The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

Rumors and Trade Deadline Talk

Well, in years past we have been hoping that the team would get better results without making changes, or at least any significant changes.  That ship has now sailed and kudos to RF for having the cones to pull the trigger.  Yeah, the rest of the season may or may not be very entertaining for us to watch but we are heading down a new path now.  I like it, I am anxious to see what else he can do to get this team headed in the right direction.  The future looks better....and younger.  We will have an opportunity to weed out the AHL'ers for the remainder of the season.  We will get a good evaluation to know what needs to stay and what needs to go.  As they say, it takes 5 miles to turn around a battle ship.  I think the USS Hurricane has tipped a bow now.

And the opposite was what JR did in the lock out year, when he went in for "a deep run into the playoffs" and it was not only an illusion, it heavily damaged the team for years hence.

Yes it does stink.  Very much so.  We are all mourning this BS.  Let's just hope that in 5 years, our biggest problem as a fan base will be where to find the money to pay for the enormous amount of playoff games we'll be constantly having to buy.

If we continue to lose I doubt we will have a team to watch 5 years from now...

Wish I could get excited with you guys about icing an AHL line up and hoping a decent UFA or two wants to come here this summer. Or that we can land something good in a trade without giving up Skinner. That's all, sad times for the Hurricanes in my opinion. Imagine the excitement in NY after landing E. Staal and heading to the playoffs with that monster line up. Read that MSG cheered every time E. touched the puck last night. I'm jealous. Not that I want him back, but I'm just sick of having nothing good going on here with the Canes. At least we had reason to watch games in Jan. and Feb. this year. Only friggin bright spot in years. Baaahhh, feeling negative man.

NYR are built how our team is being built, blueline first. Bright future ahead for us and as great as it would be to be in win now mode I would gladly be in our shoes over theirs. We are sitting a year or two from being true contenders in the East while the Rangers, with the Eric and Yandle's contracts running out, have to win this year, or at the very least soon. Once Lundqvist is gone the rebuild for them starts, a complete rebuild, the have limited prospect depth already and are trading picks like they are going out of style.

As bad is it seems that we haven't been to the playoffs since '09 we have to realize its just how hockey works. Went to the ECF in '09 and barely missed the playoffs for the couple years following, we then entered a rebuild phase and now are starting to see the fruits of the rebuild.

As much as it'd be nice to be a Rangers fan today, they are going to trend downward in coming years, we are clearly on the up turn!

About all Francis could do last summer is kick the can down the road. Now he has the opportunity to mold this team into his model of an NHL team. Very few teams start a rebuild with the pieces the Canes currently have on hand. This year's success was really a surprise to this fan, and I still don't think they remaining crowd is going to give up. Francis would have probably kept the band together if they were in a playoff position. Being out, with games out of hand, and significant injuries, he made the moves he had to make.

I feel better about the team, the organization as a whole, and it's future here than I have felt in a long time.

For me the day after trade deadline is like waking up after a night on the town. Your head is fuzzy and as the haze begins to lift you ask yourself OMG what have I done.  Yet you know with a little time everything will be better tomorrow.

Sportsclubstats has our weighted chances of making the playoffs currently at 2.5%. Our chance of making the playoffs and getting out of the first round, was less then 1% in my opinion, before the trades, just given the injuries.

Add to that the injuries to key players, and that the team was flattening out even before that?

Just imagine how we'd feel in the next several games as our playoff chances slipped below the waterline, but we still had a disgruntled Eric Staal trying to explain our last loss, a "biding my time till I'm out of here" Versteeg, etc.

What a toxic environment that would have been. Then, still having to deal with Eric over the summer from that position? Not getting to see our yutes? Winning just enough games to stay out of the juicy draft picks? Not to mention not picking up those picks and prospects?

This was without question, the way it needed to go.

Rip that final bandaid off in one quick motion.

Edited by remkin

If we continue to lose I doubt we will have a team to watch 5 years from now...

