The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
super_dave_1

The great size debate

4 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

Is it just me or does Necas look like he is 6 ft 4?  

3 hours ago, Stealth-ch1 said:

I don't remember the specific quote, but I remember seeing a report from camp (Michael Smith maybe?) saying that while he's listed as 6'1, he's probably at least a couple inches taller than that.

I've seen that reported as well. But the height comment seems to be in comparison to Lorentz. Given that Necas was just measured at the combine, my guess is that Lorentz was slouching a bit. Can't imagine Necas grew 2 or 3 inches in a month.

On 5/24/2016 at 1:50 PM, super_dave_1 said:

Size matters.  I win the thread.

On 5/24/2016 at 3:57 PM, hag65 said:

You win.

On 5/24/2016 at 6:17 PM, coastal_caniac said:

Slam dunk, you won.

I'm sorry to say I missed the first anniversary of the Size Matters Thread Win and Award

Just now, coastal_caniac said:

I'm sorry to say I missed the first anniversary of the Size Matters Thread Win and Award

You didn't get the memo from the National Association of Thread Winners?  The invitation was sent out in Feb

Last night's game made me take a closer look at Alex DeBrincat: 19yo, 5'7", 165lbs.  Unless I'm mistaken, that size would have been unheard of in the not too distant past (players like St. Louis and Gerbe were short, but they were also built like stoves).

Sure, bigger is better. But in today's NHL, if it comes down to a trade off, I'm still going with speed and skill over size. 

13 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Last night's game made me take a closer look at Alex DeBrincat: 19yo, 5'7", 165lbs.  Unless I'm mistaken, that size would have been unheard of in the not too distant past (players like St. Louis and Gerbe were short, but they were also built like stoves).

Sure, bigger is better. But in today's NHL, if it comes down to a trade off, I'm still going with speed and skill over size. 

I'd still pay for this guy to stand in front of the crease.image.jpeg.2d670f5b7e3f6b18e662dd6dbf283051.jpeg

2 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

I'd still pay for this guy to stand in front of the crease.image.jpeg.2d670f5b7e3f6b18e662dd6dbf283051.jpeg

Me too. :P  Which reminds me, goalie is the position where I think size matters the most in today's NHL.

Funny I have been watching DeBrincat since his draft year too. Like Marner and Gaudreau, Tyler Johnson and and probably this year's Kailer Yamamoto, crazy skill and junior hockey point production is the single biggest predictor of NHL success (for D men too). The caveat of course that size AND scoring is probably universally agreed on as best if you can get it. DeBrincat really pushes the line, as does Yamatato (below). The little runt cost us a point last night.

I was fascinated with the Marner vs. Crouse thing a few years ago. Watching the next few years the over-valued big guy could be Michael Rasmussen to Detroit at #9, 6'6" with lots of PP assists but slim production 5 on 5 vs either Kailer Yamamato 5'8" at #22 to the Oilers or Nick Suzuki 5'11' tops, at #13 to Vegas. I put my money on the little guys.

Somehow I knew when this board saw DeBrincat (I watched him some in a Wednesday night game a couple of weeks ago) this thread would fire up again. Now let me scroll up and see if that's what did it. That kid can straight up play hockey.