The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
dinz

Zack

This gives the checkers a veteran forward with NHL experience that the youngsters can look up to.  This also gives the Canes an immediate "serviceable" bottom 6 guy if someone goes down due to injury.  This is a low-risk signing.  Zack gets to keep getting paid for doing what he loves and that is playing hockey.  This will really help the checkers out.

So why not apply the same logic to Rosey?  

Boychuk is 25yo and LaRose is 33?  Even though it's unlikely that Boychuk will raise his ceiling at this point, it's still possible, and he should at least maintain for a while.  LaRose is definitely on the downswing of his career.  

Boychuk is 25yo and LaRose is 33?  Even though it's unlikely that Boychuk will raise his ceiling at this point, it's still possible, and he should at least maintain for a while.  LaRose is definitely on the downswing of his career.  

Plus LaRose does not play a responsible 2-way game.

And Boychuk's is better?  Rosey's done more for this team than Boychuk can ever hope for...all we did with Boychuk was waste a perfectly good first-rounder to select him.

I really don't like this signing...at all...basically it's saying we're desperate...and don't mind rewarding folks who don't live up to their potential.

Going to have to disagree again.  Your boy Chad has a career +/- of -29.  Say it again with me "- 29".  Meanwhile Zach has a career +/- of -3.  I would rather have Boychuk called up than Chad.  I don't really recall Chad ever doing anything for this team to be honest.  

Edited by bluedevil58

How does a thread about Zach (with an "H") Boychuk get to be a Rosey jock strap sniffing thing?

Questions the lack of Francis moves to improve the team and then wants to know why Rosey doesn't deserve another chance. 

Edited by super_dave_1

And Boychuk's is better?  Rosey's done more for this team than Boychuk can ever hope for...all we did with Boychuk was waste a perfectly good first-rounder to select him.

I really don't like this signing...at all...basically it's saying we're desperate...and don't mind rewarding folks who don't live up to their potential.

I'm also gonna have to disagree with you on this one AWAC.

I don't see the past as being particularly relevant.  To me it comes down to what a player can do now for the organization. And with the Boychuk signing, I think it's as much for the Chex as for the Canes.  We promised  MacIntyre that we'd field a more experienced and competitive team in Charlotte when we signed him.  I'll take Boychuk over Rosie at this point in their careers, both in Charlotte and in Raleigh if needed.  As long as Boychuk is working hard and maintains a good attitude, I don't see anything to be gained by punishing him for the fact that he hasn't lived up to our original expectations.

If we are hit with injuries and the need gets acute, we can bring Boychuk up without question. LaRose? Not without question.

Ok, maybe I didn't make myself clear on this...

I freely admit, Rosey has done nothing to deserve the deal he got last season in Charlotte...it was a leap of faith and a "thanks for the hard work throughout the years."  But I bring him up in this thread vs Zach Boychuk mostly to illustrate the following points:

1. How many more chances do we need to keep giving a guy who has done nothing for us since we selected him with our first rounder 7 years ago?  We waived him, and took him back after he was waived by two other teams.  But we're down on a guy who was grossly misused by the last coach and left in a huff.

2. Boychuk= 127 NHL games, 30 points, 0.236 points per game average; LaRose= 508 games, 180 points, 0.354 points per game average. 

And your +/- stat is irrelevant, blue, because...if you really want to go there, why is Eric still the Captain and paid the amount he's paid since he's a whopping -54 career?  Hell, even Rod was a -39 over his career.  Utilizing just one stat to validate why we should select one mediocre player over another isn't really valid, wouldn't you agree?

This isn't about sniffing Rosey's jock...I've got plenty of other threads to do that ;)  I just don't get why everyone is soooooo keen on this signing.  I don't want to sign a player who's a rock star in the AHL, but doesn't amount to jack squat when called up.  I want someone signed who can actually do something for us in Raleigh.  Boychuk is not that guy...and there are plenty of free agents left who we can sign for the same amount that we just re-upped him for who could do a better job.  Look at the list...

I freely admit, Rosey has done nothing to deserve the deal he got last season in Charlotte...it was a leap of faith and a "thanks for the hard work throughout the years."  But I bring him up in this thread vs Zach Boychuk mostly to illustrate the following points:

1. How many more chances do we need to keep giving a guy who has done nothing for us since we selected him with our first rounder 7 years ago?  We waived him, and took him back after he was waived by two other teams.  But we're down on a guy who was grossly misused by the last coach and left in a huff.

2. Boychuk= 127 NHL games, 30 points, 0.236 points per game average; LaRose= 508 games, 180 points, 0.354 points per game average. 

