The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2015 Off-Season talk

Somewhat off-topic, but I did want to see if there were any thoughts.

I just checked Ticketmaster for available seating for some games. All I can say is WOW! The availability outside of the opener is staggering. I'm optimistic the team will start hot and that more seats will get sold, but man this is scary. I dont think there's even enough opposing fans around to help fill this many seats. Looks like the Triangle has bailed out for now. Seems to give a lot of the forum trolls some backing when they say we're fair-weather fans. FYI, I'll be there all season.

I just checked Ticketmaster for available seating for some games. All I can say is WOW! The availability outside of the opener is staggering. I'm optimistic the team will start hot and that more seats will get sold, but man this is scary. I dont think there's even enough opposing fans around to help fill this many seats. Looks like the Triangle has bailed out for now. Seems to give a lot of the forum trolls some backing when they say we're fair-weather fans. FYI, I'll be there all season.

Dude, I think once the conversation has devolved into whether one bobblehead was trying to determine the extent of junk in the trunk of another bobblehead, being off-topic is no longer an issue  :lol:

File this under Wild Ideas:

Does the NHL/ CHL age agreement pertain only to U.S. minor pro leagues (AHL/ ECHL)?  In theory, could we loan Hayden Fleury to  the same Swedish team that Lucas Wallmark is playing for this year? 

I know sending a 19yo overseas for a season might sound far fetched, but younger players travel the opposite direction all the time.  And in Wallmark he'd have a likely future teammate to help with the transition (and vice versa re preparing Wallmark to come to the U.S.).

I know there are complications.  E.g., I'm guessing the SHL has rules limiting the number of foreign players on a team,  And Fleury would be playing on the bigger ice.  But he's already seen 18 years of the small ice, so I'm guessing transitioning back wouldn't be that big a deal for him.  I wonder if playing against men in a very good European league might be better for his development at this point than playing against kids in the OHL for another year.  Top prospect Austin Matthews seems to think so . . .   

Maybe the Canes could even develop an informal working relationship with a couple of European teams just for those cases where the NHL/ CHL age rule is detrimental to a prospect's development?

Edited by LakeLivin

The most recent lockout was not kind to this area.  The Canes picked a terrible time to dive.  It didn't help that JR bet the house on the set of forwards that were poised to bring the team to a "deep run in the playoffs."

Many people pledged that they were done during that lockout.  Guess what, many of them fulfilled their promise, and nothing has helped to bring them back.

Add to that the lingering recession.  Compare to the Bay Area and the Sharks: wages have continued to rise there.  Not so here.  

There are many reasons, and frankly, many of them would be solved with a playoff appearance.

The most recent lockout was not kind to this area.  The Canes picked a terrible time to dive.  It didn't help that JR bet the house on the set of forwards that were poised to bring the team to a "deep run in the playoffs."

Many people pledged that they were done during that lockout.  Guess what, many of them fulfilled their promise, and nothing has helped to bring them back.

Add to that the lingering recession.  Compare to the Bay Area and the Sharks: wages have continued to rise there.  Not so here.  

There are many reasons, and frankly, many of them would be solved with a playoff appearance.

I'm thinking more than 2 in a row in the next 3 maybe 4 seasons

I'm thinking more than 2 in a row in the next 3 maybe 4 seasons

Fair point.

Things would be "better" with an appearance, but not solved.

I just clicked on the link to buy tickets to opening night, and I'm glad I already have tickets because there ain't much left. Single seats and a few on the glass and upper deck corner literally on the back wall.

Looks pretty much like a sell out to me.

The negative, probably a few Detroit fans in there.

The postive, you get a free tuke.

We have cut our roster to 22. We are allowed 23 on opening night. Does anyone think we might be going to pick up another player before the puck drops in Nashville?

As  put up on Training Camp and Pre-season thread, a few useful players are showing up on waiver wire now. Could get interesting? Just saw Mason Raymond, whom I thought was decent, seems to be there now. Salary is a problem there?

Edited by KJUNKANE

Is interesting they are leaving a spot open. Could be that we have enough guys on two way contracts we can just call them up if needed and most of the guys in question are better off playing in Charlotte until needed.

Mason Rayond has been a pretty decent winger, though his numbers fell back a little last year to about a 30 point pace. He did put up 45 the year before last. Then again, he was near the bottom of the team in plus minus last year too.

I went to the Flames board to see what they were saying and found this quote:

I could see Carolina or New Jersey picking up Raymond.

Generally people did think the contract was the issue. They have a lot of young stud forwards too, and the feeling was that they outplayed him, not that he was bad bad.

If Francis could find one more reasonably priced, good locker room, vet NHL winger that could put up 35 or more points...especially a gritty one or a playmaking one...it would be very nice.

The Canes normally start with a 22-man roster.  I don't read much into it. 

Besides, most of the vets on waivers have bad contracts their teams are trying to rid themselves of.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Good point about the salaries of the players hitting the waiver wire, coastal.  Mason Raymond is at $3.15m per for the next 2 years but even ignoring that, the fact that he's a LW in and of itself drastically reduces any chance that the Canes would be interested, at least in my mind.

