The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  

Pens are staying in Pittsburgh

Thank God... The Pens got a great fan base up there, and the team's name just wouldn't be the same without Pittsburgh in it (Say it with me: Kansas City Penguins. Just doesn't sound right, does it?)

Their fanbase is mostly made up of college kids who buy tickets for 10 dollars.

I find that hard to believe , that so many college kids would be interested in the pens, cheap or not. Give their fans a little more credit. I dunno maybe I'm wrong but need to see stats or something

I don't like to see any team move, unless it's the Hartford Whalers or the Milwaukee Braves.

typical

Just stating how he feels, whether someone likes it or not. Doesn't mean that anyone has to be insulting about it w/ a comment like that. I'm happy as hell that we got the Whale. :wink:

Thank God... The Pens got a great fan base up there, and the team's name just wouldn't be the same without Pittsburgh in it (Say it with me: Kansas City Penguins. Just doesn't sound right, does it?)

Their fanbase is mostly made up of college kids who buy tickets for 10 dollars.

I find that hard to believe , that so many college kids would be interested in the pens, cheap or not. Give their fans a little more credit. I dunno maybe I'm wrong but need to see stats or something

Take a look at Pittsburgh Penguin history since the birth of the franchise. That city has always been fickle about their hockey team. They're worse then LA for pete sake. If there isn't an Allstar of Celebrity status playing on their team's roster, the "fan-base" in general could care less.

The NHL doesn't want Pitts to move, simply because it looks bad on the NHL after they claimed their new CBA to be flawless.

I don't like to see any team move, unless it's the Hartford Whalers or the Milwaukee Braves.

typical

Just stating how he feels, whether someone likes it or not. Doesn't mean that anyone has to be insulting about it w/ a comment like that. I'm happy as hell that we got the Whale. :wink:

yeah, yeah...I know. just like I would be happy if we got the pens ( but I wouldn't let a pens fan know that...course he would already know that....am I babbling here...lol)

All the Pens fans that I know are college kids!

But maybe that's because I'm a college kid...haha.

I wish I could have gotten in on that discount for my Pittsburgh trip but they only release those tickets right before the game or something. I decided to be safe and spent a whole $35 on my ticket. lol

As of yet, there's no deal between the team and the state... they're subject to a huge bidding war right now between Kasnas and Oklahoma City...

Just got an insane offer from Kansas:

New Building

No Rent for the first 4 years

All Concessions

Why do they want a team so bad? They won't be able to support it, they should know that!

they said that about us too, now look at us!! if the penguins move then that city has an instant contender for the next few years, the big question is whether or not the corporate community there will get behind the team. right now the worst that can happen for the team is staying in pittsburg but this forces the state, city, and county to pony up or lose.

after reading about what nasheville does for their team then mario should get the same deal.

We'll see what nashville does in terms of attendance. It did look packed when i watched the highlights of the big detroit-nashville game yesterday, but it was a weekend and a huge game. I checked the numbers at nhl.com, it was 17k...meh. I hope they sell out for the playoffs.

I say they are leaving.......

I would have to agree with you. as a businessman i think the kansas deal is too sweet to pass up and most of the folks in government in PA just don't seem to care. the probably figure they have two teams and can afford to lose one. very narrow minded but most politicians are.

sad part is.....if Bettman didn't get anal with Balsillie, the Penguins crisis would have been resolved and there would be no issue. But Bettman couldn't stomach the possibility of the Penguins moving North.

sad part is.....if Bettman didn't get anal with Balsillie, the Penguins crisis would have been resolved and there would be no issue. But Bettman couldn't stomach the possibility of the Penguins moving North.

agreed, he has done more to mess things up than to fix them.

The thing is....

Oklahoma City or Kansas City won't generate any more national tv ratings then any prospective city in the north. I just don't get. Bettman needs to realise that hockey is a regional sport.

This could be the most important cup ever, a number of teams' futures are riding on a run with the nhl in the shape it's in, but I hope for a pens-preds final for their fans' sakes.

atl and san jose could use a cup run too. anaheim's already had one but needs another, especially with their team this year.

The thing is....

Oklahoma City or Kansas City won't generate any more national tv ratings then any prospective city in the north. I just don't get. Bettman needs to realise that hockey is a regional sport.

it could be national or even international if properly marketed!! there in lies the problem, NHL/Bettman are living in a "if you build it they will come" mentality. if more than half of your calendar year does not include snow then you aren't going to be "naturally" interested in hockey. that being said with ESPN showing Poker tournaments, if you market it right people will turn on their tv's to watch paint dry!!

If they put in the resources to truly promote the sport we could have teams in mexico and africa!! and before anyone says it, there is an indoor ski resort in Saudia Arabia!! Stranger things have happened.

right on with the poker, oh so dramatic. Why not have a world series of coin flipping?

I loved snow and ice as a kid (still do), and coincidentally hockey.

I disagree, marketing can only go so far. The NHL is regional, because it is only certain regions that produce NHL players. The problem in the NHL isn't getting people to watch hockey, it's getting people to watch other hockey that doesn't involve their team. I've said this before in here. Atlanta fans will watch Trasher games, but they won't watch Washington VS Carolina game. Part of that reason is because there's little communal attachment in non-traditional markets.

If Sundin was from Greensboro, or Kovalchuk was from Miami. Panther fans would be interested in Thrasher games and Carolina fans would be interested in Toronto games.

Poker is a hard example, because it's not really a huge cultural thing and card decks are found everywhere. People all over withh watch poker tournies, because people hold friendly poker games in their basements around the continent.

yeah but poker can be so boring and if you would have told me ten years ago that ESPN would drop hockey for poker i would have called you dillusional. Marketing is not a cure all but if you don't market you business then no one knows you are there or why they should care.

That's because it's almost all luck. I love how they talk about poker "pros" like they are gods. I actually used to get sucked into this.

I think poker has a lot more to do with studying other players.

Those internet amateurs do well, only because no one knows who they are. They've never been studied. After a year or two, the pros learn they're habits and they disappear. Isn't that what happened to Moneymaker?

I don't follow poker enough. But I do beleive there is a talent there.