The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2015 Off-Season talk

No comments on Flyers HC hire, Hakstol, yet? Understand that he was a Defensive Defenseman for them. Wonder what that'll mean for their team?

Sounds like GMRF is out there shaking the bushes.

Hurricanes, Flames, Blackhawks in running for Czech defenseman Jakub Nakladal

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/hurricanes-flames-blackhawks-in-running-for-czech-defenseman-jakub-nakladal/

"A 6-foot-1, 198-pound defenseman, Nakladal isn’t a towering and physically imposing force, but rather a steady, stay-at-home blueliner that has been a mainstay on the Czech Republic’s international roster.  Never drafted to the NHL, Nakladal has slowly developed into an NHL-calibre blueliner. In 2009-10, he was named the Czech Extraliga’s best defenseman as he helped HC Pardubice go on to the league title and shortly thereafter made the jump to the KHL to play with Salavat Yulaev Ufa."

Edited by LakeLivin

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/hurricanes-flames-blackhawks-in-running-for-czech-defenseman-jakub-nakladal/

"A 6-foot-1, 198-pound defenseman, Nakladal isn’t a towering and physically imposing force, but rather a steady, stay-at-home blueliner that has been a mainstay on the Czech Republic’s international roster. Never drafted to the NHL, Nakladal has slowly developed into an NHL-calibre blueliner. In 2009-10, he was named the Czech Extraliga’s best defenseman as he helped HC Pardubice go on to the league title and shortly thereafter made the jump to the KHL to play with Salavat Yulaev Ufa."

His career stats are not very impressive, hopefully he just played on some bad teams.

M. Jordan was a top-pairing defenseman at the Worlds, is younger, and was +2. I consider him a fringe NHLer at this stage.

Nakladal was a second pairing defenseman on the same team and was a -3 at the Worlds.

Looking at his career stats, I'm not sure how he is an improvement on what we have (which isn't much), but they must see something.

Edited by Kyrule

Just out of curiosity, and this question likely will be viewed as "dumb", but during this agonizing period of inactivity, waiting for The Cup to be sorted out, and while we are at it, up until preseason arrives, what types of activity can occur? In other words, what transactions could we possibly witness? I know that contract settlements for those in line can take place, such as new contracts or extensions, but is trading prohibited, and if so, when will it reopen.

Also, keep reading about undrafted college kids and then above, foreign unsigned players, but what else could shake out?

I'm sure that most thoughts are given to the late June draft, as have been mine, but was just unsure if other less flamboyant things, aside from coaching changes, are permitted.

And still no word on the Checkers gig I take it, not even some rumor?

"A 6-foot-1, 198-pound defenseman, Nakladal isn’t a towering and physically imposing force, but rather a steady, stay-at-home blueliner that has been a mainstay on the Czech Republic’s international roster.  Never drafted to the NHL, Nakladal has slowly developed into an NHL-calibre blueliner. In 2009-10, he was named the Czech Extraliga’s best defenseman as he helped HC Pardubice go on to the league title and shortly thereafter made the jump to the KHL to play with Salavat Yulaev Ufa."

His career stats are not very impressive, hopefully he just played on some bad teams.

M. Jordan was a top-pairing defenseman at the Worlds, is younger, and was +2. I consider him a fringe NHLer at this stage.

Nakladal was a second pairing defenseman on the same team and was a -3 at the Worlds.

Looking at his career stats, I'm not sure how he is an improvement on what we have (which isn't much), but they must see something.

I know nothing about the guy but it's all moot to us at this point.  He just signed with the Flames.

Agree, grasping at straws is certainly not what I want this team to turn into. Hopefully our newly upgraded scouting staff steered GMRF away from this "wing and a prayer" type player?

Lake, thought I could count on you to answer my questions above?

Kjun As far as I can tell there is no restrictions on making player trades at anytime. The only restriction is that a player traded after the trade deadline can't play in the playoffs. It appears GMs are reluctant to make trades until the SC is over and all teams and their players are in play. The draft is of course a time when all teams brain trusts are together and deals happen.

For me there is a lot to look forward to this off-season. The draft, the Staal contract negotiation, the goalie decision, trades,the chex new coach, the chex new roster. Unfortunate for me is the  summer always seems to be long periods of inactivity with short periods of real hockey news.

On Nakladal:

Here's what The Hockey News has in their scouting report:

Assets:

Owns good size for the National Hockey League game. Has a defensive conscience and usually keeps things simple in his own zone. Kills penalties with aplomb and also has a booming point shot.