From Blackhawks Wiki:

"A somber note was struck in February 2004 when ESPN named the Blackhawks the worst franchise in professional sports.[11] Indeed, the Blackhawks were viewed with much indifference by Chicagoans for much of the 1990s and early 2000s due to anger over several policies instituted by then-owner Bill Wirtz (derisively known as "Dollar Bill")....Following the lockout of the 2004–05 season, new GM Dale Tallon set about restructuring the team in the hopes of making a playoff run. Tallon made several moves in the summer of 2005, most notably the signing of Tampa Bay Lightning Stanley Cup-winning goaltender Nikolai Khabibulin and All-Star defenseman Adrian Aucoin. However, injuries plagued Khabibulin and Aucoin, among others, and the Blackhawks again finished well out of the playoffs with a 26–43–13 record – next-to-last in the Western Conference and the second-worst in the NHL

This happens in hockey, attendance drops and things look gloomy when teams play bad. No indications from Karmanos, the NHL or any other relevant party suggest anything other than the Canes staying in Raleigh.

Wish I could get excited with you guys about icing an AHL line up and hoping a decent UFA or two wants to come here this summer. Or that we can land something good in a trade without giving up Skinner. That's all, sad times for the Hurricanes in my opinion. Imagine the excitement in NY after landing E. Staal and heading to the playoffs with that monster line up. Read that MSG cheered every time E. touched the puck last night. I'm jealous. Not that I want him back, but I'm just sick of having nothing good going on here with the Canes. At least we had reason to watch games in Jan. and Feb. this year. Only friggin bright spot in years. Baaahhh, feeling negative man.

There's a lot to be excited about with this team. This team is doing something it's never done before, which is a rebuild. This team has 11 draft picks in the draft, something JR has never accomplished.

The team also has young depth on the back end that have already made an impact on the game. They're production gives us extra cap flexibility for years to come. We have a 23 yr old all star on D, and a load of solid prospects.

This team is finally being comprised of players the Hurricanes actually drafted. Skinner, Lindholm, PDG, Faulk, Hanifin, Pesce, Slavin, Cam, McGinn, Murphy, Rask.

For the first time in a very long time, this team is not bogged down with terrible contracts. Even with our self-imposed cap, we should still have close to $30mil to spend, with another $10 coming off the books next year in Hainsey, Wiz, and McClement. Could he go after the big names like Stamkos? Yes. Would they sign in Carolina? Maybe. One thing I've learned about sports is UFA's always follow the money. And in this new cap era, the NY's, LA's, MTL's, CHI's don't have the room to sign these guys. All the top UFA's are going to mid-level to small market teams.

All I know is this could be the wildest offseason we've had. The fact is we have to sign some guys. We all assumed Eric would come back, and he still may, but indications are he's not. With all the draft picks available, I think RF maybe inclined to move up in the draft, or trade some picks for roster players.

Also, this team has proven that it can be competitive with most of the major contributors being our youth. To me, these are very exciting times.

From Blackhawks Wiki:

"A somber note was struck in February 2004 when ESPN named the Blackhawks the worst franchise in professional sports.[11] Indeed, the Blackhawks were viewed with much indifference by Chicagoans for much of the 1990s and early 2000s due to anger over several policies instituted by then-owner Bill Wirtz (derisively known as "Dollar Bill")....Following the lockout of the 2004–05 season, new GM Dale Tallon set about restructuring the team in the hopes of making a playoff run. Tallon made several moves in the summer of 2005, most notably the signing of Tampa Bay Lightning Stanley Cup-winning goaltender Nikolai Khabibulin and All-Star defenseman Adrian Aucoin. However, injuries plagued Khabibulin and Aucoin, among others, and the Blackhawks again finished well out of the playoffs with a 26–43–13 record – next-to-last in the Western Conference and the second-worst in the NHL

This happens in hockey, attendance drops and things look gloomy when teams play bad. No indications from Karmanos, the NHL or any other relevant party suggest anything other than the Canes staying in Raleigh.

You just compared a traditional hockey market in a HUGE city to a non traditional hockey market in a small southern city.  You can't do that.  Just wait until we have 3 more non playoff seasons.  I am not spending any money on this team anymore until they show me they are committed to putting a quality product on the ice by making some major acquisitions this off season via free agency.

Edited by bluedevil58

You just compared a traditional hockey market in a HUGE city to a non traditional hockey market in a small southern city.  You can't do that.  Just wait until we have 3 more non playoff seasons.  I am not spending any money on this team anymore until they show me they are committed to putting a quality product on the ice by making some major acquisitions this off season via free agency.

