The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2015 Off-Season talk

I read the Ward to Edmonton on other boards through year... hate to see him go, but could happen...Hanifin dropping.. hmmm. have to go loook at some more boards :)

Yes, I heard that as well.  Since the lottery, it seems just about everyone has some combination of Marner-Strome going 3rd and 4th.  Button did his latest mock draft and had us choosing Hanifin.

I didn't hear the speculation on Ward to Edmonton, can you share any more details?

Edited by dinz

I think that is still the list of his mock draft, but there was a video link that lead with "Craig Button doesn't rank Hanifin in his top 10. Click here to find out why." But when you click it says we are geo blocked from the content.

I don't know that I trust Khudobin as our full time starter. I was really looking forward to our tandem continuing into next season

The only reference I heard on Ward to Edmonton today on XM was during a call-in on Scotty Laughlin's show, Scotty agreeing with the caller (who was from Manitoba, I believe) that Ward is a possibility. Laughlin then immediately threw Niemi and every #1A keeper he could think of into his speculative list of tenders headed north. Scotty - who is right approximately none of the time - is also convinced the Oil will deal RNH - because, you know, WHY WOULD THEY WANT ANOTHER TEAM AS TALENTED AS IN THE GRETZKY YEARS, RIGHT SCOTTY?? I'm telling you, I don't know who he's doing (or NOT) to keep his job, but what a waste of valuable airtime his show is.

The history of the Ward to Oil rumors dates to last summer, and if you put it together with Wardo's comment coming into this year ("I thought I was gone") it adds up that he'd have waived to go there at that time. But as others have pointed out, that was before he found his game. There is no question the Oil needs a keeper, but I'm with donwake that moving Ward anytime before the deadline (if then) is foolish, especially if he is extended at a workable number and has another good year. Khudo is not ready and I'm unconvinced he will be with another year under his belt. His puck management is atrocious, and this team played much better for Ward than for Anton. That's not saying he won't get there, but if we're indeed in a holding pattern until the big contracts to Ward and Eric are up (and who the heck knows??) that, coupled with Cam's return to form, suggest he's still on the roster next season.  

This just in, the Oil has waived RNH.

PSYCH!!

Edited by top-shelf-1

On another matter discussed today on XM: Is Tim Murray an idiot or what? Ownership should can him based solely on his selfish and stupid comments re missing out on McD and how he "hates having to fly across the country to participate." If he hates his job enough to make a boneheaded comment that offends the OTHER generational talent - THE ONE HE'S GETTING - and enough that getting on an airplane annoys him, he should be relieved of it. 

I think that is still the list of his mock draft, but there was a video link that lead with "Craig Button doesn't rank Hanifin in his top 10. Click here to find out why." But when you click it says we are geo blocked from the content.

Button is definitely an outlier in his rankings, for what that's worth.

If we snag either of Marner-Strome-Hanifin I'm happy.

I agree. On both points!

One of those will be there for the picking. RF will have the decision made for him, unless he goes away from what everybody assumes the top 5 to be.

The only reference I heard on Ward to Edmonton today on XM was during a call-in on Scotty Laughlin's show, Scotty agreeing with the caller (who was from Manitoba, I believe) that Ward is a possibility. Laughlin then immediately threw Niemi and every #1A keeper he could think of into his speculative list of tenders headed north. Scotty - who is right approximately none of the time - is also convinced the Oil will deal RNH - because, you know, WHY WOULD THEY WANT ANOTHER TEAM AS TALENTED AS IN THE GRETZKY YEARS, RIGHT SCOTTY?? I'm telling you, I don't know who he's doing (or NOT) to keep his job, but what a waste of valuable airtime his show is.

Heavy Metal poisoning.

On another matter discussed today on XM: Is Tim Murray an idiot or what? Ownership should can him based solely on his selfish and stupid comments re missing out on McD and how he "hates having to fly across the country to participate." If he hates his job enough to make a boneheaded comment that offends the OTHER generational talent - THE ONE HE'S GETTING - and enough that getting on an airplane annoys him, he should be relieved of it. 

I heard that interview.  What a sour man.  Management leads by example.  That kind of sourness can infect an organization.  I'll take RF any day over that.  

The whole interview was bitterness.  Nothing about the fact they are getting the frickin' second pick, and how that can vault their organization.  Nope.  All about "Woe is me/us."  

Edited by wxray1

Although Kudo had some nice games, there was just a feeling of unease in his games that you didn't get with Ward.  Ward was calm and solid, despite the troubled year.  I'd hate to see him go.

The trade, renegotiate, or lapse of the pending Ward and Staal contracts will say a lot about RF.

Same here.