Flaws:

Doesn't use his big shot enough and lacks offensive flair in general. Needs to adjust his game to North American-sized rinks. Could stand to add more bulk to his frame to maximize his NHL prospects.

Career Potential:

Big, solid defender.

Pretty sure he was selected as the best defensman in Finland's top league Liiga this past season (for whatever that's worth).

BD- do you have some knowledge about Nakladal's performance in the KHL? Because if you based your statement solely on his scoring stats, that's clearly not his game. 

I'm think it's safe to assume that all 3 of GMRF, the Flames GM, and the Blackhawks GM aren't idiots in going after a d-man who isn't likely to help them. I'm guessing that they view Nakladal's prospects as similar to TheHockeyNews report: "Big, solid defender".  Lord knows we could use some solid defense at this point. I mean, who in the current Canes roster do you trust defensively? (reminder: in the USA's 4-0 loss to Russia, J. Fauk was -3 and fell down at the blue line leading to an Ovie goal). 

I guess what I'm getting at is this: our defensive needs are bigger than simply signing just a "beast", which seems pretty unlikely at this point, anyways.  We paid Hainsey $3m and Gleason $1.2m last year; zero offense from either and I wouldn't label either as "shutdown". If Nakladal really does project as solid defensively (and presumably at a reasonable price) then I can see why GMRF was pursuing him, even if he doesn't have much offensive upside.  He wouldn't have solved our defensive woes, but maybe he'd have helped. 

Edited by LakeLivin

OK, guess I had some kind of skewed notion that there were periodic "trade deadlines", but your explanation makes sense OBXer. So really what we are saying is that most GMs want the "full playing field" from which to choose, not constrained by players in the Playoffs? Ebbs and Flows in hockey deals have always confused me as far as any type of mandated inactivity.

For me there is a lot to look forward to this off-season. The draft, the Staal contract negotiation, the goalie decision, trades,the chex new coach, the chex new roster. Unfortunate for me is the  summer always seems to be long periods of inactivity with short periods of real hockey news.

Yeah, for the teams out of the playoffs there is the general interst of the playoffs themselves, heightened by Coastal's contest, but really, for our own team it  is the deadest time of all.

I agree that there is a lot of potential intrigue this offseason. Some have suggested that GMRF will just roll one more year before making big moves (to get out from E and Ward's contracts). But others (Forslund speculated for instance) that he wanted a year to step slowly (last year), but needs to start really putting his mark on this team now. I am in that camp.

For one thing, the worst possible thing for the stunted fan base would be to combine no moves with another bad start. Even this observer would be fuming. Something to the "are you kidding me?" variety would be the reaction.

But outside of that, even those of us painted as eternal optimists at times, can see that this team has been rolled out there with the names on the score sheet showing great potential, only to witness the group fail on the ice, one too many times. Each year it has been a differnt combination of reasons why the team does not perform to the potential of player's historical norms, but it has happend too many times to roll the dice one more time without at least SOME changes.

At the moment, we have a team that showed a couple of nice stretches, but came up short, now missing arguably it's best defenseman. Not even I think that this team minus Sekera has a snowball's chance.

So, at the very least GMRF HAS to go out and find a legitimate top pair dman, yes the next part may ruffle some feathers, but even if he has to overpay. When you need one key piece and you are trying to woo someone to a small market with a losing history, you might have to overpay for that one key piece. I'm all for finding a diamond in the rough, but on this one, we are talking proven NHL top pair guy, not could be a find, European player.

Fleury is not going to be ready. Even if he makes huge strides and blows us away in camp, he is a bottom pair at best this year, and I think he's there next year. McKeown is not ready either. Pesce? again these guys might surprise, but we lost a top guy in his prime. Those guys might get there eventually, but not likely in the next two years. Even if we draft Hanifin or Provorov these guys will have at least a year's learning curve. Neither of them is Ekblad.

Again, I front load a contract, and no or limited NTC. We NEED the guy the next two years. After that, we might not. So pay him big for two years, then a bit less, then a bit more less. That makes him tradeable even if he has say a 5 year deal (or longer) because the gaining team gets him cheaper. Also, it makes keeping a guy more palatable, even if he slides down the depth chart.

Then there is Semin, E's renegotiation, Ward, and Skinner to deal with. Some decision needs to be made with each of them. If you chose not to decide, you still have made a choice. (Rush).

