The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2015 Off-Season talk

Someone help me out here. Why not qualify Nash?

One of the many clones of interchangeable forwards the Canes have had on the roster for the last 6 or 8 years. Decent player, but doesn't do anything well. Every team can use a Nash on the team. The Canes have been dressing several a year.

Nash disappeared offensively for most of last season.  He's redundant on a team with a lot of redundant pieces.  Nesty can play his bottom six position and he's signed cheap.  Not a surprising move really.

I was surprised to see Boychuk get an offer.

I know Rask has stepped up and Nash was kind of odd man out. I guess I thought he was good enough to trade maybe, but I guess last year especially was just not good enough even for that.

I was also a bit surprised by Boychuk.

Could we be moving Lindy to center? We (the Canes) keep hinting at it. As pointed out Nash could always be signed by us as a free agent but I doubt that will happen.

Maybe the Canes weren't willing to except the arbitration ruling (i.e the salary) if things didn't go their way had their been an arbitration hearing.  I'm pretty sure they did the same thing with Tlusty.

I also doubt Nash will be resigned as a UFA, but I guess we will find out.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Maybe the Canes weren't willing to except the arbitration ruling (i.e the salary) if things didn't go their way had their been an arbitration hearing.  I'm pretty sure they did the same thing with Tlusty.

I also doubt Nash will be resigned as a UFA, but I guess we will find out.

Thats a good point and a possibility. No idea if that was were it was headed but always a possibility.

I was wondering what we would do with Boychuk. I thought we might kick him loose but I guess he fits what Francis is doing in Charlotte. Trying to add some experience to the Checkers. He certainly is a proven AHL quality player and might help set a winning culture there. Although so far he hasn't turned his AHL success into a NHL career he does have some experience at the big level and fits the definition of a depth player. He also is trade-able at the AHL level.

But even a cat eventually runs out of lives. I think this could be his last chance. I think I have said that before.

Well if we base E's new contract off Semin's, with each of Semin's goals this past season being worth $1,166,666. Eric's new deal should be...$26,833,333/year! :sarcasmalert:

[JR]Sounds good.  Want a NTC with that?[/JR]

Hey folks,

Been a while since I've posted, but one interesting non-qualifier was Jared Staal.

Finally we have a GM who's using his head and not his heart.

I was present when the three Staals in the club started the last home game together a few seasons ago and, yeah, it was cool, but we (as fans and "investors") want and need the team to win.

I hate it that his progress has not been what many have hoped, but we need the Checkers to be good so the Canes can be GOOD.

Hey folks,

Been a while since I've posted, but one interesting non-qualifier was Jared Staal.

I was present when the three Staals in the club started the last home game together a few seasons ago and, yeah, it was cool, but we (as fans and "investors") want and need the team to win.

I hate it that his progress has not been what many have hoped, but we need the Checkers to be good so the Canes can be GOOD.

Good to see you back posting on the board. As to your post..yup

We seem to have a bit of fear creeping into our discussions. Fear that player X will sign with another team and turn around his game and return to close to their former excellence. Fear that the new contract offer will somehow offend or insult the player. We all get emotionally tied to certain players, just human nature. But the cold hard facts are that bit all comes down to business. Every team has had players leave and either continue their  level of play long after it was thought they were at the end of their career, or turn the corner and reinvigorate their play to return to former level. It happens, need to get over it. As far as money goes, there are a number of players whose stats a similar to player X . Those players have set the level for your players contract. Not insulted , not offended. Just reality. Do not let the emotion of " he's a good guy " , "must be good behind the scenes" . " he has played for us for so long " lead to paying too much. Some one whose numbers are declining over a number of seasons. cut them loose, take the beating and move on. As far as the NTC , no one under age 32 or 33 and for someone who has shown consistency in play and a true interest in the team and the community. Basically someone who wants to stay involved.

Amen to this.