I would include Rantanen as well but it would be hard to pass on any one of the consensus top-5.

I know one thing, after we make our pick the YouTube watching and in-depth research will begin, hopefully getting me excited for said player.

Heavy Metal poisoning.

Right - and that's from me, the college radio deejay suspended for playing AC/DC at 7 in the morning.  :lol:

Edited by top-shelf-1

Although Kudo had some nice games, there was just a feeling of unease in his games that you didn't get with Ward.  Ward was calm and solid, despite the troubled year.  I'd hate to see him go.

The trade, renegotiate, or lapse of the pending Ward and Staal contracts will say a lot about RF.

Yeah, Khudo was a rebound machine in a couple of games, where eating the puck was probably his strongest trait the year before. Now granted, he didn't play as much. But BP's effusive praise of Cam and his emphasis on puck management makes me think he wants him back, too, if only so the D doesn't have the additional learning curve of a new #1. I mean, if this year was really about "healthy competition" for the crease, it's no secret who won - and I think that alone could have been the reason for Cam's emotional interview. He did it, when lots and lots of people thought he was done.

When it could get really interesting is next spring; Cam showed this year that he's tailored his game to play well with minimal physical stress. Whether Khudo can follow suit may tell the tale about which guy we commit to when their current contracts are up. 

Seems clear that Peters likes Ward over Khudoben too. Like Staal, the idea of what to do with Ward might come down to discussions about what Ward wants after next year. Discussions we won't be in on. We'll hear boiler plate stuff unless a move happens.

If I'm Francis, I want to keep Ward, but at a reduced rate and no NTC. Just like w/ E. No free rides or undue power to those players if they stay. But Ward may actually want a change of scenery. He may want more money (like Sekera) than we are willing to part with. He may want the NTC or feel he should have one. He may want to test free agency in one year.

So it is more than just, "do we like Ward better than Khudoben?". If Ward indicates on any of those things above that he's not sure or might want out, then unless we are planning a cup run next year, we are better off getting something for him.

I have no idea what he would fetch, but it has to be a lot more than this time last year.

So hard to speculate on these things when the GM (as he should) keeps the cards close, and we don't know the return offered, or what the player has said in confidence.

Thanks everyone on your insight on Marner, and certainly, I would revise all my thinking on him being our 5th pick, if Skinner would be traded. But the point I continue to argue, that I don't know has been factored in to consensus thinking is On a team which repeatedly demonstrates SOFT PLAY, can the Canes keep fielding smallish players? Now certainly many point out Chicago as the "poster boy" in terms of team size. Montreal is another case in point. Somehow, some way, our team has not found that secret ingredient.

Possibly, and I am very hopeful, that Peters is instilling a system that can prosper like the 2 noted above, but also recall that we still have Tolchinski out there, and he was amazing in his brief exposure to the bigs.

For now, I personally would love to draft Rantanen, but i'm warming to Marner, particularly if RF could find a deal to trade Skins for a good D.

Seems clear that Peters likes Ward over Khudoben too. Like Staal, the idea of what to do with Ward might come down to discussions about what Ward wants after next year. Discussions we won't be in on. We'll hear boiler plate stuff unless a move happens.

If I'm Francis, I want to keep Ward, but at a reduced rate and no NTC. Just like w/ E. No free rides or undue power to those players if they stay. But Ward may actually want a change of scenery. He may want more money (like Sekera) than we are willing to part with. He may want the NTC or feel he should have one. He may want to test free agency in one year.

So it is more than just, "do we like Ward better than Khudoben?". If Ward indicates on any of those things above that he's not sure or might want out, then unless we are planning a cup run next year, we are better off getting something for him.

I have no idea what he would fetch, but it has to be a lot more than this time last year.

So hard to speculate on these things when the GM (as he should) keeps the cards close, and we don't know the return offered, or what the player has said in confidence.

WARNING: I'm reading tea leaves and projecting what I would do into a situation not involving me (maybe this should be the default disclaimer for all posts on this thread! :))

Ward has said not just that he loves it here and wants to have success here (same as E), but has gone further: He's on the record that he "consider this my home." The fact that he was NOT gone last year - how can he view that as anything but a second chance, extended by the new brain trust? Assuming that's the case, I have to think the emo he showed in that interview was prompted by the dual factors of his success this season in proving he could adapt his game to play effectively at this level and his appreciation toward BP and RF at having been given that chance. 

For many years, Mrs. Shelf and I frequented a little restaurant in Greenville, where we lived until recently. We'd be in there most weekend afternoons between lunch and dinner in the summer having a late lunch and a beer and watching sports on TV. We went in one Saturday and lo and behold, who was at the only other occupied table? Cam, Cody and, less than a year old, in a booster seat, Nolan. It happened again a few weeks later. And a few weeks after that.

