The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

Rumors and Trade Deadline Talk

When we first got Dobby I pointed out that his NHL numbers, while brilliant, were based on a very small sample size and were way better than anything he had posted during much longer stints in lower leagues. He started out great last year but iirc he faded a bit towards the end of the year. I'm wondering if maybe Dobby does well in bursts (maybe fueled by adrenaline? or short term hyper focused?) but can't sustain that great play over a longer period of time. 

Total speculation here, and I wish him well with the Ducks. At least we got him some decent guaranteed money on a 1-way contract.

I like Dobby but I like this move. We acquire in Lack a goalie that should be able to challenge for the starters job. With Wards contract in the air it also gives RF options if Ward-o talks don't go well. If we do extend Ward-o all the better.

Dobby was in a great spot last season to take the starter job away from Ward-0 and he didn't do it. I think we have a GM who expects players to make the most of their opportunities or seek employment elsewhere.

I might be reading too much into the move but that is what I think

I will miss Dobby. I think he was good for the locker-room. Its been a while since we had someone who could lend a sense of humor (The Wizard) and loosen things up in the locker-room. I agree he missed a genuine opportunity to take the crease away from Cam at the beginning of the season, as neither really started out very well. Cam got better and Dobby leveled off.

I kinda agree that RF has a short leash concerning "take the opportunity and run with it or go play somewhere else" attitude. If this was truly the case, why is Semin still here? Perhaps he being given one final chance? Can't hide behind wrist surgery/other mysterious injury since his health should be 100%. Guess we'll see what shakes out by training camp.

If Ward gets an extension, I wouldn't go more than 2-3 seasons, with an increase only if he helps us get into the playoffs and into later rounds.

Edited by hopper915

On the one hand I see the benefit of the goalie moves.  On the other hand, I liked Dobby and am a bit sorry to see him go.  He had that dry, sarcastic sense of humor (e.g., Dobby telling Nestrasil that the Canes had a good insurance plan and that Nesty could get that gap in his teeth fixed :grin: ).

Of course, when it comes down to it, hockey trumps personalities.

You haven't been exposed to Eddie Lack yet.  That guy is frikin hilarious.  Follow some of his tweets and you won't be disappointed.  He's going to be every bit of a locker room guy and then some.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Is Wisniewski enough on defence? May not be a trade but hopefully one more defenseman is coming for the short run. Maybe in free agency.

Edited by remkin

Love the move for Lack, that was a steal. Lack is a good, competitive goalie that could be our starter. He was really liked in Vancouver.

Not a fan of the Wiesnewski deal. Not because of what we gave up since we got Lack, but because Wiz is poor defensively and is prone to bouts of laziness. He was a healthy scratch for Anaheim at the end of the season and throughout the playoffs IIRC, despite his sizeable contract.

Maybe he is anxious to get his career back on track, and he will be highly motivated. He should also be fairly rested/less recent wear and tear. He sounds excited to be here, getting another chance to play consistent minutes.

As Coastal said, he does possess a booming shot and is decent overall offensively. Should be good on the PP. It's his defense and inconsistency that is the real concern.

Still, we needed defense and hopefully it works out. We still need to sign or trade for another defenseman IMO.

Anyway, I'm really pumped to get Lack and I'll try to be optimistic about Wiesnewski.

This off of TheHockeyNews:  http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/despite-thin-free-agent-class-were-in-for-a-hectic-of-a-summer/

What GMs are realizing is the longer they wait through the summer on the big names such as Phil Kessel, Patrick Sharp and Jeff Skinner, the lower the price is going to be for them. And as teams get closer to the season with salary cap or budget problems, the more likely they’re going to be to unload them. Most people expected Sharp to be dealt this weekend, but the Blackhawks are going to have to come down on their price. The same goes with Kessel in Toronto and Skinner, a young player the Carolina Hurricanes basically offered to every team in the league and one who will probably be dealt at some point in the off-season.

That's a lot harsher than anything I've read to this point.  I wonder what GMRFs take on Skinner really is?

I highly doubt they literally offered Skinner to "every team in the league". That was just a totally unnecessary and ugly statement. He probably just let it be known generally that he could be moved. I hope we keep him for this season anyway, to see if he bounces back. I think they need to give him time. He's very young and talented, and on a good contract if he regains his scoring touch.

Apparently Ken Campbell read's Eklund's columns as one of his sources.

