The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2015 Training Camp and Pre-Season

There is no way to put a good spin on Wards outing. He had a challenging and less than stellar performance. It's early yet and I don't think it's fair to judge anyone on one early outing. But competition is going to be fierce for the job. The players including Ward don't have a lot of time to make their case. As the training camp roster is trimmed and we get to see more of the players together that have a real shot we should know more.

Well not defending him but I will cut him some slack because Cam basically faced an all star team with an AHL team defending them in front of him.....sooo, I'm not gonna make to much of this game since its his first pre season outing. Game number 2 for Cam better be a complete turn around or he won't be in net opening night cause that's about as bad as it gets.

This may however be a sign of how powerful Pitts is gonna be with Kessel added to the fire power. I mean look at that line up, I'm jealous.

You don't need to worry about Kessel.  He's fat, out of shape, and has a bad attitude. He'll hurt the Pens more than he'll help them.. I know because a bunch of members on this board told me so.  :P:lol:

Edited by LakeLivin

You don't need to worry about Kessel.  He's fat, out of shape, and has a bad attitude. He'll hurt the Pens more than he'll help them.. I know because a bunch of members on this board told me so.  :P:lol:

Yeah, I remember, we didn't need his 60-70points per year here. I would have celebrated all summer if we landed him. Oh well, he didn't want to come here anyway I'm sure. Hopefully we have a good enough year that we start attracting some players again next summer.

Hey everyone! I'm back too!!

Pre-Season is pre-season. Not putting much weight in what happens, as long as we don't lose anyone to injuries.

Welcome back hopper.  I second the no :censored:  sentiment.

Welcome back hopper.  I second the no injury sentiment.

Can we ask Mods to block posts that are potentially disaster causing?  If so, please focus attention on OBXer and hopper915 and take all necessary action. 

Any use of the offensive word "injury" or its derivatives should be blocked, deleted, purged - whatever it takes!  Please!

Else, I enjoy all of their other posts :)

Can we ask Mods to block posts that are potentially disaster causing?  If so, please focus attention on OBXer and hopper915 and take all necessary action. 

Any use of the offensive word "injury" or its derivatives should be blocked, deleted, purged - whatever it takes!  Please!

Hater.... :P

Well if the guys need any more motivation, Vegas has us as the 29th most likely team to make the playoffs. Only Arizona is seen as less likely. A bet on us getting in would, in theory, pay 3:1.

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2015/09/22/vegas-odds-for-every-nhl-teams-playoff-chances/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

This of course, for entertainment purposes only. I would never suggest anyone actually bet anything. Just a concrete way of showing the national expectations of those that put money on these things.

On the bright side there were similar expections from the know it alls in 05-06.

Edited by remkin

I will send myself to the penalty box and serve a 5 minute major. Any additional mention of the word in question will result in a board misconduct. :bag:

Well not defending him but I will cut him some slack because Cam basically faced an all star team with an AHL team defending them in front of him.....sooo, I'm not gonna make to much of this game since its his first pre season outing. Game number 2 for Cam better be a complete turn around or he won't be in net opening night cause that's about as bad as it gets.

This may however be a sign of how powerful Pitts is gonna be with Kessel added to the fire power. I mean look at that line up, I'm jealous.

But Tirronen only let in 1 against the same All Star team.  Still, we have 4 games to find out whether he's our #1B or our #2 goalie.n :)

I was lucky enough to see both games.  Finding something from last night that would play was challenging.

Anyway, if Ward has another outing like that it may be decided pretty quickly.  He was terrible.  He had clear views of pucks and just was too slow to react.

Lack's boxscore looked good, but he gave up tons of rebounds.  So, he stopped pucks and some good second chances but he has some things to tighten up as well.  But nothing like Cam's issues from last night.

Personally, I didn't expect Ward to individually look so rusty, but hopefully that's all it was.  We'll see.

Edited by coastal_caniac

On Tolchinsky.

