The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

Rumors and Trade Deadline Talk

Spector's Hockey posted this from TSN

Pierre LeBrun reports Eric Staal’s agent is expected to meet with Carolina Hurricanes GM Ron Francis to discuss the center’s future. Staal has a year left on his contract and is eligible next summer for UFA status. “Either the Hurricanes get him signed to an extension – and by the way, at a cheaper rate than they have him now – or it’s time to put him on the trade block. He has a full no-trade,” reports LeBrun.

Spector's Hockey posted this from TSN

Either the Hurricanes get him signed to an extension – and by the way, at a cheaper rate than they have him now – or it’s time to put him on the trade block. He has a full no-trade,” reports LeBrun.

Exactly.

Really have to know what the plan is with Staal and then most of the other pieces can fall into place.

If we do trade E. maybe we could turn the tables on Toronto. E for the #4 pick. Straight up. Maybe has to be a sign and trade so they get E for a while. Trade Cam for a late first rounder too. We pick 4, 5, and say around #22, and then #35. Then two first rounders next year.

With a little luck we get Hanifin and Marner, another nice forward at #22 and say another dman at #35.

Just spitballin here..

That would be interesting, but Leafs have publicly committed to a full blown rebuild.  From what I've read, Shanahan promised Babcock such and that he wouldn't be pressured to take any shortcuts.  I'm guessing that a reversal now might cause riots in Toronto. 

Cody Hodgson being rumored to being bought out by Buffalo. Had horrible year last year on the stellar Sabres team(not), and said to have fallen out of favor there. 1st round pick in 08. Worth thinking about? Supposedly lost his confidence, and coach unable to motivate(sounds too familiar but at least there is no language barrier to excuse away play).

No thanks on Hodson.

He's a floater that has always left me very unimpressed. He seems to have no work-ethic, but maybe someone can get him motivated.

I don't want any player with a history of a questionable work-ethic brought here.

Bring in hard-working guys with potential skill rather than skill guys with a potential change in effort.

Edited by Kyrule

TSN has indicated Kessel has a list of eight teams he would be willing to be traded to. We aren't on it. You never know as things change but any trade rumor sending him to Raleigh might be optimistic..

Yeah, right now we're not going to be on many guy's would allow a trade to lists.

Another reason to step up and take the pick: Players tend to like to stay w/ the team that drafted them if that team treats them well and they win. Plus they have to stay until they're UFA's, and whille JR overdid it, at least the option of paying them to lock them down is there.

Still think JR did overpay on Staal and Ward and Staal and maybe even Skinner, but it is worth at least consdering that in this market there is a value in locking talent down. May not be able to keep them as UFA's, and can't draw them as UFA's. Thinking he could have at least skipped the NTC's, but then who knows?

Edited by remkin

My armchair stab:

Semin wont be moved for anything worth it

Trade Khudobin to Buffalo for the rights to Grigorenko and Meszaros. Buffalo doesnt plan on keepin Mes and the GM doesnt like Grigorenko.

Grig is risk/reward move. I think an offseason with Brindy would get him into shape to make the roster. Mes can either be a stop gap for Fluery or can stay longer if he turns his game around.

Trade Skins to Nashville for Ekholm and the rights to Wilson. Canes need to get younger on D and Ekholm is a good young defender. Wilson is a big guy that will work in our system moreso than Skins.

Sign Soderberg to be the shutdown line center @ 3 yrs, 9mil

Sign Wilson @ 3 yrs, 10.5 mil

Sign Mes to 2 years, 7 mil

Draft Crouse #5 if Hanifin is gone.

Staal/Staal/Semin

Wilson/Soderberg/Lindholm

Crouse/Rask/Grig or Nest

McClement/Malone/Gerbe

Hainsey/Faulk

Ekholm/Mes

Liles/Belemore

This is about a 66 million cap squad with a need for a backup goalie next season (counting Crouse's 3.5 mil cap hit). Should drop to 62 million cap for 2016 season when Ward and Staal's extensions kick in. Now if I was being real crazy, I would trade Liles for a lower pick and sign Sekera. Push hainsey to the 2nd line and Ekholm to the 3rd. It would cost the team another 3-3.5 mil in cap money.

The O isnt impressive with this squad but all lines can score, are bigger, and all play a pretty good 2 way game. Most importantly the D got better.

