The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2015 Off-Season talk

These pressers are always a casting of bones and letting us try to read them. There is so much GM speak, and vagueness, that one never really knows what is going to happen. JR kept talking about getting grittier, but never really did. Owners talk up their GMs then can them moments later. That's why I pointed out the defense thing. I mean it is pretty obvious, and Peters mentioned that after losing Sekera and Gleason and Hillen, and others, we were playing kids back there and playing them with each other, and the NHL has a way of not letting you get away with that. Makes me think of the year we had both goalies down and a half AHL defense. That did not go well.

But what we don't know is how Francis will be able to do it until he does it. Like Legend says, we don't just need a body, we need a guy who can play. I for one (surprise to no one, I'm sure) would be happy to get Sekera back. I've always loved the idea of snagging someone's first rounder and prospect for a rental, then getting that guy right back. What a sweet move. But have to wonder since we couldn't get it done this year.

On perhaps the most central issue: the captain. Most of the tea leafs did seem to spell out: "he's staying, now and forever". Peters went out of his way to complement E. Francis said that he would be having "discussions surrounding those issues" regarding E's extension.

The one theme of most coaches is the "dirty areas" theme. Going to the net basically. All of our coaches have always said it. But what do we do to actually accomplish that? The reporters needed to re ask that question, the answers are so vague. Still, no clear cut answer, except, "we'll do what we have to to address that issue". OK. So, wait and see, which is the basic truth anyway.

This is part of why Skinner's goals are down. E goes there some. I think if Francis is going to pick up a UFA, he has to focus on the best dman he can buy. But if he does add a forward, as I've mentioned above, get at least one guy with grit who goes to the dirty areas, because I just don't see our current crew changing that.

In that theme, Semin and Skinner are really the ones that stand out the most as not gritty or front of the net guys.

I tend to think that if Peters could waive the wand and be rid of two guys and have decent replacements he would pick those two.

Francis did mention that he would make trades if that was needed. The problem of course is, as always, return. What would Skinner fetch after that year? Who knows? Semin? Nothing. Unless someone is willing to look at Skinner as a huge talent, super young with massive upside, we will not get a good return on him right now.

Anyway, I do think the need on the blueline is so glaring that it would be GM malpractice not to really make a move there. After that? Only time will tell.

First, win the lottery: 2 days!

Edited by remkin

I have been thinking about yesterdays presser and what I came away with is that Francis will try to do what he needs to make the team competitive next season. Yet I had a lingering feeling that he is not out in front of the curve. That isn't a slam on Francis but more the realization that some "bad" contracts and uncertain budget are still driving the Hurricane train.

I was encouraged that he will explore all options including draft day deals to accomplish what he perceives as our immediate and future needs. There are a lot of areas that need to be addressed including the Blue line, Staal and Wards expiring contracts and the always question of what to do about Sasha.

They may look like separate issues but I expect any one outcome may effect the other move, For instance both Peters and Francis seem comfortable with E as a leader and player moving forward but first Francis must determine what E expects and what the team can commit in money moving forward. If they can't reach an agreement then Francis is faced with trying to move E and replacing him. If they do reach a new contract Francis will be faced with fitting his new contract into a budget that could force the movement of another player.

I wish I was optimistic but instead I am cautiously watching how this all plays out.

When asked about the large number of picks we have this year, Francis essentially said he would be willing to use them anyway that served the organization best this year, including combining picks and/or trades to possibly move up if a good opportunity presented itself. I wonder if he would be willing to package a good young struggling player, like Skinner with a lower pick/picks to move back into the 1st? Not that I don't appreciate Skinners talent, or what he could do for us in the future either, just a thought. I personally think if we can't get a 2nd first, we should keep all our picks to rebuild our depth (a vital need for this team).

I just read Luke's column about Semin. As much as I hate 6 years of so called "dead" money I'm beginning to come around to Luke and others here point of view. Its time to give the boot to Sasha.

