The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2015 Off-Season talk

The Canes have yet to make the playoffs selling sausage dogs.  Fire the sausage dog guy. 

I think JR gave sausage dog guy a 6 year deal with a NTC, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, I thought sausage dog guy was ok this season. He's not going to "wow" you when he's out there, but he fills a role (or is it roll?).

They added Joe Nieuwendyk, Sergei Samsonov, and Greg Stefan to the scouting staff last summer, so I don't see how you can say the team has done nothing to revamp the scouting system.

It's easy for me to say that, cause I didn't pay that close attention.

That's good news.

Not sure drafting #1 is that good of a thing. Does anyone have the statistics of how well drafting #1 has done for the organizations over the years?

Sleepers are what I am hoping Ronnie is eyeing.

Big, fast, hard shooting, hard hitting sleepers!!

Those #1's usually have a big head already on their shoulders until they get hit one good time in the NHL. 

FIrst, pretty funny Caniac6. Caniac5:

Here are the number one picks since 2001:

2001    Atlanta Thrashers    Ilya Kovalchuk    
2002    Columbus Blue Jackets    Rick Nash    
2003    Pittsburgh Penguins    Marc-Andre Fleury   
2004    Washington Capitals    Alexander Ovechkin
2005    Pittsburgh Penguins    Sidney Crosby
2006    St. Louis Blues    Erik Johnson    
2007    Chicago Blackhawks    Patrick Kane
2008    Tampa Bay Lightning    Steven Stamkos    
2009    New York Islanders    John Tavares  
2010    Edmonton Oilers    Taylor Hall  
2011    Edmonton Oilers    Ryan Nugent-Hopkins   
2012    Edmonton Oilers    Nail Yakupov   
2013    Colorado Avalanche    Nathan MacKinnon
2014    Florida Panthers    Aaron Ekblad    

Really one miss, but Eric Johnson (the miss) has been a decent defenseman and is still playing. Yakupov and MacKinnon are too early to tell for sure.

But McDavid is not going to be a miss if every scout and GM in hockey has eyes. The guy simply dominates other guys who are themselves going to have nice NHL careers.

It is going to be amazing having him essentially on the team after tomorrow.

Edited by remkin

That is really interesting stuff Coastal! Great find and thanks for sharing.

I found those articles fascinating and myself binge reading them.

Edited by remkin

Exactly, so don't go to that site at work. 

One correction, I said the players write the articles but they probably do that through some kind of journalist I would imagine and then approve the content.

Edited by coastal_caniac

dinz, I went to BU, for what it's worth (it definitely cost a lot), and that would be kind of cool, and Eichel is a star, but I just can't see us passing on McDavid. The whole two horse thing just seems to have almost universally settled on McDavid by a head. Eichel ends up in Buffalo.

The Scott Gomez article is really good on that site. Insightful, candid and felt like he wasn't lying to his audience or himself about his up and down career.

Now that season is over, and some of the season end intrigue, namely the incredulous "luck" of Edmonton in yesterday's lottery, has faded(not), I'd like to throw out a thought which has really bothered me for most of the season.

Namely, our coaches, and we, as fans, have consoled ourselves during this less than spectacular year, that despite all the LOSSES, and the current spin put on this was during the recent RF/BP end of season summary, many were 1 GOAL LOSSES. In fact, RF even took that 1 step further, and got into the EMPTY NET GOALS.

My concern is that those one goal losses were not a reflection of how close we were in strength to winning a bunch of those 1 loss games, but rather that many teams sensed that when they got ahead of us, our inability to put up any type of consistent scoring threat was our own Achilles heal. Thus, in fact, all they had to do was take their foot off the petal and relax.

Therefore, what I'm really questioning is, Was this a false sense of security we fell into?

Instead of teams taking their foot off the gas, I wonder more if some of the better teams "played down" to us.  For a good part of the year the consensus was that we would challenge Buffalo and Edmonton in the McEichel sweepstakes.  How many teams went into the game thinking they had an easy win coming?  It would be interesting to see how many backup goalies we saw compared to the league average . . .

Edited by LakeLivin

Now that we've lost the lottery, it'll be interesting to see if that changes RF's stated approach re building around the Staals. Is signing Eric to an extension over the summer still important - or does Ronnie keep that in his pocket as a clear signal to E and everybody else that BP's comments about the necessity of being in the playoff mix by American Thanksgiving are not just talk?

