The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2015 Off-Season talk

Yes, I agreed with you above, but as someone on Canes Country opined, this is taking on the look of the 14-15 team? I know its early, and not sure what I'd have expected up to now, also not wanting to swim in pessimism, but GMRF, please lets get started!!!

Friend telling me that Matt Belesky from Anaheim may be available?? Anyone think the Canes could work on that, or hear anything inn the rumor?

Belesky is looked at as one of the top 3 free agents this year. You'll probably see him sign some ridiculous contract with some team the first day of free agency.

I'm guessing you think that will leave us out, but what range salary are we talking? And Skinner couldn't factor in there somewhere?

Edited by KJUNKANE

Of course he could be spinning, but Francis did seem to indicate that he might well stay away from the first day feeding frenzy of unrestricted free agency.

Per Chip @IceChip:

Noah Hanifin interviewed with Canes at prospects combine in Buffalo. Says has another interview with Canes before draft.

Lawson Crouse is another prospect who says he has another scheduled interview with Canes before draft.

Mitch Marner another who will again interview with Canes. Says meeting is tonight. Canes, Devils, San Jose only three interviews in FLA.

Canes GM Ron Francis say he has been fielding a lot of calls on potential trades. "We're open to discussing deals that will make us better."

Francis said it's hard to say if a major deal will be made during the draft. Added, "We're certainly looking at a lot of things."

Francis said no decision has been made on a contract buyout.

Francis said pending UFAs Pat Dwyer, Brett Bellemore and Jack Hillen will not be re-signed.

Francis say talks continue with Eric Staal, Cam Ward on contract extensions. Again says "every indication" is they want to stay with Canes.

Francis said five interviews will be held with prospects and all are scheduled tomorrow. None tonight.

Starting to get interesting.

A little surprising about Dwyer

Sure sounds like Francis is kicking the tires on trades.

Edited by remkin

Just read that Columbus GM is looking to trade down to "#5 or #6" if the right player is there, and that he has been looking to make moves/talking to other GM's "since 7:00am this morning." From what I have read in the past Columbus is very high on Hanifin but who knows...

If we did trade down I would want their first and an A-level prospect or roster player (preferably a defenseman) signed to a good contract rather than more picks.....which means it probably wouldn't happen.

Wonder what will happen with Bellemore, not sure I would have let him go but who knows what is going on behind the scenes. I guess it's one less #6/#7/borderline NHL defenseman.

Dwyer may have played his last NHL game.

Interesting about the scheduled interviews.

Still don't agree on extending Staal or Ward at this time unless it's a significant discount, I would see how they perform during the season and then sign or trade. Definitely no NTC.

Also just read that Rantanen wants to "stick" in NHL next year.

I think that Columbus makes a lot of sense as a trade partner. Classic price would be a upper second round pick, somewhere around number 38. I would imagine GM Ron Francis would try to hold out for the number 34 pick, maybe more.

Edited by remkin

I think we mess up our long term success if Han is available and we don't go with him. It's time to build a legit Elite NHL blue line. I really hope RF does not mess this up...

Terry Koshan of the Toronto Sun: There is talk that head coach Mike Babcock would like the draft a defenseman with the No. 4 pick.

Wouldn't it be something if Hanifin AND Provorov were gone by #5? 

Strome anyone?

Not suggesting it's likely, just making conversation. It could happen.

So I found this interesting for a couple of reasons. This is a re draft for 2010, Who would you pick now from the players available then?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=771540

Skinner still comes in at #6. But Faulk comes in at #9. That is a still a very good draft for us. Also suggests still some love and possible value for Skinner. Also #3,5 and 6 picks above us have all dropped way down.

Edited by remkin

Terry Koshan of the Toronto Sun: There is talk that head coach Mike Babcock would like the draft a defenseman with the No. 4 pick.

Wouldn't it be something if Hanifin AND Provorov were gone by #5? 

Strome anyone?

Not suggesting it's likely, just making conversation. It could happen.

Okay, so hold on a minute. :popcorn:

What happened to Marner anyone?

This is a previously unconsidered scenario. In other scenarios it has been assumed that Strome would be gone. But not if two d men go ahead of us. Then we would get to pick from Strome and Marner. Even Provorov would be gone, so unless we are really really sold on Werenski or Rantanen or Barzal (who no one on this board seems to have love for), then it would be Strome or Marner.

