The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caneswincup

It's that time of year...Season Ticket Renewal email

I dropped from a full season to an 11 game so this was our first experience with the on-line select-a-seat.  Our time slot was today and Mrs. Storm actually did the selection as I had a work meeting during our assigned time slot.  She said it was very easy and worked well.  We reviewed the extensive instructions beforehand, I like that they included actual screenshots and overall they were helpful.  I was surprised that the process was to select the seats first, then select the games we wanted.  As wxray1 says, doing it this way would seem to artificially restrict seats available for those that are lower in the pecking order.  For us, Mrs. Storm got good seats, so I was pleased.

I very much like the flexibility of picking our own 11 games (well, 10 games after the mandatory opener) versus having three fixed plans to choose from.  Interesting too how few silver and gold games there were...I figured they would be a relatively even split.  We picked all bronze mostly because the dates worked better for us.  Canes get good marks from me for this added flexibility (of course, I realize this amount of flexibility is only possible for them because there are sooooo many seats available... :unsure:). 

Edited by Red_Storm

I just completed it.  I have a pretty low number and a decent time, I thought.

Compared to last year, there are massive numbers of grayed out games (unselectable) for "terrace value."  Huge step backwards for me.  The actual computer selection process was easy and trouble free.  You select your actual games via a "survey".

Not sure if this is a glitch, or perhaps a monkey-wrench in the works since they now have a free-for-all due to the "pick any date" thing.  Before, since they boxed you into "red-white-blue", it kind of limited the seats and kept more free.  I think now that leads to more being "taken" since I suspect they must gray out ANY seat taken even ONE DAY in the season.

Specifically, I'm talking about section 330.  Last year, plenty of seats.  This year, all grayed out.  I know they have "special groups" sit here sometimes (like sports teams, etc.).  I'm wondering if those few dates they selected knocked the whole darn section out.  It was shocking, really, to see it all gray.

Anyway, we'll see.  So far, I'm pretty peeved about it.

I had my turn this afternoon, too.  My section of choice - 325.  Same grayed out mass quantities of seats, including the top row where I've been for the past 5 years.  Found 3 seats at the other end, and needed 2.  Well, you can't leave one seat open, so that was out.  Looked at 326 top row, again a single block of 3 open.  I suppose that you need to buy one seat or 3 to make it work.

So I settled for my Third choice.

Then worked through the rest of the process.  I guess 23 years of computer programming and technical support wasn't enough to finish without help, so finally had to call before my time ran out.  The rep I spoke with gave me what I needed to complete the process, then mentioned to him that I was bummed that the seats I wanted weren't available.  He asked where, I told him, and lo and behold, he was able to get me within one seat of where I've been, telling me he would handle it in the background.  Apparently all those grayed out seats aren't filled.....

Oh, and back when they first announced this change, I expressed my concerns to my rep and shared an email with Don Waddell.  Don called and he assured me he was confident that the seats I wanted would be available.

So I'm a bit bummed over the plan, but happy that I got what I hope I finally have for seats.

I've calmed down a bit from my most recent post, so I will have to reserve final judgment until the final "seat advancement" takes place. I am glad that more folks are buying this season. This shows that the market is stronger than the pundits would like to believe. You have to give the corporate folks credit: the STH Appreciation Nights are the way to go. I utilized it last season and picked games this season to correspond as well as I could. W/L record doesn't mean as much to me as effort. (Although a playoff appearance would be great!) That's the main reason I'm not a full STH and have dropped to an 11-game plan. I'll have to admit, it has been fun thinking about being at the PNC while sweating it out in Pitt County in July...

Do not know what the situation with my stroke recovery will be by the time the season starts,  PT and OT ends next week,  Sill will be going to WakeMed's gym to work on my core and balance issues.   There was damage way before the stroke with childhood polio and damage from my genetic disorder,  Still do not have clearance to drive. With medical bills probably can afford only a 11 game pack

Pepcane, I do not agree that more people are buying season tickets this year. As someone posted above, since you pick your location first and then pick your games, once any seat is taken for 1 game, it is unavailable to those picking after you. PLUS remember that everyone had to take the Detroit game (home opener). The result for me (10 year season ticket holder, 11 game plan) was to move back 5 rows in Terrace Value. And that is after looking for lower seats in TEN sections within the Terrace Value category. A ticket rep told me I will get a chance later to move tickets on a game by game basis to a better location if I wish. We'll see. A different rep told me last week they were having software issues with allowing ticket holders to choose different seats for different games. Can you imagine the potential for error when all of the flex-plan ticket holders have their season tickets printed for multiple locations-maybe even a different location for every game? I was not a fan of this system for us "small-fry" when it was announced, and am less so now.

