The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2015 Off-Season talk

I don't know what will happen with Semin his departure at any minute would make me feel a ton better about some playoff chances next year. However with or without him I think our chances are slim next year and with that in mind I could see PK being arrogant and holding onto him another year until Eric/Cam's contracts are up and some real changes can happen.

The right thing's to buyout Semin and yes I think PK is arrogant enough to not want to pay the man and be done with him.

My door is wide open for surprise though, bring it on.

Im not holding my breath for a Sem's buyout, but dmn sure hoping it happens.. as well as hoping for some deal that brings a real 1st line NHL caliber player to the team. Cant take any more of the Staal's show on ice...and while im in hope mode, might as well be hopeful that their are no candy NTC's giveaways in RF's basket....

A new Rumors and Trade Speculation topic has been started HERE

Most hockey message boards have such a thread and its a good place for those of us who like to talk about the latest speculation. For those who don't they can ignore.

Posts in this forum that were about rumors and what if... have been moved to the new topic

Ok so how bout this scenario with Semin. We can't trade him and we don't buy him out. He works his butt off all summer because he's completely embarassed by his performance last year. He comes back next year and puts up 35 goals. He has to have some kind of pride in him for hockey. I mean who wants to be the laughing stock of the NHL. I think his problem last year was that he didn't do any work in the off season and was two steps behind everybody, it than messed with his game and confidence and he fell apart. It's possible, just saying.

Ok so how bout this scenario with Semin. We can't trade him and we don't buy him out. He works his butt off all summer because he's completely embarassed by his performance last year. He comes back next year and puts up 35 goals. He has to have some kind of pride in him for hockey. I mean who wants to be the laughing stock of the NHL. I think his problem last year was that he didn't do any work in the off season and was two steps behind everybody, it than messed with his game and confidence and he fell apart. It's possible, just saying.

Remkin has been looking for someone to live on his island.  I'm sure he'll be glad to have the company.

:D

Ah yes, the Island...well that thing has been boarded up for a while now.

Though, even when it opened it was before the J injury, the Skinner concussion, and the Semin melt down...

At this very moment, hard for even me to think about going back there.

Then again, after the draft and a few moves.....

There was towards the end of the season but in true Legend fashion I can't remember what was said, frankly I think it was status quo for him no real improvement.

I love a good come back story though and would root for him. Beyond the obvious amount of suckage for that to happen to him in his final 2 seasons with us frankly I thought he was finally playing to his level of talent. Then that happened.

I agree, Joni was looking like the guy he could be, and then the freak injury. 

He was evidently skating toward the end of last season, which sounded like an accomplishment in and of itself considering he couldn't even bear any weight on his foot for such a long time.

I remember a Chip tweet that paraphrased a statement of his at this time saying he "hoped to play hockey at a high level again".

Edited by coastal_caniac

I also read that he was skating.  And if the heel truly heals? Pitkanen is only 31 years old with a couple less years of wear and tear on his body than the typical 31yo NHLdefenseman. It would take a bit for him to get back into NHL shape, but I wonder how long? The overall physical conditioning shouldn't take longer than a couple of months. The experience is already there. Reflexes/ hockey sense/ hockey shape  might take longer, but what, a year in Europe/ AHL?

Hey, it's a long shot, but it sure would make a great come back story if he made it back to contribute again in the NHL.   

Didn't the team go on a 15 game.losing streak after Joni went down or was that at another time?

Actually. Short season right. ? Team went on a major losing streak when he came back from injury. They were actually looking better then Joni gets back And they lose 4 of every 5 games they play is the way I remember it. I'm sure someone else can look up the stats. I just remember it seemed like the team was playing better (not great) and has a little hope of possible playoff chances then he came back and losses became more than wins. Then he broke his heel. (Awful) I do hope he makes a come back. Just not here sorry.

In 2012-2013 the short season he played half the season and the best 22 games I remembered of him, after he destroyed his heel the team went on a massive losing streak.

In 2011-2012 I agree I remember him coming back and not being the same that he started as but who would have been? However I don't recall it triggering a losing streak....you can look that up and correct me since it's your point not mine.