If you have been a fan for a long time you have probably seen one of your favorite players discarded with little fanfare, whether it be a failure to re-sign, lowball offers, trades.

Then there have been the anointed ones, that seem to get special treatment.  Some are gone now.  I'm a believer in earning the special treatment.  Right now, there isn't a single rostered player on this team that has earned special treatment.  At best, we have a few guys that we are happy to keep with a reasonable offer.

We have not gotten anything back for the special treatment.  Perhaps, as has already been said, the players involved will recognize this and give a little back. It has been known to happen upon occasion on other teams.  

However, I am not holding my breath. 

It's good to be back. Thanks, OBXer.

I had decided to not join the negative tone this and a few other boards had developed over the past few seasons because I am the eternal optimist. That's not saying the tone wasn't warranted, it's just that I was trying to legitimize to myself staying on as a mini-plan STH, etc. It is always exciting to be a hockey fan this time of year. Lots of moving and shaking, with speculation running rampant.

Just a few thoughts to share before I have to go cook dinner for the kiddos:

I am glad to have Bill Peters as our coach. It was good to see his hammer work at times.

I am glad to see GMRF stir the pot a little. Hopefully it will boil with some wins this season.

I don't usually comment on players, but I will stick my neck out on this: Victor Rask will be an NHL star. Even on games last season when the Canes stunk it up, he has some skills that impress me. I'm no expert but I've watched enough to tell newbies to watch him and say, "This guy's gonna be good. Hopefully for our team!"

Could we be moving Lindy to center? We (the Canes) keep hinting at it. As pointed out Nash could always be signed by us as a free agent but I doubt that will happen.

Skinner to the Pens rumors...Sutter and hopefully someone who will put it in the net? Nesty can play center too.

It's good to be back. Thanks, OBXer.

I had decided to not join the negative tone this and a few other boards had developed over the past few seasons because I am the eternal optimist. That's not saying the tone wasn't warranted, it's just that I was trying to legitimize to myself staying on as a mini-plan STH, etc. It is always exciting to be a hockey fan this time of year. Lots of moving and shaking, with speculation running rampant.

Just a few thoughts to share before I have to go cook dinner for the kiddos:

I am glad to have Bill Peters as our coach. It was good to see his hammer work at times.

I am glad to see GMRF stir the pot a little. Hopefully it will boil with some wins this season.

I don't usually comment on players, but I will stick my neck out on this: Victor Rask will be an NHL star. Even on games last season when the Canes stunk it up, he has some skills that impress me. I'm no expert but I've watched enough to tell newbies to watch him and say, "This guy's gonna be good. Hopefully for our team!"

Some guy called in to XM yesterday and said that even though he was a season tick holder from '97, he let it lapse ... until Sunday, when he re-upped.  

There is this faint glint of dawn.  Let's hope the clouds don't come and rain down on us.

BTW regarding Rask.  I didn't realize this, but Lack and Rask are buddies, even spending the summer training together.  That's kind of cool.

Edited by wxray1

Hey folks,

Welcome back pepcane.

Agree.  That 3 Staals was cool for what, 3 minutes?  Now imaging coolness for 3 years, 3 cups.  (Cough, Blackhawks)

RF is a cool cookie.  The only way to be a GM is to that way.  Be your personable self and human being when you are outside the job.  Inside the job, you have to be an emotionless, logical, hard nosed business person.  That doesn't mean there is no room for emotional consideration.   But it has to have limits. 

A brief reflection on a few things-- 1st, guess Free Agency is set to begin tomorrow, and from all indications, surprise, surprise, we'll not be early participants. This fact doesn't upset me too much, as not a fan of feeding frenzies or insanely inflated prices. Seeing that Nash's contract was not renewed, and I am saddened by that even though I recognize his redundancy, I'm wondering if anyone on here has eyes on players from other teams who might be in similar situations? These are not the "high profile" well publicized ones on the market, but some "needing new homes/starts". Just curious.