I had my turn this afternoon, too.  My section of choice - 325.  Same grayed out mass quantities of seats, including the top row where I've been for the past 5 years.  Found 3 seats at the other end, and needed 2.  Well, you can't leave one seat open, so that was out.  Looked at 326 top row, again a single block of 3 open.  I suppose that you need to buy one seat or 3 to make it work.

So I settled for my Third choice.

Then worked through the rest of the process.  I guess 23 years of computer programming and technical support wasn't enough to finish without help, so finally had to call before my time ran out.  The rep I spoke with gave me what I needed to complete the process, then mentioned to him that I was bummed that the seats I wanted weren't available.  He asked where, I told him, and lo and behold, he was able to get me within one seat of where I've been, telling me he would handle it in the background.  Apparently all those grayed out seats aren't filled.....

Oh, and back when they first announced this change, I expressed my concerns to my rep and shared an email with Don Waddell.  Don called and he assured me he was confident that the seats I wanted would be available.

So I'm a bit bummed over the plan, but happy that I got what I hope I finally have for seats.

So I should have just called, huh?  That's real scalable.  Right.

Nice job, Waddell and company.

It was pretty darn clear to me that this was a crock of bugs.  NO WAY is my usual section "FULL".  It is actually THE LEAST FULL SECTION in the building (upper corner).  As a programmer, I knew immediately what happened, even without being involved in this deployment.  

In any case, we switched sides and took seats we usually avoid (bulkhead in front of us).  We'll see how it works out first game.   I gave my ticket rep 2 hours (literally) of grief last spring and really don't feel like talking to the weasel right now, I'm just steamed.  I may have to talk to Mr. Weasel after that first game though.  We'll see.   I'm an introvert and don't like to talk to these slick sales bozos.  The last thing I wanted to do was call yesterday.

Keep up the disenfranchisement, Mr. Waddell.  Seattle will need that team in a few years.

Just got a mail for an "Opportunity to Relocate Your Seats".

What a fiasco.  So, looks like we get a chance to go through the process all over again in September.  Nice...  I think.

Either this is the process they envisioned, or it is a recovery from the initial fiasco.   Whatever...

Just more work for me and another time to deal with my work schedule to find time to shoe horn this rearranging in.

RALEIGH, NC – Bill Nowicki, Vice President of Ticket Operations for the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that individual-game tickets for all 2015-16 preseason and regular-season Hurricanes games at PNC Arena will go on sale to the public on Thursday, Sept. 10 at noon. The public onsale will follow an exclusive individual-game buying period for Hurricanes season ticket holders that will begin Wednesday, Sept. 9 at 10 a.m. Season ticket holders can take advantage of the exclusive presale through Caniac Account Manager or in-person at the PNC Arena Box Office by showing their Season Ticket Holder ID card.

MORE HERE

And the 11-game "Relocate window" is right before this individual buying period.  At least they give us that.

Did the seat relocation for my 11 game plan.

It is a very painful process, even required me to input credit card info even though nothing was owed.

I wish we could have done this game-by-game right up front the first time.  Oh well.

Got my 11 game package today and I'm a little perplexed.  The package has my parking passes, two lanyards (one for me and one for Mrs. WC), but only one combo ID and badge.  So why two lanyards if there's nothing to hang off of one of them?

Looks like we'll flip a coin to see which of us gets the card and which of us gets the badge.  Fortunately I have old pouches to hold the ID card, which has no perforation.

Dissapointing.

