The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2015 Training Camp and Pre-Season

I feel this extension was a bit premature. I would have liked to have seen him play a solid 10 games before extending. I still have no idea how good Lack is. Schneider from NJ was also from Van and look how that turned out for NJ. I guess this is a message to Ward as well. If the team can resign Ward for 3.5 - 4m then goaltending long term will be in very good shape. Remember my fellow Canes fans. It was Gerber who secured the team home ice in 2006. 1

He also bailed the team out in round 3 of the playoffs.

TLDR? Goaltending tandems are great to have.

Edited by bluedevil58

Don't agree bd58, because the signing IMHO has several caveats other than the obvious. Whereas it does come with some "risk", at the very least, the Canes do have a  good backup, if not their new primary goalie. More importantly, it puts Cam as well as Cam's agent on notice as to their possible status, that of "backup". The extension of that is, IMHO, by doing so, it somewhat offsets the NTC,because if Cam does not accept the lessor role, and by extension, reduced salary, he'll then have to go where GMRF sends him.

And should Lack not work, and Cam does reassert himself than you have a contract that can be tradeable.,

Edited by KJUNKANE

I agree Kjun if the Lack contract doesn't work its not a contract that can't be managed. I think Lack will work out fine but we won't know for a little while. The Lack contract gives RF options with Ward.  Lack is playing for the number one spot and Ward is playing for a contract and a number one spot. A little competition never hurts...does it?

While I think they have seen enough on the ice to feel confident in the Lack extension, I'd be willing to bet that his presence in the room has a lot to do with it too.  While I'm on the outside looking in, I'd have to say that the room has been missing something for a long time.

Worst case scenario is that it's a slight over payment for a quality backup.

Edited by super_dave_1

In addition to our preseason games, given the tape available to teams, I'd bet Canes mgmt has seen Lack in almost all of his 86 NHL games. Unlike Kudo's 21(?) NHL games before we got him, Lack has a big enough body of work that I suspect GMRF knew what he wanted to do with him before the trade was even finalized. Like others mentioned, small risk here, and if Ward had gotten off to a poor start while Lack shined to start the season, I'm guessing a mutually agreeable price might have been a bit higher than the $2.75m AAV. I don't see much reason to wait, especially not knowing how long negotiations were going to take before any agreement was reached.

Edited by LakeLivin

Good point. I also have had the feeling the room may have been missing something for awhile. Lack is a character and I mean that in a good way. Pass the Taco, this season could be a lot of fun

No doubt the locker room was a plus. The fist line of Francis press release:

“Eddie has been a great addition to our locker room,” said Francis.

In addition to our preseason games, given the tape available to teams, I'd bet Canes mgmt has seen Lack in almost all of his 86 NHL games. Unlike Kudo's 21(?) NHL games before we got him, Lack has a big enough body of work that I suspect GMRF knew what he wanted to do with him before the trade was even finalized. .

Oh you mean professional scouts actually do work and it isn't just a ceremonial role?

One thing I like about RF is he has bolstered the staff in that area.  

I think Francis can have Peters roll Lack out there half the time, equal or better Cam, which would then be three years in a row where Lack has been as good or better than Cam, and offer Cam Eddie Lack money. If he takes it, we have a really good, reasonably priced tandem. If not, we get some return on Cam, and Eddie is the man.

Whew- just got done readin some voluminous postings.  Some of Y'all must really love to type.  Got me thinkin bout the church lady for awhile."isnt that special"  It is painfully obvious we are quite ready to exit this training camp and move to substantive hockey where the speculation can end on one aspect and begin anew in another vein(i.e actual performance) .  I for 1 am ready to drink some beer, perhaps don the helmet and see some real point gettin hockey.  Goodbye preseason 2015.  See all Y'all(as they say in the south) Saturday.

Soooo, mods not sure where to place this, but starting to see a few teams up against the Cap starting to squirm! Philly placed Andy McDonald on waivers, do we take a chance or is our D roster filled?

Soooo, mods not sure where to place this, but starting to see a few teams up against the Cap starting to squirm! Philly placed Andy McDonald on waivers, do we take a chance or is our D roster filled?

I think we think we're okay. Surviving the Pitt onslaught the other night was pretty impressive and we have a great mix of old hands, guys just peaking (read: Faulk), and youth at all stages of development.

Edited by top-shelf-1

And while I agree in principle with you top, still someone like McDonald could be just a little more "buffer" for the Yutes, for that extra bit of seasoning we often mention. Could also make those like JML or Jordan somewhat expendible? while I agree that the most critical need may be on the other side of the puck?

There is a version of this idea going on in the offseason thread too since it was pointed out that we have an open roster spot.

