The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
LakeLivin

Traverse City Tourney

Canes roster: http://hurricanes.nhl.com/v2/ext/training%20camp/TraverseCity15-16.pdf

This should be interesting.  Seems like we're icing a strong team, especially on D. In addition to Hanifin and Fleury we should get to see Pesce and Roland McKeown.  Up front the young swedes Wallmark and Karlsson will be joining DiGiuseppe,Tolchinsky and McGinn.  

I don't know much about the goalies we're sending (Booth and Tirronen, both acquired this spring) but they rank 37th and 39th on InGoal Magazines top 50 Prospects List. (Nedlejkovik was ranked 18th, Altshuler didn't make the list). 

http://ingoalmag.com/features/top-50-nhl-goaltending-prospects-for-2015-2016-season/

18. Alex Nedeljkovic

2nd round, 37th overall in 2014 – 19 years old
55 GP, 3.13 GAA, .916 SV%, 20-28-7 (Plymouth – OHL)

As one of the most physically gifted goaltending prospects out there, Nedeljkovic is worth keeping an eye on as a possible candidate to rocket up the Hurricanes’ depth chart. One thing that he is not blessed with, however, is sheer size. Topping out at 6 feet tall (or slightly under), he is not physically imposing to most shooters – until they see him move. His flexibility and aggressive style will have fans on the edge of their seat, but sometimes in a bad way. Harnessing that aggressiveness and learning to play against professional shooters as a smaller-than-average netminder will be his biggest obstacle before reaching the NHL.

37. Rasmus Tirronen

Undrafted – 24 years old
31 GP, 2.30 GAA, .929 SV%, 12-14-3 (Merrimack – Hockey East, NCAA)

Tirronen is yet another goalie that has taken the NAHL-to-college-to-pro route, but the 24-yearold Finn was not highly touted until his final year with the Merrimack Warriors. Playing in the extremely tough Hockey East conference of division 1 NCAA hockey, Tirronen continually held his team in games that they had no business winning. An eye-popping save percentage of almost .930 in his final year was enough for him to earn a pro contract with the Carolina Hurricanes, and he was immediately assigned to Charlotte of the AHL.

39. Callum Booth

4th round, 93rd overall in 2015 – 18 years old
41 GP, 3.05 GAA, .900 SV%, 23-13-2 (Quebec – QMJHL)

After beginning the season as the starter for the Quebec Remparts, they decided that he wasn’t quite ready to handle the starter’s job as an 18-year-old, and brought in some help. Booth lost his job to Zach Fucale after a trade with the Halifax Mooseheads, and that move greatly impacted his draft position. Although he was originally touted to go as high as the second round, his stock fell drastically as the 2015 draft approached. The good news is that he responded well to the competition, and even started a few games on the Remparts’ long playoff run when Fucale faltered.

Edited by LakeLivin

Really want to see something from McGinn, Tolchinsky, and Pesce. (and of course Hanifin and Fleury).

Love what I have seen and read about Pesce. Chip says the Canes think he is NHL ready.

Really want to see something from McGinn, Tolchinsky, and Pesce. (and of course Hanifin and Fleury).

Love what I have seen and read about Pesce. Chip says the Canes think he is NHL ready.

If so, then he may steal Fleury's spot. I bet they'd rather put off the start of his ELC one more year to space out the contracts.

If so, then he may steal Fleury's spot. I bet they'd rather put off the start of his ELC one more year to space out the contracts.

A couple of things that might factor into the consideration:

• for Fleury it's the OHL if not the Canes. Pesce could play in Charlotte.
  • Pesce is 2 years older

It will be interesting to see how they both play in Traverse City.

Edited by LakeLivin

I'm also particularly interested in seeing a healthy Pesce, as well as McKeowan, Carrick, and Slavin.

Up front, I'm actually most interested in seeing what Wallmark can do, and maybe secondly Brock McGinn.

I wish Aho was going to be there, both to get a glimpse of him in action and for him to start to get a taste of the smaller ice.  Oh well, maybe next year. . .

McKeown's the one I'm most interested in. He looks like a potential Myers (not in the rookie-of-the year sense, but size- and build-wise). And you have think Morris' background in the LA org means he knows something about his game already.

Welp....

Michael Smith ‏@MSmithCanes  7m7 minutes ago

#Canes Noah Hanifin injured in USA WJ eval camp, will still attend training camp. http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=778382 

It's the Canes, we should have seen this coming from a mile away.

It seems the hockey Gods even like to toy with us pre-training camp.

Can't wait to see what they have in store for us going forward...

Here we go!!  I agree Bluedevil, so frustrating to lose our top prospect and our first chance to see him because of some WJ B.S.   Now lets see if the bad luck follows into training camp. I hope not, we cannot afford to lose one top 6 forward(even tho we only really have 4).

A couple of things.

1. If my research is correct, that camp, where the injury occured was over a month ago. I guess news is slow to get out around here.

2. No mention of what the injury was to be found.

3. It is at least somewhat reassuring that he will still be able to participate in training camp, though I hope he is able to stay in shape and get on the ice at least some before camp.

Still stinks not to be able to see him in Traverse City.

Good to see the names on the scoresheet were some of the ones we wanted to see. Thanks for the video Invisible.

Every time I see Tolchinsky he does things that make him stand out. Not just the sweet goals either. He keeps pucks in. Controls pucks.

The Versteeg pickup cuts his dark horse chances down, but I would still not be stunned if Tolchinsky made the team out of camp. Still have to see him do it vs the big boys, but he stands out amoung our prospects.

Fleury is going to be good, but not thinking his decision making is NHL ready. If ever there were a guy who could benefit from going pretty much right to Charlotte I would think it would be him. But no. Not until the very end of the year.

I think Tolchninsky's chance of making the team this year is better than Fleury's.

Too bad we can't see Hanifin out there.

And I still think McGinn skates and hits like an NHL player. Probably doesn't crack the roster out of camp, but eventually.

Edited by remkin