The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
LakeLivin

Prospect Auston Matthews signs with Swiss National League

Auston Matthews signed with the Swiss National League.

Does that leave him open to playing in the AHL before he turns 20?  If so, I wonder if this might start a trend for some top tier young prospects to go overseas instead of to the CHL.  For example, it would  have been great if Fleury had the option of the AHL this season instead of either the NHL or CHL. 

Yea, Lake, maybe these Canadian kids are wising up to what appears to be unrealistic, antiquated Francophile demands of their forefathers, designed to put youthful Canadian hockey players in bondage of sorts. Sorta like the rapidly fading goonery in the sport.

Winnipeg prospect Nikolaj Ehlers said he’s considering a stint in Switzerland’s NLA if he doesn’t make the Jets roster out of training camp this season.  “I honestly do not think about this now,” the Ehlers told Sportinformation, via swisshockeynews.ch. “But Switzerland is at the top of my list if I’m not going to play in the NHL in the upcoming season.”

May be a moot point as I hear Ehlers has a good chance of making the Jets this year. But hopefully this is the beginning of a trend that will precipitate some changes to the CHL age related monopoly. 

But hopefully this is the beginning of a trend that will precipitate some changes to the CHL age related monopoly. 

Well, Mathews is a special case, since he turned 18 after this year's draft, but before the start of the European Leagues' seasons.  Phil Kessel was about the only other player of note in the last 10 years.  Of course, the NCAA is becoming an increasingly attractive option for kids who want to try to make the NHL(and college turned pro players can go to the AHL, if their development warrants).

Well, Mathews is a special case, since he turned 18 after this year's draft, but before the start of the European Leagues' seasons.  Phil Kessel was about the only other player of note in the last 10 years.  Of course, the NCAA is becoming an increasingly attractive option for kids who want to try to make the NHL(and college turned pro players can go to the AHL, if their development warrants).

True. It's also interesting that Matthews joined the USHL instead of the CHL.  I wonder it the CHL/ AHL age restriction factored into that decision?  It would have been a pretty astute move if so, imo.  Regardless of Matthews motivation, you've got to wonder if other "high level" young prospects might start to look at alternative routes similar to Matthews in addition to the NCAA option in order to avoid the CHL/AHL age restriction.  If enough high level talent starts to bleed off maybe the CHL will at least allow NHL teams an exemption or two for their best prospects.