The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2015 Off-Season talk

Again, I was just interested in why you changed your choice from Marner to Strome since you spent so much time playing up Marner as the best thing since sliced bread and a no-brainer pick if he was available.

The thing of it is I haven't changed. Not that i'm above changing, but if you go to the draft thread and read back you'll see what happened. i have advocated for Marner the most because Strome was thought to be gone by #5 and because people kept debating the size issue, so I gave my opinion on it, and people kept arguing it. Sure I kept adding reasons why Marner is a worthy choice and kept it going, but it was not in a vacuum.

Anyway my rank order of Hannifin-Strome-Marner is right there in the draft thread. 

There are numerous posts where I mention taking Hanifin Strome or Marner above all others. 

But the first time I mention order is in post 375: "Take Hanifin or Strome if they fall. Otherwise take Marner."

Then in post 437 I put this: "So I take Hanifin, then Strome, then Marner at #5 and smile a big smile. That's what I do."

But today is draft day. Time to focus on what actually goes down.

Edited by remkin

Oh! You're just messing with me!  :poke: OK.  :P .  

Funny though, reading way too many mock drafts and pieces on this draft and scouting reports etc, there is almost no mention of us actually picking Strome outside of a couple of mock drafts. 

Hey it's solidarity time now. Are we not Caniacs?!

In Ron I Trust anyway. 

Plus we both want Hanifin, so lets hope against hope that he drops to us.

Yeah, just having a little fun since you fell for it so easily.   :grin:    It took me a couple of posts to set you up for that last one, ha ha.  No foul intended.

Can't wait for tonight, and let's hope the hockey gods don't pull another Seth Jones on us!

Edited by coastal_caniac

Plus we both want Hanifin, so lets hope against hope that he drops to us.

In the draft contest, i sent Lake my prediction of Hanifin going 3rd.  Reason being even though it makes perfect sense for him to still be available at 5, things tend to not go the Hurricanes way at draft night.

In the draft contest, i sent Lake my prediction of Hanifin going 3rd.  Reason being even though it makes perfect sense for him to still be available at 5, things tend to not go the Hurricanes way at draft night.

To me that makes about as much sense as anything else when it comes to these contests.  What's the line from the song?

And if I claim to be a wise man, well

It surely means that I don't know

:lol:

Reaction from our newest Canes

Eddie Lack @eddielack 5h5 hours ago

I want to thank @VanCanucks for the past 5 years! Everyone in and around the team are first class and I've made friends for life

With that being said I'm very happy the @NHLCanes showed interest in me and I'm really excited for the upcoming season

Chip Alexander @ice_chip 1h1 hour ago

Just talked to James Wisniewski about the trade to Canes. "I'm speechless. I'm so excited. I wish the season was starting next week."

Anybody else think Ward won't be extended with the Lack signing?

With Lack coming on for 2 years, I have to think that GMRF won't extend Ward now.  No reason to not evaluate both goalies this year and see where it goes.   They also need to see what the prospects in Charlotte do. 

I'm honestly ready to move on from "the core".

Reaction from our newest Canes

Twitter is great... but, what do we expect from these guys?  "Oh man, I'm going to the land of vinegar BBQ.  This stinks!"

Of course not.  I only follow twitter a little because the public persona of most high profile figures is... well... managed.

With the signing of Lack and the departure of Dobby...I have to think that Staal and Ward know there is a new sheriff in town and that perhaps their days are numbered.. If Cam could be moved for a nice offensive piece in return, now may be the prime time to do it. and if not..Id be more excited for the up coming season with Bill Peters and a bench full of YUTES ,than the same ole core.....so far RF has looked good as the GM...

GMRF still wants to get Staal and Ward re-signed. Sounds like he believes they will sign for close to what he wanted.

The step away comment sounds like we didnt get the deals to make the team better. We may move guys later unless someone comes in with a strong deal after the 1st round of Free agent signings

One thing we probable should keep in mind is the goalie issue is far from resolved. Moving Dobby in my opinion sent a signal to Ward that he is still the guy. Two seasons ago Dobby was all but anointed as Cams successor.  Now that distraction has been removed. Signing Lack a capable backup that should be able to push and maybe challenge Ward for the starters crease is a signal the team will not sit ideally by and pin all our hopes on one player.

Lack and Ward are both UFA at the end of next season. We still need to decide if Ward is in the plan moving forward. I suspect he is if a reasonable contract can be reached.

Ward: Two years , 4 million per, eliminate the NTC. 

Staal: Two years,  5 million per, eliminate the NTC, team option for third year.

We can hope the the performance level of both will improve enough so that the fans will no longer feel that we've been ripped off for the last 6 years.