I have to admit I'm still on the fence on his short-term "readiness", but I thought he asserted himself well in Washington.  He was good on the forecheck, seemed to be able to make space for himself, and seemed aware of the game situation (i.e. he wasn't putting himself in positions to get slobber-knocked).  He did get out-muscled and coughed the puck up which led to the second goal. 

Interestingly, he was up against OV a lot, so credit to him. 

With that said, I can't see him ahead of Ryan, or Terry, or Woods to make the team at this point.  I really like what I saw from Woods, he's a keeper most definitely.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Good stuff Coastal.

I am just going to whistle past the graveyard and write Ward's game off on rust, but he'll have probably two more starts and he better have a really good one in there or we might see Lack on opening night. Certainly that would be Cam's net if he does tighten it up fast. He did not last year. It took presason and the entire month of October.

I didn't catch the last game, but your thoughts on Woods are intersting, I hadn't really been watching him. Given his size and stats one would think he's a 4th line banger who would need to beat out either Malone or Nordstom? He is definitely bigger than both of them though.

I think Tolshinksy, Ryan and Terry and to a lesser degree DiGiuseppe and McGinn are all in the race for that #9 top forward to go w/ Nestrasil and Nash. Terry has the inside track most likely I would think.

I've been following Woods since we acquired him.  Remember, he has the pedigree, and prospects from NHL parents seem to be worth keeping an eye on.

And yes, I think he's a fouth line banger, so, maybe I should have said first callup, but I think he makes the team before Tolchinsky, or even McGinn, at some point. Just seems like a Peters kind of player.  He brings some stuff down on guys too.  I like his game, and I see a role for him, but we'll see what happens when the first cut is made. 

I'd bet he makes that cut.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I've been following Woods since we acquired him.  Remember, he has the pedigree, and prospects from NHL parents seem to be worth keeping an eye on.

And yes, I think he's a fouth line banger, so, maybe I should have said first callup, but I think he makes the team before Tolchinsky, or even McGinn, at some point. Just seems like a Peters kind of player.  He brings some stuff down on guys too.  I like his game, and I see a role for him, but we'll see what happens when the first cut is made. 

I'd bet he makes that cut.

I've mentioned Woods a few times recently but failed to get a response/support. I hope he makes it, he brings size and toughness, and this team needs toughness.

In his call-ups last year I thought he played with an edge and went to the net (another thing this team needs). He didn't look overwhelmed or out of place.

He sounded pretty motivated in his interview a month or two back.

Anyway, glad to see his name mentioned.

I've mentioned Woods a few times recently but failed to get a response/support. I hope he makes it, he brings size and toughness, and this team needs toughness.

In his call-ups last year I thought he played with an edge and went to the net (another thing this team needs). He didn't look overwhelmed or out of place.

He sounded pretty motivated in his interview a month or two back.

Anyway, glad to see his name mentioned.

Agree with you and coastal. I think he could be the next Dwyer in the short term, but with more "hit." 

Anybody else curious about the lack of mention/involvement re McClement and Liles? Are we just giving the old salts a little time to get up to speed? 

Welcome back, we already have a resident Staal hater, might as well have a Cam hater too.

Maybe now we can make soup.

6 goals on 21 shots is bad, real bad.  Really don't know how you make an excuse for that.

Dude, you can paint me however you like, but to be clear, I'm a Staal lover. The 2005-'06 Staal. Or even the '08-'09 version.

When either of those Erics shows up, I'll be his loudest supporter. Lord knows this would be a good year to see him again.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Good stuff Coastal.

I am just going to whistle past the graveyard and write Ward's game off on rust, but he'll have probably two more starts and he better have a really good one in there or we might see Lack on opening night. Certainly that would be Cam's net if he does tighten it up fast. He did not last year. It took presason and the entire month of October.