Maybe they were just out for Sunday drives - or maybe he's got a place at the coast or in Little Washington (where there are some beautiful condos with slips right on the river), and Greenville was a nice mid-point for the drive back to Raleigh. Regardless, my point is this: Being from Saskatoon, he must feel like he's died and gone to heaven. Like the rest of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon is North Dakota without the charm. And if you're asking, "What charm??" that's EXACTLY my point.

I have a feeling that Cam is here at a fair price for as long as the club wants him. I also get a sense that he truly feels responsibility - guilt, even - for making so much money with this org and only getting to the playoffs once during that contract. Which is crazy, given the way we rode him, did not support him defensively (let alone offensively) and the injuries he suffered as a result of being overplayed. But if I'm right and he feels that way - and even if he does not - it is clear solely from his public comments that Cam is a character guy who really loves being in Raleigh.

The more of those we can get, the better, and one last point: Cam's hero is Marty Brodeur. It is far-fetched to think he'd like to follow in his footsteps when it comes to devotion to his org?   

Edited by top-shelf-1

I want to ask a hypothetical question, which I believe to not really be hypothetical since I almost feel it is going to happen, being a student of human behavior...

Given:

1) Say RF does not extend E Staal

2) Say E Staal has a 80+ point season

Not hard to believe for me.

i) It's a contact year.  This means we get contract year effort

ii) We know he is capable of it, just appears to take portions of seasons off. (I have to say "appears to" since I don't know for certain all of his injury woes.  Regardless, it is all I can go on)

What do you do with him at the end of the season?  I, for one, do not trust him to make the effort consistently that I can almost guarantee he will summon this next season.  I think we will be in a real quandry with him again.  9+ million...  an 80+ point season would be a strong statement for more big $.

(edit:  B rightparen = B) so don't use it in your lists)

Edited by hag65

I want to ask a hypothetical question, which I believe to not really be hypothetical since I almost feel it is going to happen, being a student of human behavior...

Given:

1) Say RF does not extend E Staal

2) Say E Staal has a 80+ point season

Not hard to believe for me.

i) It's a contact year.  This means we get contract year effort

ii) We know he is capable of it, just appears to take portions of seasons off. (I have to say "appears to" since I don't know for certain all of his injury woes.  Regardless, it is all I can go on)

What do you do with him at the end of the season?  I, for one, do not trust him to make the effort consistently that I can almost guarantee he will summon this next season.  I think we will be in a real quandry with him again.  9+ million...  an 80+ point season would be a strong statement for more big $.

(edit:  B rightparen = B) so don't use it in your lists)

This is why I've become increasingly convinced that extending now at a much lower number, with no NTC, is the thing to do, versus letting it ride and seeing how he reacts. Getting the deal done now - provided there is no NTC - is the best way to find out if E will give 110 percent regardless of his contract status or how much he's making. It shifts the bottom line, making it simply this: How badly do you want to WIN, and does your play reflect it? If, in the end, he doesn't produce or fit the long-term plans, we can move him next summer - and if we want to keep him, he's already signed, at a number more befitting an aging star.

I'd like to see us work a similar deal for Cam.

My only other thing would be for Ron to negotiate, if possible, that the current NTCs elapse after the All-Star break, so we have all options on the table for next year's TD.  

Edited by top-shelf-1

This is why I've become increasingly convinced that extending now at a much lower number, with no NTC, is the thing to do, versus letting it ride and seeing how he reacts. Getting the deal done now - provided there is no NTC - is the best way to find out if E will give 110 percent regardless of his contract status or how much he's making. It shifts the bottom line, making it simply this: How badly do you want to WIN, and does your play reflect it? If, in the end, he doesn't produce or fit the long-term plans, we can move him next summer - and if we want to keep him, he's already signed, at a number more befitting an aging star.

I'd like to see us work a similar deal for Cam.

My only other thing would be for Ron to negotiate, if possible, that the current NTCs elapse after the All-Star break, so we have all options on the table for next year's TD.  

I do agree, the extension at a lower $ value with immediate loss of NTC is a great idea... I would do it in a heartbeat.  However does anyone think he would take something like Jordan money, because anything like Semin level is overpayment imho.

shelf: good insights about Cam.  Thanks.

If RF can negotiate more reasonable contracts for E. and Cam, I'm all in.  I don't think those guys would ever Semin us.

6m a year for Staal seems reasonable.

4.5m/year for Ward.

Anything more and both can take a hike.  If Staal has some sort of career year this coming season then we should not resign him because that shows what is work ethic actually is like.