The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2015 Off-Season talk

I don't love this plan.  Especially now that Terry and Gerbe are our best 2 wingers.  That's scary because both are fringe NHL players.  You are not going to replace the potential scoring via free agency.  At this point you might as well spend the saving on a solid d man and hope to win with a stingy defense and an all around defensive team game.  At this point, that's the only way.  Let me guess, we're now going to re-sign Erik Cole.

I think we make a play for Williams. Also wondering about Ehroff as well. Lefty shot and was still logging 20 min/game in Pittsburgh. Lindholm and Nestrasil are a far bit better than either Terry or Gerbe and Skinner is still on the team and he will get very good return if there is a trade. The team is building for the future and gettining rid of Semin's salary is a huge step forward.

The Semin situation is a very gray area.  I lean towards BD58's side, as I would give him another year here, but I understand why RF is doing what he's doing.  We do need a consistent offensive player to replace him.

I think E Cole is going to retire due to health issues. Even if he wants to play, too much risk to count on him at this age, BD 58, yes we are one player thinner at wing w/o out Semin, but I think our centers at this point are J Staal, Rask, Nestrasil and McClement. That makes E Staal, Skinner and Lindholm wingers. Still some work to do, but I don't think by any stretch Terry and Gerbe are our top 2 wingers.

Funny I started on the Semin board since to me that's a huge move. Over there I brought up Williams only to find a couple of you bringing it up here. I don't know if he has any interest, but I'd be on board with that in a second. He is only 33 and still puts up numbers an very solid advanced stats. He plays hard every shift including digging in the corners. Put him w/ the Staals and you have a legit top line.

Swapping him for Semin? Which would be close post buy out if JW would sign for $4.5 mill range? Are you kidding me?

If the guys who are capable of it bounce back (Skinner, Staal x 2, even Gerbe to a lesser degree) and the guys I fully expect to take big steps up (Lindy/Rask) do that, and we add Williams? Night and day from last year.

Edited by remkin

Now you're talking bd58. I've been not so secretly wishing that for several years. He could also give Staal a run for his money as to being a better captain??

Chicago won't be giving him up for free, though. Not sure I'd want to give up picks/prospects instead of picking up a temporary option in free agency.

I believe he is a UFA? That means we'd not have to give Chicago anything, but I may be wrong

Nope, I stand corrected, Sharp still has 2 yrs remaining on his contract, but I knew there was some reason I thought he might be available. Chicago is really up against a crunch, so probably will have to take less for a 33 year old player. Some on their site are bemoaning the fact that he wasn't traded at the deadline, suggesting he may go for much less. Sorry about the misinformation.

Edited by KJUNKANE

There has been so much speculation on Sharp being traded that it has been treated as a forgone conclusion, almost like an UFA.

He's a righty shot so could fit in...All Thunder Bay line Sharp, Staal, Staal

No, No and He double L NO!  The guy floated around for a chunk of the year, including the Playoffs.  With so much venom around here about JR there is a strange propensity to do or think like the past.  Oh, let's bring in someone who can play with Eric....great Semin seems to fit, give him 7 years.  ...and there was Cole, and bring in lil Bro and other Bro, too.

I pray that RF breaks the mold.  Heck if it means trade Eric to stop this never ending search for his right partner, then do that instead.

/Rant over.

Sharp is 33 and had a really down year. We don't know if that was just a blip or if he's started to decline due to his age. Plus he's only got 2 years left on his contract after which he's a UFA (and we know what that means to an organization like the Canes). Our potential lies a couple of years out.  Imo it would border on the irresponsible to give up young talent or draft picks now (and that's what Chicago wants as they're needing to dump salary) for a player that may 1) only be here for 2 years during which we may not be espedcially competitive and 2) may not be able to deliver near what he has in the past.

I'd hate to see us allocate valuable future resources if it's a matter of "buying high".with Sharp at this point.   I'd much rather go after someone like Saad, but I'd bet the only way he's going anywhere is if someone is willing to pay Chicago a super premium in return.

Edited by LakeLivin

Agree about recent posts on Sharp.

Like many, I really wanted him here.  But this year something went wrong.  We've seen this story before.  And there's no need to build out Chicago's future by trading back young talent.

No to Sharp -- unless you can toss garbage back at Chicago.

They wouldn't have made the trade if the deal wasn't done..or at least close.

Granted, GM says he's committed to getting it done.  Heck if they pay him his ask of $6.5MM he'd ask "where do I sign?"

"The Blue Jackets have until noon on Wednesday to work out a new contract with Saad, or else he will be subjected to offer sheets from the 29 other clubs. It is unclear whether Kekalainen was given permission to negotiate with Saad’s agent, Lewis Gross, prior to closing the deal."

I've got to believe they've got an agreement at least in principle.  They'd be giving Saad way too much power in the negotiation if they didn't. 

Edited by LakeLivin