The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2015 Off-Season talk

So, just came across an article that Brent Pedersen was not signed, and thus will reenter the draft. Sorry, can't give the exact site, but saw it on Canes Country site just put up. Thought they'd been hope expressed that Pedersen was making progress? The article also gives names of 2 Detroit draftees who were also not signed?

I found the Pedersen reference on SB Nation

The Two Red Wing prospects that will re-enter the draft are

Mitch Wheaton, 139th overall in 2013 and

Marc McNulty , 169th overall pick. Both WHL defensemen  

Other re-entering the draft are

Chris Clapperton     LW     Florida Panthers 122nd Pick

Brent Pedersen     LW     Carolina Hurricanes 126th Pick

Blake Heinrich     D     Washington Capitals 144th Pick

Myles Bell     RW     New Jersey Devils 160th Pick

Brendan Burke     G     Arizone Coyotes 163rd Pick

Tommy Veilleux     LW     Nashville Predators 171st Pick

Alexandre Belanger     G     Minnesota Wild 200th Pick

Miles Liberati     D     Vancouver Canucks 205th Pick

Anthony Brodeur     G     New Jersey Devils 208th Pick

Mitchell Dempsey     LW     Boston Bruins 210th Pick

Hockey's Future analysis

Pedersen has the size and grit to be a lower line forward but is not a naturally gifted offensive player. Now in his fourth season of junior hockey his offensive production has increased so there is some potential in the area. But he is not expected to be a big scorer at the pro level and that is not the key part of his game.

He is a big kid but I guess he thinks he will have a better shot elsewhere. He might be right.

I found the Pedersen reference on SB Nation

. . .

He is a big kid but I guess he thinks he will have a better shot elsewhere. He might be right.

Was it Pedersens decision not to sign or the Canes decision not to offer him a contract? For the 2 Wings prospects the article stated that the decision was Detroits.

Was it Pedersens decision not to sign or the Canes decision not to offer him a contract? For the 2 Wings prospects the article stated that the decision was Detroits.

Hmm..I may have made a bad assumption. I don't know who walked, us or him.

Just a reminder, the buyout period starts TODAY and ends on June 30.

Wonder if the Canes will use the buyout on "anybody"?

Wasn't "anybody" supposed to stay in Raleigh this offseason?  I wonder if whatever work he's doing (or not) might influence a buyout decision . . . 

And speaking of "anybody", I just ran across this: http://penslabyrinth.com/2015/05/20/pittsburgh-penguins-semin/

Some excerpts:

During General Manager Jim Rutherford‘s final press conference at locker clean out, he talked about having to trade for one or two top-six forwards due to the lack of high-end free agents on the market this year. . . Who is someone that the Penguins can take a run on this summer?

That answer is Alexander Semin. Yes, we’ve all heard about him. He is lazy, does not care, and always gives up.  But, could you imagine Semin being on a line with Evgeni Malkin? It’s almost guaranteed that we would no longer see scoring problems with Alex Semin alongside the top talent of the Pittsburgh Penguins.

The Hurricanes know they will have to retain a large chunk of his salary if they want to move him. If Semin could score 20-25 goals for the Pittsburgh Penguins at $4 to $4.5 million, folks would quickly forget the concerns they have about him.

Semin seems to be at the tail end of his prime years and even though it does not seem he will reach the 40 goal mark again in his career, it is well worth the risk. He has a rocket of a shot and a wicked release. Playing with a Russian center in Malkin could rejuvenate Semin’s career and put him among some of the elite shooters in the game.

Also, his trade value is as low as it can get and the Hurrincanes know that. Obtaining the services of Semin could be a huge steal this offseason for the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Lake's response?  Yes please!!

If there's a chance someone might want to steal Semin, we should leave him in a bad neighborhood with the doors unlocked and say really loud, "Gee, I hope no one steals my most skilled hockey player." Then walk away.

Lake: seriously, I thought you made that whole thing up.   You didn't. 

But come on, you really think JR would be that looney?  Even if the Cane's retained $3M per year as Druga suggests, that would be a benefit over the buy out cost.  The only danger is Semin does wake up and damages the Canes during play.  Doubtful.

I think the whole article is crazy.  I can't imagine this happening.  Then again, JR may really be Karmonos's trojan horse.  Who knows?

Heck, I said a long time ago we need to stick Semin on the curb with a "free" sign on him and pin a $20 bill on his collar.

Anything to get that worthless POS(tuff to keep it PC) out of town.  I don't want what he has to stick to anybody else in the locker room.

I thought the editorial was interesting, but no, I wouldn't put much stock in the likelihood of Semin --> Pitt.  That editorial is from a site called FanSided, which as the name suggests is written by fans. Below is an excerpt from a different author over there:

"According to Rossi, Evgeni Malkin is in favor of the Pens signing Sergei Gonchar and luring Alexander Radulov back to the NHL. He also stated that Malkin isn’t a fan of Semin, and neither is Sidney Crosby."

Not much is going to happen to the Pens if Malkin and Crosby are against it. Still, the original article was interesting if nothing else . . . 

I thought the editorial was interesting, but no, I wouldn't put much stock in the likelihood of Semin --> Pitt.  That editorial is from a site called FanSided, which as the name suggests is written by fans. Below is an excerpt from a different author over there:

"According to Rossi, Evgeni Malkin is in favor of the Pens signing Sergei Gonchar and luring Alexander Radulov back to the NHL. He also stated that Malkin isn’t a fan of Semin, and neither is Sidney Crosby."

