The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2015 Off-Season talk

I think a high to mid-second rounder is likely what Chicago will end up getting for Sharp.

I'm thinking maybe a bit more, but they're not exactly in a great bargaining position since everyone knows they have to shed salary with the massive Towes and Kane contracts kicking in (and Saad needs his $$ as well).  I'm thinking maybe a team like Florida might be interested?  Or maybe a Buffalo or Edmonton to mentor the yutes?  Although rumors have the Caps as the leading trade partner candidate . . .

I was thinking if Sharp wanted here, the best offer i'd give is Semin (reduced rate), L.A's 1st (lottery protected), and Phil Di Giuseppe. 

I just don't see any way we could make a deal for Sharp work.

From their perspective:

Ignoring the whole "Semin enigma" thing, the Hawks have to shed salary big time; we'd have to retain so much of Semin's salary it would cost us more than a buy out.

From ours:

Sharp is 33yo, seems to be on the decline, and gets $11.5m over the next 2 years. Given where we currently are, would Sharp make enough of a difference to us during that time to make it worth giving up young assets? Cause at the end of the 2 years, he's 35 yo and a UFA.

The Patrick Sharp of the last couple years (before last season) was worth a lot.  I really don't know what the Patrick Sharp of the next couple years would be worth. To the right team it could still be a lot.  To us, I'm not so sure . . . 

Edited by LakeLivin

NHL plans move to 3-on-3 overtimes

http://espn.go.com/n...katers-per-side

Five minute 3-on-3.  No 4-on-4 to start the overtime.  I'm a big proponent of going to 3-on-3 after 3 or 4 minutes of 4-on-4, but I'm not too sure about starting OT immediately with 3-on-3. I read that approximately 23% of NHL games go to OT.  That much 3-on-3 time has got to drastically raise the value of fast, skilled puck handlers, doesn't it?

Edited by LakeLivin

NHL plans move to 3-on-3 overtimes

http://espn.go.com/n...katers-per-side

Five minute 3-on-3. No 4-on-4 to start the overtime. I'm a big proponent of going to 3-on-3 after 3 or 4 minutes of 4-on-4, but I'm not too sure about starting OT immediately with 3-on-3. I read that approximately 23% of NHL games go to OT. That much 3-on-3 time has got to drastically raise the value of fast, skilled puck handlers, doesn't it?

Well I am very happy about three on three, that is going to be some very exciting hockey. I agree with Lake however I was expecting a little bit of 4 on 4 first. I would think this would make speed and skill even more important now, including on defense. Edited by remkin

The NHLPA pushed for 3 on 3 and got what they wanted.

They didn't want anything to do with any changes that would increase player time on the ice.  They were going to stick with whatever could be done within the current 5 minute overtime.  I can see they don't want the increased wear and tear, but I would have preferred a 5 min 4 on 4 and then 5 min 3 on 3 (they didn't ask me for some reason).

3 on 3 is going to be constant 2 on 1 "fast breaks" and should be interesting to say the least.  Hopefully it will eliminate the need for the many of the "Rock, Paper, Scissors" matches to decide the extra point.

Anywho, back to summer TV watching of the Grass Growing Channel, Paint Drying Network, and women's soccer World Cup (not a jab at women, but most definitely a jab at soccer which is another sport that has thoroughly embraced the Rock, Paper, Scissors method of determining wins while also being extremely boring to watch).

Edited by super_dave_1

. . .

Anywho, back to summer TV watching of the Grass Growing Channel, Paint Drying Network, and women's soccer World Cup (not a jab at women, but most definitely a jab at soccer which is another sport that has thoroughly embraced the Rock, Paper, Scissors method of determining wins while also being extremely boring to watch).

Well, I haven't received an entry from you in the Great 2015 NHL Draft Contest yet. 

http://fans.hurricanes.nhl.com/community/topic/22969-2015-nhl-draft-contest/

Trying to figure out how NHL teams view the 2015 prospects has to be more exciting then watching paint dry, no? ;)

Edited by LakeLivin

Well, I haven't received an entry from you in the Great 2015 NHL Draft Contest yet. 

http://fans.hurricanes.nhl.com/community/topic/22969-2015-nhl-draft-contest/

Trying to figure out how NHL teams view the 2015 prospects has to be more exciting then watching paint dry, no? ;)

Lake, I can't figure out who the Canes are going to draft, much less the rest of the league.