I didn't catch the last game, but your thoughts on Woods are intersting, I hadn't really been watching him. Given his size and stats one would think he's a 4th line banger who would need to beat out either Malone or Nordstom? He is definitely bigger than both of them though.

I think Tolshinksy, Ryan and Terry and to a lesser degree DiGiuseppe and McGinn are all in the race for that #9 top forward to go w/ Nestrasil and Nash. Terry has the inside track most likely I would think.

Though my "excuses" were offered sarcastically - Cam was without question straight-up BAD in Pitt - we have to allow him the same one we give every player: It's the first pre-season game. Now, if he's not up to speed by the next start, I start to wonder. Just a bit. But old bones do take a little longer. (And I speak from direct experience :lol:  )

This team is actually pretty rich in forward talent, or at least real prospects, for the first time in years. In addition to the guys you list, there's still Gerbe as a potential 9-guy, and while they're likely headed for CLT, Hensick and Shugg are just (still) more depth. GMRF, combined with the attitude that every slot is open to whomever earns it, is already making a big difference. Competition for NHL slots will only get better with all the picks in the pipeline.

Edited by top-shelf-1

There are years of evidence to this issue, and it's more of a lifetime achievement award in some cases.

As has been stated though, 6 goals on 21 shots is not defendable by even the biggest fan-boy.

Never have been a fan of Cam and have written numerous post on the all inclusive goalie debate. What I was trying to point out is the use of " hater " to diminish  the opinion or feelings of others that they may disagree with. to me the use of  " hater " is a lazy childish way to dismiss an argument. 

My feelings and opinion are that the league got too excited in the voting for the trophy in our SC year.I also believe JR stepped into a big pile when he started handing out big contracts and NTC's  to what were newbies. And last thought was that Cam got homered into that ASG. Chalk that up to SC hangover because the season we were into at that time his numbers were about the 20th best goalie in the league.

Edited by winger52

Dude, you can paint me however you like, but to be clear, I'm a Staal lover. The 2005-'06 Staal. Or even the '08-'09 version.

When either of those Erics shows up, I'll be his loudest supporter. Lord knows this would be a good year to see him again.

Never have been a fan of Cam and have written numerous post on the all inclusive goalie debate. What I was trying to point out is the use of " hater " to diminish  the opinion or feelings of others that they may disagree with. to me the use of  " hater " is a lazy childish way to dismiss an argument. 

My feelings and opinion are that the league got too excited in the voting for the trophy in our SC year.I also believe JR stepped into a big pile when he started handing out big contracts and NTC's  to what were newbies. And last thought was that Cam got homered into that ASG. Chalk that up to SC hangover because the season we were into at that time his numbers were about the 20th best goalie in the league.

Yes, a bad choice of words on my part, so my apologies.  Fixed in the OP.

But, there's a history of a member who pops-in here once a year and tries to illicit a reaction by calling out a group of members who have shared a particular opinion on Ward.  Those who haven't been around that long probably don't understand the history.  It happens about this time every year.  As you mentioned winger, it's generally been a fair discussion, and thanks for that. 

Edited by coastal_caniac

But, there's a history of a member who pops-in here once a year and tries to illicit a reaction by calling out a group of members who have shared a particular opinion on Ward.  Those who haven't been around that long probably don't understand the history.  It happens about this time every year.

That would be the winner of the "Hater of the Year" award. Really a lifetime achievement award.

tumblr_ms0ah8XddV1swp729o1_500.gif

edit: I just realized my sig works perfect with this post (pats self on back)

Edited by super_dave_1

Did anyone post the lines Peters was looking at in yesterdays "A" practice yet?

E. Staal-Rask-Lindholm
Gerbe-J. Staal-Nordstrom
Skinner-Nash-Versteeg
Malone-McClement-Nestrasil
Woods-Ryan-Terry on a fifth forward line

The biggest surprise to me is I'd have guessed Nordstrom and Nestrasil would have been reversed. 

Edited by LakeLivin