If it went 

Arizona: Hanifin

Toronto: Provorov

Then Strome would still be there. 

I would go Hanifin-Strome-Marner personally. 

Thus Strome would fall to us and I would take him in that scenario. 

I would be OK w/ Provorov at #5 (not my choice) if he is the brain trust's choice, but in this scenario he is gone anyway. 

At this point I'm pretty happy w/ Hanifin/Strome/Marner or Provorov. I have them in that order, but that's just little ol' me. If the brain trust sees it differently, I'm almost certainly on board.

Crouse is the guy I'm more nervous about at 5. If we trade down maybe, but I'd have to learn to like that pick. Again, just me.

Edited by remkin

Well, the original opinions on the draft pick were overwhelmingly in favor of any of Strome-Marner-Hanifin.  I think that trumps a "previously unconsidered scenario".

Your own poll has that scenario as possible, and asks that specific question, right, the last question?

Anyway, I was just interested in why you may have possibly changed your mind on Marner, given your history of posts on the guy. 

Didn't realize you were that high on Strome.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I posted that Babock was interested in the Leafs drafting defense at #4. Then it occurred to me that if the Coyotes took Hanifin, that the Leafs might take Provorov. The Coyotes taking Hanifin at 3 is in line with conventional wisdom. But the idea of the Leafs following that up with a pick of Provorov I've never read anywhere. That is the "previously unconsidered scenario" and the entire context for the Strome anyone comment. It was not considered in my poll, my poll had the trade down for a player where Provorov was the preferred player.

The poll did not consider a choice exclusively between Marner and Strome since that seemed very unlikely, and still does. This scenario is not likely, but is possible with the rise of Provorov and Babcock' supposed preference for defense. 

Personally I am pretty high on Strome, but haven't said much because over 95% of mock drafts and rankings have him gone before us. I don't post much on Eichel either, but I'd take him if he were there. I would be thrilled with Strome. As you know, I've posted many times that I would take any part of Stromarninfin and move on. 

And i am still high on Marner. Not as locked in and one note about it as some might think. Long ago I said I'd take Hanifin ahead of Marner and voted for Hanifin in my poll and posted that. Storme was not an option for reasons listed.

Anyways, my post was about the fairly novel idea of Hannifin and Provorov going ahead of us. That was the main point of it. 

If that happened who would you take? 

Edited by remkin

I posted that Babock was interested in the Leafs drafting defense at #4. Then it occurred to me that if the Coyotes took Hanifin, that the Leafs might take Provorov. The Coyotes taking Hanifin at 3 is in line with conventional wisdom. But the idea of the Leafs following that up with a pick of Provorov I've never read anywhere. That is the "previously unconsidered scenario" and the entire context for the Strome anyone comment. It was not considered in my poll, my poll had the trade down for a player where Provorov was the preferred player.

The poll did not consider a choice exclusively between Marner and Strome since that seemed very unlikely, and still does. This scenario is not likely, but is possible with the rise of Provorov and Babcock' supposed preference for defense. 

Personally I am pretty high on Strome, but haven't said much because over 95% of mock drafts and rankings have him gone before us. I don't post much on Eichel either, but I'd take him if he were there. I would be thrilled with Strome. As you know, I've posted many times that I would take any part of Stromarninfin and move on. 

And i am still high on Marner. Not as locked in and one note about it as some might think. Long ago I said I'd take Hanifin ahead of Marner and voted for Hanifin in my poll and posted that. Storme was not an option for reasons listed.

Anyways, my post was about the fairly novel idea of Hannifin and Provorov going ahead of us. That was the main point of it. 

OK, it won't let me quote.  If both top Dmen are gone, take Marner.  2nd only to McDavid in PPG in draft year(a decent potential predictor), and we need help everywhere.

[quote name="remkin" post="418643" timestamp="1435284

Ratanen all day long!! Still concerned with Marner's "slightest" in our team's composition.

Again, I was just interested in why you changed your choice from Marner to Strome since you spent so much time playing up Marner as the best thing since sliced bread and a no-brainer pick if he was available.