The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Free Agency Frenzy

Yes we are.  That's why I don't think we're going to see any of that money from Semin's buyout put to good use.  It's going straight into PKs pocket.  In my opinion defense has a lot of options so we "might" be ok there if any of Han, Fleury, Pesce, Carrick, Biega are ready for the big show.  Look at the lines though..

Staal-Staal-Lindholm

Skinner-Nash-Nesty

Gerbe-Rask-Terry

McGinn-McClemment-Malone

This is hands down the worst forward group that the team has ever had.  I could be wrong buys but if my speculation holds up brace yourselves for a very long and enduring season.

I think Derek Ryan is going to crack the line up, sneaky under the radar sign by us! Last year's Swedish League MVP.

Edited by BBC-line

Apparently used to play under Peters in Spokane. The Checkers write up seems to suggest that they are hoping rather than planning on him being with them this year (to me that means the plan is for him to be in Raleigh). Here's a short write up and the other link is a coast to coast goal from last season:

http://www.gocheckers.com/articles/1235-hurricanes-sign-shl-leading-scorer-derek-ryan
http://gfycat.com/EsteemedQuerulousAlligator

*EDIT*  Another article with some contract info: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/hurricanes-sign-swedish-league-mvp-derek-ryan/

Edited by BBC-line

Only things that I don't like is that he is a center which we have a ton of and is also 28 years old.

Our roster is always slammed with centers so why not take one more that has some good upside with low risk. Staal, Staal, Lindholm, Nash, Rask, Skinner, Malone, McClemment, last year you add Tlusty to that. So why not, it can't hurt that rough looking lineup above?

I think Derek Ryan is going to crack the line up, sneaky under the radar sign by us! Last year's Swedish League MVP.

Can he play RW?

Patrick Sharp traded to the Stars.

The Stars may not be able to stop goals, but they should score plenty.

I guess this opens the door for Chicago to re-sign Oduya as well.

Edited by Kyrule

Patrick Sharp traded to the Stars.

The Stars may not be able to stop goals, but they should score plenty.

I guess this opens the door for Chicago to re-sign Oduya as well.

With Niemi AND Lehtonen as their goalies next season?  The Stars might just have become the team to beat in the Central.  On paper at least.

I was down on Oduya coming to Carolina a few seasons ago, but I'm impressed with the resurgence he's had in Chicago and would love to have him sign with us...but I think you're right Kyrule.

Lehtonen was pretty bad last year (even his coach called him out), and San Jose had a decent defense in front of Niemi.

If you look at the Stars defense, there's not much to get excited about. They lost Daley (who had 16 goals last season, which is a lot for a defenseman) and didn't add anyone that I know of, and they were pretty bad last year.

If they can tighten things up defensively and get better goaltending though, they could be real good because you know they are going to score. They should certainly be exciting to watch.

It'll be interesting to see if Chicago can sign Kruger and Oduya, or if it will be an either/or situation. I'm not sure how much salary they took back with Daley and Garbutt.

Edit: It looks like Chicago took back a little over 4 million in salary. Sharp is/was at 5.9 million.

Edited by Kyrule

I guess that question got answered (see my post above this one).

Oduya to the Stars.

Dallas plundered a couple vets from the champs, but they are aging veterans.

The Stars got a much needed veteran defenseman, and they really look poised to make a run, but the West is tough.

Dallas and Columbus are two teams that could potentially make some noise next year.