The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
super_dave_1

Daniels out in Charlotte

Nothing against Daniels personally, but I'm glad RF is following up on his promise to overhaul the entire organization.  More accountability in action?  Great first off season move, IMO.

Scott Walker please, he did a great job with Guelph.

I'm all for this move.  Nothing against Daniels, but you have to start building for the future of the Hurricanes in Charlotte.  Coastal has something with the Scott Walker comment.  He did a good job in Guelph and he as a player, he had a lot of what this organization is sorely lacking.

Daniels has had a long run with this organization. By all accounts a good guy. But yes, continuation of organizational changes. Time for a change. I wish him well. I also look forward to seeing who the new coach is.

It was the next logical step in rebuilding the Hurricanes organization. I also have nothing against Daniels but the organization needs a coach that reflects the current management and coaching philosophy. Francis now gets his own man in Charlotte.

Drafting may be a big part of our organization but player development is just as important.

I do wish Daniels well and hope he lands on his feet, he has been with the Canes a long time.

Scott Walker would def be a great choice for Charlotte, but I wouldn't mind Mike Vellucci taking the helm there either. He has a great track record with young talent and the talent coming up is right out of junior leagues. But it's also doubtful he ends up with the Checkers. Just a little food for thought I guess.

Edited by shauniac79

The only thing about Walker is he quit Guelph in the middle of a season stating that he needed to spend more time with his family.  I wouldn't think the crazy AHL schedule would align with that too well.

A guy can still hope though.

While either Walker or Brind'Amour would be great, as Coastal points out, Walker walked away from Guelph to spend more time with his family and this job is not conducive to that. The thought of Brind'Amour developing prospects is very intriguing but who knows if he'd want that.

I'm not sure that going outside of the organization is such a bad idea though. It always felt like Rutherford kept it "in the family" to a fault. I'm a big fan of Francis's tendancy to move in the other direction in search of qualified candidates and fresh ideas.

I don't think Rod's the answer. He has minimal experience coaching from the sidelines, and with our improved special teams, I think he's best served in Raleigh.

It wouldn't be horrible if Velluci took the spot as someone mentioned, but I doubt he envisioned leaving his gig in the OHL to coach Charlotte.

The only thing about Walker is he quit Guelph in the middle of a season stating that he needed to spend more time with his family.  I wouldn't think the crazy AHL schedule would align with that too well.

A guy can still hope though.

That could be a reason for him to pass.  If I recall correctly in '09 his wife was dealing with health issues and the family received tremendous community support here.

While Daniels had done a good job in Charlotte, he was pretty much a Maurice style of play.

Why not look at some of the assistant coaches (Knuble?) from the Grand Rapids Griffins?

Being the Red Wings farm team, the implore the same scheme as Peters is cementing with the Canes.

I think that would translate very well to the Checkers.

Edited by hopper915

Any rumblings yet? I'm sure this is far down RF's list of things to do, but does anyone want to hazard a guess of when this issue is resolved, pre or post draft? Might be wise, if a potential coach for Checkers has some insight on draft age kids, to bring him in predraft?