1st round pick plus Jeff Skinner for 1st overall pick in the draft.

Discuss.

Well, there is an 8.5 % chance we get the first overall pick. Failing that, I can't see anyone passing on Connor McDavid for Jeff Skinner and the 5th (or 6th) pick. I'd like to see Skinner dangled as trade bait to try and land a up and coming young defenseman.

Don't want to trade our 1st for a player at all. That's a JR move, and the reason we are were we are (no depth). I would only be ok with combining a lesser pick with a prospect or player (we see as not fitting well here) to move up in the draft, or secure us more picks. I don't think any player that some team would be willing to part with would be worth a high 1st round pick in this particular draft.

I doubt whoever gets McDavid would be willing to part with him for anything less than an extremely exorbitant price. With this draft, though, I wouldn't mind maybe pairing Skinner with one of our lower picks to get a good first round power forward. 

If we were to buy Semin out would it be wise to even consider moving Skinner? On a team that can't score goals would you be willing to give up the only pure goal scorer you have left?

Now if you keep Semin and hope he returns to form maybe you dangle Skinner but I wouldn't.

well its not all on  Skinner, why we havent made the playoffs... He neeeds to play with an edge, sometimes he did, but if he is worried about getting hit, then he shouldnt be playing hockey...

Some would argue todays NHL is played faster and with more grit than in the past... which would eliminate Semin, Skinner and E...should that be the case...

If we were to buy Semin out would it be wise to even consider moving Skinner? On a team that can't score goals would you be willing to give up the only pure goal scorer you have left?

Now if you keep Semin and hope he returns to form maybe you dangle Skinner but I wouldn't.

I hate to say it again but...

Skinner and Semin combined for 50 points and were a combined -34.

This at the cost of 12.75 million.

That is beyond brutal, it is crippling to the team.

Both have a history of injuries (Semin has only played more than 65 games three times in his career).

I wouldn't be concerned at all about losing both, but that is just my opinion and others will feel differently.

Edited by Kyrule

The Canes have yet to make the playoffs with Jeff Skinner on the team. He is.not worth what he is being paid to do.

The Canes have yet to make the playoffs selling sausage dogs.  Fire the sausage dog guy. 

If some GM had a strong hankering for Skinner and was willing to weight his talent and sniping ablility and age heavily and take a chance of the concussions and make a "hockey trade" where both sides clearly benefit, Skinner is in some ways the most tradable forward, and not just due the the Staal NTC's. And I have a feeling Francis would pull that trigger as part of putting his stamp on the team and getting Peters' type players, or fixing the defense. But, I'm not so sure the right deal will come, and handing Skinner over for return based on last year would be nuts.

I completely believe that if Skinner could have a concussion free year, he could start putting up the numbers again. He has come back from offseason stronger and better every year, but after he gets his bell rung, he drops way down. So, if we don't get a very nice offer, we keep him and hope he can stay healthy enough to really put it all together.

The Canes have yet to make the playoffs selling sausage dogs.  Fire the sausage dog guy. 

You are so right!!

Now, I think the presser went very well yesterday. Both Bill and Ronnie were straight and to the point about what we need, where their direction is headed, and what they expect from the players. Yes, the fans are disappointed in the season totals but, as I have always said, they inherited the team and contracts and are having to deal with that first. The big contracts that JR left Ronnie with is not something you can just clean up like a chalk board. It's going to take time!!

I support Ronnie and Bill completely and understand they are both new to their positions and with that comes a learning curve. The have a plan and I personally like the direction they are going in. Ronnie is looking at the business side of the equation as well and I agree giving away tickets is not fair to the season ticket holders, which I am not!! I will pay to go to certain games and I will stay home and watch either the TV or my cell phone for updates on the ones I don't attend.

Regardless, I am a Caniac, I like the system being put in place, and I will support the team and coaches still. But, like any thing we all believe in, there will be times I will disagree with parts of the puzzles but will like the overall picture!

