The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
LakeLivin

2015 NHL Draft Contest

The speculation and diverse opinions about the draft gave me an idea: another contest.  OBXer did some scrambling and came up with a prize (winner only,looks like the prize will be a promotional Canes t-shirt. :yippee:). 

Here's how it will work:

Email me your prediction of the first 17 players selected in the 2015 NHL draft, ordered #1-#17. You;ll receive 1 point for every correct player-position picked.

Bonus points:

Anyone bold enough can also predict team draft-position trades.  4 bonus points If you correctly predict that a team trades into a particular draft slot. But you'll be penalized a point for each wrong trade prediction you make.  Note that this component is independent of the player drafted in a particular slot.  E.g., if you pick Toronto to trade for Carolina's #5 pick and you're correct you get the extra 4 points regardless of whether you get the player who's picked at #5 is correct.  If you're wrong you'll lose a point.

2 bonus points if you get the Canes pick correct.

To make it easier for me to enter picks into a spreadsheet, please list each pick on a separate line and only include the drafting team if you predict they're trading into a particular slot (you don't need to provide any of the trade particulars other than the spot a team ends up). Here's an example of what your entry might look like.

1. McDavid

2. Eichel

3. Strome

4. Hanifin

5. Marner  (Toronto)

17. Kylington

Tiebreaker: ties will be broken by eliminating tied contestants in the order in which they first miss predicted players.  In the unlikely case multiple tied contestants have the identical 17 picks we'll go to RPS. 

e.g., 2 people tie for 1st place with 13 points.

Actual draft order:     McD, Eich, Strome, Hanifin . . .

contestant 1 picked:  McD, Eich, Strome, Marner . . .

contestant 2 picked:  McD, Eich, Strome, Hanifin . . .

Contestant 2 wins the tiebreaker.

The method to the madness

It would have been nice to pick the entire 1st round, but that's way too much administrative overhead.  Hopefully 17 picks is deep enough to separate you prognosticating geniuses from the rest of us riff-raff. (actually, 17 picks = 15 picks because of McEichel) 

I liked the idea of rewarding anyone with the bal. . ., er guts to predict teams trading into draft slots.  But the likelihood of that is small so I figured the reward had to be a lot greater than the risk.  4:1 seemed about right off the top of my head.

Obviously entries need to be emailed before the first pick this Friday evening and any trades you want to predict need to be made before they're announced.

It will be interesting to see how this goes,  Good luck!

Edited by LakeLivin

I've emailed OBXer as verification that I've picked certain team trades (i.e., "locked them in") in case they actually happen before I publish the table of picks.

Don't forget to send your draft picks in. Have some fun with the draft and you could win a prize. :letssee::pray::thumbsup2:

Congratulations to remkin who picked 9 of 17 to win the contest. Coastal had the first 7 picks correct but apparently forgot to include Werenski which might have thrown off the rest of his selections (0-fer the rest of the way). 

I'd like to thank the Academy. Then to all those who made this possible, first the mock drafters that I stole the bottom half of my picks from, then...well that's it really.

Folks, I'm not into the draft.  I just wait to see who the Canes pick.  I've scanned your discussions, but it is really over my head.

That said, I'm impressed by Rem's picks, even though I thought he was just a babbling crazy guy the last few weeks.  

So, let me take those thoughts back.  Good job, Remkin! 

Thanks Xray.....I think? :)

:) It was all compliment.  Really.  Your draft discussions were so far over my head I just couldn't follow them, that's all.  Sane to most, crazy to me.  :)

Congratulations as the winner of the Draft Contest. Rem has won a Canes Promotional T-shirt (whatever that is), bragging rights an an unofficial designation as our front office guru.

The down side is remkin must now wear Italian suits, a white button down shirt and an Armoni tie when he posts on the board.

Thank you LakeLivin for putting this contest together and making it work.  WELL DONE!

Ok, looking for feedback to make this better if we do it again next year. Both from those who played and those who didn't.

First, I think we'll cut it back to only 14 or 15 picks instead of 17. This time there were only 2 correct picks total after the 10th round.  I'd think about only 12 rounds, but as there will be limited prizes we're conscious of avoiding ties and the more picks the less chance we'll have matching entries.

Speaking of ties, the first tiebreaker next year will be highest total number of teams correctly picked (this won't necessarily equal total points because of bonus points). Then tiebreaker as outlined in this years rules.

Any thoughts on the bonus points for getting the Canes pick right?  Should it be more or less than 2?

Any other suggestions?