Edited by LakeLivin

So Lake, not sure who we've got slotted in on left wing, but you don't think Raymond is better than Gerbs for instance? To me, Raymond is a better top 6 fit. Of course there is the salary difference?

Edited by KJUNKANE

So Lake, not sure who we've got slotted in on left wing, but you don't think Raymond is better than Gerbs for instance? To me, Raymond is a better top 6 fit. Of course there is the salary difference?

Well, seems like the organization wants to move E to LW, so E and Skinner would be my top 2.  Sure, I think Raymond is a better pure scorer than Gerbe, but I don't know that I'd swap Gerbe for Raymond on this Canes team, especially with the salary difference.  To my eyes Gerbe was as or more important to our PK success last year as anyone else. He's so quick and no one has more hustle. And Gerbe is much more physical than Raymond, something the Canes really need (surprisingly, there's only a 6-8 lb weight difference between the two.)   And I know the franchise is stressing character; no idea about Raymond, but I'm pretty confident Gerbe is top notch on that front. 

Not to say I'm not open to more depth. It just seems like we're much deeper at LW than RW (Versteeg did close the gap some there).  If we're going to pay full retail to pick up another LW, I think we'd be looking for someone more physical than Raymond.  Heck, I wouldn't have minded re-signing Tlusty at $1.5m or under (Top's concerns not withstanding ^_^).      

I have a thought. How about we just trade "Captain" for "Captain"?

E. Staal for Andrew Ladd? Ladd is a natural Left Winger and unless the Jets re-sign him, will be a UFA at season's end.

That way Eric can play for Mo! :winner:

Good points, Lake. I was just spit balling there, but I really am fond of Gerbe for the reasons you've mentioned. Now I see Toronto picked up a D off waivers and placed Pannik on them. He is a right shot, any thoughts there?

Good points, Lake. I was just spit balling there, but I really am fond of Gerbe for the reasons you've mentioned. Now I see Toronto picked up a D off waivers and placed Pannik on them. He is a right shot, any thoughts there?

I dunno. Last year I thought Panik was Nestracil before Nestracil was Nestracil (how's that for paying homage to Yogi?)  Both Eastern European, same age, similar stats, and reportedly both available only because their NHL teams were so deep they had to expose them to waivers when other players returned from injury (Panik happened to hit the waiver wire first).  

At 24yo Panik (and Nestracil for that matter) seems like kind of a "tweener" to me, somewhere between an above average prospect and a proven NHL regular. I was hoping we'd pick up Panik last year when he became available because we had players like Boychuk, Terry, and Dwyer who I thought he might compete favorably with for a slot (ignoring positions). This year we got rid of some of our older forwards. Outside of Gerbe and McClement, the oldest of what I'd call our "complimentary" forward group is 26.   But we do have a slot open.  This is one where I'd depend heavily on our scouting staff's recommendations.  I'd be weighing Panik's prospects of helping the team this year against players like Nordstrom, McGinn, etc.  He's making less than $1m per, so the salary would be ok with me if he was contributing to the Canes and not to the Checkers.

All this with the caveat that I don't consider myself a particularly qualified evaluator of NHL talent. I'm just going on some stats and things I've read on the internet.  :)

Edited by LakeLivin

So perhaps GMRF has a plan that is bigger and more far looking than: "Get as many Staals and Sutters as possible.":

Edit: OK, the above was a bit abrasive and not aimed any anyone.

I just thing RF is really looking at the big picture, and that picture includes things like age, term, cap hit and actual salary per year.

JR was weird about that sometimes, as we know by the terms of certain players that the team is still consuming.

And his obsession with certain families was just weird.

Edited by wxray1

So perhaps GMRF has a plan that is bigger and more far looking than: "Get as many Staals and Sutters as possible.":

Edit: OK, the above was a bit abrasive and not aimed any anyone.

I just thing RF is really looking at the big picture, and that picture includes things like age, term, cap hit and actual salary per year.

JR was weird about that sometimes, as we know by the terms of certain players that the team is still consuming.

And his obsession with certain families was just weird.

Well, grabbing on a Sutter is the closest thing to a sure thing(outside of grabbing a Geoffrion).

Eklund prints a lot of senseless stuff, but this takes the cake. Move a team located 200 miles from the Atlantic shoreline to the Western Conference? I want some of whatever this nitwit is smoking, unless, as you note, the team itself moves. I'd have to think it's more likely that the Red Wings return to the West. Do you have a link, bdc? 

I'm going way back here, but this was posted during the time i was lurking but not able to post and i did still want to throw this out there -

With the AHL's Western Exodus and the changes in the ECHL, the NHL has been moving toward a more-consistent, geographic set-up of farm clubs.  To that end, Charlotte has been competing in the AHL's Westerm Conference since 2011.  Apples to oranges, i know, but i wouldn't consider it out of the question, depending on what happens elsewhere over the next couple seasons.