I thought it was especially interesting that BP was the messenger on that, but regardless, the effect is that it gives the org three months (from Thanksgiving to the TD) to shop/trade/buy out roster players/pending UFAs if we don't meet that Thanksgiving deadline. Everything about that presser in terms of what happens next felt, to me, tied to the fact that we've got options at next year's TD if this group cannot/does not start fast and stay competitive right out of the gate. And I say, it's about freakin' time.

So over this summer, I'm looking at two things: (1) Do we extend Eric, and (2) do we buy out Semin. I'm hopeful the answers are "no" and "yes" respectively.

Beyond that, my expectations for the summer are not high. I think we'll make the best possible picks in this year's draft and position ourselves as well as possible for next year's; I think we'll get back a top-two dman, either through a trade or an outright purchase in free agency. And I think a strong argument can be made for the latter: If we buy out Semin, we have the cap space to become an instant contender for pretty much any UFA D-man on the market. 

Shorter: I think most of this roster has been granted a new season together with everyone healthy - until Thanksgiving. At that point, if we're not in playoff contention - AND if Eric has not yet been extended - things will (finally) get interesting. But if E is re-signed over the summer and/or Semin is back in a Canes uni, get comfortable boys and girls, because based on the experience of the past six years, we'll be going nowhere fast.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Now that we've lost the lottery, it'll be interesting to see if that changes RF's stated approach re building around the Staals. Is signing Eric to an extension over the summer still important - or does Ronnie keep that in his pocket as a clear signal to E and everybody else that BP's comments about the necessity of being in the playoff mix by American Thanksgiving are not just talk?

I thought it was especially interesting that BP was the messenger on that, but regardless, the effect is that it gives the org three months (from Thanksgiving to the TD) to shop/trade/buy out roster players/pending UFAs if we don't meet that Thanksgiving deadline. Everything about that presser in terms of what happens next felt, to me, tied to the fact that we've got options at next year's TD if this group cannot/does not start fast and stay competitive right out of the gate. And I say, it's about freakin' time.

So over this summer, I'm looking at two things: (1) Do we extend Eric, and (2) do we buy out Semin. I'm hopeful the answers are "no" and "yes" respectively.

Beyond that, my expectations for the summer are not high. I think we'll make the best possible picks in this year's draft and position ourselves as well as possible for next year's; I think we'll get back a top-two dman, either through a trade or an outright purchase in free agency. And I think a strong argument can be made for the latter: If we buy out Semin, we have the cap space to become an instant contender for pretty much any UFA D-man on the market. 

Shorter: I think most of this roster has been granted a new season together with everyone healthy - until Thanksgiving. At that point, if we're not in playoff contention - AND if Eric has not yet been extended - things will (finally) get interesting. But if E is re-signed over the summer and/or Semin is back in a Canes uni, get comfortable boys and girls, because based on the experience of the past six years, we'll be going nowhere fast.

Pretty much what I'd expect.  The real rebuilding starts after the trade deadline.

I'm not saying you guys are wrong (top and dog), but I really really wonder if this franchise can handle another year where we try the same old thing and fail. Some argued for a rebuild last year, we stuck with the "same" team that failed in the lockout year. We ended up 12 points worse with regressions from basically every forward making over $1 million/year.

We lost Sekera, and Fleury is  very likely not really ready until the following year. Semin is so bad that we will have to buy him out with nothing in return (probably, and according to Luke).

I'm not saying that the core with a key UFA defenseman and a UFA top 9 forward might not be competitive. They might. If J is healthy and E plays to his potential, and Skinner re-discovers his game and stays unconcussed, and mainly if Linholm and Rask take big steps forward...it could happen. But it hasn't happened to date, and if it doesn't happen???

The point of the American Thanksgiving date was that if you're not in it by then, you're probably toast....again. IF this team ends up out of it again with over 4 MONTHS left in the season?...empty PNC and yet another year of no playoffs. And that after making no real attempt to improve the team?

I get that last year Francis gets a pass for not really making any moves. Evaluation year. But this year is different. If he makes no material moves to get this team better, but also doesn't start the rebuild, and we are out of it in November? That is unacceptable frankly.