I have no doubt Skinner's being shopped for the best deal possible because frankly if RF isn't exploring everything on everyone he would be failing us.

I also find it interesting Staal/Cam weren't resolved before the draft. I would have to believe RF wanted answers on that front prior to the draft. With Lack coming in I have to believe Cam's talks are breaking down and we're getting a head start on checking out a new starter.

If I'm Cam I take whatever RF's offering. I don't see him getting another starting gig, I see him being a backup goalie the rest of his career anywhere else and we all know if Cam's not playing 10+ games in a row he's not very good.

That's from Cam's standpoint, from our standpoint I say we explore all options to move him. By the time we're back in the playoffs it's too likely Cam would also be done. May as well find a new younger starter while we don't expect to be playoff hotshots.

It would be nice to be privy to all the trade offers that were made. When we got Lack, I thought we might be ready to move Ward right then and go Dobby and Lack. That would have freed some serious cap space for a UFA Dman.  I guess last year was just not good enough, and time was up for Dobby. But if we are not going to come to terms w/ Ward, I wonder what kind of offers GMRF has gotten on  him.  He didn't light the world on fire last year, but after October he was a decent enough starter for a bunch of teams. I wondered if we could have gotten a late first rounder for Ward. 

I guess the question is if we don't have Ward in the long term plan, then when move him? If he'll allow a move and there is return I would think soon....but then we'd have to get another goalie. i really don't know. Ward and Lack really should be a good tandem. 

On Skinner, I'm far from opposed to any trade, but his potential is still very high, and getting a light return for him would be a major mistake that I don't think Francis will make. Skinner has a way of working hard offseason and coming in looking really good. If he can stay healthy and figure out at least a little how to fit in w/ Peter's system and play at least a little defense, he could have a breakout year this year. 

My notion of trading Skinner was based on if we ended up w/ Marner. Now, I don't trade him. It is selling low, he is young and has huge upside, and we need goals.

Francis is doing really well overall, but the build on defense is at least a couple years off. For this year's team, if he could find a good d man in UFA and maybe a value forward, the team could surprise. Of course still have Semin around the neck at this point. Work to do still, but a good draft period. 

Edited by remkin

Ward was not going to bring a late 1st rounder if you look at the return that goalies normally bring, and then factor in his high salary and middle of the road performance of late.  Ronnie just sent a 3rd and a 7th for a $1.3M goalie to take the starting job.  At this point, I think the best thing is for Peters to platoon the two goalies.  If Cam can be productive, maybe he has value by the trade deadline and he would welcome the opportunity to show to a playoff team (and the league GMs and their check books) that he is still a quality NHL goalie on a playoff team.  By this time, I hope Lack has played well and has gotten a contract extension so Cam knows the door is being held open for him in Raleigh.

Maybe Francis can work another miracle and trade him for a decent d-man and eat some salary.  He'd then need to find a 2nd goalie.

SD you're probably right based, as you mention, on how little we gave up for Lack. Also moving Cam would create the need to go find another goalie. He probably stays. Then the question is whether he extends. Might be unlikely, but we just don't know.

Just would be interesting to be able to apply Cam's salary to another needed piece for the team. 

Still, the trading of Dobby instead of Cam probably means Cam stays at least at first.

To me, it would be silly to extend Ward before the end of the upcoming season.  We just traded for the best goaltender this franchise has seen since Ward, and I think we should give Lack the same chance to be extended as Ward.  Besides, Cam's not in a huge demand from other teams, and probably won't go for that much in FA anyways.  We should just let the goaltending situation ride out through the season.  Also, we shouldn't extend Cam based off of the 1st good season he's had in the last 4 or 5yrs.  To me he still has to prove himself.

Why we even consider extending Ward now?  Can't see that happening.  What I can see is Cam relegated to the backup role based on play, and then he goes for the same peanuts at the trade deadline that we doled out to get Lack.

My take: Cam stays, unextended - unless he is willing to take a $2 million haircut now, which he may be. I think Peters wants Ward and Lack, and, while there may be some competition, that the idea is to platoon. Cam took a huge step last year; he left the acrobatics that had contributed to his injuries behind and was an absolutely solid keeper in terms of fundamentals and positioning. If he can continue that, there is no reason he cannot play an NHL workload (45-60 games) for many years to come. And what a boon to Lack's future to work with and watch a guy who is making the same transition that he (Lack) will have to make to also have a career that lasts into his 30s - something much harder for a big keeper, because the rigors of the job take a bigger toll on their knees.