Not much is going to happen to the Pens if Malkin and Crosby are against it. Still, the original article was interesting if nothing else . . . 

Yes, it is interesting.  It is a fact of today's blog-o-sphere age that you can read all kinds of drivel.

However, when you aggregate the drivel, sometimes trends appear.  One hockey-blog-drivel theme I read about a lot (including on this msg board) is the old, "Maybe if we get Player X, he will be re-energized and play back to his greatness."

That happens sometimes.  But not enough.  I feel like the Canes have been burned enough on that try.  (Yes, I know the exceptions: Stillman and Jokinenen - for a while at least.)

Wasn't "anybody" supposed to stay in Raleigh this offseason?  I wonder if whatever work he's doing (or not) might influence a buyout decision . . . 

Well, one "anybody" was planning on returning to Russia immediately after the season, and then come back to Raleigh on July 2nd. Since that is after the buyout window closes (June 30th), it's not likely to affect any decision.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/nhl/carolina-hurricanes/article18404441.html

Wish we could lure Dadonov from the KHL to trade him to Pittsburgh.

Hi, everyone! Would not it be better to keep him? He is a solid player now.

Although, neither of this is gonna happen.

Dadonov said in the recent interview that he doesn't mind going back to the NHL but sees no point in this whole "everyone's rushing to the NHL" thing. He added that he should still work some more to be ready to the NHL.

Seems like two more seasons he's signed by SKA we're not gonna see him here.

Edited by aRyazanCaniac

Hi, everyone! Would not it be better to keep him? He is a solid player now.

Although, neither of this is gonna happen.

Dadonov said in the recent interview that he doesn't mind going back to the NHL but sees no point in this whole "everyone's rushing to the NHL" thing. He added that he should still work some more to be ready to the NHL.

Seems like two more seasons he's signed by SKA we're not gonna see him here.

Yeah, when he turns 27, he can from a RFA to a UFA. He will be highly sought after so I doubt we will be able to keep him. Just thought we could try to get something out of nothing, but I doubt it. Oh well, wish him luck though.

Edited by donwake

Not sure how it'd work but if Radulov came back to the NHL it should be the Preds dealing him. My opinion, I have no idea if they've retained his rights in that extremely odd situation.

Well, one "anybody" was planning on returning to Russia immediately after the season, and then come back to Raleigh on July 2nd. Since that is after the buyout window closes (June 30th), it's not likely to affect any decision.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/nhl/carolina-hurricanes/article18404441.html

Ah, when I read that he would return to Raleigh early to work on his conditioning it must have registered as he'd stay in Raleigh.  Too bad it's not the latter; it might have helped with managements decision if they saw him actually working hard.

Having a top line Russian player on his team did not keep Semin motivated in Washington. And I don't remember Ovechkin lobbying for the Capitals to keep him. If anything, Russian players like Malkin and Ovechkin probably know more about Semin's worth or lack thereof than anyone.

I think there would be a tremendous outcry from all Penguins fans if JR makes any deal with the Hurricanes for an underperforming asset. I think this topic has found it's way into the wrong thread.

Rumor has it that Carolina is one of the few teams that Patrick Sharp is interesting in playing for.  I doubt this will happen but that would be interesting if this guy came on board.  No way we could afford it though....

bluedevil58, I'd not heard that, and in fact, have been very disheartened that the Canes have not been linked to anyone at all. Not surprising though that this team is not a destination spot for anyone with any aspiration of making the playoffs.

I'd love to bring Sharpie aboard, and have felt that way for many years. Too, what makes you say we could not afford him, as this team is nowhere near the Cap?

Edited by KJUNKANE

Rumor has it that Carolina is one of the few teams that Patrick Sharp is interesting in playing for.  I doubt this will happen but that would be interesting if this guy came on board.  No way we could afford it though....

bluedevil58, I'd not heard that, and in fact, have been very disheartened that the Canes have not been linked to anyone at all. Not surprising though that this team is not a destination spot for anyone with any aspiration of making the playoffs.

I'd love to bring Sharpie aboard, and have felt that way for many years. Too, what makes you say we could not afford him, as this team is nowhere near the Cap?

From NHL rumors:

Chicago isn't willing to simply give him (Sharp) away, as it is reportedly asking for "a first-round pick, A-level prospect and top-six forward on entry-level contract," according to a June 19 report from B.D. Gallof of The Fourth Period.

That's awfuly steep for a 33yo who had a down year this past season.  How do you know if it's just a blip or if Sharp, as good as he's been in the past, is a player in decline?  The only way I even come within the same zip code as Chicago's ask is if I'm a team on the cusp of contending for a cup.  That certainly doesn't describe our Carolina Hurricanes . . .

Edited by LakeLivin

From NHL rumors:

Chicago isn't willing to simply give him (Sharp) away, as it is reportedly asking for "a first-round pick, A-level prospect and top-six forward on entry-level contract," according to a June 19 report from B.D. Gallof of The Fourth Period.....

They must have been drinking from that Cup they just won because this guy is washed up.  He was a non-factor in their run and floated around picking up mishandled Goalie gifts.

"a first-round pick, A-level prospect and top-six forward on entry-level contract"

So they essentially want a 2nd line for him?

One that's super $$ friendly as well. How much would that be worth to any team flirting with the cap?

They must have been drinking from that Cup they just won because this guy is washed up.  He was a non-factor in their run and floated around picking up mishandled Goalie gifts.

Yeah, maybe someone got drunk and substituted the word "and" for the word "or" in their asking price. :P