TSN has indicated Kessel has a list of eight teams he would be willing to be traded to. We aren't on it. You never know as things change but any trade rumor sending him to Raleigh might be optimistic..

I LOL'd last night listening to XM radio.  Scotty Laughlin said: "Well, when the season is over, the players take about 2 weeks off before getting back to their routine.  Unless you are Phil Kessel."

Kessel really has people peeved up there.  One complaint I keep hearing is he is afraid to make plays now because it puts him in danger of actually having to play or take a hit.

I don't know.  I don't see enough of Toronto.  But man this story sounds familiar and I don't want any part of it.

I LOL'd last night listening to XM radio.  Scotty Laughlin said: "Well, when the season is over, the players take about 2 weeks off before getting back to their routine.  Unless you are Phil Kessel."

Kessel really has people peeved up there.  One complaint I keep hearing is he is afraid to make plays now because it puts him in danger of actually having to play or take a hit.

I don't know.  I don't see enough of Toronto.  But man this story sounds familiar and I don't want any part of it.

I suppose the one advantage is he doesn't have to come with a translator ;)

From Mr. Eklund today.

"The Canes have told teams they will take an offer they can't refuse (in other words, a MAJOR return) to pry either Jeff Skinner or the Carolina first round pick away come the Draft next week. I am hearing that at least two teams are prepared to do just that.

More to come..."

I take that to mean we aren't actively shopping Skinner, but we'll listen. I'd be shocked if any team would offer a major return for Skinner. The 5th pick yes. Interesting that 2 teams are "prepared" to offer something major. Given the source and the lack of info or even a hint as to who the 2 teams are I'll wait for the "more to come" before I put much credence into it. Most of the commenters doubt we'd get much for Skinner given his concussion history and last years numbers.

From Mr. Eklund today.

"The Canes have told teams they will take an offer they can't refuse (in other words, a MAJOR return) to pry either Jeff Skinner or the Carolina first round pick away come the Draft next week. I am hearing that at least two teams are prepared to do just that.

More to come..."

I take that to mean we aren't actively shopping Skinner, but we'll listen. I'd be shocked if any team would offer a major return for Skinner. The 5th pick yes. Interesting that 2 teams are "prepared" to offer something major. Given the source and the lack of info or even a hint as to who the 2 teams are I'll wait for the "more to come" before I put much credence into it. Most of the commenters doubt we'd get much for Skinner given his concussion history and last years numbers.

Though he says Skins OR the pick, you have to think we'd package both for a killer return, and that such a package would be enticing to a team in retool or rebuild mode:

Buffalo: I suppose given his wacky comment of disappointment at "losing" McDavid, GM Murray is also wacky enough to give us their pick (Eichel) for Skinner and our first rounder. Of course, he'd never be safe on a Buffalo street again...

Edmonton: Nugent-Hopkins could be the odd man out, although I have to think they'll keep him if they can make the numbers work. Skinner makes the same money, so that solves nothing for the Oil. Throw in our pick though, and it could be attractive - and they could flip Skins to someone else for a song just to dump payroll, because they've got McD. And bringing RNH here would surely be a game-changer for us.

Phoenix: They are D-rich, not a one over 27 or under 6-2. Though the team itself may be, Ekman-Larsson isn't going anywhere - but to solidify our D, give it longevity, and develop our young D, I'd take any of the others in trade for Skinner and our pick, including the (calculated) risk of the very young but promising Connor Murphy (22, 6-4, 212 lbs). He was looking like the real deal in the second half, and is surely known to Faulk as a Hockey USA product. I'd probably need a good prospect or their second-rounder coming back, though.

Jersey: Talk about a really old team. The only two we'd want are the two they can't give up, Henrique and Larsson, who, with Gelinas, are the only three guys keeping their average age below 70. And Gelinas is promising, but he is not worth Skinner and the first-round pick, or even just one of the two.

Philly: I don't think they split up the Schenns. That leaves Coutourier, a nice big C who needs to shoot more (he scored 15 goals last year and converted over 10 percent of his shots), Voracek (no way) and Del Zotto (an O-contributing second-pair D-man who'd be great for us for the same reasons one of the Yotes' D would be, IMO).

Toronto: Kessel or Phaneuf? No thanks. And the few who interest me (Gardiner, Kadri, Van Riemsdyk) have to be the three they'll most likely keep.

