The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2015 Off-Season talk

What team out there could give a player a better shot at making a roster for a forward?  He could very well be the 1st call up if he has any skill since the cupboard is bare.

If you don't follow Chip Alexander on twitter you might want to check out his tweets today. ice_chip

He apparently talked with Francis and touches on Staal and Ward extensions, Semin's status, the draft among other things.

Chip Alexander @ice_chip 3h3 hours ago

Francis on Staal, Ward: "I do think they want to be a part of turning the organization around and getting it back to where it once was."

After reading the tweets it appears (to me) that Francis used last year as an evaluation time and is now ready to make some moves.

Good stuff OBXer, also added a tweet about UFA's saying that from his experience their free agent contract demands often are "a bit extreme."

So to me that begs the question of an immediate need on defense if we don't fill the Sekera void in UFA. Seems more likely to include a trade for defense. Another quote clearly implied he is ready to deal this year and as you mention OBXer, was not really open to non pending UFA moves last year.

After reading the tweets it appears (to me) that Francis used last year as an evaluation time and is now ready to make some moves.

Sure sounds like he's moved off the evaluation mode and is open to any possibilities doesn't it.

Back to the Ryan signing for a moment for anyone interested.  Here's an interview with Ryan by an Alberta radio station.  Most of the Canes related discussion occurs around the 6-9 minute mark.  It defines why he chose to sign with the Canes.

https://soundcloud.com/630ched/oilers-now-june-16-seg-4-derek-ryan?in=630ched/sets/oilers-now-1

So article in the N/O fleshes out Chip's tweets. The line that caught me:

"While keeping things close to the vest, Francis now says the team could have a new look next season, indicating he could be taking a new, bolder approach."

I've mused that Francis might well try to really start putting his stamp on this team sooner than later. Personally I think going intot this year w/ out a good veteran defensive pick up is not OK. Somehow, some way, he at least needs to do that. He also mentions that (espeically early) UFA's tend to get crazy contracts. This really says "trade" to me.

Back to the Ryan signing for a moment for anyone interested.  Here's an interview with Ryan by an Alberta radio station.  Most of the Canes related discussion occurs around the 6-9 minute mark.  It defines why he chose to sign with the Canes.

https://soundcloud.com/630ched/oilers-now-june-16-seg-4-derek-ryan?in=630ched/sets/oilers-now-1

Good stuff coastal. The fact that Ryan led his league in scoring the past 2 years (especially the Swedish league), combined with Peters first hand experience with him, leads me to be guardedly optimistic that he might add some scoring punch next season.      

Edited by LakeLivin

Listening to that clip, coastal, where Ryan compares himself to Johnson, gets me excited. Is "small and skilled" the wave of the future? If so, look out Marner!!

As an aside, someone please tell me why my brilliant spell check on my laptop always wants to correct proper names, like Marner to Marnier?

Listening to that clip, coastal, where Ryan compares himself to Johnson, gets me excited. Is "small and skilled" the wave of the future? If so, look out Marner!!

As an aside, someone please tell me why my brilliant spell check on my laptop always wants to correct proper names, like Marner to Marnier?

I don't know about "the wave of the future", but I think the game is changing with more of an emphasis on speed and skill.  As do the Edmonton analysts in the clip coastal linked.  Listen to them from about the 9:50 mark on through 11:30.  https://soundcloud.com/630ched/oilers-now-june-16-seg-4-derek-ryan?in=630ched/sets/oilers-now-1  Some excerpts: 

• The game has changed
  • Gotta be able to skate
  • there's more room for smaller players
  • it's a different time. You gotta have puck skills and you've gotta be able to skate.
  • in the cup finals you watch some of the bigger players struggle because the defense checks them so tight.  Some of the skilled guys can get more room because they're quick and can get away from the checks.
Edited by LakeLivin

Exactly how is there more room for smaller players?

I tried to listen to the clip last night and was having issues.  Can't do it at work, so I may be missing something from the context.

Not arguing the size thing here, but I'm curious where the "more room" comes from.  I certainly agree with the speed and skating being important.