So: draft, UFA dman, Semin, E, Ward and Skinner are all issues for this offseason IMHO. If Francis makes something out of at least most of these it will have an effect and be an intersting offseason.....eventually.

Edited by remkin

There is no doubt finding a top pair D-man is one of the Canes priorities, Francis has already said that. How we achieve that is a little unclear. Free agency is obviously one route but I think it is as likely it will be through a trade. I haven't looked at the FA list and really I'm not sure who is available via trade but I think a couple filters should apply.

The target D-man (IMO) should be a top tier D-man, either an established top pair or a 2nd pair ready for prime time. The target should be a left handed shot to compliment Faulk. He should be at least 6' and 200 Ibs. He should be old enough to be experienced but young enough to help anchor our D for the next 3 to 5 years. Can we find someone that fits the bill, I have no idea.

Kind of a summary of my long Nakladal post above, but also a summary of our position in general:

We're not close enough where one big deal will put us over the top.  It's going to require at least one "big" deal and some "small ball" due to our lack of depth.  I'm all for the Canes looking into moves that don't really cost us and have little risk (such as signing Tolchisky or looking into Nakladal) as long as they're not viewed as being sufficient substitutes for the big moves that are needed.

Edited by LakeLivin

On Nakladal:

Here's what The Hockey News has in their scouting report:

Assets:

Owns good size for the National Hockey League game. Has a defensive conscience and usually keeps things simple in his own zone. Kills penalties with aplomb and also has a booming point shot.

Flaws:

Doesn't use his big shot enough and lacks offensive flair in general. Needs to adjust his game to North American-sized rinks. Could stand to add more bulk to his frame to maximize his NHL prospects.

Career Potential:

Big, solid defender.

Pretty sure he was selected as the best defensman in Finland's top league Liiga this past season (for whatever that's worth).

BD- do you have some knowledge about Nakladal's performance in the KHL? Because if you based your statement solely on his scoring stats, that's clearly not his game. 

I'm think it's safe to assume that all 3 of GMRF, the Flames GM, and the Blackhawks GM aren't idiots in going after a d-man who isn't likely to help them. I'm guessing that they view Nakladal's prospects as similar to TheHockeyNews report: "Big, solid defender".  Lord knows we could use some solid defense at this point. I mean, who in the current Canes roster do you trust defensively? (reminder: in the USA's 4-0 loss to Russia, J. Fauk was -3 and fell down at the blue line leading to an Ovie goal). 

I guess what I'm getting at is this: our defensive needs are bigger than simply signing just a "beast", which seems pretty unlikely at this point, anyways.  We paid Hainsey $3m and Gleason $1.2m last year; zero offense from either and I wouldn't label either as "shutdown". If Nakladal really does project as solid defensively (and presumably at a reasonable price) then I can see why GMRF was pursuing him, even if he doesn't have much offensive upside.  He wouldn't have solved our defensive woes, but maybe he'd have helped. 

If he was such a solid big d man then why on earth does he not have a contract already in the NHL prior to the tournament.  He had one good tournament outing and BAM contract time.  This to me is a total shot in the dark.  I would rate it right up there with basing our season success on if Boychuck can put up 2nd line numbers or not when he showed he was not NHL material for several years in a row.

One could argue that he played in the KHL because he wanted to be "closer to home".  However, signing with the Flames kind of negates that hypothesis.

Edited by bluedevil58

If he was such a solid big d man then why on earth does he not have a contract already in the NHL prior to the tournament.  He had one good tournament outing and BAM contract time.  This to me is a total shot in the dark.  I would rate it right up there with basing our season success on if Boychuck can put up 2nd line numbers or not when he showed he was not NHL material for several years in a row.

One could argue that he played in the KHL because he wanted to be "closer to home".  However, signing with the Flames kind of negates that hypothesis.

I think it's a safe assumption that the 3 teams trying to sign Nakladal did in depth scouting on the guy rather than taking a flier based on 1 tourney. You don't think NHL teams are scouting Finland's highest league throughout the year? Sorry BD, but lacking actual first hand knowledge I'm going to have to place more faith in the expertise of the 3 NHL teams recruiting him than on your speculation.

Think of it another way: Calgary signed him to a 1 year, 2-way deal. That gives them the potential upside of, say, a solid 3rd pair defender if their assessment turns out to be correct with basically no risk if not. Why wouldn't you sign him?  

:cheers:

Edited by LakeLivin

I was basing my comments on Nakladal's career stats at eliteprospects.com., which shows all of his career stats.

