The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2015 Off-Season talk

Some Tweets from the presser

Mike Maniscalco @mikemaniscalco  ·  10m 10 minutes ago

Francis said the #Canes have to improve the blue line. Peters points to there is a lot that could be coming from juniors and the minors.

Francis doesn't expect any changes to the coaching staff for next season

Francis on future of Alex Semin with the #Canes "We'll explore all the options." Peters noted wrist surgery in the off-season slowed him.

Peters on Eric Staal. "He was an excellent captain. He played through a broken foot...the room never got toxic."

Chip Alexander @ice_chip  ·  44s 45 seconds ago

Francis on Eric Staal, who will enter final year of contract, said Eric "wants to be part of solution" and help team get back in playoffs.

More Tweets

Michael Smith @MSmithCanes  ·  4m 4 minutes ago

Francis on E. Staal's contract: "We'll have discussions going forward on that situation." Added that Staal wants to be part of solution.

Peters said E. Staal did "an excellent job" as captain. Said room never got toxic. Credited Staal for playing through foot injury early.

Peters on E. Staal: "Passionate guy. Proud man. Provided good leadership for us this year."

Tweet...tweet..tweet

Chip Alexander @ice_chip  ·  9s 9 seconds ago

Francis says budget for next year not yet set. Will meet soon with Peter Karmanos and look at "all angles" and ways to get problems fixed.

Michael Smith @MSmithCanes  ·  3m 3 minutes ago

Peters called Justin Faulk's progression in his career "a rocket ship."

Mike Maniscalco @mikemaniscalco  ·  7m 7 minutes ago

Francis says that they will look at every possibility to improve this team by trading up or back or using picks to acquire NHL players.

Chip Alexander @ice_chip  ·  12m 12 minutes ago

Francis says Eric Staal has indicated to him that he would like to remain with Canes beyond next year. Talks should begin soon.

Don't forget to get your picks in for the Stanley Cup Contest HERE

There could be a biscuit in your future

summary:

dirty areas guys too weak and slow need good offseason no coaching moves both goalies good cam better E should score more great leader played w/broken foot impressed by Rask Lindholm Murphy Faulk #1 dman eventually no budget talk all ways to fix team on table training camp will flush out best 12 F 6 D and goalie and that's that.

summary:

dirty areas guys too weak and slow need good offseason no coaching moves both goalies good cam better E should score more great leader played w/broken foot impressed by Rask Lindholm Murphy Faulk #1 dman eventually no budget talk all ways to fix team on table training camp will flush out best 12 F 6 D and goalie and that's that.

Exactly right. Who needs Reader's Digest? :)

The only things I'd add: we're in the market for playoff-experienced D and maybe a forward over the summer, United States Thanksgiving is the date that matters most, if we're not in a playoff position then we're not likely to be, but we don't want one year back to the dance and the next four not, thus we remain committed to building depth with picks, trades, and all means available.

Shorter: WE STILL LIKE OUR GROUP, mostly.

No comments on "Mr. Minus", I mean "Mr. Skinner?"

He was -24 and out-scored by Victor Rask (rookie) while making almost 6 million per year. Being -24 with 31 points is a disaster so I'm curious if this was addressed.

I wasn't "impressed" with Murphy.

I think we'll need to add at least 2 defensemen through free-agency or via trade, hopefully 3. We need a #2, #3, and #4 defensemen to make this group look like an NHL D-corps. Doubt it will happen. I think Hainsey is over-slotted as a second pairing guy (on a competitive team), and he's supposed to be our second "best" defenseman. He's also getting long-in-the-tooth. He may be able to be a #4 guy with a really good partner. The rest of our defense outside of Faulk are borderline NHLers or AHLers.

The development of Fleury is really going to be important to this organization, but he may be another year or two away.

Edited by Kyrule

Listening to that press conference, the only thing I know for sure that Francis seems fully committed to is finding a veteran defenseman or two.

That does not mean that is all I think he will do. Just, as expected, not tipping his hand.

One thing that we keep hearing is that we need forwards who will go to the net. So I expect Francis to find a forward, ideally a UFA who has proven he will do that. That BTW is not Semin or Skinner....

I thought I basically heard Semin is getting too old to have a lame offseason and play slow. I don't know if they'll buy him out, but how they'd love to be rid of him.

Krule, do agree would have liked a question about Skinner.

Outside of that....Peters seems to like E as Captain. Francis will do whatever is needed in "trades or UFA". OK. I guess we'll see.

In the end this off-season will be about actions more than words. We await some actions.

Edited by remkin

I wasn't "impressed" with Murphy.

