The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
g105

Tampa Bay Bans Visitors Wearing Certain Jerseys

I read today that TB has banned fans of Montreal and the Rangers from wearing those sweaters to TB home games.  Wow!  I'm sure the Commish will have something to say about that.  If not, the courts. But I can think of a number of sweaters I'd like to see banned from PNC.

would like to see this addressed in the court system.

as long as one abides by the behavior rules of the arena I do not see how they can enforce this

I don't see any mention of this policy on any of the forums, but the TB web site posts the following on arena policy:

"This Ticket is a revocable license. TBA reserves the right to revoke this license, in its sole discretion, at any time and for any reason, by tendering to Holder the purchase price of the Ticket. Admission to the Facility may be refused or Holder may be ejected, without refund, if Holder violates any of these Terms, any applicable law, ordinance, or rule, or if Holder is disorderly."

Would this be the means by which the policy is enforced?  Would it hold water?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/21/sports/hockey/tampa-bay-lightning-limit-wearing-of-opponents-colors.html?_r=0

The policies prohibit fans from wearing an opposing team’s apparel in certain club areas and restrict ticket sales to non-Florida residents. On the surface, the apparel policy affects less than 10 percent of the 19,204-seat Amalie Arena.

“Please note that for all 2015 N.H.L. playoff games at Amalie Arena only Tampa Bay Lightning team apparel (or neutral) will be permitted in these club and adjoining seating areas,” the statement reads. “Fans wearing visiting team apparel will be asked to remove them while in these areas.”

Spectators who do not comply are offered similar colored apparel to wear; if they refuse, they are moved outside the club area to another available seat. Nobody is thrown out of the arena. Wickett said that “very few people, less than a handful,” had tested the policy. (The Chase Club holds about 1,000 people, and the Lexus Lounge has 390 seats, Wickett said, representing 7.2 percent of the arena’s capacity.)

Also of note, TB refused to sell tickets to people with credit cards that weren't based in Florida.  Nashville did something similar iirc.

If this was Tampa's policy all year I would agree this is ridiculous. But it's the playoffs and no one's trying to make friends at the moment.

I like what Dan Bernstein (a Chicago Blogger) as reported by Greg Wyshyski of Puck Daddy wrote;

Attempts to create an artificially controlled “hometown environment” sure seem like a needless expenditure of energy and concern for a franchise that won a Cup of its own as recently as 2004. If that wasn’t enough to grow and sustain a fan base sufficiently to this point, it’s probably not worth the trouble.

I guess in the end it's their arena and they can do what they want but really take your shirt off or get to the cheap seats. I think that is Bush League. Their ticket policy really strikes me wrong. I can't imagine that if I bought tickets to a Bolt game, booked a flight, rented a hotel room and showed up at the game only to be told your tickets were purchased from the wrong zip code. Here is your money back now go away.

I like what Dan Bernstein (a Chicago Blogger) as reported by Greg Wyshyski of Puck Daddy wrote;

I guess in the end it's their arena and they can do what they want but really take your shirt off or get to the cheap seats. I think that is Bush League. Their ticket policy really strikes me wrong. I can't imagine that if I bought tickets to a Bolt game, booked a flight, rented a hotel room and showed up at the game only to be told your tickets were purchased from the wrong zip code. Here is your money back now go away.

The way it works is that you couldn't have bought the tickets online in the first place if your charge card wasn't associated with a Florida zip code. 

On the restricted dress policy seats, it's only 7.2% of the arena.  I'm guessing they'd move you to similar seats, maybe just on the "visitors" side of the rink?    

The way it works is that you couldn't have bought the tickets online in the first place if your charge card wasn't associated with a Florida zip code. 

On the restricted dress policy seats, it's only 7.2% of the arena.  I'm guessing they'd move you to similar seats, maybe just on the "visitors" side of the rink?    

I guess Stub Hub sales will go up in Chicago.

Forslund weighed in on the Tampa Bay sales and attire policy on the latest Canes Corner Podcast with Mike Maniscalco.

He didn't like it.In effect he said, free country, free market and people should be allowed to purchase ticket and wear what they want.

Seemed to think Blackhawk fans attending game one hid their jerseys and began wearing them in second period.