The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2015 Off-Season talk

The latest mock draft from the DC database puts Marner at #3, and a linked article teases he could go #2 (no way).

Here is that article:

http://thehockeywriters.com/magical-mitch-marner-mcdavid-malkin/

It is also interesting that this mock draft pushes Mathew Barzal up ahead of us to #4.

http://thehockeywriters.com/mathew-barzal-nhl-draft-war-room-profile/

You are making it hard to stay with the toughness argument.  

We loved The Wizard but The Magician would be even better?

You are making it hard to stay with the toughness argument.  

We loved The Wizard but The Magician would be even better?

I still like Marner, but they call Barzal:

The Cerebral Catalyst is a visionary playmaking centreman.

Also say he has grit.

EDIT: That same mock draft has Hanifin going #7.

Edited by remkin

TSN Canada is having a March Madness tournament-style Play of the Year poll.  On May 1st (fri) it's a Cam Ward save against a Cary Price one.  On May 4th (mon) it's Semin's goal while on his back against a goal by Jordan Eberle.

http://poy.tsn.ca/5-nhl2015/bracket#3

http://poy.tsn.ca/5-nhl2015/bracket#4

if you're interested, drop in on those days and vote.  Last year, in an NHL.com vote for save of the year, Ward didn't even make the field in spite of having one of the best saves I've ever seen (batting the puck out of mid air with his stick while diving across the crease).  I guess that's the price for not playing in a major media market. :(

Edited by LakeLivin

And if we got a smallish scorer who developed an aversion to scoring...

C'mon guys, you're torturing me.  We already have a Russian with an aversion to Hockey.  I can't take any more of this...;)

I want Hanifin if he is there at 5, sounds like he will be.... Like it was said, start from  inside out..

Jeff Daniels will not be renewed in Charlotte. This seems to me to be a step in the right direction. I'm not sure he was developing players in the AHL at a reasonable rate and it will be good to see the organization focus more on this hopefully leading to the type of depth we need to overcome injuries to key personnel throughout the season. Good for Ron Francis. He said he was going to overhaul the entire organization and I'm happy to see him make this move. Not that Jeff Daniels isn't a great guy but it is time for a change down there.

The shelf life argument I agree with.  That's actually why you need more of these guys, not less.  We had Ruutu, Cole, and they broke down multiple times, it goes with the style.  You need to get more of them so you can reload as they break down.

FWIW, I would probably take Kane too, but it's close.

Lucic played half *edit*, most of time, i watched alot of    Bruins  games..... I wouldnt want  him... jmo sorry, im replying to wrong discussion..

In the off season, i would like to see the canes pick up a energy player like a Tom Wilson of the Caps. or Ferland with Calgary.  I been watching  these 2 guys and they will hit anybody.  They can score some goals also and don't mind dropping the gloves.

Edited by playruffcaniac

Pointing out every smallish, successful forward in the league does not change the fact that the Canes are small and soft.  I have never said that Marner shouldn't be picked because of his size.  What I have said is that RF has to address the size/toughness issue as a whole.  I've watched a lot of these playoffs too.  There is a lot of physical play.  Who on the current Canes roster brings that?

As Smiling Bob said, size matters.  Peters knows it.  When talking about JStaal at the year end presser, he said "He's 6'4" every shift".  With all other things being equal, a bigger player is going to have an advantage.  If that wasn't the case, professional sports leagues would be full of 5 foot something guys. 

Short People got no reason

To live

They got little hands

Little eyes

They walk around

Tellin' great big lies

They got little noses

And tiny little teeth

They wear platform shoes

On their nasty little feet

Well, I don't want no Short People

Don't want no Short People

`Round here

Short People are just the same

As you and I

(A Fool Such As I)

All men are brothers

Until the day they die

(It's A Wonderful World)

Short People got nobody

Short People got nobody

Short People got nobody

To love

They got little baby legs

That stand so low

You got to pick 'em up

Just to say hello

They got little cars

That go beep, beep, beep

They got little voices

Goin' peep, peep, peep

They got grubby little fingers

And dirty little minds

They're gonna get you every time

Well, I don't want no Short People

'Round here

lollllllllllllllll  love it, short people by Randy  Newman    maybe i spelled wrong, but alas, have to play 200 ft, not 190, not 195, not 199..

lollllllllllllllll  love it, short people by Randy  Newman    maybe i spelled wrong, but alas, have to play 200 ft, not 190, not 195, not 199..

