The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
LakeLivin

2015 NHL Playoff Races

Did anyone notice that after the Senators beat Boston last night they're only 2 points back of the Bruins (with a game in hand) for the last wild card spot?

Sens win, Bruins get the loser point.  Sens 1 point back but with a game in hand (Bruinsahead in the tie breaker at this point).

Kings 2 pts back of Calgary with a game in hand (Flames ahead in the tie breaker).

Edited by LakeLivin

Yeah the Kings need to turn it back up a bit, I want that pick this year. The Sens would be an amazing run if they get in.

And . . . Ottawa slides into the last wild card spot a point ahead of Boston (Sens with a game in hand, no less). 

Edited by LakeLivin

I'm not too confident LA can win themselves into the playoffs with Rangers, Islanders, and Wild upcoming.

I'm really enjoying the Ottawa run to help bounce the Bruins out.

Edited by coastal_caniac

The main race I look at every day is where LA is in the standings. Calgary got a loser point to go 1 up on LA, but LA has a game in hand. Winnipeg is 2 up for the last wildcard and LA has a game in hand. Looks like this is going to go right down to the wire. Currently, the Kings are my favorite team in the league. Go Kings!

In another NHL race, Sabres have a 5 point "lead" over the Coyotes.  But they play tonight and Monday night. Two Arizona losses could suddenly put Buffalo's apparent lock on McEichel in question.   This would be an interesting game to watch.

Strategic win by the Wild over the Flames.

Thank you Wild.

Yay! Good for us.

Ottawa has Toronto and Boston has the Rangers today. This should go well too. Doesn't affect us, but we have to have something to pull for in the absence of interesting Canes hockey in March.

Kings still 2 points out of a tie for the last wild card, but with a game in hand. Looks like it is going to go down to the wire, but the Kings seem to be stumbling in.

LA now chasing Jets for the last wild card spot and LA owns tie breaker, so they control their own fate. 

Which is good, because LA is 3pts back of Calgary (LA has a game in hand) for the 3rd Pacific spot. And Calgary owns the tie breaker, so Kings need to make up 4 points to get the division slot.

Jets have by far the toughest remaining schedule as Kings and Flames each have 2 should be "gimmies" (Oil & Yotes).

Flames and Jets play each other in their last game of the season. That game could easily decide the last playoff spot if Kings take over the 3rd Pacific spot.

Odds of each team maiing the playoffs according to sportsclubstats.com: Flames: 87.8%, Kings: 61.1%, Jets: 48.6%.

s_d is right, this is likely going down to the wire.

Looks like the Jets Dustin Byfuglien is going to get suspended for a cross check to the head of Ranger JT Miller (who was down on the ice). I'd say the Peg's 48.6% playoff chance just got smaller.

Zowie! Today is interesting!

3 way race between Pens, Bruins and Sens.

My hope is to get the Sens in, and then I don't know which I want of the Pens or Bruins.  Probably the Bruins, it pains me to say.  Maybe I'm just childish, but I would love to see JR lead another team to a last day fail.  The guy needs to retire and get out of the league.

Now, that is predicated on 1) Sens getting at least a point, 2) Bruins winning, 3) Pens losing.

Pens are playing Buffalo.  Buffalo?  WAKE UP!  You have the best lottery position.  You won.  Now it is time to play today, OK?

What a great run for the Sens. I would love to see Pittsburgh fall all the way out. But even though the Slugs did lock up that coveted guarantee McEichel slot, there was a a reason. But what a loss that would be. Really unlikely, but what a gut punch to go out on the last game against a "depleted for McEichel" last place team.

It probably won't happen, but that would be a heck of a storyline. Quiet resignation of JR?

JR inherited problems from Shero.  But JR did nothing to help himself by slamming the team right to the cap.  (He never got to do that before, so I guess it must have felt good.)  So, with injuries, they can't call up anyone from the farm team.  JR owns at least half of the mess the Pens got themselves in at the end of the season.

That said, if they do make the playoffs, with the Pens getting healthier, I could be eating my words.  We shall see if this latest JR gamble pays off.

Even if the Pens slither in, they will likely slither out just as fast.

They aren't playing anything looking like playoff hockey right now.

Go Sabres.

Did anyone catch the comments JR make to the media yesterday?  He pretty much said he made a bad trade (Ben Lovejoy) for the long-term but it wasn't his fault because there are 8 others in management that forced his hand and are calling the shots.

The Sens just clinched a spot---so either Boston or the Pens will sit it out

this year. I dislike both so it matters not to me---but it gives me a chuckle.

Thought I'd never say this, but "GO SABRES"!!!!!

Boston still needs to win though to complete the Pens failing to make the playoffs.

didn't happen, but I'll take it.  Pens usually choke early in the playoffs anyways.