The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

Rumors and Trade Deadline Talk

I don't think Skinner cheats. I think he draws these penalties because he is such a dynamic player. We haven't had that since Erik Cole. Man his burst speed was incredible 1 on 1.

Earlier in the year when we beat the Pens I enjoyed it so much I watched some of it again with the Pens announcers because they are such homers and I love hearing them lament a loss to the lowly Canes.

Anyway, Skinner drew two penalties that game and the announces said Skinner is "one of the great divers in our league." So his reputation may be out there...although it is the Pens embarrassingly biased commentary.

Still, like others have said if he's not being called for embellishment then hey, good for us.

However, part of me knows this is "unsportsmanlike" and it's not something exhibited by a leader.

I just wish our PP could take advantage more often.

What in the world did Skinner ever do to you?

Skinner's game has probably improved more than any other player on the team since Peters took over, so I think the bashing is a bit overdone.

And Pittsburgh is notorious for their terrible announcers.  A team with Sidney Crosby calling a player on another team a great diver is the pot calling the kettle black.  I'm interested to see how many times Skinner's been called for embellishment in his career, and how many times he's been penalized by the league for diving?

Remkin said it best, Skinner has a style of play that involves trying to split traffic, play in traffic, and an overall unorthodox skating style that contribute to him drawing penalties.  He doesn't go around flopping and flailing his arm, and has improved leaps and bounds since his first couple seasons complaining to refs and losing his temper on the ice.

Skinner is not our enemy.

Ring my bell with 3 concussions and i'll show you soft.  As far as diving, he draws penalties by keeping his feet moving.- sure beats flailing to the ice.  Whining- not in a good while.  When he first broke in, sure, but he was what, about 6 sat the time?  Selfish?  He's our leading goal scorer - would you rather have him pass every time he gets the puck so Forslund can tell us 'one pass too many'?

I don't see the issues with Skinner.  Throw a couple 40-goal-scorers out there and we can talk shop about what to do with problem child Skinner.  Until then, i'm all in.

Scouts (15) at #Flames/#Canes game – Chi (2), Buf (2), Phi, Det, Wpg, NYR, Ari, TB, Ott, Mon, Min, NJ, Edm.

I don't think they saw much out of Carolina

Welp, there go the offers.  Aside for Hudler and Ramo of course, but they don't really concern us...

Welp, there go the offers.  Aside for Hudler and Ramo of course, but they don't really concern us...

Calgary announced it was selling before the all-star break.

Calgary announced it was selling before the all-star break.

Didn't realize that.  Good deal, maybe that means the scouts weren't paying much attention to the Hurricanes yet...

Very very interesting discussion I've just read about over on Hockeybuzz authored by Ryan Wilson. the gest of it is that Pittsburg is currently suffering from Malkin's injured knee, thus their CENTER DEPTH has been significantly affected?? Now, wouldn't that be the height of irony if our old friend, JR, came knocking on RF's door for a trade for his boy? Hmmmm

You know it's not totally crazy. E could hold down the fort for a bubble team where heads will roll if they miss the playoffs, and if Malkin gets back they would be crazy strong down the middle. For us, we'd have to be bailing on the playoffs to not only let him go, but strengthen a team in our division. But then, the price should be high. Their first round pick plus a very good prospect.

Full disclosure, I've not looked at their prospects or even if they have a pick...

Hard to see us doing it just yet since we're still in it, but if E was ready to waive? Depending on the "haul" JR might pony up? I'd look at it. Then next year, they'd have even less room than us for E and he can come back to play wing for $6 mll/year with no NTC and an A on his jersey.

Very very interesting discussion I've just read about over on Hockeybuzz authored by Ryan Wilson. the gest of it is that Pittsburg is currently suffering from Malkin's injured knee, thus their CENTER DEPTH has been significantly affected?? Now, wouldn't that be the height of irony if our old friend, JR, came knocking on RF's door for a trade for his boy? Hmmmm

I believe they expected him to be out only for two games.That leaves the Penguins without No. 2 center Malkin, No. 3 center Fehr who is out for a month.  Pitt has two tough road games back to back, the Lightning who are 9-1-0 in the last 10 and tomorrow against Florida who is 

6-3-1 in the last 10.

You know it's not totally crazy. E could hold down the fort for a bubble team where heads will roll if they miss the playoffs, and if Malkin gets back they would be crazy strong down the middle. For us, we'd have to be bailing on the playoffs to not only let him go, but strengthen a team in our division. But then, the price should be high. Their first round pick plus a very good prospect.

Full disclosure, I've not looked at their prospects or even if they have a pick...

