The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2015 Training Camp and Pre-Season

Training Camp Schedule and Roster

CanesNews

The team will begin on-ice workouts on Friday, Sept. 18, at 8:45 a.m., and its roster for camp includes six goaltenders, 19 defensemen and 32 forwards for a total of 57 players. All training camp practices are open to the media. All practices are also open to the general public, with the exceptions of Sept. 19, which is open exclusively to early-bird season-ticket holders for the Season Ticket Holder Barbecue, and Oct. 3, which is closed due to N.C. State football.

It's funny because while there is no one on a player tryout, and no headline grabbing star additions, there are a LOT of guys to watch at camp. This is just a partial list for my interest:

Fleury: is he NHL ready, especially decision making? How does he look vs the big boys?

Hanifin: see Fleury

Murphy: will he show up in top shape? Is he ready to make his case as a first rounder who should be playing. Can he bring the offense?

(Those three are the guys we spent 3 of our last 4 first round picks, all in the top half, to form our defense of the future.)

McKeown: kind of under the radar, would seem to be a long shot this year, but a very nice prospect.

Nestrasil: Does he take another step up offensively and cemment at least a third line spot?

Wisniewski: New vet D man. Has something to prove. Is he the 50 point guy, or the healthy scratch guy?

McGinn: my boy. Looks and plays the way we want. Is he ready to roam in the NHL or does he need some more AHL time?

Versteeg: New vet O man. Will he big the missing piece. Is he good for at least .5 ppg? Will he keep going to the net?

Ryan: the set up man MVP in Sweden. Can he do it on the small ice at NHL speed? Will he surprise and grab a spot?

DiGuisseppe: Supposedly very talented. Can he break out?

Nordstrom: already logging about half the game with the champs, does he lock down a forth line spot? Would seem likely.

Lowe: under the radar, but did get a little NHL time last year. Plays the game "right". Crowded house trying to make the blueline though.

Skinner: will he come back blazing again? less fearful? Can he stay un concussed?

Tolchinsky: my other boy. Tricky point producer, but also good possesion skills, can he be this year's Rask?

Pesce: highly touted now. One would think he has a real shot to make it, though the coach probably feels better w/ a guy w/ some NHL..

Rissanen: has NHL time, looked solid pre injury.

Wallmark: probably no shot at making team, but could be a guy of the future.

Slavin: looked good in prospect camp.

Lack: Let's see the new goalie.

Ward: Let's see the old goalie, the one with one year left on the contract.

And that's just a partial list.

Can't believe it's finally here.

Love to hear updates from anyone who attends.

Couple of thoughts on the above:

McGinn:  If there's one player that I'd like to see developed and not rushed, it's McGinn.  He's a young, physical player on the small side and he didn't exactly tear up the AHL last year.  What can we reasonably expect him to contribute to the Canes before he does it in Charlotte?  I could even see Tolchinsky making the Canes before McGinn.  Although he's a lot smaller, the Smurf's game is based on avoidance while McGinn's is based on physicality.  Given his style of play, I'd like to see McGinn dominate in the AHL before I'm going to pin high Canes expectations on him.

Ryan:  He's coming from Sweden but he grew up playing on the smaller ice so hopefully the transition back won't be as drastic as it might be for someone who grew up playing in Europe.

Fleury: damm CHL - NHL age agreement!

DiGuisseppe: there's prospects, and there's prospects.  I don't know much about him but based on feedback from Traverse City, maybe he's actually one of the latter? :crossfingers:

On McGinn don't really disagree. Will say though that historically he is exactly the kind of guy that makes the team because he brings all of the stuff the coach wants to see. Also, word from Charlotte was that by the end of the year he was the most NHL ready forward.

Ryan: do understand he has played on smaller ice, but never excelled on smaller ice, and vs. NHL players. Doesn't always translate, but hopefully it does.

DiGuisseppe was our first of two second round pick, actually taken about 9 picks ahead of McGinn. He is a early second round pick at #38, so I would say expecations after the pick were pretty high. He hasn't delivered on them though. I think there have been work ethic issues. And frankly he never really broke out in college either. Apparently has the talent, but probalby never makes much of it unfortunately, but you never know.

Agree completly on the CHL agreement. Fleury seems to me to be the poster child for some kind of exemption. He woud be the perfect guy to go AHL, even if he may not want to. I guess we'll see how he looks at camp.

Edited by remkin

Anyone know anything at all about Niki Petti?  He's our only camp invitee, and I'm trying to figure out why he might have got an invite. He was ranked 143 in one NHL draft ranking, his OHL numbers aren't impressive, he's not big. and he wouldn't even be eligible to play in Charlotte this year.  Ruh??e

Edit: He played 3 games for us in Traverse City as an invitee and it doesn't look like he dented the scoresheet.

Edited by LakeLivin

Michael Smith's take on the first skate day at training camp

Here We Go!

“We want it (the pace) to be real quick. We want it to be through the roof,” head coach Bill Peters said. “It happens quick. As a staff, we’d love one or two more days (before a preseason game) but I know, as players, they want to play. So, let’s play.

Attended the entire training camp today.. A few tidbits...

There was a decent turnout as far as fans.  Probably somewhere between 100-200 people.

Did not see John Forsland, Tripp was sitting by himself.

Everyone seemed in good spirits.  I wouldn't say it was overly intense, but the players seemed to be down to business.  Lot less laughing and joking around than usual.

Group A was by far the best out there, and I think coach Peters felt the same way (I'll explain in a second).  I thought Lindholm, Rask, and Skinner looked pretty good.  I was specifically looking forward to seeing Brett Pesce, as he's coming off a successful college season, and Traverse tourney.  He looked pretty good out there.  I was proud of him.  Also Tyler Ganly looked pretty good out there as well.