Ward: Two years , 4 million per, eliminate the NTC. 

Staal: Two years,  5 million per, eliminate the NTC, team option for third year.

We can hope the the performance level of both will improve enough so that the fans will no longer feel that we've been ripped off for the last 6 years.

I can't imagine RF will offer E less than J.  For the moment you still have Sasha making 7 and ward 6.8. If we re-sign E we are asking him to help rebuild a team while probable committing the rest of his NHL career to our team. My guess is $7 million.

I'm not saying we should do this but I can't imagine low balling E as much as $5 million.

Francis didn't create the 7 mil and 6 mil Jordan/Semin contracts so I think Eric would need to keep that in mind that those overpayment days are over.

In my mind 7 mil should get us 80+ points in terms of a forward. He hasn't gotten out of the 70s in 7 years and the past 2 he hasn't gotten out of the 60's. He's getting older and his numbers are going down.

If what's been said is true then Eric as the guy who wants to be the Captain to turn this team around should take note this team's already stuffed his pockets flush with cash and that taking a 5 mil deal leaves 2 mil to improve other places on this team. Eric owes the Canes a hometown discount more then any other player whose been asked to do so in the past 10 years. If he wants to walk on that I think almost everyone is fine with that at this point. If he wants to do the first thing right as Captain he'd give the team a discount to work money in other areas.

7 mil is not fine with me, he can pack it up and go on at 7 mil.

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by legend-1

I'd most certainly move away from Cam Ward.

If Eric doesn't buy into the home town discount, he can traded at the deadline.

It's time to start paying players to their level of performance, not like sons.

I'd most certainly move away from Cam Ward.

If Eric doesn't buy into the home town discount, he can traded at the deadline.

It's time to start paying players to their level of performance, not like sons.

This is what I was going to say. Ward hasn't even played like a 4 million dollar goalie over the course of his contract, much less a 6.3 million dollar goalie. People talk about him here as if we rode him and he is a broken down horse. Why would we re-sign him when we can finally be free of that contract? If we want to have him compete with Lack then fine, see where things go, but NO WAY do I sign him before he out-performs Lack. Even then I would be leery and it would be short-term, no NTC, and significantly less money.

As far as Staal, he's been paid enough. He can take a home-town discount or be traded as Coastal said. Even if he plays well this season it doesn't make up for all of the ho-hum performances over recent years while being one of the highest paid players in the NHL.

Like I said months ago, what does that say about him if he comes out motivated during a contract year when we have witnessed so much indifference in the past? He's in a no-win situation with the fans (or at least this fan), but his declining production and lack of passion/leadership put him there.

As I just stated in another thread, how these two are handled will tell me if things are really going to be different in the future, or if it will be more of the same.

Edited by Kyrule

All good points and the Ward and perhaps the Sasha contracts should be worked out by the time the season ends next year if not sooner.

I still think a $5 mil per for E is too low if your serious about keeping him. Maybe something in the 6+ range. Of course we don't know what E is thinking. Maybe he will be open to a short term deal so both he and the team can figure it out. I don't know. The NTC could be an issue.

He is making 9.5 a year so I'm having trouble figuring out just what a hometown discount would be. 4.5 mil a year discount is a pretty big ask.

I'm ok if we move on but it is Francis and Staal saying he wants to stay and RF is trying to work out a contract

E doesn't have to accept a trade off-season, in-season or after season before July. He might but he doesn't have to.

If they try to low ball Eric, with the thought of trading him at the deadline if he doesn't sign, he still has a ntc. He can pull a Whitney, and walk for nothing after the season. I think they either pay him, or look to trade him now.

Id rather see him walk for nothing, than agree to pay him a dime over 4 mil for the next 3 yrs...(what have ya done for me lately)...if he walks for nothing, not sure other teams would see his value above 3-4 mil... Cam is a good goalie, but not worth 6 mil and on the Canes budget that money could be better spent...IMO

I just had my say about Eric but no way does he take less than 6 million per year. I'm doubtful he takes less than 7.

...even though he only stands up for his brother.

Edited by Kyrule

I'm gonna defer much of an opinion on E because:

1) I don't really know what he's like in the locker room (other than he's no Rod BrindAmour)

2) I don't know to what extent his injuries the past 2 years have effected his performance (which in turn is going to effect the Canes outlook for him going forward).

I think it's generally understood that if he's worth keeping around it will have to be with a pay cut. Beyond that, in GMRF I trust.

Similar with Ward, but my impression is that Ward will likely be easier to deal with if we do want him to stay.  I just get the impression he's a lot more humble (less proud?) than E.  Key word being "impression"; I have absolutely no inside knowledge.. 

Edited by LakeLivin