Hard to see us doing it just yet since we're still in it, but if E was ready to waive? Depending on the "haul" JR might pony up? I'd look at it. Then next year, they'd have even less room than us for E and he can come back to play wing for $6 mll/year with no NTC and an A on his jersey.

Pittsburgh doesn't have their first this year. You forget who is now their GM  :) Their prospects are pretty bare as well. JR has only been there for about 1.5 years, but he's already doing more damage than good with that team. Which I am not complaining.

If EStaal is traded, it should be for no less than a 1st plus an A or B level prospect.

Pittsburgh doesn't have their first this year. You forget who is now their GM  :) Their prospects are pretty bare as well. JR has only been there for about 1.5 years, but he's already doing more damage than good with that team. Which I am not complaining.

If EStaal is traded, it should be for no less than a 1st plus an A or B level prospect.

Yeah, it's funny, but I put the disclaimer in there because I seemed to remember that, but didn't have time to check. Well in that case it doesn't make any sense......nevermind.....well at least not from our end...unless...a three way! OK, that's pushing it.

Edited by remkin

5 Reasons Why The Trade Deadline May Be Uneventful.

Below is a link on why the trade deadline could be uneventful. As I have stated previously the cap issue does come into play for several teams this year and also in the future as teams are projecting their young talent. Teams are also very leary about giving up their 1st or second round picks. 

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/2016/02/05/five-reasons-nhl-trade-deadline-could-uneventful/79872812/

The Canes can still eat half the salary on a trade, which minimizes the cap issue.  I still don't know why RF retained salary on the Harrison trade last year.  His salary was low, but it ties up the possibility of retaining salary on another deal.  A team can retain on 3 players, and the Canes are retaining on Ruutu and Harrison. The actual money isn't a big deal, but it makes the numbers work for the receiving team on a possible trade of a big dollar guy.

Edited by super_dave_1

I saw this on Spectors Hockey this morning

If the Toronto Maple Leafs decide to trade pending UFA goalie James Reimer, the Calgary Flames and Carolina Hurricanes could be interested.

Only a rumor of course but so out of the blue it makes you wonder.  I'm scratching my head!

The Canes can still eat half the salary on a trade, which minimizes the cap issue.  I still don't know why RF retained salary on the Harrison trade last year.  His salary was low, but it ties up the possibility of retaining salary on another deal.  A team can retain on 3 players, and the Canes are retaining on Ruutu and Harrison. The actual money isn't a big deal, but it makes the numbers work for the receiving team on a possible trade of a big dollar guy.

I was looking at this generally across the NHL, not specifically to Eric. I would not want to retain any salary on Eric,hoping for a clean separation.

Only a rumor of course but so out of the blue it makes you wonder.  I'm scratching my head!

Doesn't make sense to me but what do I know. I think there was also an article a few days ago about  Byfuglien coming to the Canes.

Edited by slapshot02

That makes as much sense as a double-decker outhouse.

Unless it is part of a salary dump or three way. I have to think that even if we trade Ward we would look at Altshuller next before picking up a Leaf cast off.

I was looking at this generally across the NHL, not specifically to Eric. I would not want to retain any salary on Eric,hoping for a clean separation.

The thing is that with E you would only retain salary until the end of the season. It would still be a clean out.

The thing is that with E you would only retain salary until the end of the season. It would still be a clean out.

Yeah, that.

Retaining salary could really increase the return.

Couple of interesting factoids today. 1st Winnipeg apparently resigned Byfuglien today to a king's ransom, and still face the prospect of having to do something with Andrew Ladd.

2nd, it's reported that Alex Pietrangelo of Blues may be out for quite some time, tying up some of the potential trade fodder they had to play with.

So, what does this all mean? Not sure, but am wondering if that cuts down on suitors for Drouin, should the Canes wish to make a play? I'm not advocating that, mind you, but there have been a few discussions on here on this player.

Edited by KJUNKANE

Joe Smith @TBTimes_JSmith 30m30 minutes ago

BREAKING: #tblightning Yzerman releases statement that Steven Stamkos will not be traded by Feb 29 trade deadline

Frank Seravalli@frank_seravalli 30m30 minutes ago

Complete statement from Steve Yzerman:

CbRdwV8XEAEEiTQ.png

So Stamkos is out of the mix. Did E's value just go up?

So Stamkos is out of the mix. Did E's value just go up?

It sure doesn't hurt.

Despite all my caution about Drouin, Eric for Drouin straight up is a low-risk deal with potentially great upside for both clubs. I'd do it in a heartbeat. Although they supposedly want D.

Edited by top-shelf-1