Sharks: See Devils, above. Another rapidly aging team with little to offer in return.

And the winners are... The Oil and Yotes. (Philly's in our conference, or I'd include them, too.) **IF** RNH is on the move - and I'm still not sure he is, because if they can find a way to keep him, the Oil could put the Little Red-Haired Girl and Snoopy on D and still win hockey games - but IF they move him, they could flip Skins, solving their cap issue - and the deal would force Eric to take a big pay cut, and play the wing--or be traded. Put Jordan at #2, Lindy at 3, and the just-acquired Ryan in Skinner's slot, and the Canes are suddenly big, fast, and young down the middle.

As for the Yotes, they are D-rich, and our best D prospects are still years away. If we can pick up one of their experienced D, it would go a long way toward immediately making our back end much, much better. Liles and Hainsey are about done; Stone or Campbell would give us a solid second-pair guy to put with any of our yutes for years to come. With Faulk as the experienced first-pairing guy and Hlllen (assuming he sticks) as the third-pairing old hand, each of our young D can be paired with experience. If we traded away our pick AND Skinner for a younger Yote (Murphy or Dahlbeck) I'd want a good prospect or at least their second-round pick (this year) also coming back, just based on their ages and inexperience at this level. But for Stone or Campbell, I'd let the pick be a lot lower and the prospect could be merely decent. I'm not typically excited about D, because when it's good you don't notice it. And ours has gotten somewhat better, but we still have extremes in age and experience that must be addressed, toot sweet. Dealing Skins and our pick for a Yote D-man solves the problem.

However -- I also really like the idea of RNH and how it potentially solves the E. Staal conundrum.

First, wow Top. Very interesting analysis. Now, last time I dealved into the previous Eklund rumor, it got a little boistrous in here. Of course the idea of us ending up w/ RNH rather than Kessel, will surely be more acceptable. Plus, this one is much vaguer. Anyway, if you get that right you should win a biscuit or something.

Second, since Francis is generally so close to the vest, we are starved for any kind of rumors. So much so, that we get lulled into thinking maybe Eklund actually knows something this time. I mean it is possible. Just being known as a rumor guy, maybe someone throws you some real info every now and then? Nah.

Third, clearly it is just typical blather until he throws in there "two teams are prepared to do just that". GMs are always willing to listen. Never know, someone might just make a ridiculous offer. And saying that it would take a ridiculous offer, is pretty normal and boring, BUT to not only say that some teams are interested, but to say TWO (specific number, implying he knows 'which' two) is much much much more intriguing. Of course Eklund knows that and while he may not be great at actulally having accurate information, he is very good at titilation.

Fourth, I do have two minds on this team. I don't know what GMRF thinks, but to me there are two ways forward, and they depend on Eric Staal's willingess to re-sign with a much more cap and trade friendly extension.

1. If E will sign for a deal more in line with his recent productivity (and including his plus minus stats) and drop the NTC, I think this team is in retool still. Some may be frustrated by that, and indeed a good argument can be made that E. is not the face of the franchise type uber Captain to "lead us forward". But he is a first line center (or winger). He is our top scorer bascially every year. And if he is willing to come in at a more reasonable number w/ no NTC he can be traded if it fails again.

This team really might not survive a "blow it up" rebuild. That might be best in the long run, but would take at least 3 years of losing hockey and empty PNC to do it. (Say we pick Hanifin. He and Fleury and McKeown might be comfortably playing in 1-2 years, but not likely at peak form yet. Plus, if we trade E. for picks, will also lose a lot of offense immediately, on an offense starved team no less. If we strike out in UFA on replacing Sekera, and trade E., like it or not, the team that will be set to pick #5 will be notably wearker this year.

So in this scenario, where E (and clearly J) stays, we could tweak and retool. This could mean deals that get us offensively gifted players now: RNH, or other, or (don't shoot me) Kessel/Kadri for our pick or our pick and a sweetener to add Skinner is not crazy.

This scenario could involve moving Skinner, but that would be more of a lateral move. Skinner could benefit from the right team around him, and as much fun as prime time Skinner is, the concussions and the unconventional nature of his skill set hasn't had things going as planned here. The only problem is selling low, but in this case GMRF is clearly saying "you will have to value Skinner for what he can be, not what he was last year". Skinner is so young and so talented that we MUST get good return on him, or it will burn GMRF for years as his first substancial trade.