Exactly how is there more room for smaller players?

I tried to listen to the clip last night and was having issues.  Can't do it at work, so I may be missing something from the context.

Not arguing the size thing here, but I'm curious where the "more room" comes from.  I certainly agree with the speed and skating being important.

I think they mean in the NHL.  The context I got is that the success of diminutive players like Tyler Johnson, Teuvo Teravainen, and Johnny Gaudreau is opening the door for players like Derek Ryan.

Edited by LakeLivin

I think they mean in the NHL.  The context I got is that the success of diminutive players like Tyler Johnson, Teuvo Teravainen, and Johnny Gaudreau is opening the door for players like Derek Ryan.

I was thinking it meant "on ice" room.  That confused me.  Maybe it's there is more room in the league for smaller, more skilled players, especially with the role of enforcer pretty much gone.

Edited by super_dave_1

Two things on Ryan:

1) My hopes top out at a contributing 3rd line center. I don't expect to hit the jackpot with another Tyler Johnson. 

2) Check out that uniform;does that scream "NASCAR" or what?

ryan.jpg

Edited by LakeLivin

One way deal on Jordan?

Same question jumped out at me. If it is a 1-way deal I'm not so sure the signing is great news. To me it seems like it might be a signal of a cap on how much of an upgrade to the defense we can expect next season.   Not to say we won't pursue a FA d-man, but ideally I'd prefer to see Jordan as depth at this point, not projected as a regular with the Canes. 

Edited by LakeLivin

On Ryan, personally I pump the brakes on expecting too much at the NHL level. I've been guilty of hoping on several offseason signings over the years. Most of them don't pan out at the NHL level. Not that Ryan might not. But there is a lot of talk about Francis rebuilding the Checkers too, including adding some veteran presence there.

I do wonder what we do w/ Nash. Not sure of his trade value.

Do we keep E.? Do we keep the Staals together? Might need more centers than we think and Ryan would give at least some organizational depth there.

I think Ryan is a prospect with upside, but making the team out of camp he will need to really turn heads.

Love the uni!!! And wouldn't it be something if he was another Tyler Johnson find?

It definitely would, but I don't know if it's fair of us to even put that kind of speculation out there.  I'd hate to inadvertently create expectations Ryan probably has little chance of living up to.   

For perspective: Both Ryan and Johnson played with Spokane in the WHL. 

In Ryan's last year there ('06-'07) he put up 28g and 59p in 72 games. 

Johnson put up 53g, 115p in 71 games during his last year ('10-'11).  

And even though Ryan led the Swedish league in scoring, he had 60 points in 55 games, one more than Jeff Taffe, a 34-year-old journeyman who played 180 NHL games split among five teams.

I'm hoping Ryan turns out to be a contributor, but I don't see him as a star.  I see Tolchinsky as having a much higher probability of making a big impact than Ryan. Unfortunately, Tolchinsky is likely at least a season or two away from being NHL ready.

Edited by LakeLivin

the heat and the doldrums of summer are upon us,  I find that  watching paint dry is more exciting than NASCAR and MLB

the heat and the doldrums of summer are upon us,  I find that  watching paint dry is more exciting than NASCAR and MLB

I enjoy NASCAR.  A huge wad of people going round in circles ,tailgating each other at 200MPH.  Just like 5:00P.M. on 440.

Well, I found an old 1960's rerun last night of Georgia Championship Wrestling and they had Chief Wahoo McDaniel against Ollie and Ole Anderson in a cage match.   Chief Wahoo was beating up on them so badly Dusty Rhodes (RIP, 2015) had to jump in and save the day.

It was quite entertaining.

The next one they are doing is Killer Kowalski (the stomach claw hold) vs 600 lb Haystacks Calhoun.  You should tune in, it even beats paint drying.

Edited by coastal_caniac

So, just came across an article that Brent Pedersen was not signed, and thus will reenter the draft. Sorry, can't give the exact site, but saw it on Canes Country site just put up. Thought they'd been hope expressed that Pedersen was making progress? The article also gives names of 2 Detroit draftees who were also not signed?