Next, and with regards to my thoughts on Nash, I am completely befuddled on requalification of Boychuk. Why? Surely Nash would be better, even at the AHL level where Boychuk seems to have solidified his role. Oh well, IRWT(short for In Ron We Trust).

Next, as to the escalating talks on trading Skinner. I am and have been fine with this, particularly if we can get someone of equal value, and who "fits" better into Peters' system.

Finally, I've said and repeat that I was elated with all facets of the draft, from the players taken to those traded for and those traded. I now understand that new numbers have been assigned to at least Hanifin and Lack!! Great, I'll order a Hanifin jersey ASAP.

Of the D that will be FA this year, who would y'all WANT and who do you see us possibly signing? Could be the same or two different answers.

There are some interesting names:

Oduya

Mike Green

Cody Franson

Sekera even haha

Side question, any chance of a Justin Williams return you think?...

I was on board for Mike Green, but with The Wiz on board now, we don't need another high salary right-handed dman.   They are probably close as far as talent wise.  Wouldn't be opposed to Oduya, as I feel Franson may cost too much.  Sekera would be the ideal choice, but he may be out of our price range.  Meszaros might be another name to look out for.

As far as forwards, I doubt Justin Williams would come back here, but i would not be opposed to it.

I know it may be of poor taste to swoop in on other people's territory, but I wouldn't be opposed to RF throwing an offer sheet at Brandon Saad.  He's only 22, fantastic top line forward, and Chicago's a little hard up for cash.

some thoughts on Nash and Boychuk:

Nash: I'm guessing that not extending him a qualifying offer may be in part to "administrative" issues rather than automatically meaning we definitively want to cut him loose.  A qualifying offer for a player making less than $1m has to be 110% of last year's salary. I believe Nash's contract was for $600k; maybe the Canes aren't interested in him at $660k but might be for less? 

Boychuk: his contract was for $600 but he was on a 2-way and spent much of the season in Charlotte. His cap hit for last year is showing as $284k so I'm guessing that's close to what he actually made. Sounds to me like we could offer Boychuk the minimum (or at least no raise) as a qualifying offer.  Chex promised McIntyre they'd have some experience on the team when he re=signed. Boychuk is AHL all-star, I can see why it makes sense to keep him in Charlotte (if he's willing to assume that role) even if we don't see him as being a likely Cane contributor at this point.        

Two questions if anyone knows:

1. The rules are 110% of salary.  Am I right in assuming that's actual salary and not the NHL contract figure?
  2. Any idea of how 2-way contracts play into a qualifying offer?  We had Boychuk on a 2-way, I think Nash was on a 1-way. I wonder if that status impacts the type of offer that counts as qualifying.  E.g., would a 2-way offer to Nash have counted as qualifying?  I know we can make him a 2-way offer once he becomes a UFA.

Edit: just found this: http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2013/6/21/4436012/getting-to-know-the-cba-episode-3-free-agency

Also, if a player has played 180 or more NHL games over the last three seasons, 60 games last season, and didn't clear waivers all season, the QO has to be one-way. (This was pro-rated to 156 games in 3 seasons and 36 games this season to account for the lockout)

So it sounds like we couldn't make Nash a qualifying 2-way offer. Given his limitations/ role, I can see GMRF not wanting to paint us into a corner with Nash on another 1-way contract.  It will be interesting to see if we negotiate with him once he becomes a UFA.

Edited by LakeLivin

I know it may be of poor taste to swoop in on other people's territory, but I wouldn't be opposed to RF throwing an offer sheet at Brandon Saad.  He's only 22, fantastic top line forward, and Chicago's a little hard up for cash.

Not gonna happen imo. From everything I've read, re-signing Saad is one of the Hawks top priorities.  Part of the reason they're forced to try to dump Sharp and his salary.

Edited by LakeLivin

Semin on buyout waivers...it's getting very real here boys and girls. GMRF is not messing around. We have a lot of spaces to fill but so far, you have to love the plan.