The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
LakeLivin

Traverse City Tourney

I think they missed an assist for Tolchinsky...I thought he got an assist in both the second game and last nights game. By the way, check out Sergi's shot percentage...

Yeah, from Canes gameday on twitter (Pointstreak gave assists on the play to Pesce and Fleury):

Carolina Hurricanes @Canes_Gameday 14h14 hours ago

Tolchinsky to Di Giuseppe in the slot. Bang-bang on the power play, and the #Canes have a 6-3 lead!

8 retweets 12 favorites

Edited by LakeLivin

Good to see our D prospects scoring but is anyone else wondering how well they're playing defense given that we've allowed 9 goals over the last 2 games?   We've already got one elite offensive NHL defenseman in Justin Faulk; defensively, not so much.  I wish we had a more nuanced summary of Traverse City than just a regurgitation of the scoring info. 

Some other questions:

• how are the goalies playing?  The numbers alone would suggest that Tirronen was playing great until that last period.  Did he slip or was he mostly left out to dry? 
  • how are the forwards doing with respect to a 2-way game? Tolchinsky is a +5, Wallmark a +4, but that stat can be misleading, especially with such a small sample size.

Any way we can get some analysis of what's going on?

Good to see our D prospects scoring but is anyone else wondering how well they're playing defense given that we've allowed 9 goals over the last 2 games?   We've already got one elite offensive NHL defenseman in Justin Faulk; defensively, not so much.  I wish we had a more nuanced summary of Traverse City than just a regurgitation of the scoring info. 

Some other questions:

• how are the goalies playing?  The numbers alone would suggest that Tirronen was playing great until that last period.  Did he slip or was he mostly left out to dry? 
  • how are the forwards doing with respect to a 2-way game? Tolchinsky is a +5, Wallmark a +4, but that stat can be misleading, especially with such a small sample size.

Any way we can get some analysis of what's going on?

They streamed the Oilers/Jets/Flames/Nucks prospect tournament on YouTube.  Maybe they could do that next year(Wings willing).

Overall I'm not too worried about defense in these tournaments and we don't have our top goalie prospect there. I base my concern about Fleury on very little to be honest, but if you watch the clips Invisible put up, there is an occasion in his end where Fleury just blindly dumps the puck behind his own net right to the other team's forward. In the prospects game at the end of propsect camp he did that type of thing a few times.

He can learn that, but this was not vs. NHL forwards, so I'm a bit skeptical. On the other hand, he is making plays offensively. It will be interesting to see how he stacks up in training camp and early pre season.

Edited by remkin

It's not so much concern with the number of goals we gave up but rather getting a sense of how our yutes look with regard to their defensive potential.  It would still be nice to get some analysis on our prospects rather than just the very shallow reporting we get.

A simple example: I learned from the box score that Booth played the first 2 periods and gave up 4 goals.  Tirronen played the 3rd and gave up 1.  To me, that's potentially significant information given what each of them did the rest of the tourney.  If the 3rd period of the 'Hawks game is a bit of an anomol, Tirronen could be showing realistic long term development potential.  While you don't want to completely writing him off, the fact that Booth got lit up in both his games makes him a much longer shot in my eyes.    

Ok, this, from http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/the-biggest-and-best-prospects-from-traverse-city/, is what I want more of:

Carolina

Sergey Tolchinsky – Everything is done fast by Tolchinsky and that’s why he is so fun to watch in the offensive end. Incredible hands and very quick cuts when he’s moving around with the puck.

Haydn Fleury – The size and mobility are obviously great attributes, particularly when the blueliner rounds the corner on a guy while he’s rushing the puck. But Fleury is also a smart player who knows when to pinch and when to break up a pass.

Phil Di Giuseppe – I loved the high pace that Di Giuseppe played at in the tourney. Physical, energetic and potent in the offensive zone.

Brett Pesce – So smart. The former New Hampshire defenseman has great anticipation, which he uses to break up passes. He was really solid overall for the Canes.

Trevor Carrick – I had been opining about where the Canes’ future snarl would come from on the back end and maybe Carrick is the answer. The D-man plays a nasty physical game but can also burn the competition when he jumps into the rush.

So we didn't win it, but two guys made NHL.com top 10 players from the tourney. Fleury and Tolchinsky.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=779257

His odds got a lot longer after we picked up Versteeg, but I still have a chip on Tolchinsky with long shot odds to make the team. May take an injury or trade, but that's why they're longshot odds.