Edited by legend-1

From what I have read, and from talking to a friend that is an orthopaedist, this is an injury that a person may be lucky just to be able to live a halfway normal life after.  That bone is a hard shell around a softer center and it shatters more than breaks.  Normal "maximum" recovery time is 18-24 months.  Joni is just basically to the point of getting to his maximum recovery point.  Notice I said maximum, not total.  It would be a minor miracle if Joni was able to make it back to the NHL, but I wish him the best.

The more I think on this whole thing, the more I realize that everything hinges on what Francis intends to to with the Captain. Will E sign a new deal that lowers his salary signficiantly, and ideally at least limit his NTC to stay here? If so, does GMRF want to build around him?

I know that there is not a lot of love for E lately, and J's offsensive woes have compounded that, but in reality if you take E off this team, we could very quickly become the Buffalo of last year. If you don't sign a new deal for E, does it make sense to get nothing for him, or a deadline deal? Does it make sense to keep Ward for one more year, if we could get a first rounder for him, if there is no E Staal next year?

Thus, if we don't re-sign E, it makes most sense to trade him, and then probably to trade Ward. That, is a full rebuild. The remaining pieces do not make even a slightly below average NHL team.

Dont' get me wrong. It is not the end of the world. E and Ward would fetch return. Probably a pick in this draft for Ward, and E. a very good defenseman or forward, and or another pick. We would have tons of cap space and say 2 first rounders this year and 2-3 next year.

But it is full on blow up rebuild at that point. Even Skinner could go too.

But if he does sign E. at a lower rate, then he builds around Staal squared, Linholm, Rask, Faulk, Fleury, and our new picks. Skinner? He is a stand alone. Could go either way.

Also the much bandied rumor about Kessel et all, makes more sense if we keep E. If we are rebuilding full on, (E goes) we want the best possible young pick at 5 for sure. We are not going to build around Kessel and Kadri w/out E I wouldn't think.

It all comes down to E. Will he take a cut? Does GMRF want him even w/ a cut?

Please post Rumors and trade speculation in the Rumors and Trade Speculation topic Here

What does news and/or updates about Joni Pitkanen have to do with trade rumors and speculation?

Not trying to be smart or anything, just asking for clarification.

A better title for the newly created thread, IMO, would be Trade Rumors and Speculation, which would more narrowly define the intent of that thread.

Or maybe I just don't understand the intent of the other thread?

Edited by coastal_caniac

What does news and/or updates about Joni Pitkanen have to do with trade rumors and speculation?

A better title for the newly created thread, IMO, would be Trade Rumors and Speculation, which would more narrowly define the intent of that thread.

I don't think OBs post refers to the one about Joni currently above it, rather to one that he moved to Rumors and Trade. 

Sorry for the confusion. I had moved a couple of posts that were speculating on Sutter. I should of left a reference.

Joni is certainly post worthy in this thread,. I also wish him well and like a few others thought he was playing his best hockey the year he was injured. I doubt he will return to the NHL but if he did I would pull for him.

The more I think on this whole thing, the more I realize that everything hinges on what Francis intends to to with the Captain. Will E sign a new deal that lowers his salary signficiantly, and ideally at least limit his NTC to stay here? If so, does GMRF want to build around him?

I

I think it is important for Francis to know if he is building a team around E or without E. I would think he would at least want to have an idea in his mind if E and the Canes are close to mutual terms. Since E's contract isn't up until the end of next season a contract extension doesn't have to be imminent. But I do think moves made this summer, be they draft, signing or trade, will be made with the GMs conclusion on E's future with the Canes.

Before the season ended Francis said he would be talking with E (agent) but since then it has been very quiet.

We're discussing what we think should happen this offseason.  What will happen may be influenced in large part by how quickly PK expects GMRF to turn things around.  Up in Toronto, Shanahan is committed to a rebuild that he acknowledges will take a number of years.  I wonder what PK thinks here in Carolina?    

PK likes our core and thinks we should be playing for another Cup soon...I don't think any deals will be made until the Cup is won. Isn't there easentially a gentleman's agreement that no trades are made during the playoffs?

I don't thing PK has any illusions we are going to get better doing the same things we have done in the past.  I also don't think he has any illusions we are going to be a contender in the short term.

He hired Francis and stood shoulder to shoulder in that press conference and in his own sandpaper way of talking told the fans to be patient.

It's a process.  I like the direction so far and I'm sticking with the patient part as long as I see one step forward, and not 3 steps back as in the past.