anything about doing it online. Maybe next year? ]

Personally I want to sit in my seats before buying them for an entire year.

My SAS email doesn't say anything about doing it online. Maybe next year? ]

Personally I want to sit in my seats before buying them for an entire year.

If "entire year" means Full STH I think SAS is today and tomorrow (based on link for "Summerfest").  The other STH will select online later this month.

If I've got this wrong, then someone please correct me.

Well the thing is my appointment for select a seat was yesterday. I couldn't make it due to work (yes, I work), and I was in day 2. So I'm thinking today and tomorow is partia season plansl?

But what is this picking on line business?

Edited by remkin

Remkin, I have the 22-game pack and we are given (just got mine today) a time to log in online to choose our seats. I can do the same seat every game (if available) or pick a different seat for every game and everything in between.  If I want a low-down seat for a gold game I'll pay more so may go upper deck for one of the 3 gold games to even out payments.  I could see that full-season do the actual butt-in-the-seat choice; that's a perk for the full STHs.

I have my doubts as to how the server is going to handle all this traffic and how long it will take to choose which seats if our regular ones aren't open.

Partial season ticket holders have had to use the online option for a few years now and surprisingly, it has worked pretty well.  The option to select a different seat for each game is a new wrinkle, so I hope that doesn't add any difficulty.

While it is no substitute for being there in person, I've been happy with the seats I've chosen for the past 3 years.  Of course, knowing that I would be picking them on line, I usually try to check out any seats I might be interested in during the last few games of the season or during one of the open practices, just in case they might be angled on a corner or have bad sight lines.

Partial season ticket holders have had to use the online option for a few years now and surprisingly, it has worked pretty well.  The option to select a different seat for each game is a new wrinkle, so I hope that doesn't add any difficulty.

While it is no substitute for being there in person, I've been happy with the seats I've chosen for the past 3 years.  Of course, knowing that I would be picking them on line, I usually try to check out any seats I might be interested in during the last few games of the season or during one of the open practices, just in case they might be angled on a corner or have bad sight lines.

Right.  The server should be able to take it.  They use tickemaster back end.  Ticketmaster is accustomed to being hit by 100,000 requests at once.  Really, no exaggeration.  S.A.S. is nothing compared to what they get from a Taylor Swift concert announcement.

BTW, I haven't gotten any email yet.  Roughly what days are people getting?

11 game plan people got their emails that give their time and detailed instructions.  Selection times are in the upcoming week, July 28, 29, 30.

Edited by wxray1

OK, I caved in and bought an 11-game package. My select-a-game and select-a-seat time is this afternoon. Has anyone else here already done theirs? Were there any hiccups or did things go smoothly for you? I've selected the games that work best for me and my crazy job schedule (as well as my family's schedule) and put them on a spreadsheet for myself. Hoping I'll still get games/seats that fit within my budget, seat preference, etc.

I just completed it.  I have a pretty low number and a decent time, I thought.

Compared to last year, there are massive numbers of grayed out games (unselectable) for "terrace value."  Huge step backwards for me.  The actual computer selection process was easy and trouble free.  You select your actual games via a "survey".

Not sure if this is a glitch, or perhaps a monkey-wrench in the works since they now have a free-for-all due to the "pick any date" thing.  Before, since they boxed you into "red-white-blue", it kind of limited the seats and kept more free.  I think now that leads to more being "taken" since I suspect they must gray out ANY seat taken even ONE DAY in the season.

Specifically, I'm talking about section 330.  Last year, plenty of seats.  This year, all grayed out.  I know they have "special groups" sit here sometimes (like sports teams, etc.).  I'm wondering if those few dates they selected knocked the whole darn section out.  It was shocking, really, to see it all gray.

Anyway, we'll see.  So far, I'm pretty peeved about it.

Bummer, wxray1, sorry about that. I'm not too excited about the whole process, really. But, that being said, I'm still glad that they offer packages for those of us who live a fair distance away but still want to support the team. Also, I am NOT afraid to utilize the "secondary market" for tickets when warranted. One just has to be savvy about it. I'm sure I'll have some opinions to share after my time online.

Yeah, it's a crock. Not real happy. 'Canes should have gotten rid of Ticketmaster when they had the chance. I think my biggest issue is the lack of "directions" or "guidance". Ended up having to call the ticket sales department for help. Sure hope this investment of time has been worth it. To any naysayers on my just being an 11-game STH, it is money I could surely be spending somewhere else. Right now, almost wish I was. Let's see how the next few months go...