The scrimmage was a little rusty.  It kind of looked like a street game for the most part.  I believe group A won by a considerable margin.  Coach Peters sat with GMRF to evaluate the players as they played.  Rod coach one group, S. Smith coached the other.

Group B didn't seem as sharp as group A.  Coach Peters kept stopping drills to correct mistakes made by players.  To save the suspense, he made groups B and C do additional skating drills that he didn't make group A do, which was very noticeable by the people in the area I was sitting.  Faulk looked good, Versteeg looked good.  Jordan flung a wrist shot that nailed the goalie square in the face, kinda scary moment, but everything was ok.  Wiz and Hanifin were the only two players from group C that were fully dressed, waiting on the bench as group B was still practicing.  That is a great sign, as you can tell they were both ready to go.

Group C, I didn't get the best look at because I walked to the deck to get food, and from up there you can't tell who is who for the most part.  From the little I did see, Hanifin looked pretty good.  I think he has the inside track on making the roster, seeing as though he was paired with Wiz the entire time.  Think they already have a 2nd pairing in mind.

Tweets from day 2 on ice training

Chip Alexander @ice_chip 5h5 hours ago

Canes ready for second-day scrimmage at PNC Arena. Lack, MacIntyre in the nets to start.

Wisniewski working with Hanifin on D. Faulk and Fleury.

Tolchinsky playing with some fire on the forecheck, hounding Wisniewski, Hanifin. Wiz, finally having had enough, sat him down,

JStaal making some nice power moves to the net. That can't be a pleasant sight if you're the one in net.

Tolchinsky with nice breakaway goal on 3-on-3.

Versteeg with steal off Wisniewski leads to 3-on-3 goal by Faulk and that's it for the scrimmage.

Michael Smith @MSmithCanes 5h5 hours ago

Tic-tac-goal: J. Staal to Versteeg to Tolchinsky for the one-timer. Nice.

Tolchinsky (surprise!) and Faulk had goals in 3-on-3. Really fun to watch.

Just got back from the Red and White scrimmage. Some observations:

First observation: it is basically impossible to really watch all 12 guys on the ice at any one time. It is soooo much easier to just watch your team vs an opponent. Like twice as easy. Cane's must video this thing and break that down later. The best I could do was track a few guys I really wanted to watch, and try to notice any remarkable plays.

Second observation: nice crowd. They had basically 1/2 the lower bowl open and it was pretty full. There is an interest in Raleigh hockey. Just need some wins.

OK. I'll start with the lead:

Noah Hanifin is the real deal. Hayden Fluery will probably not be quite as good as Hanifin, but he will be very good, though I tend to think he needs another year at least. (I so wish that year could be in Charlotte, but it will have to be in Junior hockey).

Our defensive situation is very strong long term, but even this year there are nice, more seasoned prospects available than Hanifin. To wit the ones w/ mostly AHL or more college time were on the ice today. To my eye Hanifin is arealdy as good or better than all of them and displays that it factor better than any of them. Is Hanifin going to beat out Hainsey or Wisniewski? No, but he doesn't have to. He has to beat out Jordan, and Rissanen and Pesce and Biega and Murphy. I think he will. (Speaking of Murphy, not on the ice, but w/ Fleury and McKeown and Pesce etc, that is one kid who better start showing his chops fast).

Fluery is big and skates very well. He seems very confident in the offensive zone. He made plays there today as well as in Traverse City. He looks the part and his skills are evident. But he seems to get rattled and want to give up the puck quickly. This leads to turnovers and and he had a couple and a couple more near ones today. He needs to get that settled calm that Hanifin already has, a full year younger.

Hanifin, also big, also skates well, but generaly does not rush things and holy cow can that kid pass it up the ice tape to tape. Fleury's d zone and neutral zone passes are still a bit off, but Hanifin generally snaps them right on target. Hanifin also shows skill in the o zone, thought that will probably take a while to get to NHL standards, he can walk the blueline and keep the puck in skillfully right now.

So, in a game where Tolchinsky played well but didn't drop jaws, Hanifin stood out to me.

Tolchnisky did play well, but I didn't think he had his best game. That said, he does a few things that really could have him make the team: mainly, of course, he generates chances with super high offsive skills. These include really nice nifty little passes in tight spaces, not just slick moves on net. He also works hard on the boards and makes slick plays there to maintain possession in a St Louis kind of way. Then there are his moves to the net and his shot. The guy might make the team just on 3 on 3 potential. On a scoring starved team, if he doesn't make it straight up, he will see time during the year.

Ryan did seem to be making things happen out there. It will be interesting to watch him in camp.

My boy, McGinn had a face mask on and must have had an injury. He played well, but didn't stand out, but may have been playing injured.

3 on 3, an interesting thing is changes. Guys getting caught on the ice will be a big issue. Hanifin got caught out there, but handled it well.

Anways gotta run.

Edited by remkin

My boy, McGinn had a face mask on and must have had an injury. He played well, but didn't stand out, but may have been playing injured.

Per Mike Smith @MSmithCanes:

Brock McGinn sporting a cage today. Took an elbow/helmet/stick right to the face in Traverse City. Missed the last game.

Eight Observations from Red-White Scrimmage - By Michael Smith

The Hurricanes trimmed their camp roster by eight players after Sunday’s scrimmage to bring their total to 49 before they hit the road for their first pair of preseason match-ups. Forwards Clark Bishop, Steven Lorentz, Niki Petti, Nicolas Roy and Spencer Smallman; defensemen Kyle Jenkins and Josh Wesley; and goaltender Callum Booth all will now join their respective junior clubs.

Tonight's game on NHL network? Any way to see it for those of us w/ AT&T which does not offer NHL network? Any on line option?

CSN Mid Atlantic will have it according to the Caps web site. Maybe they'll have a feed.