The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2015 Off-Season talk

The season came to an end. Depending on your perspective it ended too soon or lasted way too long.

I'm sure there will be plenty of news, speculation and information coming out over the off-season. This is as good a place as any to discuss off-season stuff.

Reading Spector's Hockey Sunday Rumor Roundup this morning Lyle Richardson has some interesting comments surrounding speculation on Staal, Semin et all

it will be interesting to see what Francis does this summer after he stood pat last year. He has no choice but to commence a significant rebuild. It was clear by his moves leading up to the trade deadline that’s what he has in mind.

He mentioned Francis saying he won't buy Semin out.

As for Semin, Francis claimed he won’t be bought out, but that could be the only way to get rid of him unless he “retires” and heads to the KHL.

I think I'll pull up a chair and watch with what I hope is great interest rather than amusement.

:popcorn:

Reading the tea leafs one could come to the conclusion that a major shake up is coming this offseason. No one who knows is saying, but:

1. Cam Ward gives an strange, interview, creating a sense of "nice knowing you" to some observers. The tea leaves have always suggested Cam will not fight most trades, as in he thought he was gone last post season. Now after this year where he came back into form, losing Ward seems less than ideal, but if Ward and Francis have talked and Ward kind of "wants" to move on, or test UFA after this season, Ward's stock is much higher than it was last year at this time, when teams wanted a pick from us to take him off our hands. We don't know what kind of offers Francis has had for Ward either.

2. E. Staal. Yes, he played better at the end of the season. But his "I'm not going to stop a trade (so long as you don't ship me to Siberia--paraphrased)" comment makes me think: A. He knows the writing is on the wall. B. He might actually feel the need for a change. C. I have long suspected he and Francis had a deal. He gets this year to show one last time. If not he allows the trade. Well we finished 12 points worse than last year. And we picked #7 last year.

It will hurt the team in the short run. He does more than we give him credit for, and at least he puts up some points. But, I'm thinking like Top, that change just isn't change w/ Eric here as the captain and the face. At the end of Kirk Muller's tenure, Adam Gold kept asking how Kirk and Eric could both be back and expect change. Well guess which one came back? And what changed?

3. Semin. Oddly, Semin might get another chance. My guess is that the house cleaning is complete though. Another chance because he can't be traded, so there are only two downsides to keeping him: money, and team effect.

Keeping him? Maybe he sees the light. Maybe w/ a new Captain? And if not, and he starts bad we can waive him and buy him out next year. If he comes back to form you have up to a ppg player.

Dumping him? Francis and Peters have to be a unit, on the same page as it were, and there is no way that Peters wants to deal with that again. Semin does not fit the system and the lethargic play drags on the team.  Of course PK will weigh into this one.

4. Skinner. In a way he is the toughest one to figure out. I think Skinner is the prime example of the buy low sell high delemma. If he were breaking 30 goals and creating excitement nightly, he would bring a haul in return. But then who would want to trade him? If he is concussion prone and not producing and a defensive liability, what return will he bring?

I think Peters and Francis would like to trade him and get a first round pick and a good player (probably defenseman) in return. But is the demand there? Clasically Skinner works hard in the offseason and comes in firing. If he can avoid concussion but still go to the net he can put up 30. He is 22. I think there will be feelers and it will just come down to whether any GM has a strong enough hankering. Giving him away would be a mistake.

It is possible that E, Ward, Semin and Skinner could all be gone by opening night.

For now, just win the lottery because Conner McDavid would make it all ok.

Edited by remkin

I will add that not buying Semin out does not preclude a trade for another bad salary or even letting him show his game and an early scratch, scratch, bad, waive next year. Also, may be trying to signal to Semin: "don't expect a buy out".

I will also add that in the Aftermath, Forslund really seemed to be hinting that change was coming. The gist was that Francis, probably wisely, has chosen to move slowly and generally let this season play out, but he implied that he was sure that Francis and Peters have a very clear idea of what they want to do, and that this offseason won't be as quiet as last year. (Both Ward and E have sounded like guys who expect a future phone call w/ a trade offer-- remkin here not John). I can't help but think Forslund knows more than he can say.