WC, I just got off the phone with the folks in ticketing. I am more than perplexed, I'm actually fairly mad. Please call them and express your displeasure in only getting one badge. Heck, they even printed mine as being a full STH when I can barely do the 11-game plan! Imagine the scenarios of standing in line at the STH entrances on a nice 20 degree January night. Poor foresight, poor planning. It stems from their new deal with Ticketmaster and how the industry is heading. Don't even get me started on the digital ticketing bit.

Only full STH'ers got a badge for each seat. If the organization is so tight that they can't provide a badge for each seat than they have more problems than they think. I'm sorry I can't pluck down $4000 for full season tickets, but they slapped us with dropping a game plus no vouchers (although we did eventually get ONE for each seat) and now they have the audacity to send two lanyards and only one badge! I am as mad as I've ever been with this group. We'll see how it pans out...

I'm being PC by just being perplexed. I fired off an email to my (new) account rep and copied the old rep right after I posted. No answer back yet from either.

This after the assurance that I SHOULD be able to get my old seats and then couldn't.

I'm thinking about a protest. I'll go to my set of games and wear just the lanyard. Then I'll go visit the service booth at the arena to see what kind of reaction I get.

Oh, and yes, my badge shows me as a full STH as well.

I've already spent nearly 2 hours with people from ticketing this summer.  I'm tired of talking with them.   My latest discussion was a few days ago.  I just called to see when we get our tix.

The guy told me they were almost here, and that I'll be excited by the new "Electronic Ticketing" which they were "doing for our benefit".

That got me going.  I called BS and told him it was for THEIR benefit, and don't give me that <stuff>.

Little did I know there was only going to be one card.  I saw it, laughed and just though to myself, "What a cheap organization."  I'm leaving it there.   No more calls in.  I'll just go with the flow and laugh at this cheapness.

I've spent literally 10 minutes selecting seats (same as last year).  No problems.  The single Id card idea - not a big fan.

Whatever section you have must have been open on the first round.

The upper corners (yes, upper corners) were completely blocked out -- which is plain ridiculous.  Hence the "redo".  On redo day, I was able to find seats for my games in Rows C and D, even though these were blocked out on the first selection period.

I sit in LL South.  Really sorry to hear you had all that trouble wxray, but I was just pointing out it wasn't the same in the entire arena, at least it wasn't where our seats are located.

Did you ever get an answer as to why all those seats were blocked to begin with?  I'm interested to know.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I'm being PC by just being perplexed. I fired off an email to my (new) account rep and copied the old rep right after I posted. No answer back yet from either.

This after the assurance that I SHOULD be able to get my old seats and then couldn't.

I'm thinking about a protest. I'll go to my set of games and wear just the lanyard. Then I'll go visit the service booth at the arena to see what kind of reaction I get.

Oh, and yes, my badge shows me as a full STH as well.

Well, I got the call yesterday, and had the conversation (not the happy fan, and I'm sure it showed).

Net result, the ticketing people are going to get me another badge.

I sit in LL South.  Really sorry to hear you had all that trouble wxray, but I was just pointing out it wasn't the same in the entire arena, at least it wasn't where our seats are located.

Did you ever get an answer as to why all those seats were blocked to begin with?  I'm interested to know.

Well, it was simple.  Over the course of season, those seats were taken, maybe for only one or two games.  And also there were the 24 gamers ahead of me.  This is what my rep told me.  He didn't get into more detail.

What I have seen in sitting in those sections is this: there are a lot of groups that use those sections.  It is quite conceivable that groups had already bought their block -- or that the organization allocated those blocks -- for just that one game.  During 11 seat selection, that one game completely blacked out the entire selection, even if it didn't correspond to any game you chose..  BTW, groups I'm talking about are Boy Scouts, Youth Hockey, etc.  I think the organization makes an effort to keep room for the groups to stay together.  Not a bad thing, I understand.

So, when I was presented with the "redo day", I could drill down to my specific games, and in most cases there were plenty of seats available, more for some games than others.  I even swapped sections on those games that only had nosebleeds.

My suggestion to them was to allow us during selection to either do "same seat all 11" or "choose each individually".  He wasn't sure if they could.  I guess tickemaster has the web infrastructure to make this happen.

