The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

New Rules Recommendations

The NHL / NHLPA Competition Committee issued a statement on new rules recommendations.

See complete recommendations on NHL.com

The Committee recommends that a Coach's Challenge be adopted for expanded video review for goals that may have resulted from (1) goaltender interference and (2) offside plays.

The Committee recommends a change to the face-off rule, whereby, for all face-offs in the defensive zone, the player from the defensive zone team must put down his stick first

(There was considerable discussion of changing the current overtime format but no consensus was reached.The NHLPA and NHL will continue discussions in the coming weeks)

Rules recommendations still require approval by the NHLPA's Executive Board and the NHL's Board of Governors,

Interesting that the recommended Francis' defensive zone stick down rule.

So they said the coach's challenge a team must have their time out available. Hmmm. Suggests at most one challenge, and probably lose the time out if you lose the challenge?

To me the 3 on 3 OT is THE key thing though. I really want to see that adopted.

I think the Coaches challenge rule breaks new ground, as far as the league goes, and brings hockey more in line with the other big NA sports. 

There is already video review and overtime, and rock paper scissors.

3 on 3 OT would be cool though, I'm for that, if it helps not getting to RPS.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I think the Coaches challenge rule breaks new ground, as far as the league goes, and brings hockey more in line with the other big NA sports. 

There is already video review and overtime, and rock paper scissors.

3 on 3 OT would be cool though, I'm for that, if it helps not getting to RPS.

I agree.

Need to slip in removing the trapezoid for a perfect summer.

Only thing that's disappointing is the coaches challenge really also needs to be include puck out of play penalties.

Or those need to be automatically reviewed those are game changing penalties and need to be right.

Edited by legend-1

NHL plans move to 3-on-3 overtimes

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/13137930/nhl-general-managers-vote-make-overs-3-skaters-per-side

Five minute 3-on-3.  No 4-on-4 to start the overtime.  I'm a big proponent of going to 3-on-3 after 3 or 4 minutes of 4-on-4, but I'm not too sure about starting OT immediately with 3-on-3. I read that approximately 23% of NHL games go to OT.  That's got to drastically raise the value to a team of of fast, skilled puck handlers, doesn't it?

Edited by LakeLivin