The basic idea is that Francis needs to make his mark and get to rebuilding. Another "evalutation" season makes no sense*. Moving forward with all of the S's in place: Staal, Staal, Semin, and Skinner just seems nuts really. We are rolling that out while having lost a key S: Sekera. At this point we have the same team as always, minus our other top pairing Dman. How can that be the plan? Even replacing Sekera, just leaves us with the same team.

Something has to give. Semin seems the most obvious, but he is more "addition by subtraction".  We are just made slightly less worse by his absence. Plus, Francis keeps saying he isn't buying him out.

More and more, trading E in the offseason makes sense. Having him as Captain if there is no plan to re-sign him during a rebuild? He is the one constant in all the post cup years. He is the poster boy for overpaid and coddled. He, along with Skinner are poster boys for all offense and bad plus minus. One more year is pointless. It only makes sense to keep Eric if he is in the long term plans. But will he take a pay cut and lose the NTC to stay? Does Francis want him?

I actually, on balance, still like Eric Staal, but isn't it time for us both to move on? Change of scenery for him, new direction for us? Typically if a guy is the long long term face of the franchise it is due to long term success.

If E can return a first round pick and a solid defenseman? Pull!!! We pick forwards w/ our first round picks. Sign a dman UFA, and one top 6 forward. And the pieces are there.

Forslund said sometimes the basis for trades are worked out months even a year ahead of time and just need the pieces to fit or the owner to come around....almost like he might be talking about an actual deal in the works.

I keep thinking about E to Toronto. I can't imagine they'd give up the #4 pick...would they?.....I don't know, but if I had to bet...Eric gets moved this offseason. (Of course I've lost a lot of bets).

*Forslund also specifically said Francis has had enough of a sample size. Read: he's seen enough.

Edited by remkin

Yeah, I've never fully bought the idea that Francis is committed to Eric. I got the sense, when he (RF) made a point of saying how E was consulted several times about BP's hiring, that he was also served notice: He is now playing with house money. That's not hard to imagine when one considers how great Ronnie was all those years for a struggling Whale/Canes team. On some level, mustn't he be telling himself that Eric has the talent and ability to rise above his circumstances in the exact same way he did, but has not - despite earning, what, maybe twice RF's salary in his playing days?

Nothing forces a manager to manage quite like looking really hard at the bottom line, and given PK's insistence on working within a budget that is even less than what GMs in other markets have to work with, RF must be asking himself exactly what this team got in exchange for Eric's $9.5 million this season. We've got $26 million tied up in four skaters, three-fifths of that money going to two (E and Semin) who are over 30 and have produced squat for two straight years. The other two at least (1) are arguably approaching or already in their peak years, (2) had decent numbers a season ago, and (3) suffered serious injuries during the season just ended. Should they have performed far, far better? Absolutely. But 16 other guys stepped up all season long to earn their keep and in so doing helped us be competitive even when J and Jeff were out. Where was that same effort from Sasha and Eric?

Speaking purely for myself, if we don't cut at minimum the two underperforming, overpaid elders, we are not making any changes that can be called serious - at least not with a straight face.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Semin has to go. He contributes nothing positive, and I see no other way than a buyout. From the outside looking in, I'd say EStaal needs a change of scenery to a team that has a leadership structure in place. In the last year of his deal, RF may be able to make a good trade an retain some of E's contract to make it work and get a legit return. Buying out Enigma and eating E money may be a bitter pill to swallow, but it is medicine that must be taken. If a move with Skinner could bring back a young dman, then move him. Ward may have some value after a bounce back year.

You can't make real change without some of the above. Can E and J be separated?