Pointing out every smallish, successful forward in the league does not change the fact that the Canes are small and soft.  I have never said that Marner shouldn't be picked because of his size.  What I have said is that RF has to address the size/toughness issue as a whole.  I've watched a lot of these playoffs too.  There is a lot of physical play.  Who on the current Canes roster brings that?

I know of no one that brings that physical play for the canes.  In my post previous to this post the canes need to pick up a energy player that brings that physical play and takes up for his team mates. The series between the flames & canucks was one of the most physical series i have seen in a long time.

Our former coach, the one who brought the Stanley Cup to Raleigh, is a finalist for the Jack Adams award.

Glad that guy is gone.  He was horrible.

:sarcasmalert:

I think Laviolette is the classic coach who is good for a short time and then players quickly tire of him.  That has definitely been the pattern for all the teams he has coached.

What bothered my most about his time here was how quickly he (and his system) took all the credit when we were good and then how it was never his fault when we played poorly.  That to me was poor leadership/coaching.  I would have to think that given the high quality and high character guys we had on the team back then, that the deflecting of blame probably didn't go over to well with them.

Edited by ncradford

Our former coach, the one who brought the Stanley Cup to Raleigh, is a finalist for the Jack Adams award.

The inside Info I always got on Lavi was that after the cup his head was huge.  He would not do anything asked of him from the management and it caused constant conflict and yelling matches. basically he and JR hated eachother by the time it was all over.  Players didn't like him anymore either.  He's a great coach and maybe he learned from his experience here to be a better man to work with, if not than he will continue to be traded around even with his amount of success. Also there is a chance that I don't know what the heck I'm talking about.  I knew a dude who golfed with the management and thats what he told me years ago.

I think it's a pretty established fact that JR had special rules for "star" players.  Seems like Francis has stated that benching a highly paid player would not happen under JR.  It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out that the perceived entitled player mentality may have stemmed from that kind of treatment.  Add that in to the apparent forcing of returning injured players into the lineup at the end of Lavi's last season, and I can see how it could cause conflict.  It hand cuffs a coach in doing his job.  Lavi didn't do the exit meeting that year and was gone quickly the next year.  I'm not taking his side, but there may be two sides to this story.

I think it's a pretty established fact that JR had special rules for "star" players.  Seems like Francis has stated that benching a highly paid player would not happen under JR.  It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out that the perceived entitled player mentality may have stemmed from that kind of treatment.  Add that in to the apparent forcing of returning injured players into the lineup at the end of Lavi's last season, and I can see how it could cause conflict.  It hand cuffs a coach in doing his job.  Lavi didn't do the exit meeting that year and was gone quickly the next year.  I'm not taking his side, but there may be two sides to this story.

SD, I think you are dead on about the previous coddling of star players being a real thing. At the Brind'Amour lunch I was fortunate to attend, Rod flat out said that the Semin benching would never have happened in the past. While it will never be completely even or fair, there is clearly an major effort to create a truer level of accoutablity in this new administration. That can't be bad.

It was Brindy instead of Francis, but I knew I heard it somewhere.  I can see that kind of control from up top making it difficult to coach.

Not to digress from the spirited discussion ongoing over the upcoming draft, but does anyone experience a pang of amusement in viewing the announcement of the annual Prestonwood Golf Tournament being announced today. I mean, by now, our group should be considered at least semi-pro at golf with all the practice they've had for the last 6 years???

Also, how are our guys performing in the world championship?

Edited by KJUNKANE

Lindholm has two goals and three assists in six games plus a shootout winner.

Rask has three goals and one assist in six games.

Lindholm and Rask have almost assisted on all of each others goals.

I believe they are Sweden's third-line.

Faulk isn't producing points but he is playing big minutes and is a + player. Faulk started out great but lately he has shown flashes of those blatant giveaways that lead to grade-A chances. Hopefully those creep back out of his game. He makes great plays, then he leaves you scratching your head, sort of like his season with the Canes.

Still, overall I would say that those guys are having a good tournament.

Don't know if Khudobin played yet.

M. Jordan seems to get pretty decent ice-time but without seeing the games, who knows.

Edited by Kyrule

Thanks, Kyrule. Didn't have time to look it up myself.

On another note, seeing where Capitals have called up another defenseman, supposedly because Gleason's speed may be detrimental? We know that all too well, but I love the guy anyway. Guess he'll have to work on that aspect again this off season? Think he'll rejoin our group?