The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2015 Off-Season talk

In other news, the Canes signed Lucas Wallmark to an entry-level deal. More Swedes.

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=770616

He was talked about at the draft last year of being a steal. Nothing was said about whether he would come over to NA next year.

Nice.

I read in a recent article that he was "developing nicely." I also read that he needed more ice time.

I also read that he needs to work on his skating. Sounds like Rask (which is a good thing, and going by the comment that he plays in all three zones they may share a lot of similarities).

Awhile back there was a question as to whether Wallmark and Karlesson would come to NA this year. Hopefully this is a good sign.

Edited by Kyrule

I'm no skating talent evaluator, and I could be imagning things, but I think Rask must really have worked on his skating last offseason, because the Rask of the camp of two years ago, vs. last year, was night and day. If Wallmark makes the show, it will be a fairly rare post second round hit for our drafting team, which would be nice.

Francis, "Eric, we want you to remain our captain, but with things the way they are, we really need the deal to be about $6mil a year for 5 years. How do you feel about that?"

EStaal, "I'm not going to sign for less money than the guy that stands around, picking his nose all night"

Francis "I do see that point. How about 5 years at $7,000,001 a year? More than Old Nosepicker"

3 yrs ^million max.  That's overpayment for a 50 point center, but not too out of line for the top scorer on a bottom rung team.

As you know by now, I really like the idea of front loaded deals with no NTC's. Makes sense w/ Staal too. Whatever the deal, give him most of it the first year, then year 2 a little less then years 3 and on less.

If the deal were say $6.5 million/year for 5 years:

$8 million year one

$7.5 miillion year two

$6.0 million year three

$5.5 million years four and five.

If the player turns out not to deliver fully, he is still tradeable. Both at the current lower salary, and the gaining team just "knowing" that the salary (and cap hit) will be going down over the years, makes him much more movable. Plus your cap situation here just keeps improving if he stays. Pay them now, especially if PK loosens the internal cap a touch knowing he's buying future flexibility. May not be great on the purse today, but it is good for the team and the GM, and good for the long run. Plus, even if the player declines, there is a chance he is still worth the lower salary, and your points per dollar does not get too out of whack.

Plus it lowers the risk of giving more years since the highest risk years are at a low rate (espeicially after league salary inflation over the years).

If we want Ward, same type of deal. Note I said IF.

Would E go for such a deal? I don't know. He might if he really wants to stay here. Yes, he has the NTC, but not after this year. Plus at the end of this current deal, he should be set finanicially for life. Especially after those first two years of the new deal too. Also, with fans on about his salary vs production, he would have his money banked, but at the end could actually be a huge deal for the team.

Edited by remkin

. . .

If the player turns out not to deliver fully, he is still tradeable. Both at the current lower salary, and the gaining team just "knowing" that the salary (and cap hit) will be going down over the years, makes him much more movable. Plus your cap situation here just keeps improving if he stays. Pay them now, especially if PK loosens the internal cap a touch knowing he's buying future flexibility. May not be great on the purse today, but it is good for the team and the GM, and good for the long run. Plus, even if the player declines, there is a chance he is still worth the lower salary, and your points per dollar does not get too out of whack.

. . .

Pretty sure the annual cap hit is calculated as the average annual salary over the life of the contract and doesn't vary from year to year like actual salary can.  So moving a front loaded contract to a cap constrained team might still be problematic, even towards the back end.  Of course, there will always be teams with more cap space then actual dollars they're willing to spend (can you say "Carolina Hurricanes"?) 

A couple of interesting points I saw regarding variable contracts:

New for 2013: Salary in each year of a contract cannot vary by more than 35 percent from any other year. Also, salary in any year of the contract cannot be less than 50 per cent of the highest year.

Yeah, front-loaded contracts don't really accomplish much, most teams have the cash, and the cap hit is the AAV of the contract, and the receiving team in a trade doesn't get cap relief.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Sure go ahead and ruin my beautiful idea with facts. :crybaby:

But there are front loaded contracts. JML is a good example. Maybe they make less sense in terms of  the cap. The rules about different years was put in to stop people from getting around cap issues mainly.

Maybe not as good, but they do still seem to happen.

Edited by remkin

Mike Maniscalco wrote about the Staal sign or trade chatter today at the WRAL site.

He included some remarks fro Ron Francis

I asked Francis if the organization is seeking to trade its captain, he responded, “No, not at this point.”

So what if Francis is approached by another team inquiring about Staal?

“It is my job to explore every avenue of making this team better,” Francis said, noting that his job is to do what is best for the organization. Listening to an offer would be something he would have to do.

Decent enough numbers in Europe. He is 28 so he should help the Chex get more veteran and give Canes some depth.

5'10" and 170 lbs. 

He's our boy.

Never mind, he's the next Kane or Johnson.

Depth signing for Charlotte.  Somebody has to play there and be available for call ups.

Edited by super_dave_1

5'10" and 170 lbs. 

He's our boy.

Depth signing for Charlotte.  Somebody has to play there and be available for call ups.

Hahahaha!  Don't you start SD.

Doubt that as don't see him as replacement for either, course I haven't seen him play ever?? I've no doubt that he could not replace what we've seen of Nastrasil, but my boy, Nash, meh??

Also, now that Stanley is behind us, I'm just wondering if the trade flood gates will open?

Would also like to see the Checkers coaching situation firm up.

5'10" and 170 lbs. 

He's our boy.

I know, right? And with Kevin Westgarth still available!!  Just kidding s_d. :P

I know, right? And with Kevin Westgarth still available!!  Just kidding s_d. :P

Good Lord, we don't want The Pylon back.  Size and skill, not big and useless.

Maybe they are having trouble signing Nash or Nestrasil. Replacement insurance?

This may be more of a Terry/Dwyer replacement than a Nash/Nestrasil replacement player.

Or maybe they're giving Ryan a shot in lieu of re-signing Boychuk.  Boychuk is valuable in Charlotte but maybe GMRF is giving up on his potential to help the Canes. Perhaps the idea is that Ryan can fill the Boychuk hole with the Chex and has some potential to help the big team down the line.

A few thoughts have crossed my mind since the Ryan signing

The first is that MacIntyre said before he signed he wasn't going to spend another year with the chex if it was a youth movement. He signed so maybe Francis plan is to get a decent amount of older players in the Charlotte mix.

Ryan is a center so I doubt Nesty, Boychuk, Terry or Dwyer's  status were part of the decision.

Charlotte needs scoring and he is known as a play making center

He skated for Peters before and sometimes a coach and player have developed a "chemistry"

Both Riley Nash and Brody Sutter are RFA's. and Holmstrom is a UFA.  You would think we would re-sign them but you never know.

Since I haven't seen him play I can't be sure but he has played well over in Europe according to what I'm reading. I would say a good signing and worth the risk.

Reports from early June had the Avs on the verge of signing Ryan.  Caps, Blues, and Leafs were also reportedly in the hunt (no mention of the Canes back then)  Without knowing details, I'd say good on GMRF for inking the deal. 

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/story/2015-06-05/derek-ryan-free-agent-colorado-avalanche-toronto-maple-leafs-st-louis-blues-swedish-league

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/04/report-avs-close-to-signing-top-shl-forward-derek-ryan/

Edited by LakeLivin