Edited by wxray1

After my rant on the phone Wednesday regarding only getting one badge, I also got the call yesterday saying another badge would be provided. I plan on getting mine tomorrow. Unfortunately, (in my opinion) the Canes opted to stay with Ticketmaster, and it was by following their suggestion that only one ID card was issued along with the corresponding badge. I make no apologies for not being a full STH, nor for buying seats in the Upper South End. However, the single badge was another slap in the face for those who either choose to not be or cannot be a full STH. I bought two seats for eleven games, plan on using STH appreciation nights for additional purchases, and have already purchased 10 more extra tickets for opening night. Wednesday I was ready to cancel it all. I am glad to see that myself, WC, and hopefully others will be able to receive a badge for each seat. It does show that they listen if you yell loud enough. Trust me, I was yelling. (I did remind the rep that my anger was not vented to him, but to the organization)

The digital ticketing is also another Ticketmaster gimmick. "It's an industry-wide movement", was the response I was given. That's all well and good if you're able to have your whole group in line together. I'm also rather much a traditionalist. I have a corkboard with ticket stubs from ECU sporting events, Harlem Globetrotters events where my daughters performed at halftime, NCSU sporting events, Norfolk Admirals Hockey, Carolina Mudcats, the NASCAR Bristol night race, and countless Canes games dating back to 2002. Maybe now I can save room by pinning up the little receipt I get printed from the handheld scanner at the entrances. There's something to be said about actual, card-stock printed tickets from the team. Last year I was able to give one of my games to my sister and brother-in-law for their 35th anniversary. Yes, I could have emailed the tickets to them. Yes, I could have printed them on my computer and then they'd have two 8.5x11 inch sheets of paper to deal with. Nope. I sent them the actual tickets for the game from the box office in a card extending my congratulations. Many here may see the benefit in digital ticketing. I'm sure I will be able to get used to it but that doesn't mean I will like it. Wednesday the rep with whom I spoke said that if I vehemently demanded paper tickets I could get them. I'm not there yet. Let's see how this opening night works out.

Sorry for the rant.

. Trust me, I was yelling. (I did remind the rep that my anger was not vented to him, but to the organization)

The digital ticketing is also another Ticketmaster gimmick. "It's an industry-wide movement", was the response I was given. 

Ah yes, I heard that quote too.  "Industry-wide movement".  Yep.  Turned my stomach.  Read right off a script.

I just talked loudly, not much yelling.  When we were almost done, I told one of the reps to "Please send my love to Sara."  That got a LOL on the other side.  Hope I made their day!  I'm sure Sara Daniel is "excited" to hear about our love too!

I was a full STH in past years and enjoyed First Class. Now I'm an 11-gamer, and 11-gamers are in steerage class.  Fine.  I get it, you don't go to the BBQ, etc.  OK.    But the lack of a proper number of cards is just plain class-LESS.

The slight on the cards/badges was my biggest beef. I'm satisfied that they are trying, but that they got sold a bill of goods by Ticketmaster and are going to be feeling the repercussions for at least the early part of the season.

I do get to participate in the Early Bird BBQ tomorrow. Little did I know when I re-uppped that I was going to actually be more disappointed in opening my ticket package than excited.

I've got a feeling that ALL season ticket holders will be getting emails and perhaps follow-up phone calls through the first few weeks of the season.

As an 11 gamer who lives 2 hours away and travels to games...thanks Canes orginazation for yet another slap and entry into the "con" column for "should I remain a STH" look guys I get is - IM NOT A FULL SEASON TICKET HOLDER-- but I am a " paid for 2 seats" upfront on complete faith that maybe the product on the ice will earn it this season...loyal fan- I buy other tickets- bring groups- encourage others to attend games- buy canes merchandise in the over priced eye... After all this what I get is..."here is your 1 card with all your games for BOTH SEATS -which you were charged for seperatly...loaded on it and you figure out how to get your 2 tickets and the logistics of 2 separate people into games... "Oh and thanks for your money and payment- see you at the games if you can figure out how to get in"

And really 1 more thing..."you'll send me another card if I call" hey here's a thought... Do the math... 2 individual seats 2 individual cards!!!

Enjoy your PR nightmare yet again- send me my card!

Rant over ...