Estaal to toronto early in year,  but they finished behind us, sure he wants to go to a winner up north. How did he get along with  Mo??? Maybe to pegs, and yes, a  number one, and top 4  dman, but has he declined where you cant get that much.. Semin, i dont want to deal with his drama anymore, whatever it takes.. skinner... hmmmm  .. not sure... i hope Cam stays, but understand if he goes, probaly to a Calgary... jmo.. I  think, Terry, Rask,   and of course Faulk  made the Biggest strides.. Well sorry for you that were there, but should be a exciting offseason, and i take it, playoff  challange??? :lol:

This will be an interesting off-season as to who stays and who goes. This team is not just one or two players away from actually competing for a playoff spot. The Eichel/McDavid lottery drawing will play a big part of that decision. Guaranteed a TOP 5 pick, we should get some type of franchise player this year.

1) Will the Staals get separated?

Eric had an OK season, but for the Captain of this franchise, he has to be better than OK. I am a big advocate of Jordan. I think his physical style of play really fits what Peters wants. Missing half the season from the freak injury really put him behind the 8-ball. Not only did he lose all those games, but he loss all the hard work from training camp and off-season last year. If Eric goes to Toronto, is there a player(s) we'd want in return? Does this team take a risk on say Kessel? Though Kessel's contract is for 8yr/64mil until 2022, when he is on he is a terror on the ice. Big physical forward. Straight up trade Eric for Kessel?  When Jordan plays out of shadows of other superstars, his game comes to the forefront. Jordan takes over as Captain of the Hurricanes.

2) The Enigma know as Semin

He has the reputation that he could be a TOP 5 player in the league. IF his wrist injury was the crux to his season, he should have taken the season off until it healed completely. His play was more detrimental on the ice than off. 1.16mil for each goal he scored this season! If he was completely healthy, then he was just a bad fit for what Peters is doing for this team. If the Canes are not going to do the buy-out on Semin, then he has the first quarter of next season to prove himself before he gets waived.

3) Wardo!

I did not like the feel of Cam's last post game interview. It sounded like a farewell interview.  IF Cam is gone, then a full-fledge rebuild is in the immediate future. While I like Khudobin, I am not completely sold as him being a #1. I would gladly eat my words if he proves me wrong. The upside is Cam has 1yr left. Also Dobby has 1yr left as well. This uncertainty is bigger than anything named Staal, Semin or Skinner. It doesn't matter how many goals we score if we can't keep them out of the back of our net.  What he have in the system is a couple year's away from being NHL ready, and I really don't think Dobby would go for someone else coming in and taking the #1 job next season.

I'll stop here to give myself a chance to think through the rest of the team.   

I'm not sure. I'd rather trade Eric for young guys or picks. I've got kind of an aversion to huge contracts like what we're guaranteed to get dumped on us by Toronto. Also wonder if JR would be willing to make a deal on Jordan.

For now, just win the lottery because Conner McDavid would make it all ok.

Yeah.  If we can't drive fan interest with playoffs, Connor would be almost as good.

I will also add that in the Aftermath, Forslund really seemed to be hinting that change was coming. The gist was that Francis, probably wisely, has chosen to move slowly and generally let this season play out, but he implied that he was sure that Francis and Peters have a very clear idea of what they want to do, and that this offseason won't be as quiet as last year. (Both Ward and E have sounded like guys who expect a future phone call w/ a trade offer-- remkin here not John). I can't help but think Forslund knows more than he can say.

The best part of the Peter's interview Saturday after the game was Peters discussing how RF was up in Manitoba looking at players, and was going to fly down to Charlotte on Sunday to join Peters at the Checkers game.  Then they were going to have a quality 2 1/2 hours on the drive home discussing things.

These guys have just begun their hard work.

BTW, Remkin, you said "RF keeps saying no Semin buyout".  I can't read all the stuff you guys are reading.  Did RF really repeat that phrase?  You know, times change.  I know RF said it early in the year.  Did he repeat it recently?

BTW, Remkin, you said "RF keeps saying no Semin buyout".  I can't read all the stuff you guys are reading.  Did RF really repeat that phrase?  You know, times change.  I know RF said it early in the year.  Did he repeat it recently?