And your +/- stat is irrelevant, blue, because...if you really want to go there, why is Eric still the Captain and paid the amount he's paid since he's a whopping -54 career?  Hell, even Rod was a -39 over his career.  Utilizing just one stat to validate why we should select one mediocre player over another isn't really valid, wouldn't you agree?

This isn't about sniffing Rosey's jock...I've got plenty of other threads to do that ;)  I just don't get why everyone is soooooo keen on this signing.  I don't want to sign a player who's a rock star in the AHL, but doesn't amount to jack squat when called up.  I want someone signed who can actually do something for us in Raleigh.  Boychuk is not that guy...and there are plenty of free agents left who we can sign for the same amount that we just re-upped him for who could do a better job.  Look at the list...

Who is so "keen" on this signing?  I think it is mostly seen as a depth signing and a completion of the AHL roster.  He knows the system and has produced at the AHL level, but it isn't enough for me to get excited about.

As for chances that Boychuk has had, I wouldn't be bothered at all if they cut bait and let him go.  He is still relatively young at 25 and the new staff may see something in him that past management did not.  You know, the ones that "grossly misused" your boy Rosey (by not letting him play in the top 6 where he wanted to play).

Both Eric and Rod brought other things to the table.  This included scoring and also great face off win percentages from Rod.  LaRose brings neither of those to the table nor anything else.  He was a good 4th liner but now we have better options.

The fact that we are still talking about Rosey and Boychuk shows how desperate this team is. Ronnie has to show me something and make a move for some better quality players. I understand the youth movement but we can't hold pat and wait for everyone to develop.If Ronnie decides to not sign any proven NHL players, then at least bring up Tolchinsky to make it entertaining. I'd rather see Tolchinsky over Boychuk any day. How many years have we been discussing our need for a right wing? Tolchinsky is a natural LW,but I gotta believe he could play the RW. This team is still light years away from being a depth playoff team contender.

Ha ha, at least we are down to only one person who still can't get past Chad LaRose.

Seriously though AWAC, I don't think anybody really cares if Boychuk was signed or not to be honest.  It's just....meh.

And actually, Boychuk better shut his mouth on Twitter.  Go check it out, he has some very "interesting" tweets coming out.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I guess I'm just riled he gets his own thread...again...

But since I'm not on Twitter, would you mind posting me some of his gems?  (Sorry, I won't subscribe to Twitter, I don't need to read about celebrities taking a huge dump) ;)

Rosey still has a career in hockey ? Neither one has much to get excited about. Both AHL/ECHL  bench fillers.

Edited by winger52

Rosey still has a career in hockey ? Neither one has much to get excited about. Both AHL/ECHL  bench fillers.

Not exciting from strictly a Canes fan perspective, but still a good signing for the larger Canes organization imo. I'd wager the Charlotte fans don't see Boychuk as an AHL bench filler or ECHL player.  And I suspect it's harder than we might realize to stock effective "emergency call ups", i.e., someone with the demonstrated ability to hold down a spot if needed due to short term injuries but who isn't at risk of getting stolen off of waivers every time that happens.  Granted, not an exciting signing, but still a good one given the winning culture we're trying to instill throughout the larger Canes organization.  #role players have a role

I would think that a call up would be someone who impressed at training camp but just may need a little more experience . Someone who has the potential to make the NHL in the next season or two. Someone who may attract the attention of another team looking to get a potential player in a trade. Boychuk has shown none of these qualities. 

Could be; I guess it depends on the organization's perspective.

To me, what you're describing involves a certain element of risk. Maybe that untested prospect can hold down an NHL spot (or even better if you get lucky), maybe not and he hurts the team while you're trying him out. Then there's the whole organization development philosophy. How do you want to bring along prospects?  Seems like we've been erring on the side of rushing them rather than developing them in the past.  And it ignores the Checkers organization. I'm sure Charlotte is just as annoyed at missing the playoffs last year as we are; I'd wager that they're thrilled at having Boychuk, an AHL All Star, back (remember, Chex goalie MacIntyre was headed elsewhere if the Chex remained young and inexperienced).  And last, you've got to have the type of player you're talking about. What current Chex forwards do you see as being close enough now that you project them as likely NHLers within a year or two? That you'd be comfortable with in the Canes lineup now?

I'm not saying you're wrong in theory, but I do think you may be overlooking a couple of considerations. Given where the entire Canes organization is at this point, the Boychuk signing still makes sense to me  :)

Edited by LakeLivin

I know a lot of Checkers fans, and several Checkers STH's.  To a tee, all of them consider the signing as.....meh....and all of them consider Boychuk as a permanent AHL fixture (i.e. not an NHL'er).  I know they don't speak for everyone but these folks are pretty serious hockey fans.