Probably not the end of the world to have it in both since both threads are on their last legs, since it will soon be neither training camp or offseason!!!!!

And while I agree in principle with you top, still someone like McDonald could be just a little more "buffer" for the Yutes, for that extra bit of seasoning we often mention. Could also make those like JML or Jordan somewhat expendible? while I agree that the most critical need may be on the other side of the puck?

Those guys are under contract and I think the preseason gave BP confidence that they will fill the need, and I don't think either of them (or them together) brings you much back to help out the front end, which itself is deeper this year than it has been in a long time.

I have to feel like BP has invested his whole first year in determining who he wants in "his group," and that the 22 guys now on the roster are those he's wanting to run with. I'll be very surprised if the lineup we see Thursday night isn't the lineup for at least the first month, unless we absolutely tumble out of the gate.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Noah Hanifin didn't even make the list.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=781725&navid=DL|NHL|home

It looks like once again we are flying under the radar.  The flat out ignorance of not listing the southern markets prospects is disgusting.  

Have to agree.

While it is not a long term predictor of success, it is worth noting that both Dylan Strome and Mitch Marner were sent back to Juniors, along with every other first round pick not named some part of McEichel. Not even the 9 day try out.

Three 18 year olds stay in the NHL: McDavid, Eichel, Hanifin, edit, ok I guess Rantanen made his squad. But it is supposed to be harder to make it as a defenseman. That includes that oft compared Weresnski, and the "most NHL ready" Provorov, neither of whom remain in the NHL.

I think Fluery will be a very good dman. But even at a year younger, Hanifin is already a couple of notches better than the second dman taken last year.

Well, we know. This kid will be not just special but very special.

Edited by remkin

It will be interesting to compare Werenski and Hanifin 4 or 5 years down the road.  Up to now their career paths have been uncannily similar (and to a big extent their stats as well).  But Werenski goes back to college for another year while Hanifin jumps into the NHL.  Based on the scouting reports I think we can rightly expect a bit more from Hanifin, but these two might comprise as good a "controlled" comparison of the 2 development routes as we're likely to see for a while. 

Edited by LakeLivin

I agree Lake. Columbus might not need him up there as bad as we need Hanifin. Conventional wisdom is saying that Werenski back to college was a good move.  And I have to think that for 99% of 18 year old defensemen that is true.

But if you have a prodigy with the physical frame, I have to think getting a year of NHL under you belt is better. I am looking at Ekblad, a true 1% er if not .1% er. That kid is going to be better this year than had he not played in the NHL last year.

Hanifin already looks at relative ease in the fastest hockey on Earth. I worried about the idea of him playing this year when we picked him, since so few defenseman can do that, but I'm feeling pretty good about Hanifin after watching him a few times.

Werenski will be a very good dman in the NHL, but my money is on Hanifin being one of those guys people talk about regulalry.

Edited by remkin

I agree Lake. Columbus might not need him up there as bad as we need Hanifin. Conventional wisdom is saying that Werenski back to college was a good move.  And I have to think that for 99% of 18 year old defensemen that is true.

But if you have a prodigy with the physical frame, I have to think getting a year of NHL under you belt is better. I am looking at Ekblad, a true 1% er if not .1% er. That kid is going to be better this year than had he not played in the NHL last year.

Hanifin already looks at relative ease in the fastest hockey on Earth. I worried about the idea of him playing this year when we picked him, since so few defenseman can do that, but I'm feeling pretty good about Hanifin after watching him a few times.

Werenski will be a very good dman in the NHL, but my money is on Hanifin being one of those guys people talk about regulalry.

He watches tape of his every shift to see where he can do better.   How many 18 year old prospects do that? 

Heard an interview with Noah this morning on the radio and I'm completely blown away by this guy.   Wow.

I think back to Jack Johnson at that age, and there's no comparison.  

Heard an interview with Noah this morning on the radio and I'm completely blown away by this guy.   Wow.

I think back to Jack Johnson at that age, and there's no comparison.  

Jack who?

Well it's technically still pre-season, so I'll drop this here.

An article by Luke in the N/O about Hanifin had this quote:

The game has changed,” Peters said. “You’re looking at big guys that are mobile, puck-friendly guys and Hedman and Ekblad and Hanifin, that’s what they do. They move the puck, they skate very well and they fit the modern game. The modern game is all about carrying offense from the back end and getting the puck up as fast as you can.”

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article38094015.html#storylink=cpy

It actually got me thinking of Fleury. While he is not as preternaturally gifted as Hanifin, Fleury is still capable of developing into that same sort of "new NHL" defenseman. When he does (not if) we will be stacked back there.