Whether he tries the restrucutre on the fly or goes full on rebuild, it has to happen before another failure. If he tries the restructure, he can fold it into a rebuild if we fail. If he goes full rebuild he will get the pass of a rebuild year. If he does neither, then we have to be in the playoff hunt or it will land on him.

I don't know if it is Skinner, or Ward or E, but seems to me that unless Francis has one heck of a run signing UFA's something has to change BEFORE the puck drops on the new season next year. Some significant move has to be made in addition to signing the best defensive free agent this team has ever signed before next October.

That means either home run on UFA's or trading one of Skinner, E, J, or Ward.

I may be wrong of course, but I just can't see waiving Semin and finding a veteran UFA defenseman as close to enough.

Edited by remkin

Believe both goalies are UFAs after next season.   Do the Canes work on re-signing both? Is either Cam or Anton capable of being used a trade bait?    Is anyone on the Checkers capable of making a move to the NHL?

Well as to the Checkers part, we've seen the best D men the checkers have, though I think I've heard they are high on Brett Pesce, now at UNH. The goalies are very thin and not ready short of Emergency call ups. And at forward the only name mentioned is Brock McGinn because he plays an NHL style game, and played well at the end of his first AHL year, but his scoring is not really ready yet.

McGinn seems like the poster child for not rushing guys. His second to last year in Juniors he was a very good player, and looked great in our camp, but he only scored .79 ppg in Juniors (not terrible, but not great in Juniors). Then he went back and put up 1.46 ppg the next year. This year in the AHL by my reading, he played very well, but did not score a lot: .37 ppg. Not bad, but not a pure scorer numbers. But if he follows suit to his Junior hockey developement he could go back to Charlotte and start scoring. If he has a good camp and ends up in Raleigh somehow, he may not develop that scoring touch. I would prefer him to get a bunch more AHL games and maybe some tastes of NHL next year ideally.

So, anyway, my read is that we have very little in Charlotte that is ready for prime time next year.

Edited by remkin

Just a note, Pesce turned pro a month ago and reported to Charlotte. They are also high on Carrick.  Murphy probably needs more time in Charlotte to simmer as well.  He looked lost out there most of the time, IMO.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Just read Chips and Luke's articles in the N&O today. Not much we haven't already been kicking around, except Chip wrote that odds are E and Francis reach an agreement on an extension. I assume this is speculation, but still. Also mentioned that trades to get bigger were possibilites and seemed to imply Skinner or maybe even Murphy as possible trades. Kind of passed on discussing Ward. Seemed to think that the team wouldn't move in the next few years, but after expansion in Las Vegas and Seattle (probably) if we are still not on track, Quebec could come waving cash.

And repeated Franicis' meantioning on losing Sekera and Gleason that he wants to find two similar players this offseason. This suggests that they are not feeling all that thrilled with the AHL defenseman tryouts we just had, or that anyone in the system is ready.

One main point was that this team needs to score more goals. (The best way to get elite goal scorers in our market is to draft them, "cough" Marner "cough").

Just a note, Pesce turned pro a month ago and reported to Charlotte. They are also high on Carrick. Murphy probably needs more time in Charlotte to simmer as well. He looked lost out there most of the time, IMO.

Agree on Murphy, he's not ready and I'm not sure when/if he will be. If he did report to camp last year out of shape, that's not good. I've never been a fan but who knows...

I've also read that Carrick was the best D-man in Charlotte last year.

Maybe he will be our surprise (Rask) next year.

Our defense in Charlotte should be better next year with guys like Fleury, Pesce, and McKeown. Robertson should improve. Maybe one of them will step up.

I also agree Rem, I was calling for a rebuild last year but it didn't happen. Moving forward with this "core" seems like insanity. Hoping that everyone rebounds is nothing short of blind optimism/desperation. But then, this is the bed that JR left us, and we have to lay in it unless Francis can pull off some significant moves involving our low-valued players.

I'm still hoping we move Skinner for a good return, but I'm not optimistic. I wouldn't be surprised if he is moved though because management has to see how bad he's been and I haven't seen much said about him (support or criticism).

Edited by Kyrule

Seemed to think that the team wouldn't move in the next few years, but after expansion in Las Vegas and Seattle (probably) if we are still not on track, Quebec could come waving cash.

Right, when the lease nears an end.  Let's say 2022-3 or so...

If we're still in this pain by then, it might just be a mercy killing.