The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
top-shelf-1

Babcock to... Leafs. LEAFS????

I'm just freakin' speechless. The salary ramifications of this for other coaches and for hockey in general are crazy enough, but Mike: *edit* are you thinking??

Up next: Coaching salaries count against the cap. Book it.

Seems Babcock is up for a challenge. 

50 million dollar contract.  For a coach.  I'm speechless as well but Babcock did say part of his decision was to affect future coaches.

Babcock has a Cup ring, won an Olympic gold medal, and a World Championship. Setting the bar for coach salaries (and getting paid) may be his last accomplishment. Toronto had a blank check with his name on it.

Interesting article over at The HockeyNews: http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/good-luck-with-the-maple-leafs-mike-babcock-youre-going-to-need-it/

It speculates that the going may be rough both for Babcock and the Leafs for years to come.

"He’s also a man who has won one Stanley Cup [only one] in the last decade with an organization that strives for excellence, and who has won Olympic gold medals for the country that produces the best players on the planet and designates more resources to the game than all the other countries combined. He’s a coach whose teams have lost in the first round two of the past three seasons despite having Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg on the roster."

. . .

"Actually, the Babcock hiring works only if one thing has been made crystal clear to him. And that is that for at least the first three years of his eight-year deal, he can probably forget about making the playoffs, that coaching this team will be painful at times and will require all the patience he can muster, and that his legacy as a coaching magician might get tarnished a little. Because there will be losing. Don’t bother going into the office of the GM – whoever the heck that turns out to be – demanding that he get you players who can help you win now. You don’t have Datsyuk and Zetterberg and the host of promising young players the Red Wings had and you’re not in Detroit anymore."

Edited by LakeLivin

Great stuff, Lake, thanks for posting. 

I got the news in the car last night just before 8, at the tail end of the pre-game yapfest they do on NHL Radio. I had just tuned in and one of the guys mentioned "Babcock" and "Leafs" in the same sentence with an offhandedness that made clear they'd been talking about it for the last hour. Then they signed off.

Wha... huh?? Could it be? My face is pretty screwed up in its natural state, but thank goodness there were no cars in the oncoming lane, because my look of shock would have sent them right off the highway. It was something... like... THIS:

large-marge-animated.gif

There was also a great comment on the NHL.com story: "He's getting older and wants to have longer summers with his family." Classic.

Edited by top-shelf-1

I dunno what they think Babcock's going to do but he'll be run out of town before he's done doing it.

Those fans wants wins today, not tomorrow.

I dunno what they think Babcock's going to do but he'll be run out of town before he's done doing it.

Those fans wants wins today, not tomorrow.

I dunno legend. That may depend more on Shanahan than the fans.  He's clearly a "take charge" kind of guy, and if he views building a culture as a multi year project I could see where Babcock may get multiple years regardless of fan pressure. That is if Shanahan is looking at a turnaround with Babcock similarly as to how I envision GMRF is viewing it with Peters.    

I'm not sure money was the deciding factor since it is rumored Buffalo was going to offer him a bundle too. Not that money wasn't a factor, who is going to walk away from that kind of coin. Coaches are competitive by nature and the good ones think they know the way to success. He has a chance to be the coach that turns that storied franchise around. Quite a challenge.

At the same time Legends words might very well ring true. In Leaf land everything is magnified. He may have a winning formula but will he be given the time or will he be given the boot.

The Leafs may know that there isn't a quick fix for this and bringing in an established, winning, looked at by many in the league as the best coach in is a good way to hold down the ire of the fans on ousting a coach quickly.  If they signed anybody else, in a year and a half the torch and pitchfork brigade would be in force.  Another thing is the players will know that they have to buy in with this coach as opposed to quitting on a guy to get rid of him.  Honestly signing Babcock goes a long way to avoid a coaching confidence issue.  He'll have the benefit of the doubt for a while and if fans were to get antsy.  Think about it, if they were to fire him, who would be better?

There was also a great comment on the NHL.com story: "He's getting older and wants to have longer summers with his family." Classic.

And maybe Bill Peters told him how great the greens at Pinehurst #2 are in early April.

I'm not sure money was the deciding factor since it is rumored Buffalo was going to offer him a bundle too. Not that money wasn't a factor, who is going to walk away from that kind of coin. Coaches are competitive by nature and the good ones think they know the way to success. He has a chance to be the coach that turns that storied franchise around. Quite a challenge.

At the same time Legends words might very well ring true. In Leaf land everything is magnified. He may have a winning formula but will he be given the time or will he be given the boot.

In terms of cash, fan patience, and lack of deadweight contracts, I think Buffalo was the superior option.  That being said, a coach who could win the Leafs a Cup would be a god in the eyes of Leaf Nation.  At least till the 1st loss of the following year, when the torches and pitchforks would come out again.