Adding Skinner to the #5 pick should really return a bit of a haul. Probabably a top 6 forward AND a top 4 defenseman.

2. E. wants too much, or GMRF doesn't really want to keep the Staal squared or even E as captain thing going. E cannot or will not be re signed. Then it is easy. The only reason not to trade him (outside of his NTC, thanks for that JR), is if we think we're going on a cup run next year. And while a few moves and some luck could get this team into the playoffs this year (in a league where over half the teams make it), we are not a cup contender, even on the Island. So it ONLY makes sense to get some return on E. this year. Some say there is no rush. But there is if you want more first round draft picks in this draft. In the next 5 days kind of rush. But even if there is no rush, if two teams are prepared to make a run at our pick/ and or Skinner, well that's what you need for a bidding war.

So while E himself is not part of this rumor, or any recent rumors, he is still the pivot point on which type of deal makes sense.

So, E. stays, favors trading the pick and maybe Skinner for at least "youngish" talent to try to build around. If E is gone, then load up on picks and hope the fan base stays on board.

Now, just for fun, if top, Buffalo would take #5 and Skinner for Eich..yes! I can't even let myself finish that sentence before pulling the trigger on that. But I say no way would they do it.

Edited by remkin

Top, forgive me, but I just don't see Skinners + our 5th for any of the trade proposals you've thoughtfully worked out. Now I'd be the first to admit that Skinner is a sizeable disappointment in so many ways compared to our collective dreams in his 1st two years, but I sensed, correctly or not, that he appears to be evolving.

Maybe it's the culmination or the final peak of frustration after 6 straight years of absence of the magical feeling of playoff hockey, but I just do not want to bundle our 5th, with a "failed" player of any type, to give up the dream of "what could be" with that pick!!

I especially am wary of RNH. My read on him, and granted it comes from the rantings of a malcontent Oiler's fan base, but he too appears to be a streaky scorer, with defensive lack. Wouldn't we just be exchanging similar problem Childs with Edmonton, granted without the every present fear of 1 more concussion, but with our 5th thrown in?

Now, I will admit that your suggestion of the Coyotes as trade partners for their defensive player and prospect COULD be tempting, but that is the only trade suggestion that makes any sense to me.

I can not condone any trade of the #5 pick in combination with getting rid of a problem contract.  Combining Skinner with the 5 would be just that.  This would really be selling low on Skinner.  I'd much rather bet on Skinner getting back to productivity than Semin.

RNH also has a $6M deal for 5 more years.  This team needs to identify, draft, and develop young players that are going to produce while on entry level and bridge type of deals. 

Edited by super_dave_1

My first impression is,it's Eklund. My second impression is, nothing really new in this rumor.   Skinner is an easy name to throw out but any basis for a rumor on him is still only speculation.

Francis has said he is open to trades, he has said he will listen to offers but his mantra "it has to make sense"

I view trading the 5 pick with a salary dump added a little different. If you can get what you want with the #5 trade and can enhance it by getting something else for the team in a salary dump, well why not.

Francis has said we are in good shape at number 5 so I think it would take a heck of a deal for us to move it.

There is a reason there is no history of trading a high pick in the draft to dump salary.

Agree. The trade for a number 5 pick would need to stand on its own. To include a salary dump would take a much bigger move and I don't see it happening. But I guess it could.

Eklund's newest rumor is that Francis recenty put out there that a huge package back could get you the #5 and or Skinner. I am assuming this is not the same rumor he put out a couple of months ago involving specific players and the Leafs. I don't see Skinner as a classic salary dump. He could easily come back and play lights out this fall. That is not a stretch if he can keep his bell unrung. There is a vast difference between Skinner and Semin.

If other GM's are going  to step up and give us that huge package, it would have to include what we see as overpayment for either player: the 5th pick or Skinner, or both. That means a package that includes players who could help us now, and prospects/picks. Further, since we are talking a 5th overall and a possible young star, the returning players would have to be fairly young and signed for awhile.

The shan't be mentioned initial Eklund rumor of a couple of months ago included a massive salary dump, not clear that this one does. Of course on both: it is Eklund.

Edited by remkin