GO CANES!!

I hear a lot about "the plan". Francis wants to build a long term winner. OK.Sounds good. What I know is that they want to draft better, and maybe be more careful w/ contracts.We have compiled some more picks and a nice prospect. So that is a good start. But what is the actual plan outside of that? What do we do with they guys we have? What UFA's can we add?

We will find out only when Francis actuall makes some moves.

Don't get me wrong. I believe that they have a plan too, just don't think we really know what it really is yet. The pressers are somewhat direct about the problems, but vey vague about the solutions. I am eager to see what actually happens. So far it hasn't been much, but that is probably reasonable. This offseason should reveal more. Actions. That will tell us.

Edited by remkin

Actions over talk.  

Us knowing RF's mind won't change anything for the positive.  I prefer he keep some of it to himself to keep a competitive advantage.  

We are all eager, but some things are best unknown.  Even if JR said: "My plan is to give long term contracts with NTCs to a group of 5 guys based on 3 week's play", there still would have been nothing we could have done about it anyway.

I agree Xray, and I am optimstic and even believe, but I do want to see more to actually see what Francis does to put his mark on this team. I think we will see a good dose of it this offseason and frankly can't wait to see it play out.

The Canes have yet to make the playoffs with Jeff Skinner on the team. He is.not worth what he is being paid to do.

I was going to point out that we haven't made the playoffs with Justin Faulk, either, but I like the sausage guy better.

On the other hand, maybe the Canes are thinking along those lines and that's the real reason Amber disappeared! Chantel may be next. :P

Edited by LakeLivin

I hear a lot about "the plan". Francis wants to build a long term winner. OK.Sounds good. What I know is that they want to draft better, and maybe be more careful w/ contracts.

My biggest problem with the whole "draft better" strategy is that wanting to draft better and actually drafting better are 2 different things.

What did we do to revamp the scouting and other draft mechanisms to make sure that we *do* draft better?  About all we have going for us is the fact that we have more top 100 picks than usual and it is harder to screw up top 100 picks.

When they actually take actions to revamp the scouting system I will believe that we will draft better.  Now all we have is hope.

There was a reason JR would trade picks for seasoned DMen.  I think he knew that we are pretty bad at projecting good DMen.  We'll see with Fleury but I have to say he is behind where I would have expected him to be so far.

In other words, if we had the Detroit scouting system or the New Jersey scouting system I would feel a lot better.

In a little more than 30 hours we will win the draft lottery.

All we need is your help.  Think positive thoughts.  Don't be discouraged by the fact that there are 100000 Buffalo fans all praying, begging, sacrificing, drinking shots, and using voodoo.  They are in Buffalo, and a little research will tell you that things just don't go well there.

We are in NC.  Good things happen here.  We win national championships.  We won a Stanley Cup in one of those hated "southern markets", and who thought that would happen so quickly?  

We are pure in heart, while we all know those tanking teams have the Hockey Gods peeved.

It is there for the taking.  All we need are positive thoughts from everyone, and it is ours.

Sure, you don't believe in this sort of supernatural crap.  But you have nothing to lose.  Hop on board the McDavid train, it leaves the station in 30 hours with a Canes flag streaming behind it.

You are late to the party, I've already seen the writing in the bat teeth and chicken bones, and have reported out to the board that this is a done deal.

Thanks for the extra help though.

What did we do to revamp the scouting and other draft mechanisms to make sure that we *do* draft better?  About all we have going for us is the fact that we have more top 100 picks than usual and it is harder to screw up top 100 picks.

When they actually take actions to revamp the scouting system I will believe that we will draft better.  Now all we have is hope.

They added Joe Nieuwendyk, Sergei Samsonov, and Greg Stefan to the scouting staff last summer, so I don't see how you can say the team has done nothing to revamp the scouting system.

Edited by coastal_caniac