On that one I'm repeating others on here who have quoted the source for that.

On that one I'm repeating others on here who have quoted the source for that.

OK, did my homework, read Spector's article.  Spector has no new news, it appears.  Just a repeat of what RF had said earlier.

Mind's change.

Remember Peters said: "Semin will always be in the shootout" early in the season.  Well, he changed his mind.

After Semin's clear lack of improvement -- and maybe regression -- RF may think better of it after this whole season.

We'll see.

Good point wxray1. All thing do change and what was said months ago may not be valid today. As situations change a GM must adapt. When it comes to Semin IMO there is no easy or best solution.

Does anybody expect RF to say that they plan on a buyout on any player during the season?  The window for the buyout isn't until the summer.  No reason for RF to discuss or address it prior to then.  Doing so would back him into a corner with any pending deals.  I know a trade seems impossible, but JR once traded Fat Kaberle.  Miracles do happen (but I don't expect one this time).

Does anybody expect RF to say that they plan on a buyout on any player during the season?  The window for the buyout isn't until the summer.  No reason for RF to discuss or address it prior to then.  Doing so would back him into a corner with any pending deals.  I know a trade seems impossible, but JR once traded Fat Kaberle.  Miracles do happen (but I don't expect one this time).

But he did discuss it. He said he wasn't buying Semin out. Of course that was then and this is now. A buyout is an option RF will have to consider. I don't expect a miracle either but there is no good solution only a lesser bad decision.

But he did discuss it. He said he wasn't buying Semin out. Of course that was then and this is now. A buyout is an option RF will have to consider. I don't expect a miracle either but there is no good solution only a lesser bad decision.

Semantics here.  Was he asked about a Semin buyout?  If he was, he told a lie he was supposed to tell, and we shouldn't be surprised.  A GM can't play show his cards and bluff at the same time.

That RF comment was back in January in a Chip Alexander article.  What else could he say?  He was trying to get the Enigma pointed in the right direction.  Publicly giving up on him in the middle of the season is not going to do that.  I'm sure he felt the pressure to try and make it work. Some of you guys take things too literally sometimes.   How many times have you heard the owner or GM of a pro sports team give the coach a public vote of confidence, only to fire him within days?

Edited by super_dave_1

Semantics here.  Was he asked about a Semin buyout?  If he was, he told a lie he was supposed to tell, and we shouldn't be surprised.  A GM can't play show his cards and bluff at the same time.

Maybe semantics. I doubt he lied. There are so many other ways to avoid answering the question. But times change and I agree I doubt Francis will tip his hand now. I think we are on the same page when it comes to a Semin buyout, it has to be considered.

2014-15 Pick The Stanley Cup Winner Contest can be found HERE

I sent my picks in...did you?

A tip of the hat to Coastal_ Caniac for running the contest again this year.

2014-15 Pick The Stanley Cup Winner Contest can be found HERE

I sent my picks in...did you?

A tip of the hat to Coastal_ Caniac for running the contest again this year.

Did my picks as well.

Some Tweets coming out of this morning's player interviews

Chip Alexander @ice_chip  ·  37m 37 minutes ago

Semin says he will not play in World Championship for Russia. Khudobin says he will. Semin says will spend much of summer in Raleigh

Asked about scoring 6 goals this season, Semin said: "I had surgery last summer and maybe that's a problem." Said felt better at end.

Mike Maniscalco @mikemaniscalco  ·  2h 2 hours ago

#Canes summing up the season @pattydwyer39 said how the special teams finished up was a big building block.

Cam Ward frustrated that season is over now, but feels this season had more structure to build off

Wow, The Enigma continues to be enigmatic in that interview.

Interesting that he specifically says he'll be back to Raleigh July 2.  Very interesting.

Dobby is a good interview.  Despite the optimism mentioned above by Dwyer, Dobby basically said, "Yeah, but most of the game is 5 on 5 and we need to be better there."  No nonsense, straightforward.

Cam "wants to be back" but also said "it is in management's hands."

Edited by wxray1