I think we'll need to add at least 2 defensemen through free-agency or via trade, hopefully 3. We need a #2, #3, and #4 defensemen to make this group look like an NHL D-corps. Doubt it will happen. I think Hainsey is over-slotted as a second pairing guy (on a competitive team), and he's supposed to be our second "best" defenseman. He's also getting long-in-the-tooth. He may be able to be a #4 guy with a really good partner. The rest of our defense outside of Faulk are borderline NHLers or AHLers.

The development of Fleury is really going to be important to this organization, but he may be another year or two away.

This is exactly how I feel about our D, we have one top pairing Dman, no second pairing level guys and some guys borderline 5/6 or AHL.  I think Hainsey does a great job of barely getting by on whatever is asked of him, but speed-wise he looks like if he loses just a smidge more of speed he is done for... he is getting by on smarts and guile and grit.  He would be OK on a 5/6.  We traded away anyone who could fill 2/3/4.  So there's the rub.

No comments on "Mr. Minus", I mean "Mr. Skinner?"

Just more hard hitting comprehensive questions from our local media....

Listening to that press conference, the only thing I know for sure that Francis seems fully committed to is finding a veteran defenseman or two.

That does not mean that is all I think he will do. Just, as expected, not tipping his hand.

One thing that we keep hearing is that we need forwards who will go to the net. So I expect Francis to find a forward, ideally a UFA who has proven he will do that. That BTW is not Semin or Skinner....

I thought I basically heard Semin is getting too old to have a lame offseason and play slow. I don't know if they'll buy him out, but how they'd love to be rid of him.

Krule, do agree would have liked a question about Skinner.

Outside of that....Peters seems to like E as Captain. Francis will do whatever is needed in "trades or UFA". OK. I guess we'll see.

In the end this off-season will be about actions more than words. We await some actions.

I don't expect lots of roster moves, unfortunately. Peters talked about the need to get "back" a Sekera-type Dman. I found it interesting that he used that word; it seemed somewhat Freudian, and given Sekera's late-season injury I'm wondering if he might be back - or if maybe we get a Pitkanen surprise. He also called out Timmy by name.

Beyond the acknowledgement that our back end needs help, Peters emphasized everybody "having a good summer" and American Thanksgiving as his make-or-break date for playoff contention, indicating (to me) that we're pretty much sticking with what we have going into next year to see whether this group, healthy from Day One, can get us there. That conclusion is supported by both men's insistence (paraphrasing, and merging quotes from both) that "Once everybody was healthy we were competitive in all but a handful of games, and especially in our own building." (That last part is BS, but if that's how they want to milk it, it's their cow.)

Both men were very clear: They are okay with us being competitive nightly while they build organizational depth. (I have to say, though, the bit about the building being much emptier due to not giving away tickets like they used to rang hollow to me; I think the sales department has done its job on Ronnie.) 

RF said talks will begin over the summer with Eric, indicating to me that he'll be extended unless he is just asking too much, or they get an offer they simply can't refuse. 

The overall message (to me) was, "We know what we've got, and when what we've got is healthy, it can be very good. Our problems are lack of scoring and lack of depth. The first problem is league-wide [lower individual point production; BP cited Benn's numbers in winning the Art Ross], and while we have to get better offensively, that's a system issue, because we're not scoring goals on deflections, redirects, etc. That is how goals are scored in this league, so that will be a focus in camp. But the second problem is our MAIN focus, building organizational depth so that when a player goes down we have one who can step in. We know where we're going, but it won't happen overnight." 

I do think Cam is definitely back; BP absolutely gushed about his puck-handling ability, and there's no disputing that's a weakness for Khudo. On a team with a weak back end, an adventuresome goalie is a liability, and I think they want to get Khudo another year (at least) of not-number-one experience so he can make better decisions about when to leave the crease. 

Edited by top-shelf-1

There is some truth to the ticket thing.  Last year you could buy tickets on StubHub to any weeknight game for as little as $2.  They were dumping tickets on the secondary market.  That dried up this year.  If they stopped that, I'm sure they stopped "comping" a lot of tickets.  It was a sore issue amongst a lot of STH's.  How are you going to convince someone to be a STH when you can buy much cheaper tickets on the secondary market?  The only way to change that is to dry that source up by stopping the give aways and ultra deep discounts.

I've never understood why stadiums embrace StubHub and slap their logo all over the place in some buildings. You'd think teams would want to sell as many first hand tickets as possible and not make even more fans aware a cheaper place exists.

I've never understood why stadiums embrace StubHub and slap their logo all over the place in some buildings. You'd think teams would want to sell as many first hand tickets as possible and not make even more fans aware a cheaper place exists.

Because there is no stopping them in today's world.  Can't fight it anymore.

Because there is no stopping them in today's world.  Can't fight it anymore.

Plus in the "right" markets the prices are anything but cheaper. I entertained a Twin Cities client a few years ago with tickets to a Wild game, a couple rows back from the glass, and my company paid plenty for the tickets - thru StubHub.

Edited by top-shelf-1