The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Buyouts

Mike Richards demise has been fast and confusing. Wonder if JR goes into his misfit toys mode and brings him in at a cheap price.

So its not a buyout. At least not yet.

LOS ANGELES -- The Los Angeles Kings have terminated the contract of forward Mike Richards, the club announced today.

The club has issued the following statement and will not comment any further at this time:

“The Los Angeles Kings today have exercised the team's right to terminate the contract of Mike Richards for a material breach of the requirements of his Standard Player's Contract. We are not prepared to provide any more detail or to discuss the underlying grounds for the contract termination at this time.”

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie 11m11 minutes ago

It is a given the Kings believe this move frees them of their contractual obligation to Richards and his $5.75M cap hit.

I'm going to suspect Richards and his representatives may not see it the same way. Stay tuned on that.

Suffice to say it's extremely complicated and many lawyers are going to be very busy sorting this one out.

This could get interesting and messy. But it says as far as Kings and NHL concerned he is free to sign elsewhere. Buyer Beware? I don't know.

So its not a buyout. At least not yet.

This could get interesting and messy. But it says as far as Kings and NHL concerned he is free to sign elsewhere. Buyer Beware? I don't know.

Wow.  Look, they are not going to call breach of contract for him picking his nose in public.  That's a pretty serious allegation.  There has to be at least something behind it.

Yikes.  Stay away.  This is really going to get messy.

Wow.  Look, they are not going to call breach of contract for him picking his nose in public.  That's a pretty serious allegation.  There has to be at least something behind it.

Yikes.  Stay away.  This is really going to get messy.

Well I would stay away anyway but this could take years to settle and in the meantime it shouldn't effect a contract with another club.

It is being reported the incident that lead to the Richards breach of contract happened off ice

PUCK DADDY 

Pierre McGuire indicates Mike Richards contract breach occurred at border crossing