Besides, I'm still basking in the glow of the 2nd place finish in the playoff pickem.  I have to let somebody else have a chance at glory.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/a-radical-proposal-to-destroy-the-nhls-loser-point/

Nate Silver, the statistical wunderkind, did an analysis to support playing OT hockey with no time limit (until there is a winner). He found that with 5-on-5 there's a 7.4% chance of scoring a goal per every minute of OT played.  With 4-on -4 it goes up to 9.1%.  But with 3-on-3 it leaps to 16.8%.  With unlimited 3-on-3 play, about 60% of OT games would be resolved within the 1st 5 minutes, and 84% within the first 10 minutes.  The average overtime game would require just six minutes to complete, barely longer than under the current rules. With just three skaters on the ice at a time, teams could give their bench plenty of rest between shifts.

in playoff hockey (5-on-5 OT until someone wins), the average overtime game required 13.6 minutes before someone scored. Since 23 percent of playoff games went to OT, that makes the average length of a playoff game about 63 minutes, as compared to around 61 minutes during the regular season (with a 5 min 4-on-4 OT period).  That’s not much of an increase, and if the NHL were concerned about it, it could counteract it by reducing the regular season to 80 games from 82. Then you’d have no shootouts, no ties, no loser point and no overall increase in ice time. [Lake: yeah, like the owners would ever eliminate the revenue from 2 games by reducing the schedule, lol]

Lake, I can't figure out who the Canes are going to draft, much less the rest of the league.

Besides, I'm still basking in the glow of the 2nd place finish in the playoff pickem.  I have to let somebody else have a chance at glory.

Neither can I, that's why I go with The Blind Squirrel methodology when it comes to picking.  I rode it to a third place finish in the Cup Playoff contest! :P

Seeing that the Cap was set at $71.4 mil, seems to be putting some cap issue pressure on several teams, namely the Flyers, Blackhawks, Boston, Tampa, Montreal, Vancouver and LA. Wonder if RF is perusing those rosters looking for help, or is that considered crass?

Seems like after the lockout, we were all waiting for the fire sales on teams that were in cap hell.  It never happened then and I'm not all that expectant that it will be a major thing now.

Seems like after the lockout, we were all waiting for the fire sales on teams that were in cap hell.  It never happened then and I'm not all that expectant that it will be a major thing now.

Hawks have $64m tied up in only 14 signed players. That leaves only $7.4m for 9 more players ($822k each).  And non-signed players include Saad, Richards, Vermette, Kruger, Oduya.  They're gonna have to do something creative to get under the cap now that the two $10.5m contracts have kicked in . . .  

Hawks have $64m tied up in only 14 signed players. That leaves only $7.4m for 9 more players ($822k each).  And non-signed players include Saad, Richards, Vermette, Kruger, Oduya.  They're gonna have to do something creative to get under the cap now that the two $10.5m contracts have kicked in . . .  

They'll move Sharp and get some relief.  It will take some more posturing, but the players we would want will not be the ones cut loose.

They'll move Sharp and get some relief.  It will take some more posturing, but the players we would want will not be the ones cut loose.

Yeah, I agree. Some team should be able to benefit from the Hawks $$ problems, but I don't see us as being in that position at this time.

The Salary Cap has been set NHL.com

The managers learned the upper limit of the salary cap for the 2015-16 season will be $71.4 million, with the lower limit $52.8 million.

Since we don't normally spend to the salary cap I'm not sure what it will mean to us but other teams will now need to decide who they keep and who they don't and that could lead to some interesting moves.

Here is the release for the Terry signing  Canes News

As to Kjun's question the only thing I read into it is that at a one year contract it is still up to Terry to prove he is part of our future. I thought he played reasonable well last season but now needs to take the next step.

Terry is serviceable, and Peters seems to have a hankerin' for him. It's a 1 year deal that gets GMRF to the end of EStaal's and Ward's deals in a year that the Canes are probably not going to be great. A little pricey, but not overly so. Ronnie needed to start solidifying things so he knows where he stands come draft/trades/UFA (sloppy seconds of course).

At first glance I thought the number was too high, but I guess the 11 goals in 57 games isn't really league-minimum type production.

Another meh signing, but it's only a year so whatever.  Peters seems to really like him.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Yes, I agreed with you above, but as someone on Canes Country opined, this is taking on the look of the 14-15 team? I know its early, and not sure what I'd have expected up to now, also not wanting to swim in pessimism, but GMRF, please lets get started!!!

Friend telling me that Matt Belesky from Anaheim may be available?? Anyone think the Canes could work on that, or hear anything inn the rumor?

The first thought that came to my mind when I read about the Terry signing is "I wonder how negotiations with Nestrasil are coming along?"

Edited by LakeLivin