My thinking (and hope) is that whether we extend Cam now or give him (and us) a few months into the new season to make sure his transition is complete, the pay cut he'll agree to take allows us to have the goaltending duo that carries us for the next five years and gives our AHL keepers the time they need to mature.

Edited by top-shelf-1

My take: Cam stays, unextended - unless he is willing to take a $2 million haircut now, which he may be.

Are you suggesting a $4M a year extension on Ward?  If so, I think you need to wait until later in the day (especially on Sunday) to start the heavy drinking.  If Lack takes the bull by the horns and also the starting job, do you want a $4M backup goalie?  There is no reason to do anything about a contract with Ward now.  If they want to extend somebody now, I'd much rather it be Lack on a reasonable raise from his current deal.  Heck, you could double his current deal for about 3 years and be good.

Frankly what's been set up is pure genius, 2 UFA goalies who have everything to prove fighting for one starting job and not only the starting job but their next contract.

The goalie who loses will likely have a heckuva time finding a contract as a backup goalie nevermind a starting gig.

All of this in a year where if the goaltending is supbar we have no chance. So naturally make two goalies fight over themselves for their next paycheck.

If Eddie Lack was on the market and the best offer was ours Cam has/had no chance of ever being moved at 6.8 mil. But we already knew that, its just kinda been confirmed.

Edited by legend-1

Frankly what's been set up is pure genius, 2 UFA goalies who have everything to prove fighting for one starting job and not only the starting job but their next contract.

Are you suggesting a $4M a year extension on Ward?  If so, I think you need to wait until later in the day (especially on Sunday) to start the heavy drinking.  

Nice. 

I'm saying anything over that is not good, but also that Eddie Lack is where Khudo was when we got him: He has stepped in and made a contribution with his former team in place of the number one. That didn't make Khudo a number one and we have no proof Lack is one, either.

Khudo had his chance to stay with the Canes last season and blew it. Now Lack is getting the same chance.

Now, where'd I put that #$%@ bottle...

Edited by top-shelf-1

Nice. 

I'm saying anything over that is not good, but also that Eddie Lack is where Khudo was when we got him: He has stepped in and made a contribution with his former team in place of the number one. That didn't make Khudo a number one and we have no proof Lack is one, either.

Khudo had his chance to stay with the Canes last season and blew it. Now Lack is getting the same chance.

Now, where'd I put that #$%@ bottle...

Well Dobby and Lack have nearly identical career stats(although Khudobin has played 9 more games and faced 500 more shots)  Perhaps waiting on extensions is a good idea

Well Dobby and Lack have nearly identical career stats(although Khudobin has played 9 more games and faced 500 more shots)  Perhaps waiting on extensions is a good idea

Don't get me wrong, cause I like Dobby and predict a bounce back year for him this year. But looking at the stats, while career stats are close, they are heading in different directions and in a "what have you done for me lately" vein:

Last Year:

Dobby: 34 gp: .900 save %, 2.72 GAA

Lack: 41 gp: .921 save %, 2.42 GAA

In fact Lack's save % last year was tied for #12 in the league of all goalies with at least 25 starts. Tied with Varlomov and Luongo, and .001 behind Lundquist, Rask, and Craig Anderson.

Lack has that bigger frame that seems to be the trend now also, while Dobby does not. Also there is some good reasons besides stats to think Lack is on the rise. One is if you beleive in this, head trajectory. An article from the Vancover postion on a posslbe Lack trade quoted:

one of the main reasons Lack will be better is he went out of his way to learn about the new goaltending technique called Head Trajectory this summer.

This (Head Trajectory) is a very specific thing that Eddie has added to his repertoire,” says Woodley. “A lot of the things I pointed out as faults (in his game) at the end of the season are going to improve, if not be perfect by next year.”

“I can point at three or four goals that were scored on him in the playoffs that wouldn’t have gone in if he had this in his repertoire a year earlier. I honestly believe that.”

Head Trajectory, combined with Lack’s size, athleticism and desire to constantly improve will propel him to long term NHL success"

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2015/06/canucks-may-trade-eddie-lack-today/

Lack seems to be hitting his stride. Dobby has wobbled and needs to get it back.

Edited by remkin