He was a minus player in 4 out of 5 seasons between the KHL and TPS Liga.

He doesn't produce points, that's not his game. He's also not physical according to what I've read. He's supposed to just be a solid defensive defenseman. But again, see my comments about how he compares to M. Jordan who was a first pairing d-man while Nakladal was a second pairing guy. If the Czechs felt Jordan was worthy of more minutes than Nakladal, then that must say something. Again, I think Jordan is a fringe NHLer.

I believe Nakladal was named best defenseman in a Czech league, but I don't know how much weight that carries.

Anyway, I'm just throwing stuff out there, but as was said it's a moot point.

I agree that addressing our defensive woes may involve some small-ball moves or chances on lesser known players. Whether this is the way to go I'm not sure. Our financial situation may demand it, but I would rather see some trades/signings that result in bringing in more proven players rather than taking shots in the dark.

I was basing my comments on Nakladal's career stats at eliteprospects.com., which shows all of his career stats.

He was a minus player in 4 out of 5 seasons between the KHL and TPS Liga.

He doesn't produce points, that's not his game. He's also not physical according to what I've read. He's supposed to just be a solid defensive defenseman. But again, see my comments about how he compares to M. Jordan who was a first pairing d-man while Nakladal was a second pairing guy. If the Czechs felt Jordan was worthy of more minutes than Nakladal, then that must say something. Again, I think Jordan is a fringe NHLer.

I believe Nakladal was named best defenseman in a Czech league, but I don't know how much weight that carries.

Anyway, I'm just throwing stuff out there, but as was said it's a moot point.

I agree that addressing our defensive woes may involve some small-ball moves or chances on lesser known players. Whether this is the way to go I'm not sure. Our financial situation may demand it, but I would rather see some trades/signings that result in bringing in more proven players rather than taking shots in the dark.

Not sure what to take from his +- stats. He spent 3 seasons in the KHL (not 4): +5, -6, 0 with a net +1 overall counting playoffs.  -5 in Liiga this year, but that's on a non-playoff team, so not sure what to make of it.     

I agree with your assessment of Jordan as a fringe NHL d-man, btw.  I looked at the last 3 games of Czech's world cup and Jordan and Nakladal had pretty much the same time on ice, so not sure how much the pairing assignments really mean. 

Again, I'm not saying this would have been a home run. And it wouldn't take the place of bigger, more important signings. But to me, the more opportunities Canes management take that have potential upside (even if it's just 3rd pair or even depth), with basically no risk (entry level 2-way contract), then the more chances we have to hit on some of them. The key being "basically no risk".  

edit: forgot to add: the one thing I did hear repeatedly is that Nak seems to be very good on the PK (and that's on the bigger ice). If so, I wonder if that specialty might be a big part of why multiple NHL teams were interested in him  despite no real offensive upside. 

Edited by LakeLivin

Seeing where there a several KHL players being snapped up because of flagging Russian economy. Wonder if our "new and improved" scouting group has any player under its radar? With Samsonov on board, surely we must have some insight?

Saw a rumor of Kessel coming to us, our 1st round  pick would be involved , with Semin going other way... This all sounds great, but dont want us giving up 5th over all pick..

Saw a rumor of Kessel coming to us, our 1st round  pick would be involved , with Semin going other way... This all sounds great, but dont want us giving up 5th over all pick..

This is a really old rumor that was first reported by Eklund from HockeyBuzz.  It has been discussed to death here and all over the internet.  Carolina is not paying his high salary with huge bonuses as well in addition to giving up the 5th overall pick.  And while he's a top offensive player in this league, I don't know how well he'd fit in Peter's team.  I wouldn't hate it if Kessel played for Carolina, but that's not a good deal for us.

Guess i was not paying enough attention, thanks for filling me in... Eklund , i wouldnt trust anyway...Love to   get off Semin off books, but thats not rocket science to everyone :)

Two quotes I heard/heard about from star players during the playoffs:

"The coaches told me if I wanted the puck on my stick more, then go back in my own zone and get it."

-Patrick Kane

"It took me a long time in this league to learn that my offense comes from playing defense."

-Rick Nash

I'm not saying these guys are going to win the Selke any time soon, but Jeff Skinner could certainly learn something from these statements, as could a few other players on our roster.

Defense leads to offense.

I wish they kept a time of possession stat like they do in football for time spent in the offensive zone with the puck.  That would be an informative thing to know.  I know there are games when it seems like the ice is tilted one way or the other.  It would be interesting to see how that actually measures out.