The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Free Agency Frenzy

Well if it is "we like our group." then the only thing we all have to look forward to is the 2016 NHL draft.  So far this might be hands down the worst 4 lines that the Canes have ever had in franchise history.

JR = The future is now

Well . . . for Pitt, the future is now. They were operating that way before JR got there and I'd wager that's the mandate he got when he came onboard.  So from that perspective maybe he and the Pens were a good match.  We can only hope that even if he's successful short term it will hurt the Pens down the road.

p.s. I read that the Pens gave up a 1st & 3rd and got back a 2nd round pick in the trade (included as info only) 

It looks like we will stick to the playbook and let the dust and money settle before we jump in. If we do at all

Well . . . for Pitt, the future is now. They were operating that way before JR got there and I'd wager that's the mandate he got when he came onboard.  So from that perspective maybe he and the Pens were a good match.  We can only hope that even if he's successful short term it will hurt the Pens down the road.

p.s. I read that the Pens gave up a 1st & 3rd and got back a 2nd round pick in the trade (included as info only) 

They are trying to sell the team, so this move probably has more to do with attracting buyers and keeping Sid happy.

BTW, Toronto has to pay Kessel a $4mil signing bonus today. OUCH!

Edited by hopper915

My Pens buddy is on the gaspipe, and I am holding it for him and feeding in the smoke with my JR talk.  At least I am getting some fun out of this.

I think Francis is doing a rebuild.  He just can;t say it in this market due to missing the playoffs in the past 6 years.  Expect no moves what so ever this UFA period and prep for major moves come the 16/17 off season.  Just look at the front headline of this website.  UFA begins, Canes sign 3 of their own players.  Something is wrong with this.

Edited by bluedevil58

Exciting day, our same garbage bottom six resigned and some 2way contracts on players that we will never see play full time in NHL. ok, ok, I'm calming down, they are not garbage. We just didn't win with them. Hopeuflly that means big changes in top 6.

Guys, I think I've finally figured out GMRF's philosophy. Just saw a Mike Manisco tweet reputing the signing of another 2 way player( TJ Hensick). Thus, I conclude that what we are about is that while everyone else"s heads are turned and fixated on NHL scrubs at exhorbitant prices, we swoop in and take all the best AHL players. Then, on day2, we go for the affordable leftovers!

Works for me.

Edited by KJUNKANE

If the price isn't crazy Williams and Oduya would be really nice additions, that feel about right to me. But w/ UFA prices can get crazy.

We could be setting ourselves up for a good offseason next year.  As of next year, we only have Jordan Staal, Jeff Skinner, Jay McClement, Andrej Nestrasil, James Wisniewski, Justin Faulk, and Ron Hainsey signed to contracts.  The Free Agents look better pending extensions.

One thing RF said was that he wasn't going to sign UFAs that block young upcoming talent.

This was one of the things that constantly irritated me from JR.

We've gone all in on defense w/ the choice draft picks, which is fine, but yeah, not really blocking any major offensive stud prospects. I like McGinn but he's a bit away from putting up numbers if he ever does.

In the short run we would use some defense. In the long run we will need forwards.

Edited by remkin

Yes we are.  That's why I don't think we're going to see any of that money from Semin's buyout put to good use.  It's going straight into PKs pocket.  In my opinion defense has a lot of options so we "might" be ok there if any of Han, Fleury, Pesce, Carrick, Biega are ready for the big show.  Look at the lines though..

Staal-Staal-Lindholm

Skinner-Nash-Nesty

Gerbe-Rask-Terry

McGinn-McClemment-Malone

This is hands down the worst forward group that the team has ever had.  I could be wrong buys but if my speculation holds up brace yourselves for a very long and enduring season.

Yes we are.  That's why I don't think we're going to see any of that money from Semin's buyout put to good use.  It's going straight into PKs pocket.  In my opinion defense has a lot of options so we "might" be ok there if any of Han, Fleury, Pesce, Carrick, Biega are ready for the big show.  Look at the lines though..

Staal-Staal-Lindholm

Skinner-Nash-Nesty

Gerbe-Rask-Terry

McGinn-McClemment-Malone

This is hands down the worst forward group that the team has ever had.  I could be wrong buys but if my speculation holds up brace yourselves for a very long and enduring season.

If we roll that out with no more help on defense. Yes. One more year of picking near the top of the draft.

I don't think we're done. I don't think we are going into the frenzy, but will try to pick up a value piece or two.

Free agent frenzy day. The day of the year when all crazy Canes fans take the afternoon off from work, and take a well deserved nap, sure to miss nothing.

You know, unlike a few, I'm not sure we are in "an extreme cost cutting mode", sorry coastal. Yes, we off loaded some pieces(cough, cough #28), and as yet have not replaced, but couldn't this represent "deliberate", rational, sane approach from a cerebral GM not getting caught up in what we've all agreed is a "frenzy".

Don't get me wrong, I too sat with bated breath dreaming of some fantastic huge deal to take us momentarily away from these doldrums, but I sit back now and am thankful that GMRF appears to have kept a steady "full steam ahead".

It is easy to get sucked in by fan and media hype, but really why compromise the evolution of a plan that appears sound? No, sitting on his thumbs must have taken a great deal of will power today, but at least Ron Francis didn't succumb to a whim like JR did, managing to give away more of Pittsburg's future, like we are so very familiar with here.