The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
LakeLivin

Losing formatting when editing a post that quotes a previous post

I think I stumbled across a way to not lose the "previous post" formatting (shading and identification info) when you go back and edit a post that contains a previous post.

The formatting disappears when you use the "delete" or "backspace" key when editing a post that contains a previous post you quoted.  To avoid that, first go to the end of the post you want to edit.  Add a couple of extra lines using the "enter" key.  Then, when you go back up and do your editing It doesn't seem to delete the "previous post" formatting (shaded box and original poster id). 

Maybe the problem has to do with some kind of special formatting linked to the very end of the original post you're trying to edit?  Maybe by adding new lines you're creating a new "last paragraph" which somehow avoids the whole problem?  Any html programmers out there?

If you do hit "delete" and lose the formatting before adding those extra lines, you can click on the "undo" arrow on the tool bar (you may have to click it more than once) to get back the formatted text.  

Edited by LakeLivin

I think I stumbled across a way to not lose the "previous post" formatting (shading and identification info) when you go back and edit a post that contains a previous post.

The formatting disappears when you use the "delete" or "backspace" key when editing a post that contains a previous post you quoted.  To avoid that, first go to the end of the post you want to edit.  Add a couple of extra lines using the "enter" key.  Then, when you go back up and do your editing It doesn't seem to delete the "previous post" formatting (shaded box and original poster id). 

Maybe the problem has to do with some kind of special formatting linked to the very end of the original post you're trying to edit?  Maybe by adding new lines you're creating a new "last paragraph" which somehow avoids the whole problem?  Any html programmers out there?

If you do hit "delete" and lose the formatting before adding those extra lines, you can click on the "undo" arrow on the tool bar (you may have to click it more than once) to get back the formatted text.  

Months ago I had several text conversations with the tech people. They indicated there wasn't a program problem and seemed to point to a user problem . I know and you know that isn't the case. As you point out the easiest work around is before you begin your reply to a quoted post you space down a couple of places. That way when you go back and edit your text it leaves the quoted post intact.

The problem also occurs in a post if I put the quote box around a line of text and don't space down before editing any text that is beneath the quote box but not in the quote.

A bit frustrating but once you get accustomed to the work around not awful.

Months ago I had several text conversations with the tech people. They indicated there wasn't a program problem and seemed to point to a user problem . I know and you know that isn't the case. As you point out the easiest work around is before you begin your reply to a quoted post you space down a couple of places. That way when you go back and edit your text it leaves the quoted post intact.

The problem also occurs in a post if I put the quote box around a line of text and don't space down before editing any text that is beneath the quote box but not in the quote.

A bit frustrating but once you get accustomed to the work around not awful.

That's actually what I was mainly referring to as I hardly ever edit something in another person's quote (unless just to highlight it).

Seems like the issue would have been pretty easy for the tech people to test out themselves.  Sounds like it was a case of "get out of here kid, you're bugging me" rather than them actually looking into it.  :( 

Having said that, I've been on a couple of other teams forums and our list of emoticons has way more choices than any of the others. So at least our tech people took care of us there. . .    

That's actually what I was mainly referring to as I hardly ever edit something in another person's quote (unless just to highlight it).

Seems like the issue would have been pretty easy for the tech people to test out themselves.  Sounds like it was a case of "get out of here kid, you're bugging me" rather than them actually looking into it.  :(

Having said that, I've been on a couple of other teams forums and our list of emoticons has way more choices than any of the others. So at least our tech people took care of us there. . .    

For clarification I was referring to when you reply to a post like I'm doing here and go back to edit your own reply. I will happen is I post the reply and then go back using the edit button. I almost never edit someone else's post except maybe to highlight a line like I have done above.

I had to smile when you wrote Sounds like it was a case of "get out of here kid, you're bugging me" . My vision was a young tech guru saying, "get out of here you old duffer, this is our world now and you don't belong to the club".

Glad it works for you coastal. I just hope our regulars see it here. I know I have my bookmark set to the "All Hockey All the Time" page and don't check back to the main forum page very often.

It looks like the site programmers fixed the problem!   :applause:

Editing a third time, is Lake correct?

Wow, editing a 4th time, including backspacing right up to the limit, and Lake's quote is still there.  Finally!  Only took 3 years of denials.  

Edited by wxray1