The point BBC makes is that the Blackhawks haven't always been the three-Cups-in-six-years juggernaut that they are now. In the early 2000s, they were a sad shadow of their former selves, and though Dale Tallon tried to bootstrap the team to greatness again by signing Khabibulin and Aucoin (presumably to fat contracts, since the former was coming off a Cup win and the latter was an All-Star), he and the team were bitten by the risk he decided to take.

Sound like anyone we know and are happy is elsewhere now? Maybe someone with the initials JR?

Sure would be nice if the Hurricanes can replicate the success of the Blackhawks - but remember, it took the 'hawks a few years to become what they are now.

I understand the point you're making - it's been seven years since the last playoffs for the Hurricanes and the talk of expansion engenders speculation on underperforming teams in non-traditional markets moving in hopes of becoming more lucrative - but if that hasn't happened in seven years, why would the probability suddenly skyrocket now?

Edited by JonKerfoot

It will start now because as the team continues to miss the playoffs which I might add will happen the next 3 years.  Attendance will go down and down to the point where the team is no longer sustainable in this market and will start to look elsewhere.

It will start now because as the team continues to miss the playoffs which I might add will happen the next 3 years.  Attendance will go down and down to the point where the team is no longer sustainable in this market and will start to look elsewhere.

We get you and other's points.

So how should RF fix it?????????????????????????? 

We get you and other's points.

So how should RF fix it??????????????????????????

I think he is in the process of fixing it. I wouldn't be suprised if next year is somewhat like this year. I think we will continue to make progress, but, most likely, miss the playoffs. I think the season after that we will see what Ronnie has built, and that will be the start of making the playoffs a regular thing. There have been some frustrations this year, but there have also been some pleasant suprises. I think this team is definitely going in the right direction.

It's hard to disagree, but I will to a point. Look, this team this season had very little chance of the playoffs, but up until the Faulk injury, they were still in the mix. NHL.com even had them as a 'might make it' feel-good story a couple weeks ago. Of course, that's all gone with the trade fire-sale now and appropriately so. To say that playoff missing will continue for another three years will mean a big failure of the coach, GM, and scouts. All of them failing is possible, for sure, but with the steps taken this season, I'm hoping (perhaps naively so) a little less likely.

Attendance is the more troubling thing. The Hurricanes are DEAD LAST in the league by a HUGE MARGIN...more that 1200 less than the next worst team, Arizona. More that 1200 less!!! Even the long stretch of better play and playoff talk did little to improve attendance. Canes marketing did a major misstep and misreading of the market with the big off season price hikes. Even if the playoffs come sooner, will the fans return in big enough numbers to save the franchise? I'm no longer sure...

Since the team actually carried hope through late February I thought I'd look at the early season posts over in the 2015/16 In-season talk thread.  It was fun, and at times very funny given what we know now.

There are many posts to humble us all, regardless of perspective.

Since the team actually carried hope through late February I thought I'd look at the early season posts over in the 2015/16 In-season talk thread.  It was fun, and at times very funny given what we know now.

There are many posts to humble us all, regardless of perspective.

I took a look.  Your right.  Pretty good stuff, LOL.

I took a look.  Your right.  Pretty good stuff, LOL.

I looked too. Had to quit when I ran across a post from one of our current Chicken Littles who was wondering if EStaal was going to screw the Canes by refusing to waive his NTC. Hilarious.

I'm big on 'keeping it real', and i never bought into the playoff push - they made a nice run at it but the hole was too deep and the only reason they looked like they were close was the games in hand.  Nor did i expect or even need playoffs - i said from the start this was a building season where the focus needed to remain on the future with the unlikely playoff run being gravy. 

That said, i'm going on a limb and saying unless injuries really take over next season, i see playoffs.  Not a deep run just yet, but playoffs.  We have a solid defensive core made up of rookies who will be a year wiser next season, along with a trio that may do just the same next year in FLeury, McKeown, and Carrick.  We have the DiGiuseppes, the McGinns, and a slew of draft picks that could be trade bait and a lot of saved money that could perhaps turn into a UFA or two.

It's rainbows, puppies, and lollipops with me, kids...

I looked too. Had to quit when I ran across a post from one of our current Chicken Littles who was wondering if EStaal was going to screw the Canes by refusing to waive his NTC. Hilarious.

Yep and the Peters must go chants.